• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, arguably the best and most famous football player in the world for many is Cristiano Ronaldo. He was expected to repeat being on the cover of the biggest football videogame on the planet, let alone EA's most important franchise (remember when EA thought a soccer game would flop in the 90s? those were the days). And said cover art for FIFA 19 was this:

71UzDkknudL.AC_SL1000_.jpg

But now Ronaldo announced he's leaving Real Madrid in favor of Juventus. Whats gonna happen with this cover art? The game is supposed to come out in a couple of months. Is there precedent to this?

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, arguably the best and most famous football player in the world for many is Cristiano Ronaldo. He was expected to repeat being on the cover of the biggest football videogame on the planet, let alone EA's most important franchise (remember when EA thought a soccer game would flop in the 90s? those were the days). And said cover art for FIFA 19 was this:

71UzDkknudL.AC_SL1000_.jpg

But now Ronaldo announced he's leaving Real Madrid in favor of Juventus. Whats gonna happen with this cover art? The game is supposed to come out in a couple of months. Is there precedent to this?
It happened with the pes cpver last year... Neymar was on it but he was sold to psg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Not the first time this has happened

Shit, forgot it happened LAST YEAR
https://cdn.images./dynamic/184/photos/890000/1067890.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably switch it out for his new kit. I'm guessing it won't be a problem for EA and his new club would allow it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They will change it.

Unless you think they'll release the game with no ESRB rating.

They changed the initial cover last year too.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is plenty of time to change the cover, so I dont think this is a big deal.

There is precedence to this though, Brett Favre was on the cover of Madden 08 or 09 as a member of the Packers when he "retired" but then was traded to the Jets in during training camp (so around the time Madden comes out) what they did was kept him in his Green bay packers uniform on the box but offered a sleeve that would allow you to change the cover to him in a Jets uniform.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it should be rectified. Not exactly a rare occurrence either really, see PES as well here:

lgni3tc72lscw5mkk01k.jpg

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I forgot about this. But yeah, there have been multiple examples of stuff like this happening, it's usually not a problem.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is coming in October I take it? Or earlier? I will bet that they are gonna change it

Jun 20, 2018
Gareth Bale was the cover star of FIFA 14 which came out on September 24th. He transferred from Spurs to Real Madrid on September 1st and they changed it in time.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
If only there was a tool that would allow them to modify an image without the need to reshoot their cover star. If only...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It looks like a Youtube fodder thumbnail, it only misses giant arrows pointing to his stupid hair.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Has it ever happened that instead of changing the player's kit they stay with the team and choose another player?

AFAIK it depends on who they've signed with. In this case it is likely Ronaldo so they will change his kit.

With PES 2018 they had signed with Barcelona so when Neymar left for PSG, Konami changed the cover to replace him with another player.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Ronaldo, but that's a really good looking cover.

Too bad they'll probably have to change it.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I think EA's biggest problem is if Ronaldo features as a Real Madrid player in story mode, like in FIFA 18. They may need to rework that in a very short time now.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
They're more likely to just change the shirt than change the player. It's usually the case that the cover player has the highest rating in the game, and since they can't use Messi, it's unlikely they'll make another player have higher stats than Ronaldo.

If they do change the cover player, who will they choose?

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
It's probably too late to change the story stuff though. Last game ended by essentially saying you'd be playing with Ronaldo at Madrid next season. Can't see them changing that in time.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Cover stars changing teams during the offseason has always happened but this was pretty stunning

Honestly if they could switch from Ronaldo they probably would just to get someone in a more relevant league but too late to do that

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half months must be more than enough to change the cover. And they should definitely change it.

The case of PES2018 was different. Neymar moved to PSG the first week of August, and PES came out around September 12, so a little over a month later.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
So glad he's leaving Real. Time for Los Blancos to sign younger, less individual stars.

On topic, I hope they replace him for someone else. It won' happen, for obvious (and contractual) reasons.