• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Apologies if there's already a thread. I didn't even know Fifa 19 Switch was confirmed so seemed noteworthy to me. This is based on an interview with Andrei Lazarescu, who is the Supervising Producer for the new FIFA World Cup mode. The article I'm linking called it a "considerable" jump in graphics but no idea if that's from his mouth or theirs.

on Frostbite in future Fifa Switch games:
"I'm not closing the door on that possibility," he said. "However we didn't want to create a dumbed-down version of the frostbite engine."

On Fifa 18 Switch's custom engine:
"The intent was never to have a one-off custom engine that were never going to touch again,"Lazarescu explained.

"It was to have that as a baseline and then build from there."

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/gaming/401351/fifa-19-release-date-nintendo-switch-review/

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> dont want to create a dumbed-down version of Frostbite
> made an ios version for some reason

granted, I dont think it ever got used

that being said, Fifa 19 existing is surprising to me, I figured EA would have bounced with a "we tried"

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Since the engine is here, works well, and they're probably a small team, the decision is understandable. If they really have to make version that's different from the other machines, I wish they would go the extra mile and try something innovative rather than playing it safe and mimicking the frostbite's versions while removing some content.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Fifa 18 on Switch looked good already. They absolutely must add the ability to play with friends online this time though.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
FIFA 18 was well-made, aside from the online issues (not relevant to me and not surprising on Nintendo hardware). I'm cool with them sticking with the older engine and maintaining that performance.

Although, the lack of Frostbite in FIFA probably doesn't bode well for Madden's chances of coming to Switch. I grew up on American football games, but they seem so stagnant now and I was hoping a portable version might help keep me engaged. Oh well.

EDIT:

FIFA on Switch uses a modified version of the IGNITE engine

Ahhh, didn't catch that. Madden moved from Ignite a year after FIFA, so there might still be hope there. Nice.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FIFA 18 Switch was a really solid game so I support! FIFA 19 will only be even better.

Also 18 on Switch did well enough for them to update the game with World Cup content.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The real news here though is that FIFA 19 is coming to the Switch, that means 18 must have sold well on the platform wich is good news!

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With how far the camera is away in Fifa games I doubt any graphical upgrades would make a big difference

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear, whether you like Fifa or not, having a non legacy edition fifa is good for the system

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Great. FIFA 18 was a great release, but the post-launch support was poor (no video capture support for example). Now if only they could bring NHL over as well...

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
I had no doubts FIFA 19 was coming to switch. Sales were solid and done decent enough numbers.

While konami won't bother with PES on switch at least EA are giving us something.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I have no issue with this, the problem wasn't the graphics (as the Switch version looks pretty dam good already) - it just needs feature parity in regards to the other aspects of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't really get the logic in simply modifying Ignite and not Frostbite. The only explanation I can get is that Frostbite is still in flux unlike Ignite so porting it is more of a pain. Is that it?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people saying wether or not EA should port Frostbite and there was 2 answers :
1)They port it for FIFA 18, cost more budget/ressources but other port will be way cheaper to make, go this way if EA trusted in the Switch.

2)Don't port Frostbite, FIFA 18 Switch is cheaper to do but if it sell well and they continue making FIFA on Switch, it's a bad decision since they'll have to port Frostbite someday, this is the way to go if you expect the Switch to fail.

Now we know how it went.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
They say a lot of things.

Mmm, so:

EA: "We are going to continue working on the Switch engine to offer an even better dedicated experience. We are satisfied by Fifa18 sales so here we have Fifa19 Switch"
ErA: "Nah, it sold like crap, they are going to drop the support to the console, they will just offer a legacy edition"

Uhm.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
So it going to be as feature complete as the PS4/XB1 SKU?

Hopefully. The only major features FIFA 18 was missing were The Journey and playing online with friends AFAIK.

The World Cup content added had a lot of nice changes and new stadia.

Haven't checked it out. If they added video capture I will be very happy. God knows how many moments/glitches I would have loved to capture.

To be fair to them, I don't know why Nintendo didn't have the foresight of making it universal instead of requiring developers to patch in support. Supposedly it's based on Tegra features.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see it confirmed and it seemingly won't just be a Legacy Edition with only a roster change.

But where's Madden 19 on Switch though? :(

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Fifa 18 looks really good on Switch at 1080p/60fps. If Fifa 19 can look better then this is even better, also news that Fifa 19 is coming to Switch, YES !!!

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
Apologies if there's already a thread. I didn't even know Fifa 19 Switch was confirmed so seemed noteworthy to me. This is based on an interview with Andrei Lazarescu, who is the Supervising Producer for the new FIFA World Cup mode. The article I'm linking called it a "considerable" jump in graphics but no idea if that's from his mouth or theirs.

on Frostbite in future Fifa Switch games:

On Fifa 18 Switch's custom engine:

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/gaming/401351/fifa-19-release-date-nintendo-switch-review/
Awesome. If it wasn't for all the bugs Fifa 18 was great.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleased. Frostbite ruined career mode with those crappy cutscenes that take place for every transfer and contract negotiation so as long as they don't appear in the Switch version I'll buy it.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "custom engine" was made because they thought Switch will fail and porting frostbite to Switch would be to much investment.

Now they are sitting on this custom engine or have to invest again to port frostbite... this is the outcome when marketing experts misread the market.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as someone who doesn't plau sports game much, what does Frostbite Engine add (except Journey mode)? Seems like every sports game play quite similar