• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
www.xfire.com

EXCLUSIVE: FIFA 23 includes cross-play, two World Cups, better tech & more

For the first time in the franchise's history, players across PC, PlayStation and Xbox devices will be able to play together.

One of the biggest changes to this year's FIFA title though, is that it will feature cross-play for the first time in the series' history, bringing FIFA players across the PlayStation, Xbox and PC platforms together for all of the title's game modes.

In addition, FIFA 23 will contain both the men's and women's World Cups, with EA expanding its licensing partnership across all the major leagues to drive and build a single FIFA experience that brings males and females together.

There have been improvements to its new Hypermotion Technology too, which was first introduced in FIFA 22. The technology has been enhanced tenfold, and now allows the development team to capture animations from real footballers in real matches using stadium cameras, eliminating the need for Xsens suits.

This change has resulted in the team being able to capture over 100 times more data in a single league season than they have ever captured in the franchise's entire 29-year history, it was claimed during a recent staff meeting.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Might pick this up for Xbox if it has crossplay. Need to show my mates on ps5 that I still own them.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly this sounds kinda cool but I can't forgive how unattended the Switch version of this game continues to be.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA 22 was honestly really good, by far one of my favorite football games in recent years, after years of me hating FIFA and being very underwhelmed by recent PES.

The Hypermotion stuff does great things for the animations, and it getting improved is nothing other than fantastic news.

OP
OP
Tora

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Does this mean PC will be getting the current-gen version instead of the last-gen version?
Very likely, yes. It wasn't until Fifa 16 (I believe) that EA finally started developing current-gen versions for the PC, so it's similar here.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Cross play is huge, but is it still separated Ultimate Team markets? I really enjoyed Fifa this year (though I already traded it in, FUT was taking too much of my gaming time) so if they iterate on that well, I could very well be in again.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder if that's cross-play with just the new consoles and PC? I thought the engine differences made it tough to do generational cross-play

Makes me feel better about getting the Xbox version though, have nearly jumped to PlayStation a few times since the community there is bigger

OP
OP
Tora

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I wonder if that's cross-play with just the new consoles and PC? I thought the engine differences made it tough to do generational cross-play

Makes me feel better about getting the Xbox version though, have nearly jumped to PlayStation a few times since the community there is bigger
Probably cross play between PC/PS5/Series and a separate crossplay pool for PS4/X1. Similar to BF2042 essentially

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Super crossing my fingers my friends won't get suckered into it again this year. They regularly get into a bad cycle of really being into FUT, not wanting to play anything else and then regret-uninstalling FIFA.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I would guess it depends on how the different versions are coded behind the hood. If they did it via coding best practices, you'd likely just have different features turned on/off depending on which platform you're on. On PS4? Use the last gen physics & AI logic. On PS5? Use the next gen physics & AI logic. If that is the case, there's no reason why when a PS5 player matches with a PS4 player, they couldn't drop the PS5 version down into last gen gameplay to make it work. I'm *really* hoping this is how it works, and how it will work for NHL 23 as well.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Played a lot of Pro Clubs on 11~14 until the group entered in the new generation and everyone choosed diferent platforms, so this would be awesome.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Women's national teams have been in there for years but they need to start adding the club teams and leagues in too.

EDIT: Looks like that is happening, awesome! Reading the article I though it was just the World Cup they were adding.

Last edited:

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought FIFA in years, but it's good to see cross play being implemented. I'll wait to check this out on EA play.

I'm more interested in seeing what EA does with the game if they do end up dropping the license.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Women's national teams have been in there for years but they need to start adding the club teams and leagues in too.

EDIT: Looks like that is happening, awesome! Reading the article I though it was just the World Cup they were adding.

If they have women leagues then I might just buy my first FIFA game in a while

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
Crossplay will be a good addition for people outside of EU. Never really had matchmaking issues, but always heard the complains from NA players in high Divisions.
Also maybe a good side effect PC should not get a last gen Version and there cheating problem in FUT Drafts will be fixed.
Excited to see If the FUT market will be crossplay too and how this will change stuff.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I can play FIFA after a long time.

I miss playing FIFA 11 and FIFA World Cup 2010 with my friends.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Didnt they say they are ready to drop the FIFA name like as soon as this year?