• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
ir.ea.com

EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23 Delivers Massive Opening Week

Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) celebrated a record-breaking launch of EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23 with over 10.3 million players within the first week, signaling the biggest launch period in EA SPORTS FIFA franchise history. PHOTO: EA SPORTS “The response from our fans has been nothing short of...

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) celebrated a record-breaking launch of EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23with over 10.3 million players within the first week, signaling the biggest launch period in EA SPORTS FIFAfranchise history.

"The response from our fans has been nothing short of incredible, and we're thrilled that our community is playing with their favourite players and teams across FIFA 23 in record numbers, " said Nick Wlodyka, SVP, GM of EA SPORTS FC. "With both the Men's and Women's World Cups, and exciting updates to our women's club football content in game still yet to come, we're just getting started on providing players with the most authentic and immersive experience yet."

With more than 300 partners, 19,000 players, 700 teams, 100 stadiums and 30 leagues around the world, EA SPORTS FIFA 23 is the only place fans can play on the world's biggest stage in both the Men's and Women's FIFA World Cup™ tournaments,* as well as in the iconic UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Europa Conference League, CONMEBOL Libertadores, CONMEBOL Sudamericana, Premier League, LaLiga Santander, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and Serie A, all in one game.

EA SPORTS also recently partnered with one of the world's largest entertainment brands in Marvel to bring iconic football heroes to the pitch in FIFA 23 Ultimate Team™. Recognizing their memorable careers for club and country, each FIFA World Cup™ FUT Hero will receive a special illustrated FUT item at the launch of the World Cup game mode. AFC Richmond and everyone's favourite mustachioed manager, Ted Lasso, are also playable in FIFA 23, as the Greyhounds join Wrexham AFC in the Rest of World section of clubs within the game.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lasso-ted.gif

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
God, I dislike FIFA so much. It's crazy to me that people even play this game and buy it every year.

If it is your thing, then go for it I guess, but my god I get so bored every time I play it.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
God, I dislike FIFA so much. It's crazy to me that people even play this game and buy it every year.

If it is your thing, then go for it I guess, but my god I get so bored every time I play it.

Not really surprising.
what alternatives are there for the biggest and most popular sport in the world.
PES? Nah

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If you want to think about how 'out of touch' with most of gaming Era is...

Think about how little anybody on this forum chats about this game, it practically doesn't even exist here. Yet its had 10.3 million players in a heartbeat.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
Not really surprising.
what alternatives are there for the biggest and most popular sport in the world.
PES? Nah
I love football a lot myself. I am from a latino country. But it's fucked up to see how much EA and these companies toy with these fans, and they don't seem to care much about it. I believe it has something to do with most of them not being really into the media, so they don't even care to complain about stuff. But still, it's fucked up to see that level of player abuse by a company.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers literally spending thousands on virtual cards in that very popular pay to win mode is a proper awful example for many players who then pursue to do the same, and they're not as well equipped money as those streamers.

Get fucked.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Might not perform as big at launch, but i suspect EA has a well detailed marketing plan starting from next year.

The audience is going to know.

Yeah EA is going to make sure the marketing message basically connects the dots between FIFA -> EA Sports FC.

Expect to hear about EA 'continuing' their 'football legacy'.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
FIFA is going to regret their decision soon enough

Might not perform as big at launch, but i suspect EA has a well detailed marketing plan starting from next year.

Exactly. Amounts of money EA would spend on "FIFA" brand would goes to the marketing and they'll be firing on all cylinder.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I love football a lot myself. I am from a latino country. But it's fucked up to see how much EA and these companies toy with these fans, and they don't seem to care much about it. I believe it has something to do with most of them not being really into the media, so they don't even care to complain about stuff. But still, it's fucked up to see that level of player abuse by a company.

oh absolutely, i agree on that part. Which is why also stopped caring about Fifa since a few years.
Maybe with FIFA Name going to other developers it will finally offer a healthy competition...but even then i have little hope given how much licenses EA has under their belt.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
oh absolutely, i agree on that part. Which is why also stopped caring about Fifa since a few years.
Maybe with FIFA Name going to other developers it will finally offer a healthy competition...but even then i have little hope given how much licenses EA has under their belt.

Without the underlying licenses the FIFA brand is basically useless.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot better than Fifa 22 so that's not surprising. Really glad with the game this year.

Kintraills

May 24, 2022
If someone still ask why people buy this every year, I'll tell you my side...I spend $60 on ephemeral stuff like ordering food or going to movies and stuff like that, I don't have an issue spending that same money on something that will give 300+ hours of playtime along the year. I understand that for people who only watch videos or play it very casually, it can look the same, but for people who spent a lot of time playing it the gameplay changes feel immediately, buying the next entry is refreshing because after that many hours, the meta can get boring, especially the years where the meta is sh*t, I don't even play FUT so I don't need to be up do date for the cards but it just feels nice to be able to use different ways of play with each new entry. And I live in a country where the USD is 1:4 to my currency and still is kind of a good deal for a whole year for me, I can only imagine how much easier and cheaper would be if it were 1:1.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019

Love the fact that your name is also Juan. Made me chuckle a little bit.

Sylmeria

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2022
The gameplay stopped making strides forward with Fifa14.
This.

The game stopped at FIFA 14 and after that is just a new cover with a few new animations and the same price tag.

This could be just the World Cup hype.. I haven't bought a FIFA game in years because of the almost non existent improvements in the core game and also the ports for PC are just trash.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

I heard a rumour a while back about a studio that got venture capitalist funding to create a new football game with 'realism' at the heart of it. Not sure what happened to that but sounded interesting...

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This.

The game stopped at FIFA 14 and after that is just a new cover with a few new animations and the same price tag.

This could be just the World Cup hype.. I haven't bought a FIFA game in years because of the almost non existent improvements in the core game and also the ports for PC are just trash.

In part true with respect to gameplay. FIFA is a 20+ million seller annually for over a decade now. The sport is growing in NA. So this outcome is not surprising but rather expected.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really curious to see how FIFA does without EA, I think they'll just go hard with licencing for mobile games, but they have to know they aren't getting anything close to what they have in the console space and offer pretty much nothing for anyone to try.

I have a friend who buys it every year, plays for like 5 hours tops, complains about it, doesn't play it again and then repeats. Always just baffled by it, yet without fail he'll be there day 1 (he even subs to EA Play to barely play the trial version lol).

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Early days but this year's game feels pretty good. Tackling is very satisfying, pace is not as overpowered as before.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Games been fun this year

Actual quality on PC too which is nice, except for that shit anti-cheat

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I'm really enjoying the game this year, gameplay is the best it's been in years. I made Ted Lasso the manager of Brentford FC. I love dumb shit like that.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
FIFA is going to regret their decision soon enough

Might be unrealted, but in Steam, FIFA 23 is called "EA Sports FIFA 23". FIFA 22 was just "FIFA22". I think they named it that way because FC will be calld EA SPORTS FC.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I like the game but the fact that Seasons mode is still bugged just like FIFA22 and FIFA21 before it, it's beyond frustrating.
When playing seasons mode, there's a "Restrictive Matchmaking" setting which by descriptions states it will match you up against a team of equal star rating. So if you play as an average 3 star teams, it will only find matches against other average 3 star teams. Pretty simple concept, right? Most people want a fair game.

But nope, not EA, even with this setting enabled, your average 3star team will get matched up against 5 star teams such as PSG, Liverpool, Bayern etc.

Makes the whole mode unplayable.

EA's lack of attention to anything that isn't Ultimate Team is sickening.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you want to think about how 'out of touch' with most of gaming Era is...

Think about how little anybody on this forum chats about this game, it practically doesn't even exist here. Yet its had 10.3 million players in a heartbeat.

What is there to discuss about fifa? Card prices? Its the kind of game people just pick up and play, find their communities to talk about FUT or something, its not something that leads to constant discussion on an enthusiast board.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
That's why Ea doesn't even try to make the game better. It is not necessary.

Ultimate Team used to be good, but in recent editions it has become a mess with countless exaggerated cards that don't make any sense with the reality of players.

The perfect football game would be FIFA 14 without the overpowered headers.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Is career mode any good? Is the gameplay genuinely decent?

Efootball had a very brief run of being good, but they did what they've been doing for years with PES and made the gameplay worse with patches.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah EA is going to make sure the marketing message basically connects the dots between FIFA -> EA Sports FC.

They've already started. This years game installs as EA Sports FIFA 23 as opposed to FIFA XX as all the previous ones did.

[edit: Just seen that already mentioned].

As for how successful this version has been, I think giving '22 with PS+ in May will have carried over quite a few players. I know prior versions have gone to EA PLAY and Gamepass in the same timeframe but the last was to potentially 10s of millions more players. It worked on me. I had gone cold turkey since '19 but after playing '22 a lot over May & June I preordered '23 and arranged a weeks holiday over its release. Having the Ted Lassi and forthcoming World Cup content was an extra bonus.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Streamers literally spending thousands on virtual cards in that very popular pay to win mode is a proper awful example for many players who then pursue to do the same, and they're not as well equipped money as those streamers.

Get fucked.

Those streamers literally say straight up not to do what they are doing though, you can see the pack luck they get compared to how much money they are spending and that will actually put you off spending money. Last year was actually the least pay to win it's been, I spent nothing and still competed and had a god squad by the time team of the season came around.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If you're into career mode you should try Football Manager (if you haven't already). It runs circles around FIFA.

It's great but I meant the actual playing of the field, I feel like FIFA is a mess there, it feels very different to what I understand of football. I wish it'd be slower, more tactical. That's how it felt playing Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven on PS2, I believe after that gen some Konami designers and devs went to EA (maybe I'm mistaken), FIFA got better and Pro Evo slowly died, but now I feel FIFA is more arcade than ever. Sure, you have a lot of options for attacking and defending but players are such super human beings in this game that it feels ridiculous at times.
Every time I see a match, it's like a different sport to me, and people online plays it like it's a fighting game doing crazy inputs to perform weird acrobatics or running like madmen all over the field.

I've been out for at about a decade tho, I've tried 22 on game pass but I haven't played FIFA since 15 or so. It's not my game and clearly people love it so, it's not my position to ask anything. I just wish there'd be more alternatives. Apparently we're going towards that future now that FIFA will be doing its own thing even if I don't expect anything "better".