• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Rules anaylst is wrong.

The defender is playing the ball due to the defender making the run. And the attacker is the vicinity and going for the ball, involved in the play
that's called offside usually
Rule is that the attacker has to be playing or actively trying to play the ball (or blocking the goalkeeper's vision), otherwise no offside. I think given that she doesn't jump and challenge for the ball, by rule it's a goal.

I agree that, when the offside player clearly is in the play enough to force the defender's action, it should be offside, but that's not how the rule is currently written.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
LOL just noticed the stands are all yellow so I'm confused who's a Aussie and who's for Brazil.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Rule is that the attacker has to be playing or actively trying to play the ball (or blocking the goalkeeper's vision), otherwise no offside. I think given that she doesn't jump and challenge for the ball, by rule it's a goal.

I agree that, when the offside player clearly is in the play enough to force the defender's action, it should be offside, but that's not how the rule is currently written.
I'd count that actively playing the ball.
And she did jump/challenge for the ball. It's just the other defender outjumped her.

I'm not sure Brazil's PK was a pen, so it evens out.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I really like VAR warts and all. Looking forward to being on the wrong side of all the decisions in the PL next season. D:

Kerr wasn't near the player scoring OG
I'm not going to complain, but with the attacking player that close to the flight of the ball she must be affecting play. I wonder if the fact that the defender that got the touch was facing away from the player (and thus arguably not being interfered with) might have made her decide that way.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
hmm, you don't always have to be right on the ball to affect the play on offside though.

I.E. When a shot is taken, and an offside player is within line of sight, or obstructing the GK, they usually call it.

even if the offside player is on one side, and the ball goes to the opposite side of the goal.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Monica obviously jumped because of Kerr. Years ago it would be offside. But they changed how the rule is interpreted.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
hmm, you don't always have to be right on the ball to affect the play on offside though.

I.E. When a shot is taken, and an offside player is within line of sight, or obstructing the GK, they usually call it.

even if the offside player is on one side, and the ball goes to the opposite side of the goal.
Obstructing the goalkeeper is a specific exception to the general rule. Like I said, I don't like the current ruleset, but it's a pretty unambiguous call given the current regime imo.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
should be a gif of that marta scream + deathstare. oof

Obstructing the goalkeeper is a specific exception to the general rule. Like I said, I don't like the current ruleset, but it's a pretty unambiguous call given the current regime imo.
either way both teams can feel hard done by a major decision if they so choose.

so Brazil losing is on them, and NOT because of any call

edit:
forgot the "not" lol. changes the whole sentence

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Fun day:

ukSd8as.png

Local time: 15:00, 18:00, 21:00

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's a good hit, but that's shocking keeping.

It's straight at her, over her head, from outside the box. Doesn't even lift her hands.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed on the replay shown from behind the scorer that in the first goal, the scot defender masked the shot perfectly. The goalie just saw the shot too late.