• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
so...teams currently in third

China 4 pts, 3 games played, 0 GD
Nigeria 3 pts, 3 games played, -1 GD
Austrailia 3 pts, 2 games played, 0 GD
Argentina 1 pt, 2 games played, -1 GD
Cameroon, 0 pt, 2 games plated, -3 GD
Chile, 0 pt, 2 games played, -5 GD

New Zeland is in 4th with 0 pt, 2 games played, -3 GD. Same group as Cameroon.

4 teams advance.

We can pencil in China, Australia imo.

New Zealand vs Cameroon. One team has to win by 2 goals to overtake Nigeria.
Chile plays Thailand (who's essentially out)
Chile has to beat Thailand by 4 goals to overtake Nigeria
(The next tiebreaker is goals scored right?)

hm
Nigeria should advance looking at it.

not for sure tho

Nigeria is -2 GD, right? 0-3, 2-0, and 0-1.

If there's a winner in New Zealand / Cameroon, that team has at worst -2 GD and has a decent shot of passing Nigeria.

edit - I think Nigeria's best hope is a draw in either SCO/ARG or NZ/CAM.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The goal keeper rules for staying on the line have been modified, FIFA is going to be able to enforce properly now, that they have VAR review. Also this rule change came in effectively on June 1.

It's going to be harder for goal keepers than ever..but it's a new rule for better or for worse:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48382254

Yeah. It's hard to argue "well the ref should've looked away for that one". It's the rule, and rules can't not be binary. I think the debate has to be about a) the rules, and b) when and how often VAR is used. Can't really blame the ref there.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's hard to argue "well the ref should've looked away for that one". It's the rule, and rules can't not be binary. I think the debate has to be about a) the rules, and b) when and how often VAR is used. Can't really blame the ref there.

Oh please dont give me that rules crap. Had the lady scored the fucking penalty, she wouldnt have retaken the penalty. Renard missed it outright, had nothing to do with the keeper.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017

Like jrush said, she missed the penalty, the penalty wasn't even saved. There was no reason to retake it at all, but they did. The other fact of the French player in the box encroaching was not even looked at. If you are going to be so strict, be strict with everything. You penalized the Nigerian goalkeeper but not the French players?

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching a show about previous World Cups once and there was a bit on the Cameroon - England quarterfinal in 1990. Cameroon was up 2-1 but England was awarded 2 penalty kicks late and won 3-2. The England players they interviewed were pretty much like "whew, thanks refs"

There were three penalties in that game (one for Cameroon) and all three decisions were correct.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Players encroaching comes into play in case of rebound. Several refs have confirmed that everything was ruled correctly per the rules of June 1. We can disagree with those rules, of course.

Like jrush said, she missed the penalty, the penalty wasn't even saved. There was no reason to retake it at all, but they did. The other fact of the French player in the box encroaching was not even looked at. If you are going to be so strict, be strict with everything. You penalized the Nigerian goalkeeper but not the French players?

It's hard to separate the two. She could argue she missed because the gk moved.

Last edited:

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil and Barcelona striker Andressa Alves out of the World Cup due to a training injury. Third player Brazil lost this World Cup, without counting Formiga, who is suspended for today's match against Italy (2nd yellow card).

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow is ENG-JPN but both are already in I assume so are they just gonna play for nothing?

First place in the group is still up for grabs and England definitely wants to win to make up, in some small way, for the heart wrenching, brutal own goal that knocked them out in a semifinal against Japan in 2015.