• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Embarrassing scoreline. Pretty silly to take the women's world cup from 16 to 24 teams if it just means you have professional teams totally destroying amateurs.

There is literally just one team in the cup that could get beat like this.

All teams have now played. And the matches have mostly all been tightly contested.

No argument

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Almost turned it off at 7-0 but my friend said let it rock. Once I saw the record was 11, I was cheering them on to demolish that total.

Just passing the ball around for 20 minutes, against a team that has no hope of stealing it from you, is way more disrespectful than continuing to attack. At least with the latter scenario they have tape they can watch, study, and improve upon.

Play to the full potential of your quality for all 90+ minutes.

No problem with USA running up the score but do they really need to celebrate each goal like this. Talk about rubbing it in.
Fuck the score. If I net a goal on the WC stage, I'm breakdancing after every single one of them bitches.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
The scoreline reflects the lack of support for the women's game around the world. The Thai team are pretty much part-time football players. It's sad to see really.

This is not scoreline that can make a fan of women's football happy.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
People realize when they expand the WC we'll see double digit score lines in group stage games too right

Anyone who watches NWSL or the European leagues games finish with normal score lines all the time. Shut the fuck up with the "shrink the goals cause women suck" garbage

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Scorelines like this are needed to whip those countries into shape. For example when US beat Nigeria in basketball by record points, everyone waked up and they started investing a bit in the basketball team. Trust me, the Thai team will get much better and a score like this might be the catalyst.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
All of team USA is playing league football, some of the Thai women are working regular jobs, basically it was pros vs amateurs and it showed, women game has very little backing, I can guarantee you the Thai's men team has 10x more money invested, while the women have to fight for the scraps, even the American women's team is under paid, while the men's team can't beat Trinidad to make the worldcup..

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Normally, North Korea would be there instead of Thailand and they would be much stronger, but they didn't qualify because they ended up in a much tougher group, being unranked/banned for a few years after a doping suspension.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Normally, North Korea would be there instead of Thailand and they would be much stronger, but they didn't qualify because they ended up in a much tougher group, being unranked/banned for a few years after a doping suspension.

Yea, Thailands spot is usually North Korea, and there womens team is very strong.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People realize when they expand the WC we'll see double digit score lines in group stage games too right

Anyone who watches NWSL or the European leagues games finish with normal score lines all the time. Shut the fuck up with the "shrink the goals cause women suck" garbage

didnt female players ask for this? thats what i read somewhere.

edit: not because they "suck" but because they are smaller than men on average.

Oct 27, 2017
Big score but there's no glory in smashing a team of amateurs into the ground. And the fact that a team of amateurs is playing in a world cup just highlights the state of Women's football really. I don't think there are any winners here.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
USA facing Chile next game. Netherlands beat Chile in a friendly 7 - 0 a couple of months ago.

Chile sweatin'.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
And that's because the level of competition in the men's game is vastly, orders of magnitude, better than in the women's game. It's a really pointless statistic.

Yeah because the likes of Guatemala, Venezuela, and Jamaica are such powerhouses 🙄 The US men's team are losing and/or drawing to teams that they at least on paper should be dominating. They're shit, plain and simple, and they get paid more just to show up and get embarrassed. I personally can't wait for that national embarrassment known as the Canadian Men's team to be eviscerated in 2026 on an International stage, and then somehow get paid more than the Canadian women's team just because the US secured them a spot as a co-host.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Expanding the Mens Euros to 24 teams was a bad idea and those extra nations have much more investment than a country like Thailand's women's team does.

Oct 27, 2017
Big score but there's no glory in smashing a team of amateurs into the ground. And the fact that a team of amateurs is playing in a world cup just highlights the state of Women's football really. I don't think there are any winners here.
The US women were winners. They're playing under the rules/guidelines set before all the teams and they demolished the team put before them.

Oct 27, 2017
The US women were winners. They're playing under the rules/guidelines set before all the teams and they demolished the team put before them.

They demolished the team of part time amateurs put before them. The level of competition was horrendously mismatched. It happens in the men's game too on occasion, but not to that level of magnitude. My point being if your world stage event has to field teams of part time amateurs it's not a good look.

Oct 27, 2017
They demolished the team of part time amateurs put before them. The level of competition was horrendously mismatched. It happens in the men's game too on occasion, but not to that level of magnitude. My point being if your world stage event has to field teams of part time amateurs it's not a good look.
Sure, that's on the organizers. It's a W for the US regardless. I don't know how the other women feel, but I'm guessing their proud they even made it to the WC, so taking that away from them would be an even bigger L than this loss. In the NCAA lots of teams are fodder for the higher seeds and get blown out and they wouldn't have it any other way.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Due to title ix Women are also set up to succeed in soccer more than the men in the US. There are more division 1 women's soccer programs than men's, for example which gives women more opportunities to play at the next level than men in the US

Jul 18, 2018
Word Cups are not a charity. Only the best should be in the WCs. That's why I'm so mad the Men's WC is going to expand beyond 32 teams.
2022 -> 32 Teams
2026 -> 48 Teams

However you know if they gave each league/soccer area an equal chance of representation, we would have more quality teams playing. Concacaf already doesn't get many spots (4) and so many quality national teams come from that region. IDK why they can't just make a change to qualification to just pick out quality teams instead of regional representation

How they want to set it up:
16 Europe (up from 13)
9 Africa (up from 5)
8 Asia (up from 4 or 5)
6 Concacaf (up from 3 or 4)
6 South America (up from 4 or 5)
1 Oceania (from 0 or 1)

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
FIFA won't reduce the format at this point. 2015 was the first 24 format and Germany beat Ivory Coast 10-0 there. Results like this will continue until there is investment equality in more nations.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
You love to see lots of goals. You don't love to see one side get hammered beyond belief. I didn't watch it though but I feel for Thailand. Getting beat is one thing. Getting royally humped is quite the other.

Oct 27, 2017
Shameful display from the USWNT today. No need for exorbitant celebrations when the score is as lopsided as it was.

You can celebrate without being obnoxious. Especially when the score is 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 nil in the 70' onwards.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Alex Morgan has to be guaranteed the Golden Boot now after that. The real test will be Sweden but they didn't look great against Chile.

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Shameful display from the USWNT today. No need for exorbitant celebrations when the score is as lopsided as it was.

You can celebrate without being obnoxious. Especially when the score is 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 nil in the 70' onwards.

It was cringy as fuck. Zero sportsmanship. You are winning 13-0 show some class. A bit embarrassing really. I'll never understand when players have the need to break unwritten rules. It just makes them look like fools.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Those were idiotic tweets by Timothy Burke. Leaving aside the nonsense nature of the statistic, like, why even use the US women's team's success as a cudgel to hit the men's team with? Why can't it just be a good win for America?