• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah please everyone tell me just how much you wouldn't celebrate a goal you scored in the fucking world cup

Morgan stopped after her hat trick. Others who might never score another one again didn't. Who gives a shit.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I don't have any issue with scoring 13 goals, fuck I'd score 50 if I could. Aren't ties broken by point differentials? The next team could drop 20 on tha

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any issue with scoring 13 goals, fuck I'd score 50 if I could. Aren't ties broken by point differentials? The next team could drop 20 on tha
Sweden won their game and will likely beat Thailand also by a lot of goals

If Sweden and USA draw group winner will be decided by Goal difference. If they had pulled off the gas after say 6 or 7 like the internet expert sports bros said they should Sweden potentially could have beaten that if they knew they had to in order to win the group.

So yeah it actually was 100% tactically necessary to score as many goals as possible in this group game. The whining about it is actually infuriating me today

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden won their game and will likely beat Thailand also by a lot of goals

If Sweden and USA draw group winner will be decided by Goal difference. If they had pulled off the gas after say 6 or 7 like the internet expert sports bros said they should Sweden potentially could have beaten that if they knew they had to in order to win the group.

So yeah it actually was 100% tactically necessary to score as many goals as possible in this group game. The whining about it is actually infuriating me today

Not a lot of people on the internet has a problem with the score, I haven't seen much anyways. HOWEVER, people have a problem with the celebrations that lasted till the 13th freaking goal, there is no defence of that. When Germany won against Brazil 7-1 there celebration toned down considerably after the 5th goal, and that was a 'competitive' (considering Brazil put up a fight) SEMI-FINAL. The US had no fucking class, it was disgraceful. At some point during that game they should've just put their head down and get the job done instead of celebrating and rubbing it in the face of a team that they had already buried.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Scoring the goals is perfectly fine but why the excessive celebrations
Because even though the game was out of reach, it's still a huge individual achievement to score a goal in the world cup. As someone else had mentioned, Alex Morgan didn't celebrate her 4th or 5th goal. Players that scored their first individual goal late in the game celebrated and deservedly so. It's a big deal for them.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because even though the game was out of reach, it's still a huge individual achievement to score a goal in the world cup. As someone else had mentioned, Alex Morgan didn't celebrate her 4th or 5th goal. Players that scored their first individual goal late in the game celebrated and deservedly so. It's a big deal for them.
It's also a great achievement for their opponents to be there. No need to rub it in their face. Sportsmanship like that is taught at such a young age. Scoring a goal and not celebrating is still an achievement on its own

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's also a great achievement for their opponents to be there. No need to rub it in their face. Sportsmanship like that is taught at such a young age. Scoring a goal and not celebrating is still an achievement on its own
Celebrating a goal isn't to rub it in the opponents face. It's not a taunt either. It's just a team celebration.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah don't patronize their opponents. They don't want anyone to go lightly on the

Oct 27, 2017
Blah blah blah pretending the playing field has been remotely even or close. Or that any level of difference is not from decades of training/programs/money/options.

What? I never said anything about that. In fact the above is all tacitly implied by my statement. The point was it's a completely meaningless statistic based on a completely idiotic comparison. EDIT, unless you mean the tweet not my comment, in which case sorry, it's early!

As for the goal celebrations - gotta agree with a number of people on here in that it showed a lack of class to be going wild on the 8th, 9th, 10th etc goals. Certainly, scoring a goal in a world cup is a big achievement - but hardly when your opponent is desperately, obviously bad, obviously outclassed from the kick off. Where's the achievement, really?

Last edited:

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
That's a crazy score line but means nothing when you watch the match and see the real difference in skill levels. And those celebrations were just excessive.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
i mean, i don't have a strong stance personally, but i don't think smashing a team of amateurs will compel many people to the case that the women's team should be paid more (relatively speaking)

It shouldn't really be all that relevant. What is relevant is that the women get comparable ratings and crowds to the men and yet receive a fraction of the pay. The fact that they also happen to be far more successful and potentially acting as a role model to a bigger group of people makes them even more ideal for government funding.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with celebrating any goal-in a WC in particular-so long as you're not doing some racist crap like Anelka several years ago or deliberately rubbing it in which didn't happen here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
What's Thailand's world rank?
What an embarrassment to the sport.

This is the equivalent of Belgium beating Austria 13-0 in the Men's game, except that would never happen because Men's sides are actually decent well towards the 100 mark.

Congrats to the USA I suppose, you beat what's put in front of you, but yeesh. This speaks mostly to the incredibly poor quality of Women's international football below the top ~10 sides.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
There's nothing wrong with celebrating any goal-in a WC in particular-so long as you're not doing some racist crap like Anelka several years ago or deliberately rubbing it in which didn't happen here.

There is nothing wrong if you don't care about sportsmanship. But it's disrespectful what they did. That's just how it is. Everybody who says otherwise has no clue about football and has never played it. It's not a debate that it's disrespectul, it's a fact. Everybody is free to do whatever the fuck they want, but don't act surprised when you get called out. It's like managers not shaking hands after a match. There is no rule that says that you have to shake hands, but it's seen as disrespectful if you don't do it.

That's how unwritten rules are. You are free to break them, but it's seen as disrespectful when you do.

You can't just break them and say that you didn't do it to be disrespectful, when the act of breaking them is the disrespectful part.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
People get mad about the dumbest things, I swear. A goal is a goal, wether it's the first one or 100th, let them celebrate it. It's not a rub in your opponents faces at all. This is a competition on the highest level and the adrenalin is pumping. What if maybe you're a young sub doing your first world cup and score goal number 20. Are you telling me she/he is not allowed to celebrate the goal because of the risk offending the losing team? Ridiculous.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Yeah no. There are fifa regulations against excessive celebrations for a reason.
FIFA's rules have more to do with political messages and provocative/derogatory celebrations. The only real rules are not jumping into the crowd and not taking off their shirt. A player can celebrate their joy as much as they want outside of that, this isn't the NFL.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
FIFA's rules have more to do with political messages and provocative/derogatory celebrations. The only real rules are not jumping into the crowd and not taking off their shirt. A player can celebrate their joy as much as they want outside of that, this isn't the NFL.

In the nineties there were these elaborate choreographies that players did after scoring. That was the beginning of the crackdown. The celebration of Brazil against the Netherlands in the US WC would definitely not be accepted now. Sucking your thumb is getting pretty close to that. Personally I think it's pretty fucking disrespectful.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
What an embarrassment to the sport.

This is the equivalent of Belgium beating Austria 13-0 in the Men's game, except that would never happen because Men's sides are actually decent well towards the 100 mark.

Congrats to the USA I suppose, you beat what's put in front of you, but yeesh. This speaks mostly to the incredibly poor quality of Women's international football below the top ~10 sides.

That's rubbish. The issue is with the FIFA ranking and the regional differences. Thailand is a much poorer side than several ranked below them, some of them playing in this tournament. They lucked into the tournament while the better side North Korea lucked out, due to groups. The regional qualifying processes are of course very different.

Of course there are a lot more professionalised nations on the men's side, that's a given. But this tournament has been evenly matched, with this one exeption, and there are many great teams (Denmark is one of the top teams in the world) that couldn't qualify. THere are more than 24 competititive teams.

But we agree that it's shameful how certain national federations have treated their women's national side.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
In the nineties there were these elaborate choreographies that players did after scoring. That was the beginning of the crackdown. The celebration of Brazil against the Netherlands in the US WC would definitely not be accepted now. Sucking your thumb is getting pretty close to that. Personally I think it's pretty fucking disrespectful.
There are plenty of celebrations like that still though ? And they don't get punished at all because no sane person finds them disrespectful or provocative.
ImmenseSlimFrogmouth.gif

giphy.gif

ghana-celebrates-gyan-goal.gif

tumblr_onkpbxGXqX1w5lppvo1_500.gif

The celebrations who do get punished are like I said, political messages or things like racist gestures mostly. Even taking your shirt off is forbidden now not because it's "excessive" but because it was used to reveal shirts with messages on and because of sponsorship issues.

Oct 29, 2017
That's a bad look and it makes the USA look like awful winners. Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner.

But also, I'm not sure that scoring and then walking back to the halfway line is any way better, making it look like it's nothing to you.

There's no way to look good in a situation like this. If USA decided to tone down the play and not bother than that's patronising as fuck but also smashing some amateurs is never going to make you look good.

So i don't really care, I guess?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
There are plenty of celebrations like that still though ? And they don't get punished at all because no sane person finds them disrespectful or provocative.
ImmenseSlimFrogmouth.gif

giphy.gif

ghana-celebrates-gyan-goal.gif

tumblr_onkpbxGXqX1w5lppvo1_500.gif

The celebrations who do get punished are like I said, political messages or things like racist gestures mostly. Even taking your shirt off is forbidden now not because it's "excessive" but because it was used to reveal shirts with messages on and because of sponsorship issues.

First and Second picture would definitely result in a warning now. If they take too long someone would be carded for stalling. Ghana is quick and obviously unrehearsed, like the last example. None of the examples are directed at the other team. And like others said, after the 7th goal, its just unsportly and disrespectfull.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Unwritten rules are all bullshit and it is more disrespectful to patronize your opponents.

Yes to personality, fun and showmanship

No to 'no fun allowed' culture. It's sport, it's entertainment

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The only criticism here should be for FIFA, the Thai FA, and the Thai coaches and players for allowing such a lop-sided match to happen.

FIFA shouldn't be allowing such low quality teams in to the World Cup.
The Thai FA should be investing more in Women's football.

The Thai coaches and players should work harder. However bad you are, and however good your opponent is, letting in more than one goal every 10 minutes should be unthinkable.

The defending and keeping on display wasn't just bad, it was lazy. They gave up. No heart, no spirit, no determination to stand up and say "No, not without a fight".

Thailand finished with 1 Yellow Card and 5 Fouls. They didn't even give away a penalty. That's pathetic.

The USA beat what was there to be beat. That's what you're supposed to do.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
What's all this nonsense about toning down celebrations?

I've been part of a beat-down, something like 1-9. Take my word for it, it's not like it feels any better when they act bored. If anything ,that's a well-known taunt. Like oh, we've been there, scoring on you ain't nothing anymore. How's that supposed to be reassuring?

Even down 1-8, I'm still playing my hardest and learning from my mistakes. The only thing I can do is make them work for the next one. If they're excited then maybe the next one wasn't so easy.

P.S. Plus as an opponent the only way to teach is to destroy. Whether they have a lot to learn or Thailand doesn't respect its female athletes, whatever they're doing wrong, they stop learning the lesson as soon as the dogs are called off. Playing hard to the whistle IS sportsmanship.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

Local time: 15:00, 18:00, 21:00

Surprised at the probability for the first match. Think Nigeria could very well beat Korea. Two of the weaker teams of the tournament meeting, anyway.

The two next matches are super interesting. Germany is weakend by the loss of Marozsán, who won't play any more group matches. Both teams won their first.

France are favorites against Norway, but Norway looks good too. They've adjusted their formation and Graham Hansen is now on top, to get more touches on the ball against a different kind of defense than Nigeria.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017

Local time: 15:00, 18:00, 21:00

Surprised at the probability for the first match. Think Nigeria could very well beat Korea. Two of the weaker teams of the tournament meeting, anyway.

The two next matches are super interesting. Germany is weakend by the loss of Marozsán, who won't play any more group matches. Both teams won their first.

France are favorites against Norway, but Norway looks good too. They've adjusted their formation and Graham Hansen is now on top, to get more touches on the ball against a different kind of defense than Nigeria.

That's the shit we Africans face, even when we are clearly better than the opposition we are always looked down on by some unknown metric. The score was very flattering to Norway, the game did not deserve the score. They both had the same amount of shots, Nigeria was just not clinical enough in the final third and that cost them. Anyways I expect a win from Nigeria today, the France game will be something. Depending on how today goes I will gain insane satisfaction if we knock France out, payback for 2014 world cup.

EDIT ON GOAL CELEBRATION: People, I know this is the first time some of you might be watching soccer so you are clearly not in the know on how certain things work, so if in your view it is ok for the USWNT to celebrate the 7th through the 13th goal, fine. However, no one in the soccer community supports it for a reason. There is a reason basketball players run down the clock when the game is ending instead of running up the score, it is frowned upon universally by basketball fans. Even if you all don't know, stop trying to justify it, IT IS FROWNED UPON, simple. They can do it, but they will be criticized for it and rightfully so.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Unwritten rules are all bullshit and it is more disrespectful to patronize your opponents.

Yes to personality, fun and showmanship

No to 'no fun allowed' culture. It's sport, it's entertainment
It's not about rules or no fun allowed though, is it? It's about good sportsmanship, surely that concept exists in America?

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only criticism here should be for FIFA, the Thai FA, and the Thai coaches and players for allowing such a lop-sided match to happen.
FIFA shouldn't be allowing such low quality teams in to the World Cup.
Sure the result is embarassing for women's soccer, but it's a bit harsh against the Thai team. They deserved to be here, but the step was too high. Even a resourceful France has a hard time to follow the developement of US women's soccer.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Look... some of those goals, scored by people that were at their first World Cup, and Lloyd, probably her last.
"Oh, we're winning big already, so I can't celebrate my first goal at a World Cup.. blah blah.."

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Not a lot of people on the internet has a problem with the score, I haven't seen much anyways. HOWEVER, people have a problem with the celebrations that lasted till the 13th freaking goal, there is no defence of that. When Germany won against Brazil 7-1 there celebration toned down considerably after the 5th goal, and that was a 'competitive' (considering Brazil put up a fight) SEMI-FINAL. The US had no fucking class, it was disgraceful. At some point during that game they should've just put their head down and get the job done instead of celebrating and rubbing it in the face of a team that they had already buried.
Someone like Pugh had her first ever WC goal, that's years of hard work and dedication being celebrated. She would have been excited regardless.

You only get to play this game for so long at this type of level, I say let them play and enjoy the moments. Nothing was being directed at Thailand, they celebrated in joy with themselves.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Excessive celebration done right.

I forget, were people upset with Germany's 7-1 victory over Brazil when they were hosting?

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with scoring as many goals as you can in tournament matches, but the celebrations for the later goals were a joke. Absolutely classless. AFAIK this is Megan Rapinoe, here scoring her 45th goal for the US team.

Last edited:

Wowbiggulps

Dec 4, 2018
They're having fun on the game's biggest stage and, as mentioned, goal diff is a tiebreaker. I don't understand the criticism. They're there to compete, win, advance, and celebrate accomplishments along the way.

Compare this to the numerous Raptor fans in the NBA finals cheering an injury to a key player. Unlike that scenario, I really don't get the sense there is any disrespect towards the opponent or that anything is being done at the opponent's expense.