• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any of these no-talent twitter warriors throwing shade at the best women soccer players on the planet can get fucked.

You qualified for the World Cup? Get ready to play the best for 90 minutes.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Great win for the Super Eagles.

Though I think Korea perhaps looked the better team technically, you don't get any points for playing the prettier football.

Local time: 15:00, 18:00, 21:00

Surprised at the probability for the first match. Think Nigeria could very well beat Korea. Two of the weaker teams of the tournament meeting, anyway.

538 know shit about Men's football, so no surprised they can't predict the Women's either.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Do you usually watch football or mainly just this one?

I watch football, but I was hardcore into PL and club football in my youth, traveled to England and so on, and I'm definitely not anymore, got enough of it after a while (something to do with everyone around you talking about it), so I particularly enjoy football without the standard fan culture.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
I think I'm more annoyed by journalists clutching their pearls about "respect for the game" when the reality is none of them respect the sport enough to talk about it, than I am by whatever celebrations the americans did.

Good win for Nigeria, don't think that'll be enough to go through unless they pull off a big surprise in the last game but still an important 3 points.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with scoring as many goals as you can in tournament matches, but the celebrations for the later goals were a joke. Absolutely classless. AFAIK this is Megan Rapinoe, here scoring her 45th goal for the US team.

She's a 33 year old woman coming off of an ACL injury and knee surgery to score a goal at the World Cup. This handwringing is dumb.

Oct 29, 2017
I watch football, but I was hardcore into PL and club football in my youth, traveled to England and so on, and I'm definitely not anymore, got enough of it after a while (something to do with everyone around you talking about it), so I particularly enjoy football without the standard fan culture.
Fair enough, who did you support in the PL and where are you from if you had to travel to England? Will feel silly for asking if it's Peru.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
At her 3rd world cup to make it 9-0 :D it's just a bit embarrassing
It's funny the lengths everyone is going to justify it, even after I've said and it is known that such actions are frowned upon. The mental gymnastics to justify something not looked well upon because it's your team is rather funny. The fans were tired of celebrating and the team was still rolling around celebrating, once you go past a certain amount of goals you stop celebrating. It's not only about showing respect for your opponent actually still playing but it is also about being humble and recognizing that you are clearly better thus no need to rub it in.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny the lengths everyone is going to justify it, even after I've said and it is known that such actions are frowned upon. The mental gymnastics to justify something not looked well upon because it's your team is rather funny. The fans were tired of celebrating and the team was still rolling around celebrating, once you go past a certain amount of goals you stop celebrating. It's not only about showing respect for your opponent actually still playing but it is also about being humble and recognizing that you are clearly better thus no need to rub it in.
By "rolling around celebrating" you mean "hugging their teammates"?

This pearl clutching is just ridiculous, especially considering how Thailand demolished their Asian rivals.

Jul 19, 2018

This pearl clutching is just ridiculous, especially considering how Thailand demolished their Asian rivals.

You're obviously fond of calling things pearl clutching, and more power to you. Doesn't change the fact that it's just classless :D for comparison, this is from the frigging world cup semi final, when Germany thumped Brazil in Brazil. Have a look at the German player's celebrations of their 6th and 7th. It's just basic respect.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can't believe I had to look this up.

Like many people have said before, its not about how many goals were scored. It's about how absurd their celebrations were in a high scoring game like that.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I had to look this up.

Like many people have said before, its not about how many goals were scored. It's about how absurd their celebrations were in a high scoring game like that.

I'm seeing the same level of celebration here, which is team mates congratulating the scorer with hugs. The camera just isn't super zoomed in on the players in between cutting to a distraught Malaysian child.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
It was cringy as fuck. Zero sportsmanship. You are winning 13-0 show some class. A bit embarrassing really. I'll never understand when players have the need to break unwritten rules. It just makes them look like fools.

This reminds me of the USA men sprinters theatrics at the Olympics with the gaudy celebration while wearing the flag and just about taunting the other runners from other countries. It was done in poor taste. Same here. It's fine to enjoy the win but some level of class/discipline should be there with the players and definitely the coach.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
if Spain had some of the shot diversity that USA showed yesterday they'd be up 4-1 right now. they only try same side shots on goal if they try and go opposite it's way wide

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Spain should nab Ada Hegerberg. Someone who cynically puts the ball in the goal.

Jul 19, 2018
Germany knows how to grind out results, that's what it is.

This isn't true at all. FIFA eligibility rules aren't that easy to bypass unlike other sports.

Depends how you define 'mercenaries' I suppose. Qatar are naturalising a bunch of Brazilian players in time for the world cup, I believe China are doing something similar.