• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Depends how you define 'mercenaries' I suppose. Qatar are naturalising a bunch of Brazilian players in time for the world cup, I believe China are doing something similar.
Like who ? There's no brazilian-born player in the squad that won them the Asian Cup, and the vast majority of their players is born in Qatar.
Look at their handball team if you wanna see what a team of mercenaries looks like (11 foreigners out of a 14 player squad for the last world cup or olympics).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Germany knows how to grind out results, that's what it is.

This isn't true at all. FIFA eligibility rules aren't that easy to bypass unlike other sports.
Saudi Arabia does not give citizenship to non Saudis born in that country as a matter of law. Saudi nationality may be given if the father is Saudi himself. I was under the mistaken belief that the player had to have either ancestral ties through parents or grandparent or current citizenship with the country they want to play for. Apparently that doesn't seem to be the case as living in place for a certain number of years can grant you eligibility. I was mistaken.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Like who ? There's no brazilian-born player in the squad that won them the Asian Cup, and the vast majority of their players is born in Qatar.
Look at their handball team if you wanna see what a team of mercenaries looks like (11 foreigners out of a 14 player squad for the last world cup or olympics).

They were doing it and not just them either.

"FIFA President Sepp Blattertold the BBC: "If we don't stop this farce, if we don't take care about the invaders from Brazil towards Europe, Asia and Africa then, in the 2014 or the 2018 World Cup, out of the 32 teams you will have 16 full of Brazilian players."

That's when they brought in the "clear connection" rules that at first had a minimum two years of residency applied.

But these rules still allow the likes of Saudi Arabia (countries that refuse to grant citizenship to people who were born and raised there) the ability to field national teams by the residency method. How can that be your national team when you don't consider some of the players nationals or citizens?

Jul 19, 2018

Seems I'm a couple of years out of date :) eg

Since taking the Qatar job in September 2016, the Uruguayan has relied on foreign talents such as Brazilian-born Rodrigo Tabata and Uruguayan-born Sebastian Soria. It's likely Soria and Tabata will only feature until the 2018 World Cup, by which time the former will be 35 years old and the latter 37. Despite this, the future of the national team, even in the medium-term, looks like consisting of a number of foreign-born players. In their most recent qualifier, a goalless draw with China, Qatar fielded eight foreign-born players in the starting 11.

Happy to admit it's changed since, which is great

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Ah yeah, they used to try it but FIFA then asked for a clear connection to the country to be eligible, and I haven't heard of any abuse since then. Thankfully.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
No Cascarino from start?!?

I mean I'm happy for my Norwegian gals, but loved to see her play in the first match

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be kinda funny if Thailand let Sweden drop 14 on them as kind of a "Here's your GD GD US."

Let? Thailand can do their best and it won't change anything. It's more on Sweden in having to realise that just kicking the ball at the net is all they have to do against that team. I bet that the half time score between the two will be quite a bit more than the USA's 3-0 lead at half time yesterday.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Bummed about Cascarino, which I rate way more than Gauvin or even Diani. I thought she played well against Korea too.
I'm trying not to get worked up about some of Diacre's choices anymore but I really don't understand why she does these things sometimes.

Jul 18, 2018
What group do the top two in the Netherland's group play in the round of 16?

womens-world-cup-bracket.jpg

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
You know everybody ripping on the USA for not letting go of the gas delights in mercy ruling teams in PvP.

Oct 25, 2017
Let? Thailand can do their best and it won't change anything. It's more on Sweden in having to realise that just kicking the ball at the net is all they have to do against that team. I bet that the half time score between the two will be quite a bit more than the USA's 3-0 lead at half time yesterday.
Thailand did take Australia to penalties in the Asian Cup semi-finals, and even that was only because they gifted Australia an own goal and a stoppage time equalizer. I'm not saying they're going to beat Sweden, but they could park the bus to limit the bleeding.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
France should try shooting at goal from the right hand instead of pulling it back for the pass.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Good game this, two very tough if slightly limited teams.

France look the better side, obviously, but Norway are doing well

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Decent first half. Good start for us, then we let France control too much and dump balls in our box, but we look fairly dangerous when we strike back. Some good periods of play.

Both teams mostly defend well. Lyon defenders for France and Chelsea pair for Norway.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
What are the reasons for Hegerberg to not play for Norway? The federation still didn't match their salaries with the men?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Oh my god. That is a terrible, terrible own goal.

So casual, so cool. Not a hack, or a slice, or an errant back-pass under pressure.

Just calmly passed the ball into her own net. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
We need to get rid of Thorisdottir, she's the one fucking up at the back