• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coming Home?

• No

Votes: 191 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 194 50.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tite does a great job with Brazil (their best in the past world cups) but doesn't seem flexible/reactionary enough. Like when Brazil struggled (after Switzerland scored or in the game against Costa Rica until they scored) he did nothing to change the situation and just kept going with his game plan. Which it can work (against CR) or it can fail (against Switzerland) and that wouldn't be just left to the chance by a better manager.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how the team views you,

For what it's worth, Southgate was very cautious when he was asked about Sweden as the next opponents:

Southgate said:
But now I'm thinking about Sweden. They are another team we have a poor record against. We have underestimated them for years.

Seems appropriately sensible.

but England fans have been obsessed with the idea of this leg to the finals being the easy one. I get a lot of satisfaction in World Cups and Euros seeing all the football fans in this country expecting England to dominate, only to perform abysmally and lose to a team that everyone underestimated =D

I'm hearing a lot of "Remember Iceland" this time, so hopefully it'll stick

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I think Tite does a great job with Brazil (their best in the past world cups) but doesn't seem flexible/reactionary enough. Like when Brazil struggled (after Switzerland scored or in the game against Costa Rica until they scored) he did nothing to change the situation and just kept going with his game plan. Which it can work (against CR) or it can fail (against Switzerland) and that wouldn't be just left to the chance by a better manager.

Brazil won the last match against Mexico convincingly thanks to Tite's reorganizing the team for the second half, imho.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Matthäus says that Brazi's couch Tite is this year's best coach:

I personally prefer Swedish couches.

ektorp-sofa-red__0397274_PE564503_S4.JPG

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's a confusion between "easy" and "easIER" here...there is nothing wrong with what was stated above, by comparison, England's bracket is in theory 'easier' than the other one. France, Uruguay, Brazil are traditional powerhouses and Belgium counts with very talented players.

Well, except in the context where England was *in* that bracket, that would mean Belgium weren't! Still, the point applies.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My twitter is full of 'its coming home' memes and I love it. Some of them are hilarious.

I love British humour.

At least if we crash out of the tournament the 'its coming home' will stay strong for the euros and the next world cup. If we end up winning this thing they won't make as much sense and won't be as funny.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
On the positive side for England, they're young and Im sure were a little tight from the pressure and history of penalty kicks. Im not saying they should be a favorite, but that was a big victory that should take some pressure off them, and maybe you see a looser better England team next time out

They certainly incite a reaction in this thread like nobody though. As a football outsider, I don't quite get it

PaddingtonDidntDoIt

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 8, 2018
Tbh, it's because of Brexit. Tabloids in the UK are gonna go wild with anti-EU remarks if England win this.

The best thing is for Belgium or Sweden to beat England.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to congratulate Brazil in their win tomorrow, since Fellaini is said to be playing, and not Dembélé. Belgium will fall behind due to a Fellaini give-away on midfield, before he gets frustrated and takes a red card.

Oct 27, 2017
My twitter is full of 'its coming home' memes and I love it. Some of them are hilarious.

I love British humour.

At least if we crash out of the tournament the 'its coming home' will stay strong for the euros and the next world cup. If we end up winning this thing they won't make as much sense and won't be as funny.

Brilliant isn't it.

You can make an argument against every single side left in the tournament winning the World Cup. This thread has been full of joyless freaks who seem absolutely determined to not let anybody enjoy it. Twitter has been a lovely refuge.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the positive side for England, they're young and Im sure were a little tight from the pressure and history of penalty kicks. Im not saying they should be a favorite, but that was a big victory that should take some pressure off them, and maybe you see a looser better England team next time out

They certainly incite a reaction in this thread like nobody though. As a football outsider, I don't quite get it

TBH I think a lot of it is due to cultural differences. Brits, and to a lessor extent, Europeans spend a lot of time saying things they don't really believe because other Brits, and to a lessor extent Europeans, understand that they are variously just outright joking, being sarcastic or simply 'taking the piss' which isn't intended to be taken seriously but often doesn't translate very well, especially over the internet. Add to that that there a lot of us on here and you can see how people get annoyed with all these English being rude to other nations all the time.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

What? Tite subbed Firmino and Douglas Costa against Costa Rica, playing with two strikers for the first time since he joined the National Team.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna disagree. Tite is very smart and uses a lot of tactical plans to counter situations, but when he needs to win, he go full. CR x Brasil showed that, when he read correctly that CR was going to stay full behind to get at least a draw and then went with Firmino instead of Paulinho to overload theirs defenses, which had directly impact on the first score. I think that impression of inflexible is probably coming from the first match where he subbed players of the same position. I don't think Brasil had a moment(outside of that against CR) where they had a necessity to make deeply changes on the team to win the match.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for you. The hate for England on a competitive level has been going on for years. The last world cup was just as bad.

England has also simply sucked. It is the country of world's biggest football competition and they didn't pass the quarter finals after 1990. In Brazil, they got eliminated in the group stage. Coming in last...

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe for you. The hate for England on a competitive level has been going on for years. The last world cup was just as bad.

Combination of other, lesser, continents not being able to handle our top bants and that Little Englander sentiment that always gets dredged up around Euros/World Cup time despite the team always fucking it up in embarrassing fashion. It's not that surprising that everybody hates the English

Dec 4, 2017
London
Tbh, it's because of Brexit. Tabloids in the UK are gonna go wild with anti-EU remarks if England win this.

The best thing is for Belgium or Sweden to beat England.

Tabloids go wild with their anti-EU stuff anyway. At least when it's focussed around a football team it's easier to point out how ludicrous it is compared to when it's the insidious daily drip of poison they've been running with for years.

PaddingtonDidntDoIt

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 8, 2018
Rooney was always a blight tbh.
But UK media is also at fault. They always worship one man in the team and put too much pressure on.

Oct 28, 2017
You can guarantee that if, by some massive fucking miracle, England do win the World Cup the people crying arrogance about England supposedly calling our fixtures easy will be the first to come out with "well look how easy your run of games was!" or "it would have been harder to lose it".

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England has also simply sucked. It is the country of world's biggest football competition and they didn't pass the quarter finals after 1990. In Brazil, they got eliminated in the group stage. Coming in last...

We know we were shit, so laugh - but don't hate us. It's hard being an English football fan :(

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna disagree. Tite is very smart and uses a lot of tactical plans to counter situations, but when he needs to win, he go full. CR x Brasil showed that, when he read correctly that CR was going to stay full behind to get at least a draw and then went with Firmino instead of Paulinho to overload theirs defenses, which had directly impact on the first score. I think that impression of inflexible is probably coming from the first match where he subbed players of the same position. I don't think Brasil had a moment(outside of that against CR) where they had a necessity to make deeply changes on the team to win the match.

Well, maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but the way I saw it Brazil still played the same against CR, it just paid off in the end because CR couldn't defend well for ever (which was expected, yet still the first goal happened in the 90th minute). I will give him the fact that he brought Costa in very early, but that didn't change the plan that much.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Combination of other, lesser, continents not being able to handle our top bants and that Little Englander sentiment that always gets dredged up around Euros/World Cup time despite the team always fucking it up in embarrassing fashion. It's not that surprising that everybody hates the English

Yep. I completely get it.

The worst of middle-England is a hotbed of entitled twattery which sadly gets simultaneously fed and amplified by our awful tabloid press so that becomes our abiding image for many outside the country, even if those people are (hopefully) the minority. It means the banter side of things gets continuously misread by those not attuned to the humour. Understandably IMO.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's made more pertinent because Southgate is infamous for missing a penalty in the 1996 Euros, so he knows exactly what he's going through.

For all the complaining/eulogising about the IT'S COMING HOME stuff, it's worth recalling that the first images of the second, 1998 version of the song, are of exactly that moment.

Also, it led to this:

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but the way I saw it Brazil still played the same against CR, it just paid off in the end because CR couldn't defend well for ever (which was expected, yet still the first goal happened in the 90th minute). I will give him the fact that he brought Costa in very early, but that didn't change the plan that much.
I mean, you can look at Brasil x Mexico game, where Osorio surprised Tite with Rafa Marquez(Tite was expecting Layun) and the high pressure man-marking play. Tite then advised Brasil to hold position to make Mexican players waste energy/stamina and then put the plan B in action, which made Brasil to switch from 4-1-4-1 to 4-4-2, freeing Neymar from defense responsibilities and letting William more free. It also made that Fagner and Filipe Luis wouldn't be again on a 1v1 against Mexico forward/Wingers and the change on Neymar made that he brought with him a Mexican player, which opened space in the left midfield to Filipe Luis pass.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can look at Brasil x Mexico game, where Osorio surprised Tite with Rafa Marquez(Tite was expecting Layun) and the high pressure man-marking play. Tite then advised Brasil to hold position to make Mexican players waste energy/stamina and then put the plan B in action, which made Brasil to switch from 4-1-4-1 to 4-4-2, freeing Neymar from defense responsibilities and letting William more free. It also made that Fagner and Filipe Luis wouldn't be again on a 1v1 against Mexico forward/Wingers and the change on Neymar made that he brought with him a Mexican player, which opened space in the left midfield to Filipe Luis pass.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't something adapted during the game, but rather discussed before the game. Mexico did the same in all the games they played, high pressing and wasting a lot of energy in the first half and maybe up to 65-70 minute and then almost dying in the last 20 minutes. When they manage to score in their high tempo period it worked for them, when they didn't they failed (Sweden and Brazil).

As I said before Brazil didn't really look like they are struggling against Mexico at any point during the game. Even if Mexico would have scored Brazil looked sure to score too.

And I'm not saying that Tite is a bad manager, quite the opposite. Just a bit inflexible when things don't go his way. Maybe it's just a wrong observation, I don't know.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can people please stop mixing up sport and politics. They have nothing to do with each other. The England football team aren't representing Brexit or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.