• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
news.yahoo.com

Fighting cock kills police chief in Philippine raid

A Philippine police officer was killed during a raid on an illegal cockfight after a rooster's blade sliced his femoral artery, an official said Tuesday.

A Philippine police officer was killed during a raid on an illegal cockfight after a rooster's blade sliced his femoral artery, an official said Tuesday.

Cockfighting is a popular blood sport in the archipelago where money is bet on the outcome of a fight -- often to the death -- between two colourful birds armed with bladed spurs.

It has been banned along with other sporting and cultural events during the coronavirus pandemic to prevent large crowds from gathering and spreading the contagion.

Monday's freak accident in the central province of Northern Samar happened when Lieutenant Christian Bolok picked up a fighting cock as he gathered evidence of the unlawful event.

Its blade struck his left thigh and he bled to death, provincial police chief Colonel Arnel Apud told AFP.

"It was an unfortunate accident and a piece of bad luck that I cannot explain," Apud said.

"I could not believe it when it was first reported to me. This is the first time in my 25 years as a policeman that I lost a man due to a fighting cock's spur."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fighting cocks have the sharpest blades on the planet taped to their legs

you gotta stay the fuck away from them

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
ed85d03d23effdf2672904a055eb0ad618f23a3fd6123dfaaf7ef4323003840c_1.gif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
We can only hope enough cocks go at enough arteries to force them to stop this fucking shit and make it illegal.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Forcing animals to fight is absolutely barbaric, let alone strapping fucking blades to them. I hope they throw the book at these bastards now that it's also caused a death. What a horrific way to go.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They put blades on them!? Jesus that is so wrong.
What a horrible way for this guy to go, and just for doing his job. Just horrible all around

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for the police officer; dying while stopping an organized animal cruelty show.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah cockfighting is huge in the Philippines.

Like I remember trips where I go to the malls and they showed actual fights on the television sets on the display kiosks!

They hold them in buildings within the same property where my grandfather is buried.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Well, googling "rooster blade" was definitely the depressing moment of the day. Wtf is wrong with these people?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Christ, what an awful story. This is a disgusting activity. There are few things that make my blood boil as much as animal cruelty.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
With the increased rate of police brutality in the Philippines since the lockdown, people pretty much celebrated this piece of news.

It's a horrible way to go that's for sure, but many of these cops have been breaking quarantine rules and protocols while they abuse their power of the smallest infractions (and the cockfight was illegal under quarantine rules btw). I remember a prominent journalist being sent to the precinct because he put his mask down for a bit to drink water. I can hardly feel any sympathy for them.

But yeah, horrible way to go. Sorry for the family's loss

Dec 31, 2017
Damn what a weird occurrence. First I didn't know that additionally tied blades to these birds. Secondly, he got hit in the femoral; though it's a major vessel did they not tourniquet it and take him to the hospital? Perhaps it was too late but I was expecting an abdominal or neck vessel laceration. Unfortunate for the officer.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I used to attend these kinds of events as a kid because my father raised fighting cocks as a hobby, of course back then I didn't think much of it and just went along with it. Those blades are sharp as fuck so I'm not surprised at one killing a person by cutting the artery. I never learned how to put it on the leg (partly because I wasn't as interested as my dad wanted me to be) and, honestly, I'm glad I never went beyond spectating, this shit is terrible, just like bullfighting.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Potentially, he would have been gone very quick if that artery was severed, it's one of the bigger ones. Clock fighting is a barbaric practice, much like dog fighting, fox hunting or badger baiting.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I got taken to a cock fight in Thailand and it was miserable. The craziest thing was the number of people there. I've seen less people are pro boxing matches (the fights were actually taken place in an open air Muay Thai arena). I spent most of the time at the concessions area in the parking lot waiting for it it be over, but there were people having unofficial fights out there too.
I also remember walking down the main street in Chiang Mai, not for from one of the big gates (so packed with tourists), and there was a bunch of Taxi drivers parked at an alley fighting cocks in there too.
What's the appeal? Jesus christ.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is unbelievable bad luck and I had no idea the blade would be large enough to do that kind of damage.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
today i learned cock fights involve razor blades to get to the outcome. i always thought it was just the raw fury of one over the other that eventually led to one's death.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea they actually strapped blades to these birds. Thats wild.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Yeah.. I had no idea that blades were involved. Wtf. The only "experience" I had with cockfighting was that mini-game in Sleeping Dogs, so I just assumed it was some weird ruffling feather peck-a-thon until one gives up.

The reality is really awful and sad. RIP.