• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Just like the title says, lots is happening with Fighting EX Layer:

--the free 1.10 version update went live a few hours ago, it includes two new characters (Pullum Purna and Vulcano Rosso), two new stages and a host of balance changes and bug fixes, which are listed in full here: https://www.facebook.com/ARIKAOfficial/posts/508794062917483

--due to fan demand, they're putting out a packaged version of the game in Japan, they're showing it at Konami's booth at TGS so I guess Konami's putting it out? https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201809050036/

--because EU regions missed out on the EVO sale, the game went on sale in those countries today and will be discounted for two weeks:
DlFt5_YV4AAsaF3.jpg

(before anyone asks, still no new info or ETA on Terry Bogard)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Are the DLC Gougi things essential?
I'm only going to be playing Shadowgeist, so missing out on the DLC character in the complete edition doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure if I'll be handicapping myself by not having though those.

That being said,I don't really want to pay an extra £15 for those.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are the DLC Gougi things essential?
I'm only going to be playing Shadowgeist, so missing out on the DLC character in the complete edition doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure if I'll be handicapping myself by not having though those.

That being said,I don't really want to pay an extra £15 for those.

Ditto.

I don't see the point in paying extra for essentially SF gems.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! Been waiting for this sale. Nice to see they are supporting it with free updates too

OP
OP

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Gougi decks aren't really gems, they're more like grooves. You won't necessarily be at a disadvantage if you don't own them all but I think the game is definitely more fun when you have the entire set of decks.

I honestly think they should get rid of the light version entirely, all it does is prompt questions about DLC and pay to win and other concerns that confuse the reality of the situation.

OP
OP

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Just got done with arcade mode post-patch and noticed they have endings now! It's just a few lines of text that probably won't mean anything to 99% of people but it's better than nothing.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to give Pullum Purna a shot. Love her design.

Just got done with arcade mode post-patch and noticed they have endings now! It's just a few lines of text that probably won't mean anything to 99% of people but it's better than nothing.

I like that. I had tons of fun playing the arcade mode and hearing that it has endings now (even if it's just a few lines of text) sounds great to me. Definitely better than nothing!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yesss, was waiting for the sale and these characters to drop, will buy when I get home from work. I'm assuming there's still no arcade mode though..?

Edit: question answered! Sweet.

OP
OP

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game is sooo much fun. Definitely going to import that physical release. Would even double dip if a western physical follows.
It deserves all the support.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
In for physical! I guess this confirms it's a success? ARIKA lives?

v15vxczjkq611.jpg

Hope it's the same box art used in the one they printed and gave out to select people.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The light version only contains 5 of the 15 total gougi decks (plus a couple rotating decks) and is missing one character, a clone of a character from the base roster.

Hmmm, the Standard Version is double the cost of the light version (£15 or £30). Is the one extra character and 10 gouge decks worth the price of the again? Is there anything else missing?

OP
OP

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, the Standard Version is double the cost of the light version (£15 or £30). Is the one extra character and 10 gouge decks worth the price of the again? Is there anything else missing?

Yeah, that's all that's missing. You can always buy the other content separately if you really want to, but it'll end up costing you a little more overall if you do it that way.

I said it before but I really think the gougis are important, not because you can't win without them but because they're what makes the game interesting.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's all that's missing. You can always buy the other content separately if you really want to, but it'll end up costing you a little more overall if you do it that way.

I said it before but I really think the gougis are important, not because you can't win without them but because they're what makes the game interesting.

Thanks for the answer dude. Will probably go for the standard edition then!

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question, but - after the addition of Arcade mode - how is the single player content now?

You have arcade mode, training mode and combo trials.

It's not an NRS game, but it's good enough for me.

EDIT: Arcade mode is a seven opponent ladder, and every character has 10-15 combo trials.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question, but - after the addition of Arcade mode - how is the single player content now?

You get an arcade mode with a very basic ending, two sets of combo trials for each character (one for standard controls, one for the easy-input "progressive" controls) and a training mode that has an option to fight AI in a survival-type setting. There's not a lot there but they have been adding stuff via free updates and they said they're thinking about a quick vs. CPU mode as well, so it may improve over time.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You have arcade mode, training mode and combo trials.

It's not an NRS game, but it's good enough for me.

EDIT: Arcade mode is a seven opponent ladder, and every character has 10-15 combo trials.

You get an arcade mode with a very basic ending, two sets of combo trials for each character (one for standard controls, one for the easy-input "progressive" controls) and a training mode that has an option to fight AI in a survival-type setting. There's not a lot there but they have been adding stuff via free updates and they said they're thinking about a quick vs. CPU mode as well, so it may improve over time.
Thanks guys, the recent sale is tempting, especially with free character updates. I'll need to think on it some more.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Picked up the Standard Version today. $46.65 AUD is far more acceptable than the RRP of $82.95 AUD.

May picked up a physical version too when they are released in Japan.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I wasn't crazy about it when I played the demo but I picked this up in then sale and I'm really enjoying it! It clicked after an hour or and I got used to the feel of it (quite floaty coming from SF5).