• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
b4LFofw.png

Release Date: June 28th, 2018
Developer: ARIKA
Publisher: ARIKA
Platform: PS4
Format: Digital Only
Price: $39.99(Light Version), $59.99(Standard Version)
File Size: 1.8 GB

uxwS7LC.jpg

Fighting EX Layer is a 2D fighting game, and the spiritual successor to the Street Fighter EX series(and arguably to Fighting Layer). Fighting EX Layer also marks the return of an ARIKA developed game, the first one in years, and the first ARIKA developed(solo developed, anyway) fighting game in 18 years. It started out as an April Fools joke back in 2017, but eventually was revealed to be a real game in development.

Fighting EX Layer is launching with Online Versus, Local Versus, Training Mode, Expert Mode(combo challenges), and Kumite Mode(single player survival mode, accessible through the Training Mode).

UPDATE: As of July 26th, Fighting EX Layer now has an Arcade Mode! Take on 7 AI opponents, and get a high score!

dI9hdwD.jpg

Fighting EX Layer is a six button fighting game--three punches, and three kicks like in Street Fighter EX. Characters can chain their normal attacks together by pressing Light, Medium and then Heavy in succession. Press both Medium buttons to perform a universal overhead

Every character can also run by double tapping forward. This run/dash also has an important sub-mechanic, and that's dash momentum. You can cancel your run at any time by inputting a normal attack, and this causes your normal attacks to have sliding, forward momentum on both hit and on block. This can lead to advanced combos that you could otherwise not perform due to the pushback of normal attacks when in a standing state. Experiment with what links you can perform off of dash-assisted normals!

Do fighting game motions give you trouble? Can't reliably throw a fireball or do a dragon punch? Well, ARIKA's got you covered. By choosing "Progessive Input Mode", all special moves can be performed by inputting a single direction and a button press. Supers are done with two direction inputs and a button press! Though...for charge moves, you still gotta charge that direction and then release it. Sorry, Jack players.

For a quick look at the control scheme for PS4, plus a brief description of the base mechanics, here's this infographic:

GQQGgXf.jpg

Aside from the base mechanics, what really sets Fighting EX Layer apart from other fighting games on the market is the Gougi system. Similar in execution to the Gems from Street Fighter X Tekken, the Gougi system are decks of five "gems" that you equip before entering a battle. These gems grant passive effects, and sometimes active effects.

There are two types of Gougis: Blue Gougi, and Red Gougi. Blue Gougis give small, passive buffs to things like attack damage and movement speed, and Red Gougis give significant benefits to your character. These benefits can range from infinite super armor, invisibility, guard cancels, combo breakers, regenerating super meter, and much more!

Activating these Gougis during a battle requires set conditions to be met. Blue Gougis are generally easy to activate--like, build one bar of your super meter and one will activate. Red Gougis on the other hand, have more stringent conditions--like, getting knocked down 12 times over the course of the fight to activate one Red Gougi.

The Gougi Decks come pre-loaded, and there's no way to make your own custom Gougi Deck. There are 15 Gougi Decks in the game, but the Light Edition only comes with five decks(AGGRO, JUGGERNAUT, SHINOBI, INFINITY, and MIRACLE), with two of the other ten decks being free to use in a weekly rotation. Standard Edition owners get all 15 decks at their disposal! Below are all fifteen deck lists, and the effects of each individual Gougi of those decks.

4jAJ9RU.jpg

W1UZP92.jpg

There are 13 characters currently in Fighting EX Layer. One of those 13 is DLC. Both the Light and Standard Editions come with 12 characters, but the Standard Edition also comes with the 13th character. Check the quote for a brief snippet of the characters, plus their movelist!

DtW1dZ0.jpg

There's a few pieces of DLC already listed. Two of them are colors DLC for the cast. One of them is a $9.99 DLC that gives each character six colors. The other is sets of Gold and Silver colors for each of the characters, but these are $4.99 per character.

There is also some additional DLC planned in the form of additional characters:

That's Pullum Purna, Vulcano Rosso, Area and Sharon, respectively. The word on the street(aka from Akira Nishitani, president of ARIKA) is that these characters will only be released if the game meets it's sales expectations. So, if you want to see these characters become a reality, do your part and support the game!

a7keoKD.jpg

Why is there no arcade mode?
Well...ARIKA is a small developer. What we have in the game was all they could afford to do. ARIKA isn't Capcom, Bandai Namco or Netherrealm Studios.

UPDATE: Fighting EX Layer now has an arcade mode~!

Why is there no physical edition?
Well, again...ARIKA is a small developer. A digital only release is what their budget could afford.

I don't like playing online. Will this game be for me?
Hard to say. If you enjoy fighting games with friends, then I'd say this is a very worthwhile purchase. If you enjoy BROKEN FUN, then this game will also be for you. In terms of single player investment, there's only the combo challenges and the Kumite Mode. The Kumite Mode throws endless AI opponents at you who equip different Gougi decks each time you fight them. If you feel you can be satisfied by that, then by all means, give this game a go!

UPDATE: If you're a player who needs an arcade mode, then Fighting EX Layer has got you covered now!

The Gougi System seems really broken....why give all these characters these crazy tools?
WHY NOT?!?!

What's the difference between the Light and Standard Editions?
Both versions come with the initial 12 character roster. The Light edition only gives you the five "starter" Gougi Decks, and gives you an additional 2 free as part of a weekly rotation. The Standard Edition comes with all 15 Gougi Decks ready to equip and use, and also gives you the DLC character Hokuto.

What's the difference between Shirase and Hokuto?
Aside from aesthetics, there's not a whole lot that's different. They seem to share the same normals, but both Shirase and Hokuto have differences in their special moves. Shirase also has a super attack that Hokuto does not.

Is there a difference between Base PS4 and PS4 Pro?
Yes! On base PS4, the game outputs at 720p, and PS4 Pro outputs at 1080p with a better shader. Here's a comparison video(with a tease of Mr. Rosso~)

Will the game have Legacy Controller Support?
Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Is there news on a PC version? Can we expect a PC version?
That's up in the air. We have to wait on the sales performance of this game before we can find out about a PC port. We should find out more about that in a few months time.

Those four DLC characters look neat! When will we know if they'll make it in?
See the above question. We need to wait on the sales performance before we know for sure. If you want them to be a reality, try and support the game!

7rL5VHa.jpg

SKULLO-DREAM~!

Last edited:

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Buying just to support Arika's earnest attempt at re-entering the game.

It's pricey, sure, and I might not even play it that much because real world obligations.

But I wanna support these cats.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
In it instantly. If I could have preordered it already I would have. I'm more than likely not buying the color packs (maybe the $10 one) but the full release will be mine.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Gonna pre-order tonight. My only gripe is the delay-based netcode, but this is going to be in my rotation. I'm already playing five Street Fighter games online nightly (I even fired up USF4 once this week). Let me add number six.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
This is a Day 1 purchase. I love all of Arika's titles and want to support future DLC. I really hope the netcode isn't complete crap.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
GOOD, GOOD!

I hope this game gets some positive attention. It was fun playing with people online, and getting to tell them about the EX games some. I rather liked how getting back into the out-of-dash normals that carried movement momentum, and the chain mechanics felt JUST like they did in the past. Definitely not a thing I ever played with people online, just with a few friends.

So getting to try that out with a wider variety, feels totally worth it for me. Arika's characters might not be perfect Street Fighters, but I like them on their own all the same, and the updates to their looks here are quite solid. The stages looks pretty nice, too! Oddly, I'm surprised at their variety? It's weird that many modern fighters seem to avoid old standby's like less busy areas of major city streets, or good ole desert stages.

The fact that you can feel that much of the design in this game... hasn't shifted much since the 90s, is pretty comforting to me. So much that comes out of Japan feels as if it's a product of only modern inspirations. Much like, say, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it's nice to see something that hasn't been hit too heavily by modern trends. This feels like the works that were inspired by late 80s media, made by developers who were active in the 90s, just with a 2000s coat of graphic fidelity. And that's great. Not like I've ever fallen out of love with those aesthetic and principles, it's more that not enough creators are producing well towards it!

So even beyond just this game as a fighter, this is a product I definitely wanna support. Even the Gougi system stuff is something I'd like to see given a real fair shake, rather than a red flag. Adding "Rainbow Edition!" silliness to the base level of a fighter is fun, and it should honestly be a good way to get the most out of the smaller cast, and should make mirror matches all the more unique.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first i'm hearing of this as well. It boggles my mind that new fighting games are being released without something as simple as an arcade mode. I'm still going to purchase this to show support to Arika though

This is probably the only true indie fighting game to be released on consoles this generation. Lower your expectations a little bit.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Combo Challenges are in, those were by far the best part of the SFEX series. Hopefully there's a ton of them.

Oct 26, 2017
Buying day one to support this madness. Will play Hokuto and Darun, but I'll be pissed if Pullum doesn't turn up after all.

Oct 26, 2017
And bought! It wasn't on new releases in Sweden but could be searched by title and purchased. Not a huge download either.

Not just day one but hour one too :D

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what this is out tomorrow? Hopefully it will be downloadable by the time I finish class at 10 PST.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I want to support Arika so much, but time obligations means I would barely be playing this and with no vs CPU mode I just can't make that monetary commitment. I understand resources are slim and they couldn't include it, but yeah. I'd like to down the line when I have more free time. Really hope this sells well.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
God damn that's expensive for the package you get. Do we have any idea about the quality of the netcode yet?

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
This is the first i'm hearing of this as well. It boggles my mind that new fighting games are being released without something as simple as an arcade mode. I'm still going to purchase this to show support to Arika though

Arcade modes must exist at this perfect nexus where it's too much to consider for the base product (Maybe due to AI, UI, and bonus content production), but also, just the right amount to add at a later time, without huge difficulty.

Ever since KoF XII (Which had an arcade mode, and decent mid-course cinematics), it's definitely been lacking AI that's more insulting to me than the absence of Arcade mode. XII had insanely bad AI, and it's a shame more single player experiences in fighters don't try to tout smart A.I more. This game has a survival mode, and if the AI is fun to fight there, that's when I'll start wishing for a new mode.

Fighting Online Player's Ghost Data should definitely be where the online focus meets the offline desires. They could do so much with that, if utilized properly. Tekken has had a Ghost Battle mode, but it always felt lacking to me, like it just focused on percent of moves used + costume designs, and not on adding in player quirks or weaknesses. The Quest Mode / Virtual Arcade stuff in Virtua Fighter 5 was aces, though. Being able to go between different locations, consistently see performance from the same players, and follow around rivals and such was fun. I remember that AI doing loads of Player-isms, like running off edges after ring-outs, over-relying on moves, and actually modifying their learning after you, in turn, started to spam what they were bad at defending against.

If Arcade modes are dying out to the point where developers think "Survival" is the healthy alternative, give me something like VF's "Quest" in return!

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want to support Arika so much, but time obligations means I would barely be playing this and with no vs CPU mode I just can't make that monetary commitment. I understand resources are slim and they couldn't include it, but yeah. I'd like to down the line when I have more free time. Really hope this sells well.

If you ain't about to buy it, others aren't either.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Arcade modes must exist at this perfect nexus where it's too much to consider for the base product (Maybe due to AI, UI, and bonus content production), but also, just the right amount to add at a later time, without huge difficulty.

Ever since KoF XII (Which had an arcade mode, and decent mid-course cinematics), it's definitely been lacking AI that's more insulting to me than the absence of Arcade mode. XII had insanely bad AI, and it's a shame more single player experiences in fighters don't try to tout smart A.I more. This game has a survival mode, and if the AI is fun to fight there, that's when I'll start wishing for a new mode.

Fighting Online Player's Ghost Data should definitely be where the online focus meets the offline desires. They could do so much with that, if utilized properly. Tekken has had a Ghost Battle mode, but it always felt lacking to me, like it just focused on percent of moves used + costume designs, and not on adding in player quirks or weaknesses. The Quest Mode / Virtual Arcade stuff in Virtua Fighter 5 was aces, though. Being able to go between different locations, consistently see performance from the same players, and follow around rivals and such was fun. I remember that AI doing loads of Player-isms, like running off edges after ring-outs, over-relying on moves, and actually modifying their learning after you, in turn, started to spam what they were bad at defending against.

If Arcade modes are dying out to the point where developers think "Survival" is the healthy alternative, give me something like VF's "Quest" in return!
That or guilty gear / blazblue survival or abyss modes are fine too

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same. I was into this game 100% until I heard they weren't doing an arcade or a basic vs CPU option. I hope the game meets sales expectations but this is unfortunately a pass for me until later on down the line.

Oh no, there isn't even a basic versus CPU option? So there isn't any AI?

That means I'm going to have to pass unfortunately..

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think I heard there's AI in the training mode (like SFV had when it launched) but as far as I know that's it. I'd suggest making sure of that though, I'd hate to tell you something that might not be accurate.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this isn't a case where fans think they want something until it actually comes out. With how fickle people are with fighting games I'm not going to blame Arika for trying to cut costs.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

There's some form of AI, as it says in the OP post:

"Fighting EX Layer is launching with Online Versus, Local Versus, Training Mode, Expert Mode(combo challenges), and Kumite Mode(single player survival mode, accessible through the Training Mode)."

That or guilty gear / blazblue survival or abyss modes are fine too
In the few ,odern ASW games I really get into, The SP never makes a lasting impression on me. I wanna stay it's a mix of occasionally boring presentation (there was a strategy mode in one of the BB's that had one of the most soul-less presentations I'd ever seen), alongside bad-to-start AI. But the last I REALLY tried to get into was M.O.M mode in one of the GG. Revs, so I'm definitely not up to date on them. (Story mode in DBFZ didn't count, I was hating it by the time I unlocked A21!) I did use to like M.O.M back on DC / PS2 GGs, though. I used to love all the crazy infinite meter and golden character stuff they did. I remember playing for hours trying to beat some EX++ Version of Justice once.

You'd think this game here would have a SP variant to push the Gougi system. Like a Gougi Gauntlet where everyone is using a certain set, that rotates every few days, or something. It'd be a nice way to show players the proper way to use certain decks.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well peeps that pick it up leave some netcode impressions I'm on the fence with this

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is up on UK PSN. £29 for Light version and £45 for Standard. Hokuto is £6.50 so going Light version and getting Hokuto separately might be what I do later on down the line.

Can those that get the game do me a favour and look through the game to see if there's a way to play against the AI in any way, even if it's in training? Thanks.

Oct 26, 2017
There IS indeed a VS CPU hidden in Training. You can set the opponent to be a CPU of easy, normal or hard difficulty. You can also set the mode to kumite, which replaces the opponent after every defeat. You can only do one round though, after a win and a second's pause, another opponent runs in. If you lose, you start over at the current opponent with reset meters. It's basic, but hey, there's AI.

I've only done two sets of matches against other European players, it seemed mostly fine.

Either I'm really bad at this game or Hokuto has a serious disadvantage against D.Dark. He completely shuts down most of her specials. The one I faced also had air superiority through his Gougi so I could barely jump in. The Gougis actually feel more like distinct variations, so there's 15 different versions of how a character plays. Some will be useless though - I doubt a Kairi with a focus on throws will be very useful.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love Arika (EX2 is one of the best fgs of all time for me), but... i don't know.

The beta made it clear for me that the game won't be as interesting as EX2, and i think the game is way, way too expensive for what it is

Oct 27, 2017
This game has future PS+ Free Game written all over it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to wait that long to get my hands on it. This thing is getting bought as soon as it's up on US PSN.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No arcade mode really bugs me since I'm mostly a solo player, but I want to support Arika so I am in for the full version!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I do want to support them because I love the designs and guts, but like a bunch of other folks, I'm really put off by the lack of an arcade mode :/

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Can anyone confirm if the game has online lobbies?

EDIT - looks like u can create rooms in Casual, not sure how many people they support though.

Last edited:

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Ah yeah almost forgot it was released.

Wondering if I should get the standard Want to support the so probably Standard.