• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly think this game should be an F2P for it to be a success.

Or at least, a PS Plus free game for the first month, like how Rocket League did it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't even play fighting games, but I'll buy this day one for helping support the dev.

Hopefully there's a single player mode.

OP
OP
Birdo

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good question. They normally work with Nintendo 95% of the time. Makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't help fund this.
That was a sly port beg and also completely innacurate.

Of the 43 games they're credited for, 20 have been on Nintendo platforms. They've only directly worked with Nintendo on two series (Endless Ocean and Dr. Mario) and helped port a few virtual console releases over to 3DS while the remaining were titles they were hired to develop for various publishers.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they ask the community for their input on what kind of new characters they want added .

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Yes because gems is one of the reasons why SFxT performed poorly, right. of course

Well... remember the auto-block gem you could buy that only took 1/3 of a bar of your meter? Or how the assist gems in general you purchased were better? Yeah... I would say it's one of the reasons. I remember seeing a cammy on Art's stream just holding forward against him and doing launchers. That was not a good look for the game.

EDIT: No, not trashing this game or whatever. Just saying gems in SFxT 2012 were a shitty DLC model.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This Gougi deck thing is mildly concerning, and the roster is pretty small for a full priced digital-only fighting game.
I might wait and watch how it's received.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game needs to have at least ONE single player mode if I'm going to buy full price for it. That being said, adding two more characters with one of them being Shadowgeist is a nice surprise but this being full price is making me very...cautious right now. Having played the beta a while back it'd be tough for me to accept it being a full price game.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Honestly think this game should be an F2P for it to be a success.

Or at least, a PS Plus free game for the first month, like how Rocket League did it.

What would this game be selling as a F2P game? Characters? The team is too small to produce massive amounts of characters. Cosmetics? The most they can do is color edits.

People are seriously overestimating the clout of a self published spiritual successor based on an obscure ass street fighter spinoff

OP
OP
Birdo

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game needs to have at least ONE single player mode if I'm going to buy full price for it. That being said, adding two more characters with one of them being Shadowgeist is a nice surprise but this being full price is making me very...cautious right now. Having played the beta a while back it'd be tough for me to accept it being a full price game.
They said there won't be a story mode but I have no doubt there will be an arcade mode.

Oct 25, 2017
They're really gonna hold back on Pullum for DLC aren't they... That female silhouette behind Shadowgeist is clearly not Pullum like someone else pointed out. sigh...

shadow84klr.jpg

It will have one single player mode for sure, they're just planning on announcing what it exactly is at a later date. My bets are on an arcade mode or something along those lines.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An arcade mode or a simple versus CPU would be more than fine with me. As someone who doesn't play fighting games online and just plays single player only, I don't think I could justify paying full price for just online and training no matter how much I want to support this game.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Really hope this game does some decent numbers, it already being a niche fighter doesn't really bode well for the game IMO, I want to see it succeed though.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The SFxT gem concept was a legit criticism of the actual core game, unlike the "on-disc" DLC drama on top of it, so I don't think the skepticism about the Gougi system is unfair and that with the pricing could be off-putting to people.

I'm not really a fan of the concept itself, so I'll have to wait and see personally.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
An arcade mode or a simple versus CPU would be more than fine with me. As someone who doesn't play fighting games online and just plays single player only, I don't think I could justify paying full price for just online and training no matter how much I want to support this game.
Vs CPU was listed in the main menu, but greyed out in the beta. It'll be in the final release for sure.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
This game totally isn't one where anyone should expect meaty SP content. It's a fighting game for people who like fighting each other. It'd be cool to have an arcade more, surely, but... Eh. I rather enjoy the idea that most of the resources of this project are going to the parts that matter most, in this case.

They said that at launch there won't be customizable decks but post launch they will be taking in feedback/data to possibly make it a thing.

Cool, had to make sure. I really wish they'd just... make them set groups, since that'd be more inclusive to real counterplay and strategy. It's suppose to be something to help newer players, and having them have random match play against 100s of gems that have no rhyme of reason to their set-up just seems... overly-complicated.

They're really gonna hold back on Pullum for DLC aren't they... That female silhouette behind Shadowgeist is clearly not Pullum like someone else pointed out. sigh...

shadow84klr.jpg

It will have one single player mode for sure, they're just planning on announcing what it exactly is at a later date. My bets are on an arcade mode or something along those lines.

Coo, pictures! Looks like Nanase, unfortunately :/

nanaseex2.jpg

And maybe Vulcan Rosso?

vrossoex2.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I either didn't notice that or completely forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up, that's a huge relief.
Yeah, I remember it because I was checking the menu for any mention of an arcade mode at the time (which there wasn't unfortunately). I hope an arcade mode is present in the final game, but I'll get it anyway to support the devs (I just love that some of my favourite characters have been brought back, Garuda especially).

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is this one of those moneyhat exclusive agreements or a "We're a Japanese dev that doesn't really care about Xbox" exclusives?

Because I'd be surprised if it's the former fr such a niche series within a fairly niche (nowadays) genre.

The SFxT gem concept was a legit criticism of the actual core game, unlike the "on-disc" DLC drama on top of it, so I don't think the skepticism about the Gougi system is unfair and that with the pricing could be off-putting to people.

I'm not really a fan of the concept itself, so I'll have to wait and see personally.
SFXT had like 12 characters that were on the disc locked away to get people to double dip on the psvita version.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Is this one of those moneyhat exclusive agreements or a "We're a Japanese dev that doesn't really care about Xbox" exclusives?

Because I'd be surprised if it's the former fr such a niche series within a fairly niche (nowadays) genre.

No, they addressed that on the stream and they said it was not "exclusive" in that regard. It sounded more like they have just limited resources and had to focus on one console and just said Sony was helpful and was pulling for them.

The stream was interesting in that they were talking about a lot of stuff companies normally wouldn't discuss regarding determining pricing and internal debates.

OP
OP
Birdo

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, the original plan was to release just the $59.99 standard edition but after hearing people clammer for a $39.99 price tag and after an internal debate, they decided to release the Light version.

They haven't talked nor even hinted about DLC Gougi decks.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No, they addressed that on the stream and they said it was not "exclusive" in that regard. It sounded more like they have just limited resources and had to focus on one console and just said Sony was helpful and was pulling for them.

The stream was interesting in that they were talking about a lot of stuff companies normally wouldn't discuss regarding determining pricing and internal debates.

Fair enough. I just didn't think UE4 ports were as costly and required as much effort as ports in other engines.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the original plan was to release just the $59.99 standard edition but after hearing people clammer for a $39.99 price tag and after an internal debate, they decided to release the Light version.

They haven't talked nor even hinted about DLC Gougi decks.

Yeah, I actually watched the stream. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on the general gameplay concept, and I can it see it not sitting well with people in general due to perception.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
A correction for the OP: the $40 version has 12 characters, not 10.

They also said it might feature rotating gougi decks or some other way of letting people try the other decks for free.

Fair enough. I just didn't think UE4 ports were as costly and required as much effort as ports in other engines.

If they release on Steam they'll have to run customer support in a bunch of different languages for a zillion different hardware specs, it's still a big commitment for a small team even if the port itself is straightforward.

OP
OP
Birdo

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They also said it might feature rotating gougi decks or some other way of letting people try the other decks for free.

If they release on Steam they'll have to run customer support in a bunch of different languages for a zillion different hardware specs, it's still a big commitment for a small team even if the port itself is straightforward.
I swear I heard them say the Light version includes 10 characters. They mentioned how there was debate about whether that version should include 10 or 12 characters but 10 was ultimately decided on.

I could be wrong but do you have an image or some way to confirm this?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

But on Xbox? UE4 plays very nice with it so a port would require relatively minimal cost and effort. MHW shows there's at least some kind of market for Japanese games that have traditionally never landed on Xbox before.

I'm sure it would sell enough to at least justify the port.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I swear I heard them say the Light version includes 10 characters. They mentioned how there was debate about whether that version should include 10 or 12 characters but 10 was ultimately decided on.

I could be wrong but do you have an image or some way to confirm this?

They did say that at one point as part of the discussion but the ultimate announcement was 12 for the light version, 12 + Hokuto for the standard version.

https://twitter.com/arika_co_jp/status/967983060409925633

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
But on Xbox? UE4 plays very nice with it so a port would require relatively minimal cost and effort. MHW shows there's at least some kind of market for Japanese games that have traditionally never landed on Xbox before.

I'm sure it would sell enough to at least justify the port.

This is a tiny team that just barely has the budget for one version of the game, and their work won't end the moment the PS4 version is released. Any and all ports, DLC, content updates, etc are contingent on the PS4 selling well enough to allow them to do it... and if the game doesn't sell at all then they might have to close shop, those are the stakes.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the stream now and this is what they say:

Light Version: 12 characters, 5 decks

Standard Version: 12 characters (Hokuto as an extra character), 15 decks

Hokuto may be purchasable as DLC at a later time.

Oct 26, 2017
No Pullum is disappointing, but I like Darun and Shirase so that's fine. The demo was fun - there really isn't anything else like it.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
goodbye Arika. This isn't going to sell at all.

They probably couldn't wait any longer- but it's going to get swamped by the bigger name titles.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Volcano Rosso is looking for C.Jack so I'm 99% sure he's one of the other characters left to be announced.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Really had a blast with the beta just hope we get some more info on things (I'm sure we will) leading to the release. That armor gougi was the worst thing.

Eternal Flame

Oct 26, 2017
Your Dreams
As a huge ex fan I was really hyped for this game, but No Pullum Purna is a serious blow to me. I thought she was a lock for sure since she was in the original 10. I liked shadowgeist but no way he or potentially (Ew) Nanase and whomever that other silhouette is. (Unless that's Hayate) should get in before her.

That being said I'm still down to pick this up, and hopefully Pullum can be added later.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is a tiny team that just barely has the budget for one version of the game, and their work won't end the moment the PS4 version is released. Any and all ports, DLC, content updates, etc are contingent on the PS4 selling well enough to allow them to do it... and if the game doesn't sell at all then they might have to close shop, those are the stakes.

Fair enough.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Aight I'm down, pricing won't appeal to everyone but Darun Mister calls for me to Indra Bridge fools and I cannot say no to that.

For that matter, couldn't they put the game on Early Access on Steam as well at least? Surely there are a few pubs who would be glad to help them out on it.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or you just want to play the game for free.

Arika would be screwed.
What no, I really want this to succeed.

But I'm not sure if it will have an impact on sales when it's released. There's plenty of fighting games that has been released in the last few years and it could be buried underneath all of them.

That's why I gave Rocket League as an example. They credited PS Plus with giving them the coverage they needed.