• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Fighting-EX-Layer-Sharon.jpg

Today Arika released an video update detailing more about their plans in the first half of 2019, along with showing Sharon's gameplay:

▼Early January 2019 Schedule Planning to have an update: mainly fixing arcade version. Attacks and systems will be adjusted slightly.
▼Mid-February 2019 Schedule It is one month before "Toushinsai -闘神祭-" (japanese tournament), but we are planning to take the courage to have a game adjustment. (Details are yet to be determined.) Planning to add more songs in the game
▼Late March 2019 Schedule Plan to release 1 additional character for free.
After that, we plan to add 2 characters by the end of May. Whether releasing 2 characters at the same time, or one at a time is yet to be determined.

The remaining two characters are most likely Area (free character) and Terry Bogard (the paid one).

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Nice!
These devs are doing a great job updating this game! All 3 versions of it.

Oct 26, 2017
Sharon and Area being free is very generous, I am happy to see that they will be free. Terry could be $10, and I'd gladly pay that price to support ARIKA.

I'll be excited to play them all this year!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The support for this game has been surprisingly solid, great job Arika.

Did not expect 4 free DLC characters.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really gotta get round to picking up the physical release of this, if only I didn't have a few other big releases this month/next month to grab. Maybe Feb... glad to see even more characters coming, even if I was never a fan of Area in the EX series. Hopefully if we get more characters after this they either start doing ones from Fighting Layer or maybe (in my dreams) make good with Capcom and get a couple of the OGs in this (I really loved Blanka and Bison in the EX series)

And yeah, absolutely cannot wait for Terry.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Honestly, this is the kinda support I'd like for all fighters. Only difference is I'd like to know upfront what support to expect. But paying an early premium for months of "free" new additions is great to me.

Sharon looks nice and fun from that bit of gameplay. I've little attachment to her classic self, so this is solid, even as a stand alone. I've always had a predisposition for the "nerdy" types in stuff, so also happy on the Area update. I wish Terry wouls stop by SMASH ULT on his way here too, but 1 outta 2 ain't bad! 2 out of 2 is best though...

ANYWAY, it's so nice to have a stream of ARIKA support like this. Whenever FEXL updating ends, I hope they can carry this type of support and communication forward. I'll always keep a ticket for a possible "Tecnicbeat" revival around...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sales must have been good?

At one point I remember reading that they had certain sales goals to hit or no additional characters, and I think that was 2~3 new characters ago.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing keeping this from being a bigger hit with me and my friends is the lack of lobbies. Such a baffling omission to me - don't they know that a lot of people prefer to play fighting games with their friends???

It really sucks - because I think it's one of the best fighters to come out this generation - which is saying a lot considering how many fighters came out this gen!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Only thing keeping this from being a bigger hit with me and my friends is the lack of lobbies. Such a baffling omission to me - don't they know that a lot of people prefer to play fighting games with their friends???

It really sucks - because I think it's one of the best fighters to come out this generation - which is saying a lot considering how many fighters came out this gen!
Well, the game does have private 2 player lobbies.
But yeah, it would be great if it had multi player lobbies with spectate.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How is the online these days?
I bought the more expensive version on day 1, loved it, but stopped playing after 2 weeks, because it was soooo hard to find some online matches. I can handle 1 or 2 minutes of waiting, but it often took 30 minutes or even longer to find a player.

The game is really good and incredibly fun besides that!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the more expensive version on day 1, loved it, but stopped playing after 2 weeks, because it was soooo hard to find some online matches. I can handle 1 or 2 minutes of waiting, but it often took 30 minutes or even longer to find a player.

Be glad you didn't get the PC version, with it's 15 players playing right now.

Oct 26, 2017

Like most niche fighting games, you should seek out forums or Discord to find matches with other people for online.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
The post-release support has been absolutely phenomenal. I'm still hoping they collaborate with Capcom to make a true Street Fighter EX 4, though. FEXL already shares a similar aesthetic with SFV, and I think the models from both games would mesh well together.

Are Sharon and Area the last SF EX characters left to implement? It's kind of funny that aside from Blair and Allen, none of the new Fighting Layer characters are actually in the game. I kind of want them to make the Shark playable again. I guess there's also the Cycloids. I honestly wouldn't mind them incorporating them into the game with cloned movesets like before.

What is that music in the Youtube video? Is that from an OST somewhere?
The first song is "Bloody Sluice Gate" from the FEXL OST. Apparently the OST was only available as part of a 7 CD + 1 DVD set comprising the entire SF EX and Fighting Layer series: https://sweeprecord.ocnk.net/product/3

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's awesome to see Sharon back. Her redesign looks great. It also surprises me that they keep adding free characters.

I'll support them by buying the paid one if it's $15 or less. I don't care if the paid character is Area (character I hate), but I assume it's going to be Terry because they'll need to pay royalties to SNK so it's better to pay them only from that DLC than from the entire game.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Sales must have been good?

At one point I remember reading that they had certain sales goals to hit or no additional characters, and I think that was 2~3 new characters ago.

The game has sold well enough to convince them to keep persevering with it but they're pretty much treading water, from the looks of things. I think they have the right idea by adding more free content over time but there's just so much competition that it's hard to bring people on board once a game's been out for a while, especially a smaller game like this one.

Are Sharon and Area the last SF EX characters left to implement? It's kind of funny that aside from Blair and Allen, none of the new Fighting Layer characters are actually in the game. I kind of want them to make the Shark playable again. I guess there's also the Cycloids. I honestly wouldn't mind them incorporating them into the game with cloned movesets like before.

There's also Ace, the custom-moveset character from EX3, but I can't see him coming back.

There are a few FL characters I'd like to see back but I'd also like some brand new characters at some point.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'll take them 10 months to a year to release Terry after his announcement.... Yeah.. I'm not seeing it.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
It'll take them 10 months to a year to release Terry after his announcement.... Yeah.. I'm not seeing it.

It's not as if they've been working on Terry and only Terry this entire time, between the announcement and May they'll have also released four other characters, plus the arcade & PC ports, the disc release, etc.

Terry may end up giving this game the last surge of interest it'll ever get, so it makes sense to leave him til last--the majority of complaints about this game are related to content/value-for-money, so it's to their benefit to put as much additional content into the game before Terry shows up so that newcomers are less likely to write the game off at a glance.