• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switching between the planes in the SNK games like Fatal Fury always tripped me up when I was younger.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The older I get the more I appreciate fighting games with stories in them. Rival Schools is awesome and although I don't own many of the recent Netherrealm games I do enjoy the ones I own and appreciate that they are pushing more and more for such a robust story mode.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I feel sorry for those who got Ballz as a gift.
Accolade went from Hardball and Test Drive to Bubsy and Ballz.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, Ballz 3D, as Jeff said, innovated the science.

Hyped commentary? Yes.
Minimal UI? Yes.
8 direction movement that Soul Calibur and Tekken would steal? Yes.

They should have ranked Ballz 3D first so it could have been recognized as the greatest fighting game of all time.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
th

The list became much worse when Ben joined in on it. That's probably why so many in this thread dislike it.

He still hasn't gotten his lab coat so the science suffers as a result.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with Ballz 3D is that there's no dedicated fart button, otherwise it's one of the most polished games they've experimented with yet

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to see 7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES)

Underrated gem of a game. Was a total blast to play.

S4LTY

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
The science is so sound on this program. I can't wait for Ben to get his lab coat and finally become a full Doctor of Science in the field of Digital Combat Events.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Teras Kasi doesn't even deserve to be on a joke list.

Sailor Moon S should be #1

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Critical Blow!? Holy molly I think I still have that relic somewhere in the house. It was pretty fun.

s-l300.gif

tumblr_otq7s2blSD1r7sijxo1_400.gif

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The portrait for Zhou in Kensei: Sacred Fist is some horrific shit.
latest

I wish there were a way to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom that didn't involve the Wii, Wii U, or emulation. The game deserved better. And the game did get a Quick Look with Jeff and Ryan back in 2010.

Last edited:

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
The portrait for Zhou in Kensei: Sacred Fist is some horrific shit.
latest

I wish there were a way to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom that didn't involve the Wii, Wii U, or emulation. The game deserved better. And the game did get a Quick Look with Jeff and Ryan back in 2010.
I can't believe they didn't notice the Steven Seagal lookalike in Kensei! That should have placed it in the top 50.
Not that I loved it back then, but the game was considerably worse than I remember. It still hurts a little that one of the few lesser known fighting games that I can remember got scienced into oblivion, when other obscure, and ultimately bad, fighting games that I've never heard of soar into the top 50.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Blood Warrior is one of the easiest fighting games to pick up and play. Jeff and Ben were doing combos by the 2nd match.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Warrior looked incredible.

In terms of games that I thought of as Street Fighter 2 clones back in the day and where they are in the list as of today:

16. Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite (Neo Geo)
31. World Heroes 2 Jet (Neo Geo)
32. Fighter's History (Arcade)

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
okay so blood warrior is made by the same people who a year later would release the kung-fu master jackie chan

which would get updated as:

jackie chan in fists of fire

arguably the first ranking of fighters

and almost ten years old now where on earth does the time go

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I play fighting games often, and there's a few on this list that I've never even heard of...

Guess I'll have to check them out at some point.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this much: Time Killers has a more interesting set of characters and was more interesting to watch than Bloodstorm. But I must respect the science.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah this list is clearly not serious. Like what basis is even used to form an opinion according to this list? I'll have to check out a video.

I'm guessing they're saving the better games the deeper down the list they play? That HAS to be it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I posted in here previously, but seeing Rival Schools as #1 makes me want to forgive the rest of the list.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomoka Minato's zoning game through basketball buckets in Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax is the right kind of absurdity.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah this list is clearly not serious. Like what basis is even used to form an opinion according to this list? I'll have to check out a video.

I'm guessing they're saving the better games the deeper down the list they play? That HAS to be it.
The structure of an average RoF episode:

They pick two random fighting games, usually ones that are janky or obscure-ish

Play them for about a half-hour each

Stick them on the list based on whatever they feel like at that specific time

Make a bunch of jokes about it being a very scientific process at the same time

I wouldn't call it a joke list, perse, but it's definitely not meant to be taken seriously and is pretty tongue in cheek.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't call it a joke list, perse, but it's definitely not meant to be taken seriously and is pretty tongue in cheek.

I also think the feature largely works because they've mostly been playing obscure/dated stuff. I think you'd see a lot more complaining if they were just going with all the generally highest rated fighting games. Even half-jokingly it's a lot easier to judge/showcase something like Bloodstorm in half an hour.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Caught one of their episodes a few weeks back with the timefighters (forgot the exact title). It was actually fairly enjoyable i have to say.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Dengeki Bunko got a fucking raw deal in the rankings. That game is great and should have gotten at least a top 15 placement.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm irrationally annoyed that Ben is stamping Episode 0036 in time with discussion about this year's Evo sign-up during the King of Fighter '95 segment. The point is to create evergreen fighting game content.

I also think that the creators of Time Killers would enjoy that their game is listed as the 69th greatest fighting game of all time (for now).

Last edited: