• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
EvilPowerfulAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking game is so legit right now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Blade Strangers is getting 3 characters for its 1 year anniversary.
Aban from 1001 Spikes, Piaa from Doki Doki Poyacchio, and another version of Umihara Kawase from Umihara Kawase.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
So so. Did a good job of saving all its roster reveals till the last month or so. Marketed really well and rode that to decent enough players but no real tourney scene or lasting community developed for it.

It's all simple inputs and you got your command normals and autocombos in it if I remember correctly so it was easy to explore and get into.
Thing was there were a ton of cast that didn't really have a ton of routes or room to experiment in combos. This, the small roster of niche faces and the lower end graphics kind of lead to it fading out imo.

There were exceptions like Gunvolt, Curly and one or two things here and there that lead to neat options in combos but it wasn't really enough. Had your run of the mill shen worlds collide story mode but large chunks were retread every play thru.

It's not trash but its nothing special. Everything it's set out to do Battle for the Grid came out a year later and did way better mechanically and presentation wise. Neat if your into the roster. Honest review.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Blade Strangers should add Copen tbh
I highly agree. Dem orbs son. Dat list of mimicked powers. Shield. Gun. Ah yiss.

Anyhow footage of stuff.

BTW PIAA is from a PS1 japanese game the Umihara creator was involved in. It was a harvest moonlike dating sim with some magic and Piaa was a shit to the main dude. Like literally named him "dickhead".
Doki Doki Poyatchio review for those interested in where Piaa came from.

EDIT:
Oh shit...this update is free and its out NOW on ps4. Apparently it also changed move properties across the board for the game. I may need to rehit this in case the update freed the whole cast up to be like Quote.

It feels a bit more free. Maybe just scaling changes though some folks got new move properties like on ex moves like quote. Feels more fun than I remember but it's been bout half a year or so.

Anyhow neat stuff. Bikini kawase has more rushdown and ianlong range hitter not grappler this time. Has a wicked command grabsuper from half screen and a one bar super you can combo after. Also a neat hang instead of zipline this time.

Piaa is wild. She can place orbs like venom and ricochet them around, has a super that hits behind you and neat cancels and dancey stuff.
Aban has slides, dodge rolls, and damage plus knockdowns.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Hard confirm from Nicalis in a tweet to my impressions of the patch. The game is indeed faster and has improved graphics. I noticed you could get wackier with combos than before testing differences between Summer Kawase and Umihara Kawase movesets. Basically feels like heatup is no longer you only cancel option and many signature moves or whatever they call em cancel now. Plus ex moves have been changed alongside of other tweaks plus scaling feels altered.

Feels better. This is much more interesting than before. Plus each of the new trio has their own unique storymode exclusive story. I may have to replay some older cast to see if anything was altered to their story. Hello Gunvolt and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might seem out of the blue but I've thought about it for awhile now - what's the point of 2-3 seconds of flight in a Capcom fighter? Someone like Iron Man or Morrigan being able to fly for a bit, why? It feels like a really short time and there's a good chance you'll get kicked out of the air anyways. I don't see how it could create more combos or something in midair than just, you know, jumping and attacking in midair.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Fly/unfly combos allow you to stay in the air longer and hit more buttons while in the air.
- Jumping is predictable. If you raw jump (for example to avoid a setup or the corner), most of the time the opponent will know where you'll land and can catch you. Any way to alter your air trajectory (dive kick, air dash, glide) is a way of making yourself less predictable. Fly makes you the least predictable possible, especially with characters like Morrigan who also have weird airdashes.
- Being in the air is also most of the time less dangerous than being on the ground. You won't eat a combo as damaging if it starts mid-air. They have to come to you to shoot you down, often through predictable routes you can shut down (like with Dante's Devil trigger). Slow characters with risky defensive options like Doctor Strange stay in the air a lot to set up their traps in all safety.
- And then, you have the weird cases, Storm in MvC2, MODOK in 3...

Flying is a very, very versatile power. And that's coming from a bottom-of-the-barrel scrub, so I'm sure people who actually play these games will have much better answers.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I highly agree. Dem orbs son. Dat list of mimicked powers. Shield. Gun. Ah yiss.

Anyhow footage of stuff.

BTW PIAA is from a PS1 japanese game the Umihara creator was involved in. It was a harvest moonlike dating sim with some magic and Piaa was a shit to the main dude. Like literally named him "dickhead".
Doki Doki Poyatchio review for those interested in where Piaa came from.

EDIT:
Oh shit...this update is free and its out NOW on ps4. Apparently it also changed move properties across the board for the game. I may need to rehit this in case the update freed the whole cast up to be like Quote.

It feels a bit more free. Maybe just scaling changes though some folks got new move properties like on ex moves like quote. Feels more fun than I remember but it's been bout half a year or so.

Anyhow neat stuff. Bikini kawase has more rushdown and ianlong range hitter not grappler this time. Has a wicked command grabsuper from half screen and a one bar super you can combo after. Also a neat hang instead of zipline this time.

Piaa is wild. She can place orbs like venom and ricochet them around, has a super that hits behind you and neat cancels and dancey stuff.
Aban has slides, dodge rolls, and damage plus knockdowns.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Hard confirm from Nicalis in a tweet to my impressions of the patch. The game is indeed faster and has improved graphics. I noticed you could get wackier with combos than before testing differences between Summer Kawase and Umihara Kawase movesets. Basically feels like heatup is no longer you only cancel option and many signature moves or whatever they call em cancel now. Plus ex moves have been changed alongside of other tweaks plus scaling feels altered.

Feels better. This is much more interesting than before. Plus each of the new trio has their own unique storymode exclusive story. I may have to replay some older cast to see if anything was altered to their story. Hello Gunvolt and Shovel Knight.

Ha. I came in to ask about Blade Strangers since it's on sale on Switch ($20, 50 percent off the normal $40 price). Guess I'm gonna pick this up.

Edit: Also on sale on PSN ($20), along with Crystal Crisis ($15) F'n a

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Looks like Power Rangers is in the flash sale on PSN today. I'll probably pick it up even though I know I'll be complete garbage at it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Power Rangers is very fun. I'm holding my own in gold league right now but I'm definitely flailing around more than doing anything coordinated or on purpose, lol. I hope they continue to build on it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers is very fun. I'm holding my own in gold league right now but I'm definitely flailing around more than doing anything coordinated or on purpose, lol. I hope they continue to build on it.
Remember to try jump canceling and when you do to hit jump and your attack pretty much about the same time. The attack will typically come out at first available frame. Typical combo path that most share is standing L M, crouching M then Launcher which is generally diagonal or down heavy for most, and then finally some sorta of repetition of some of the first part into SUPER. All that before using assists too! You can experiment pretty easily on mixing in specials and ex moves before launchers a lot. Typically I do air L M and the second I land I try for something fast to just stall them from hitting the ground long enough to do another launcher or I just land and do something that launches immediately like with Pink Time force ranger who has a billion launcher moves lol.
TLDR: Holy shit most anyone can magic series into relaunch :D

Great characters to learn combo basics with are Red Ranger, Pink Time Force, and Ranger Slayer IMO. So many of their tools can be jump cancelled, their stuff loops easily, their supers easily combo, and they tend to have great tools to relaunch and keep things goin.

Here's a recent video that features most of the cast to get ideas of how to link various tools together. Dont try to memorize whole combos at first. Just look for stuff like to piece into whatever random hits or combo starters you get like Red Rangers stuff into his blaster or Kats divekick stuff. Vid is full of great ideas to insert fun two to four hit links into tons of things you do. Memorize enough of those and you'll style before you realize it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Remember to try jump canceling and when you do to hit jump and your attack pretty much about the same time. The attack will typically come out at first available frame. Typical combo path that most share is standing L M, crouching M then Launcher which is generally diagonal or down heavy for most, and then finally some sorta of repetition of some of the first part into SUPER. All that before using assists too! You can experiment pretty easily on mixing in specials and ex moves before launchers a lot. Typically I do air L M and the second I land I try for something fast to just stall them from hitting the ground long enough to do another launcher or I just land and do something that launches immediately like with Pink Time force ranger who has a billion launcher moves lol.
TLDR: Holy shit most anyone can magic series into relaunch :D

Great characters to learn combo basics with are Red Ranger, Pink Time Force, and Ranger Slayer IMO. So many of their tools can be jump cancelled, their stuff loops easily, their supers easily combo, and they tend to have great tools to relaunch and keep things goin.

Here's a recent video that features most of the cast to get ideas of how to link various tools together. Dont try to memorize whole combos at first. Just look for stuff like to piece into whatever random hits or combo starters you get like Red Rangers stuff into his blaster or Kats divekick stuff. Vid is full of great ideas to insert fun two to four hit links into tons of things you do. Memorize enough of those and you'll style before you realize it.

Yes I definitely understood all of the things you said and will implement them, lol. I'm barely competent at fighting games so this is largely an exercise in supporting a good licensed one. Having a lot of fun in my flailing though.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I definitely understood all of the things you said and will implement them, lol. I'm barely competent at fighting games so this is largely an exercise in supporting a good licensed one. Having a lot of fun in my flailing though.
No problem lol. It's a good flail game. Even knowing things ya can go for in flurry moments folks at all levels end up hitting stuff and this game caters to those moments by allowing folks to link so many moves together without many restrictions.

Cant tell ya how many times folks have hit shit and been asked "wait...did you intend to do that?" To which they just grin desperately and try to pretend they're godlike when they was mashing lol.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Played quite a bit of KoF lately on fightcade with my SO (98' and 2002) and everytimes we play I realize how much i've been missing out with this serie.
But fuck if it isn't difficult to even get "ok" at, even in XIV who's the most streamlined.

Need to remember there's the three type of jumps and man hit confirming is a bitch I swear, not even gonna mention stringing stuff together or canceling super into max super, etc. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming -sigh-.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played quite a bit of KoF lately on fightcade with my SO (98' and 2002) and everytimes we play I realize how much i've been missing out with this serie.
But fuck if it isn't difficult to even get "ok" at, even in XIV who's the most streamlined.

Need to remember there's the three type of jumps and man hit confirming is a bitch I swear, not even gonna mention stringing stuff together or canceling super into max super, etc. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming -sigh-.
The whole concept with KOF is that you need to learn and master the fundamentals (jumps, runs, guard cancel, max activation, etc). Once you've done that, it becomes quite easy to jump from character to character (at least the ones from the same archetype). Learn their moves, a basic combo, and you can be operational in no time. That's the whole reason for the huge roster (though of course each game has a few really odd/complex characters that don't play like anyone else).

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The whole concept with KOF is that you need to learn and master the fundamentals (jumps, runs, guard cancel, max activation, etc). Once you've done that, it becomes quite easy to jump from character to character (at least the ones from the same archetype). Learn their moves, a basic combo, and you can be operational in no time. That's the whole reason for the huge roster (though of course each game has a few really odd/complex characters that don't play like anyone else).
I'll keep at it, I really wanna play XV when it comes out and everyone plays it, although i'm sure there's a lil bit of activity still online in XIV.

...Probably all good players. ;-;

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in my experience, fans of KOF are DEDICATED. That's why I dropped the series around 2002, I couldn't keep up...
Usually folks drop 2002 because they managed to reach omega rugal and found that after winning every round to get there with no less than 2 total rounds lost even vs bosses that Rugal was both input reading psychic, faster, had extra hits to genocide cutter and could cancel.anything into it plus had faster / staggerable fireballs and a rekka too fast to block on reaction...and no continues if you lose on the first attempt. Start the climb with no round losses all over again thru the entire game for another shot.

Take THAT Maximmillian boss rage series! Ain't nothing scarier than 02 unlimited Omega Rugal. Gonna need save states.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, no, I meant, dropping off the local KOF scene. The bosses are not really part of that. Was Omega Rugal in 02 that hard? Compared to Ignitz? All I remember from bosses of the NESTS period is to hold down-back and wait until the boss rolls forward to punish the last frames with your biggest B'nB. And also pray that he doesn't chip you to death before rolling.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no, I meant, dropping off the local KOF scene. The bosses are not really part of that. Was Omega Rugal in 02 that hard? Compared to Ignitz? All I remember from bosses of the NESTS period is to hold down-back and wait until the boss rolls forward to punish the last frames with your biggest B'nB. And also pray that he doesn't chip you to death before rolling.
Omega Rugal specifically from 02 Unlimited is hailed collectively as the hardest SNK boss of all time. Even over Ignitz but its honestly closely debated since both Touch of death and have no ai exploits. 02 unlimited rugal is above though because you only get one chance.

The fact that it had a ridiculous prerequisite to fight him and that he was then input reading, speed up beyond reaction hope, had his fireball game buffed to insane levels and could cancel any jump over to a new genocide cutter that's new 3rd hit protected it from whiff punishes, and he had a dash up rekka that ate Everything ever was big. Biggest part was that you only got one try. Fail and it was game over.

A boss that hard that starts you all the way back at the title was insane. It usually ended so fast you didnt know what had happened. He could just run an entire character off a touch and often did.

Lookup 02 unlimited omega rugal. Its ridiculous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Hell yeah
Tournies need to stay in japan for kof right now honestly. Lot of nightmare stories in the usa around our borders right now and since snk was a bigger hit south of the border and in japan due to the cheap cart based arcade cans (and rampant bootlegs) than here most of the competition is not american. Hope this way we see more of the top draws show.

Damn xenophobic regime made it so we cant even lure in world class players for single tournament streams. Hope this Japanese championship for kof gets loaded. I miss seeing the likes of romance and frionel.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Niiiiice. I love these projects. I wish I knew if there was a go to penultimate KoF fan project since there are so many. So many rosters to bring to6in that one as well. Kinda surprised at how little I see fan projects make an Asura or Gene for their mugen games given how heavily they get asked for.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
There is 2 KOF game that I know of that use the mugen engine.
KOFE :

KOF Wing :

Its always nice to see legit mugen fullgame getting more exposure especially since mugen was how I got into fighting games

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, have some questions regarding the Switch and fighting games.

Are the NeoGeo ports on Switch (specifically Last Blade 2, SamSho V Special, and Garou) good? I plan mostly on just dicking around with the CPU.

Is there any hope of Samurai Shodown's Switch release being playable online (Smash is okay for me on my wireless) or do I need to spring for PS+?