• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
....What does that mean.
It's one of the most complex dating sims ever made. It's not just stat checks and balancing different gauges, it has a very unique hexagon-based progression system that require understanding the matchup against each girl (and your friends/rivals) to unlock all the events. The girls are also much more complex than your average dating sim (not in the "written like a believable human being", more like "wow, I didn't expect this story to take such a "real" turn / I didn't expect this character to cater to this particular niche"). There's lots of surprising twists and turns for a normal high-school love story, and the complexity of the system is a huge part of it.
(Also, it was a failed joke on my part, don't read too much into it)

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, don't think I ever heard about a dating sim with other characters going after the romance options. Interesting. And the interface indeed looks nuts for a VN.
b1ImpnM.jpg

Also looks like one of the girls is a Kamen Rider, so that's cool:
gfs_113709_2_107_mid.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
So I believe it still doesn't have an exact release date (I think it's just winter 2019 right now), but the Samsho Neo Geo Collection will use rollback netcode.

Oct 25, 2017

I've never seen this talk before, it's really good. Didn't understand everything in it, since I'm not a programmer and it's quite dense.
Go to 6:15 and 9:00 for a very good visual explanation of delay-based (lockstep) vs rollback netcode.

This is how much work it was to make NRS games run on rollback netcode:
KJlEalw.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it was the price of adding it later instead of making the game around it. Not sure if it was Keits or one of the Cannons that commented they thought NRS wouldn't be able to do it. Showing again how good they are, after their customizing of Unreal for MK9.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've never seen this talk before, it's really good. Didn't understand everything in it, since I'm not a programmer and it's quite dense.
Go to 6:15 and 9:00 for a very good visual explanation of delay-based (lockstep) vs rollback netcode.

This is how much work it was to make NRS games run on rollback netcode:
KJlEalw.png

this was on developing on a game ill-equiped to implement rollback so they had to make very drastic changes to the game. Development work would decrease if it's implement at the start of a game dev cycle if your building the game around it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing some KOF98/2002 on fightcade here and there, I can't wait till KOFXV news start being released. ;_;
Even though I'm not really good at KOF it's such a fun serie to play. I ain't a grappler player but some of them are legit fun in those games, especially when you just cancel a normal into a grab it's always satisfying to pull off, for me.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Compy died. Said fuckit. Financing a workstation this time. This time I'm gonna go in on something designed to handle that shit. Fucking hierarchy nature of cg work. Multiple cores mean nothing for that. Only clock speed! 2nd time in 7 years I've fried a cpu using desktops during cg shit. Goin hard on a liquid cooled cg oriented thing this time. Intel I9, nvidia 2880, 64gb ram.

So...anything in particular I should try out with fighting games once its in between actual stuff I'm working on with it? Not sure if my favorite genre has anything on pc that doesnt just look like console. Any particular mods or titles in general that just look better on high end pc in this genre? Mainly got it for rendering shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing some KOF98/2002 on fightcade here and there, I can't wait till KOFXV news start being released. ;_;
Even though I'm not really good at KOF it's such a fun serie to play. I ain't a grappler player but some of them are legit fun in those games, especially when you just cancel a normal into a grab it's always satisfying to pull off, for me.
KOF is a prime example of how boring and unimaginative Capcom grapplers are.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clark and Shermie (oh, and Vice as well) were my introduction to grapplers. Never liked Daimon, or Raiden/Big Bear. Maxima is super weird as well.

But mostly Shermie >>> every loser with a 360.

Oct 25, 2017
Daimon and Shermie are also top tier. Vice is steadily becoming one of my favorite characters to play even though I can't do shit with her.

In other news, Ars Technica picked up Infil's article on netcode:
arstechnica.com

Explaining how fighting games use delay-based and rollback netcode

How to design your game for optimal play over a network.

Reaction from their readers is quite positive. Sajam also went through the whole thing on stream, of you prefer an "audiobook" version or want some complementary commentary/explanation:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Clark and Shermie (oh, and Vice as well) were my introduction to grapplers. Never liked Daimon, or Raiden/Big Bear. Maxima is super weird as well.

But mostly Shermie >>> every loser with a 360.
I think what makes me like those grapplers are just the animations whenever you do a grapple move, Shermie had some sick lookin animation, even if one of them had her attack with her bust first and then followed by some suplex.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Love me some grapple. Bane in injustice from day 1 had me hooked. We kept warning them not to listen to a parroting mob who didnt play him we told folks they didnt need to buff him and soon hed be a monster. Later with a huge dash, staggerable armor, an auto correct grab super, massive anti air and more he was a bracket buster. He broke every rule and once he got juiced hed plow through any button and abuse armored grabs after a knockdown to murder fools.

Since Bane I've made it a point to abuse grappling. Hugo in sfxtekken. Dragon armor Trini in bftg. Anyone with a grab and armor.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ive liked grapplers ever since street fighter ex2 *shrugs*
Never cared for shermie or any grapple type character in kof. Maybe liked Ramon but he got some goofy looking supers by kof 02.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Ive liked grapplers ever since street fighter ex2 *shrugs*
Never cared for shermie or any grapple type character in kof. Maybe liked Ramon but he got some goofy looking supers by kof 02.
I loved playing as Vice in kof 13. Dirty secret...I loved playing super skrull in mvc3. Did better with him than my main but they didn't fit any team I used. Long range grabs are dope.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
We talking about grapplers? May I introduce you to a quaint fellow named General RAAM, who can be found in the dead fighting game known as Killer Instinct!

This man's command grab holds considerable value even if it might do exactly what you'd expect a command grab to do because it does unrecoverable damage. In Killer Instinct, you deal damage in a combo but you then have to "cash out" to actually have it decrease their health bar. With RAAM's command grab though, that can be a clean 20% gone just because you guessed correctly.

Now you might be thinking "well that's all well and good but what does this command grab LOOK like?". Well, worry no more!

Yes, the man grabs his opponent with one hand, stabs them in the gut, throws them back down and stomps on their fucking face.

If a character with incredible range on his normals, an armored move that functions very much like a Focus Attack from SF4, OTG resets, OTG resets, hard knockdowns from command grabs, A poison mechanic and an Instinct mode that keeps doing damage to the opponent for simply existing while making the screen darker and more difficult to see for everyone, please check out this wonderful guide!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I loved playing as Vice in kof 13. Dirty secret...I loved playing super skrull in mvc3. Did better with him than my main but they didn't fit any team I used. Long range grabs are dope.
Forgot he had that xp
Oh and waldo in uniel has a long range grab too of sorts as well

dong-dumbdance.gif

Yeah i liked using big bird but grapplers to me...shoulsnt combo into their grab moves nornally like in kof. So while i doe njoy play as tizoc and his heel persona, same as raiden, comboing into grabs feels off to me.
Still id have them on my team since i like grapplers and a fancy looking grab or throw is a fancy looking grab~

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the man grabs his opponent with one hand, stabs them in the gut, throws them back down and stomps on their fucking face.
Also see: Beowulf in Skullgirls. Grabs you with one hand and then has like 6 different follow ups, beat'em up style, from striking to wrestling grapples and slams.

Yeah i liked using big bird but grapplers to me...shoulsnt combo into their grab moves nornally like in kof. So while i doe njoy play as tizoc and his heel persona, same as raiden, comboing into grabs feels off to me.
All respect: lost :v

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so like Jax's grab in MK?
It leads to more options, but yeah, similar. Besides striking (which leads to extra damage or gauge depending on the strike), he can walk and jump, do the different wrestling moves (that, if hit the previously set up chair, do extra damage, thus the importance of being able to move while grabbing), go into a snapback from it and, of course, all of that is chainable (with the slams/snapback being finishers). His grab also is purely his HP if he doesn't have the chair (which still is a strike so can be blocked) and has a running grab special+stagger normals to maximize range too.

Up to 8:36.

All of that also ties into his hype/crowd mechanic (since he is a wrestler). If he is over enough, some of his supers will automatically transition into the grab, allowing you to extend it however you choose, or gives him a 3 count pinfall that does a bunch of extra damage. Or he can go into a special lv3 grab super that allows him to chain all the wrestling slams and strikes into a big custom chain grapple.

A couple of cool examples of his grapple+chair mechanics in a combo:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot he had that xp
Oh and waldo in uniel has a long range grab too of sorts as well

dong-dumbdance.gif

Still id have them on my team since i like grapplers and a fancy looking grab or throw is a fancy looking grab~
Personally, that's also why I love them in KOF. It's a crazy concept considering the damage grapple moves usually do (with follow-up) but I think it's well-balanced by the fact they have very few combo options and they're more about poking, versus non grappler who can do many, long combo chains.

Also I should really give Tizoc a try.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
We talking about grapplers? May I introduce you to a quaint fellow named General RAAM, who can be found in the dead fighting game known as Killer Instinct!

This man's command grab holds considerable value even if it might do exactly what you'd expect a command grab to do because it does unrecoverable damage. In Killer Instinct, you deal damage in a combo but you then have to "cash out" to actually have it decrease their health bar. With RAAM's command grab though, that can be a clean 20% gone just because you guessed correctly.

Now you might be thinking "well that's all well and good but what does this command grab LOOK like?". Well, worry no more!

If a character with incredible range on his normals, an armored move that functions very much like a Focus Attack from SF4, OTG resets, OTG resets, hard knockdowns from command grabs, A poison mechanic and an Instinct mode that keeps doing damage to the opponent for simply existing while making the screen darker and more difficult to see for everyone, please check out this wonderful guide!
Fuck I miss this game. Loved Me some KI. When the new workstation arrives I'm gonna max settings this gem and bring back the good.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
if you wanna talk busted grapplers, then look no further than uniel.

Waldstein had a bug where if he did a certain combo, it could be repeated infinitely and timer scam everyone. too bad it got patched out.

then theres big boi gordeau. grim reaper makes it impossible to jump vs him. mortal slide means any errant poke costs 1/4 to 1/3 of your hp. assim has WTF range and just craps on tons of moves which makes trying to OS him impossible. because of his ridiculous close, mid and long range threat it made contesting him for vorpal almost impossible and with vorpal his already strong tools became even dumber. now he could grim reaper > RC and now you had to guess if he was going to command grab you or use his ridiculous 8 frame 2C anti-everything to destroy you. best character in the game bar none.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
if you wanna talk busted grapplers, then look no further than uniel.

Waldstein had a bug where if he did a certain combo, it could be repeated infinitely and timer scam everyone. too bad it got patched out.

then theres big boi gordeau. grim reaper makes it impossible to jump vs him. mortal slide means any errant poke costs 1/4 to 1/3 of your hp. assim has WTF range and just craps on tons of moves which makes trying to OS him impossible. because of his ridiculous close, mid and long range threat it made contesting him for vorpal almost impossible and with vorpal his already strong tools became even dumber. now he could grim reaper > RC and now you had to guess if he was going to command grab you or use his ridiculous 8 frame 2C anti-everything to destroy you. best character in the game bar none.
Ah yes, I think I recall seeing a video about that specific Waldstein glitch. Gordeau's considered a grappler?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I think I recall seeing a video about that specific Waldstein glitch. Gordeau's considered a grappler?
No. Gordeau is considered a BASTARD lol.
Dude was so oppressive for so long In uniel. Youd literally start within his range on forced defense right out the gate. Ever since F23 injustice 1 Superman I've made it a point to look out for folks with fast startup on moves you start within range of being hit by. Sucked because supes was plus on block too with f23. Literally no reason to not start with that string. Gordeau for awhile was that oppressive with his buttons.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Here come that Cable 4 shot goodness dropping this week. Cant wait for Quantum Ranger. Pc store stuff claims hes dropping the 22nd. Max gets into Quantum in the trailer reactions lol.

Last edited: