• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I received my stick today. I'll have to grind to get my execution to a decent level. No more online matches for me for a while.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I decided to attend evo this year, is been 23 years since my last time in the USA

Hope to meet some people from here

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if you found the answer yet, but go for the HK version. It's been confirmed to have English menus and subs in a couple places, such as Xian's stream here. The HK store/account setup process is also easier to navigate than JP since you can choose English as your language when setting up your HK account.

Sp00ky has confirmed that the JP version doesn't have English.

Good looking out on the headsup. I live in Japan at the moment so I was just gonna go up the street after work, but the HK version is probably cheaper either way. Already got a HK account setup as well so should be able to dive in tonight.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Theres poverty fighter then there is poverty fighters. I think this beats the melty blood on a trashcan behind the venue moment in it's own way. It's even bring your own laptop! Hope Cerebrawl gets more money someday. They keep plugging along no matter how broke they are outta love for their project.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Any anticdotes on the GBFV online experience. I'm close to pulling the trigger if its better than SamSho

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
It's shocking to me how in 2020 a game like Granblue Versus not only isn't multi-platform but doesn't even have a simultaneous international release. We all talk about netcode and multi-platform netplay yet here we are. My interest in this game and Samsho were sky-high but with no PC release, why should I bother.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute.... Granblue supports replays...

....Isn't that a big prerequisite to rollback?
Yeah but japanese developer fragile egos can't handle a solution to a problem not being made in japan.

I'm being facetious, but at this point i ran out of excuses i can think of, for not wanting to implement rollback.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
It's shocking to me how in 2020 a game like Granblue Versus not only isn't multi-platform but doesn't even have a simultaneous international release. We all talk about netcode and multi-platform netplay yet here we are. My interest in this game and Samsho were sky-high but with no PC release, why should I bother.

This kind of thing definitely increases the odds that when Riot (or whoever else) show up someday with their own fighting game, they actually do really disrupt things.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Bonchan has announced he's taking a step back from tournament competitions to focus more time with his new family.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Garou Mark of the Wolves, which was rollback patched last week, is at 5 or 7 bucks until the 21 of this month.

7b688580-2679-4367-9ecc-69a4814aaaf5.jpeg

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I asked in the arcade stick thread but I'm going to try here also:

Just got my first stick this week and need some help. (It's the Mayflash f500 by the way)

So far it is going better than anticipated. Practicing my execution, I am able to get my QCF and DPs more or less constantly. My issue lies with the buttons. How do I position my hand to get access to all the buttons quickly? I was watching the CrossCounter TV video and Gootecks advised to use 2 fingers to hit each button. Tried that and there's no way I am fast enough to do some combos in KI. So I default to piano but I don't feel comfortable and I'm mixing the buttons. Any advice?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
So far it is going better than anticipated. Practicing my execution, I am able to get my QCF and DPs more or less constantly. My issue lies with the buttons. How do I position my hand to get access to all the buttons quickly? I was watching the CrossCounter TV video and Gootecks advised to use 2 fingers to hit each button. Tried that and there's no way I am fast enough to do some combos in KI. So I default to piano but I don't feel comfortable and I'm mixing the buttons. Any advice?

Really ? First time I hear of that technique.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fighting game casual who is looking to get a little better at fighting games in general. I know there are tons of resources in the OP, which are helpful, but I'm curious what do people think in terms of playing games that aren't the most current with huge community of players with various skills?

I find myself most interested in Guilty Gear Strive and was wondering if it would be worth trying to get into GG Xrd at this point? I imagine anyone who is still playing that game is a beast and it may be a little overwhelming playing opponents who so drastically better than someone like me who is more of a beginner at the game.

Or should I focus on something like Granblue Fantasy Versus, which I imagine will have more of a wider beginner player base with it being a new game. Though I'm not too much of a fan of the Granblue aesthetic or characters.

Alternatively, would now be a good time to jump into Under Night In-Birth with [cl-r] almost out? I'm definitely more interested in it over Granblue. I'm guessing with it being an EVO main stage game, that it will have a decent amount of people playing it. I'm just hoping that there are enough players around my beginner skill level that I can find matches against.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I'm a fighting game casual who is looking to get a little better at fighting games in general. I know there are tons of resources in the OP, which are helpful, but I'm curious what do people think in terms of playing games that aren't the most current with huge community of players with various skills?

I find myself most interested in Guilty Gear Strive and was wondering if it would be worth trying to get into GG Xrd at this point? I imagine anyone who is still playing that game is a beast and it may be a little overwhelming playing opponents who so drastically better than someone like me who is more of a beginner at the game.

Or should I focus on something like Granblue Fantasy Versus, which I imagine will have more of a wider beginner player base with it being a new game. Though I'm not too much of a fan of the Granblue aesthetic or characters.

Alternatively, would now be a good time to jump into Under Night In-Birth with [cl-r] almost out? I'm definitely more interested in it over Granblue. I'm guessing with it being an EVO main stage game, that it will have a decent amount of people playing it. I'm just hoping that there are enough players around my beginner skill level that I can find matches against.
Best thing to do is hop into a discord to find people at your skill level and above. People generally are very friendly to new players and can show you the ropes for whatever game you're interested in.

Now is a great time to get into Xrd since it is highly unlikely Strive is coming out this year.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

The best time to get into a game is always when it's new. Because everybody is learning at the same. When a game is old, you get all the info available already but you miss the fun part of discovering the new techs. My 2 cents

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I asked in the arcade stick thread but I'm going to try here also:

Just got my first stick this week and need some help. (It's the Mayflash f500 by the way)

I was unaware anybody played that way, and I've been playing on a stick for like a decade plus. You should do what works for you, and to some extent, it depends on the game. For a game with four primary buttons (like Marvel 3 or Dragonball FighterZ) the most common button layout is:

L M H
S A1 A2

I just have my index, middle, and ring across the top three and my thumb on S. Which finger I use to press the assist buttons kind of just depends on the situation. In a six button game like Street Fighter, I have my fingers in the same place by default, but just shift my hand down a little use the three main fingers to access kicks. If I want easy access to any given button at a moment's notice, I can just kind of hover my hand roughly in the center of the button layout.

The method Gootecks is doing (using both index and middle fingers together to press a button) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If you're playing a six button game, you need to be able to hit any button as quickly as possible. Let's say you're using that method and go to hit light punch, so you shift your whole hand over to the upper-left button. At that moment, you're opponent jumps in at you. You're playing Chun-li, so your anti-air is b.HK. You now need to physically move your whole hand to the opposite side of the button layout, which takes time and is imprecise.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017

You should play whatever you're interested in enough to stick with. All things being equal, newer games (like Granblue) or games with large playerbases (like SFV) are less intimidating since there are lower level players around still. You can definitely learn older or more niche games, but you've got to accept it might be like a year until you take a game off of somebody.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I was unaware anybody played that way, and I've been playing on a stick for like a decade plus. You should do what works for you, and to some extent, it depends on the game. For a game with four primary buttons (like Marvel 3 or Dragonball FighterZ) the most common button layout is:

L M H
S A1 A2

I just have my index, middle, and ring across the top three and my thumb on S. Which finger I use to press the assist buttons kind of just depends on the situation. In a six button game like Street Fighter, I have my fingers in the same place by default, but just shift my hand down a little use the three main fingers to access kicks. If I want easy access to any given button at a moment's notice, I can just kind of hover my hand roughly in the center of the button layout.

The method Gootecks is doing (using both index and middle fingers together to press a button) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If you're playing a six button game, you need to be able to hit any button as quickly as possible. Let's say you're using that method and go to hit light punch, so you shift your whole hand over to the upper-left button. At that moment, you're opponent jumps in at you. You're playing Chun-li, so your anti-air is b.HK. You now need to physically move your whole hand to the opposite side of the button layout, which takes time and is imprecise.
For reference, I am playing Killer Instinct and my main is Hisako who uses all 8 buttons so I have to be efficient at pressing my buttons. Even though the last 2 buttons on the right are used less frequently

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking less chance of missing the input if you don't apply the pressure at the right time
maybe you're right. I'll practice using 3 buttons instead

I don't know KI specifically, so there might be some reason to use the macros that I'm not aware of, but I think generally it's better to use as few buttons as possible. This will allow you to shift your hand position as little as possible which helps with consistency and speed (it does for me personally, anyway).

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't know KI specifically, so there might be some reason to use the macros that I'm not aware of, but I think generally it's better to use as few buttons as possible. This will allow you to shift your hand position as little as possible which helps with consistency and speed (it does for me personally, anyway).
All characters in KI have moves with PPP or KKK which are set to LB and LT on the xbox controller. It makes sense as it would be very hard to press all 3 buttons on the controller. But with the stick I might not need to map them to a separate button.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
All characters in KI have moves with PPP or KKK which are set to LB and LT on the xbox controller. It makes sense as it would be very hard to press all 3 buttons on the controller. But with the stick I might not need to map them to a separate button.

That makes sense- macros are mostly geared toward pad users, and they can often be ignored when using stick (though there are sometimes option selects and other techniques which are made easier with the macro, even on stick).

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Guys, is it worth it getting FGs on PC? I've been meaning to dump my consoles after looking at how little I'm using my PS4. The thing is, I've been getting by with SF5 (thank you crossplay) but the future looks bleak. Should I just accept the fact that it's consoles + PS Plus to get my fight on?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Guys, is it worth it getting FGs on PC? I've been meaning to dump my consoles after looking at how little I'm using my PS4. The thing is, I've been getting by with SF5 (thank you crossplay) but the future looks bleak. Should I just accept the fact that it's consoles + PS Plus to get my fight on?
only if free online + potential mods are worth it to you

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'd just like one fighter on PC with:

- a 1v1 format
- appealing art and graphics
- no Denuvo
- no aggressive MTX
- female characters that actually look capable and practically dressed
- a player base large enough for quickplay to work or: crossplay
- rollback netcode

thx

Am I too picky? There's so many good fighting games, but I haven't found one that checks every wish on my list. The closest is probably Fantasy Strike, but I'm mostly impartial to its art; the female characters are borderline... they're certainly not abyssal anime bad but they're not not waifu/cosplay bait either. And I kind of want a deeper game. And I just... don't really wanna get into FS, man. I'm not feeling it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'd just like one fighter on PC with:

- a 1v1 format
- appealing art and graphics
- no Denuvo
- no aggressive MTX
- female characters that actually look capable and practically dressed
- a player base large enough for quickplay to work or: crossplay
- rollback netcode

thx

Am I too picky? There's so many good fighting games, but I haven't found one that checks every wish on my list. The closest is probably Fantasy Strike, but I'm mostly impartial to its art; the female characters are borderline... they're certainly not abyssal anime bad but they're not not waifu/cosplay bait either. And I kind of want a deeper game. And I just... don't really wanna get into FS, man. I'm not feeling it.
Killer Instinct?

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Really? I've heard matchmaking doesn't always work in KI, especially if I wanted to play the Steam version. Is there a hack I can use to get it into the MS crossplay? I like KI, but it's been a long time since I played and that was on Xbone and I didn't like FGs then like I do now.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This kind of thing definitely increases the odds that when Riot (or whoever else) show up someday with their own fighting game, they actually do really disrupt things.

Even developers with 30 years of experience like Ed Boon makes mistakes.

Making fighting games is one of the biggest challenges in gaming: one mistake and you can ruin the whole game.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Even developers with 30 years of experience like Ed Boon makes mistakes.

Making fighting games is one of the biggest challenges in gaming: one mistake and you can ruin the whole game.
Imagine bein an indie with no help wanting to do one...its an exorcise in masochism.
Shoutouts to Cerebrawl btw. They hanging in with no money, and no lifesupport. They just wont die and I respect them for it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Really? I've heard matchmaking doesn't always work in KI, especially if I wanted to play the Steam version. Is there a hack I can use to get it into the MS crossplay? I like KI, but it's been a long time since I played and that was on Xbone and I didn't like FGs then like I do now.
The steam version is crossplay if I remember correctly. If not you can always get the windows or xbox version. There are still a good amount of people playing. I am on xbox and have no problem finding matches.