• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I went from only playing DBFZ to slowly not playing it much at all. I'd mainly just jump in to try the newly released characters and that's it. The game just got stale for me pretty fast, unfortunately. Trying to get back into it because there's a lot I really enjoy in the game. My biggest issue was looking at it as a "Marvel" game instead of its own thing. The enjoyment I got from Marvel is absent in DBFZ, but that's not a fault of DBFZ. I just have to enjoy DBFZ on its own merits.

What's funny is DBFZ is basically a dream game for me. My favorite Manga/Anime in the style of my favorite fighting game series.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I went from only playing DBFZ to slowly not playing it much at all. I'd mainly just jump in to try the newly released characters and that's it. The game just got stale for me pretty fast, unfortunately. Trying to get back into it because there's a lot I really enjoy in the game. My biggest issue was looking at it as a "Marvel" game instead of its own thing. The enjoyment I got from Marvel is absent in DBFZ, but that's not a fault of DBFZ. I just have to enjoy DBFZ on its own merits.

What's funny is DBFZ is basically a dream game for me. My favorite Manga/Anime in the style of my favorite fighting game series.
I can definitely understand. I tried MVC3 at the times and really disliked it. But I really enjoyed DBFZ gameplay. Unfortunately, I had to stop after a while because the matchmaking is a hot pile of garbage and I was losing my time litteraly (like many fighters of this Gen I like to play, to my regret).

But either way I won't say a game is garbage because the mechanics don't click. I just shrug it off and go play something else.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely not the case, nowhere near it too. In almost every situation, defense or offense(or even during combos), MvCI always offer a larger variety of options and possible outcomes. Not to mention MvC struck a nice balance between strong rushdown and strong keep away where both are viable even at the highest level, while one of those is a whole FG gameplay style completely missing from DBFZ.
45200.jpg

FGC always willing to start dick measuring contests lol

They are both great games. Let's just leave it at that.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
45200.jpg

FGC always willing to start dick measuring contests lol

They are both great games. Let's just leave it at that.
It's not about this/that game is better(depth isn't that big a factor when it comes to quality or fun), I just thought it was hilarious that someone going around questioning if people played the game based on their opinions about it was clueless enough to think DBFZ had as much depth as Infinite!

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about this/that game is better(depth isn't that big a factor when it comes to quality or fun), I just thought it was hilarious that someone going around questioning if people played the game based on their opinions about it was clueless enough to think DBFZ had as much depth as Infinite!

DBFZ does have a lot of depth. Who cares if it has as much depth as MVCI?

Instead of arguing over dumb semantics, maybe you should be playing and supporting your game online because it's pretty dead.

https://steamcharts.com/app/493840

Or are you one of those who tell everyone about how great a game is but never play it and support it?

Capcom shills are wild these days.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I can say one thing that every place online has in common: say something about MVCI in comparison to another game (gameplay wise) and the automatic rebuttal is "Lol ded game".

I have no horse in this race. I just find it funny.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making fun of Infinite, I'm making fun of him. I like the game. Just not as much as other fighting games on my plate right now.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at those charts, I find it funny that the most successful fighting game on steam right now is... For Honor.

Miserum !

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, arguing over whose fun is the better fun defeats the purpose of finding either fun. Just play the games and enjoy them without having to gauge your entertainment based on whether your own enjoyment of one title is still coinciding with what is the most popular in that genre of fighting games. Hell I found stuff to enjoy in Blade Arcus and that thing originally released japan only, limited time dlc, worse graphics than anything we've been talking bout sans Arcana Heart and NO online. You like it. Just play it. Rest of the trends or metas be damned. Just learn to enjoy things.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Lmao

DBFZ does have a lot of depth. Who cares if it has as much depth as MVCI?

Instead of arguing over dumb semantics, maybe you should be playing and supporting your game online because it's pretty dead.

https://steamcharts.com/app/493840

Or are you one of those who tell everyone about how great a game is but never play it and support it?

Capcom shills are wild these days.
Oh, I've been playing my game a lot for the past four years, it just happen to be Xrd, not MvCI. Not sure why you'd assume that I'm an MvCI player(I even played it less so than DBFZ), but I can see from those two pages logical conclusions aren't your forte. :)

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

Oh, I've been playing my game a lot for the past four years, it just happen to be Xrd, not MvCI. Not sure why you'd assume that I'm an MvCI player(I even played it less so than DBFZ), but I can see from those two pages logical conclusions aren't your forte. :)
Honestly it's not worth your time arguing with him at all. Just don't take it seriously and move on.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling + Antagonizing other members; previous infraction for similar behavior
Lmao

I can see all your posts. You are not slick buddy.

So you don't put your money where your mouth is. You're just all talk and no action.

That's pathetic.

Capcom might demote you at this rate.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Moving on...
Looks like someone in the past year who was a MUGEN developer years ago has made great strides in their 2yr project.It's their personal mission to use Unreal to create a 2d Fighting Game maker engine with all the Mugen functionality that is completely customizable from head to toe and that feels comfortable for any old MUGEN user to jump into. Long overdue idea honestly considering all the great things you could make in MUGEN for nearly 20 years of homebrew fighting games but no real means to ever go commercial with anything.
Here's their youtube video developer diary for UNREAL FIGHTER 2D, Twitter and some other stuff.

https://twitter.com/Achilleon_UE4
https://www.youtube.com/user/AchilleosUDK/videos
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/...4-meets-mugen-update-28-07-2018-170837.0.html
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/64941-project-unreal-fighter-2d

Already has a MVC 3v3 with assists based mode built in to utilize and a really slick projectile interface. You can even swap opponent palettes on hit with a projectile which could be neat for state change stuff if you wanted to have projectiles that caused debuffs and had visual indications.

If this thing is as easy to use as he set out to make it and you can use it commercially...this could start a flood. :)
Current estimate from dev is 1 to 1.5 years before full release. Prep your assets people.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

On the same boat as you, except the main thing is I can't get a match in lower than 10 minutes.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Moving on...
Looks like someone in the past year who was a MUGEN developer years ago has made great strides in their 2yr project.It's their personal mission to use Unreal to create a 2d Fighting Game maker engine with all the Mugen functionality that is completely customizable from head to toe and that feels comfortable for any old MUGEN user to jump into. Long overdue idea honestly considering all the great things you could make in MUGEN for nearly 20 years of homebrew fighting games but no real means to ever go commercial with anything.
Here's their youtube video developer diary for UNREAL FIGHTER 2D, Twitter and some other stuff.

https://twitter.com/Achilleon_UE4
https://www.youtube.com/user/AchilleosUDK/videos
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/...4-meets-mugen-update-28-07-2018-170837.0.html
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/64941-project-unreal-fighter-2d

Already has a MVC 3v3 with assists based mode built in to utilize.

If this thing is as easy to use as he set out to make it and you can use it commercially...this could start a flood. :)
Current estimate from dev is 1 to 1.5 years before full release. Prep your assets people.

If it's UE4, I wonder how hard would it be to start importing 3D models/animations from recent fighters.

As for going commercial, the hurdle(for 2D fighters at least) seem like it was always the assets creation, if you had that, the engine isn't much of a problem, a single dev is enough to put everything together along with creating a new engine.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
If it's UE4, I wonder how hard would it be to start importing 3D models/animations from recent fighters.

As for going commercial, the hurdle(for 2D fighters at least) seem like it was always the assets creation, if you had that, the engine isn't much of a problem, a single dev is enough to put everything together along with creating a new engine.
You aint just kidding bout the asset part. Its rough and then some. However, we've seen many full on Mugen original characters before (not just reskins and edits) and many many teams exist dedicated to that. If this works similar to what they are used to then I could see those circles stirring up and pumping out some stuff again. Not everything has to be Skullgirls of SF3 in frame counts. Plus many sprite part or sprite generation based programs exist. as well as things like Spline that can turn out some decent looking frames from a few views of a character and by chopping up each section of the character and using bone and bind with squash stretch to animate them like many RPG do. Folks will take shortcuts if a decent engine exists. Some to prototype till better frames are made and some outright will use those things to make stuff akin to Card Saga Wars.

It'll be good to see this exist. The projectile editor vid had me pretty excited.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
Alright I just wanna address this
What other play styles? This is a game based on combos and assists, of course everything is going to be rushdown. This is not a footsies based game like Street Fighter.
That character that defined the whole meta in MvC2, Sentinel? That's a spacing character. Even Storm wants to safely build meter, Magneto's the only MvC2 character whose gameplan is to get in within the first two seconds.

Popular zoners:
Cable
MorriDoom
Peacock
MorriHunter

Oh yeah I also don't think there's quite enough mixup in DBFZ... this one's more character-dependent as the strong characters do have it, but more mixup + more defense is what a lot of other "airdash" fighting games have. Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, VSav, Skullgirls, UNIST.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
I picked DBFZ up seriously last week (pre-ordered, but was in the MHW craze) and it's deep enough? Moreso than SFV at the least. Defensive options seem fine, especially if you want to compare it to MvC3. Friggen unblockable incoming mixups to guarunteed dead characters, lol. The mixups, combo damage, and combo length are nowhere near as strong as they are compared to Marvel 3. If I touched you with Zero at the start of the match and you didn't have Sentinel coming in next, there was a good chance that the round could be over within the next real world minute and a half.

The neutral and lack of multiple assists is definitely a weak point in the game. If I was ASW and were considering ways to improve game play that's where I'd look first. Make zoning an option and add more combo/mixup potential with multiple assist options.

May 1, 2018
Defensive options seem fine, especially if you want to compare it to MvC3. Friggen unblockable incoming mixups to guarunteed dead characters, lol.
Yeah it doesn't have unblockables which means it's so...

No no, that actually is fair. Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN had unblockables at first, and probably intentionally since it's the same thing they did in early GGXX. DBFZ doesn't. That's a point to be made.

I didn't list any Marvel game, especially not Marvel 3, in the games with more defensive options though. But 2 and Infinite do have Pushblock Absolute Guard to block high/lows.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I picked DBFZ up seriously last week (pre-ordered, but was in the MHW craze) and it's deep enough? Moreso than SFV at the least. Defensive options seem fine, especially if you want to compare it to MvC3. Friggen unblockable incoming mixups to guarunteed dead characters, lol. The mixups, combo damage, and combo length are nowhere near as strong as they are compared to Marvel 3. If I touched you with Zero at the start of the match and you didn't have Sentinel coming in next, there was a good chance that the round could be over within the next real world minute and a half.

The neutral and lack of multiple assists is definitely a weak point in the game. If I was ASW and were considering ways to improve game play that's where I'd look first. Make zoning an option and add more combo/mixup potential with multiple assist options.

There's nothing as bad as blocking Magneto tap dancing on your head while blocking cold star assist, but it is much easier to get someone blocking in DBFZ in the first place.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can say one thing that every place online has in common: say something about MVCI in comparison to another game (gameplay wise) and the automatic rebuttal is "Lol ded game".

I have no horse in this race. I just find it funny.
By their logic, SF5 is irrefutably the greatest 1v1 2D fighting game in this gen because it has more players. lol.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Surprisingly I'm much better at blocking in MVC3 than in DBFZ, likely because of years of experience against Zeros and Magnetos at this point. I swear there are times online where I'm holding back and I get opened up by a mid somehow. Add on that reflect and guard cancel are pretty bad + zoning is not even a viable playstyle - I'd say the defensive options in DB aren't that good.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Defense is overall more robust in MvC3 than DBFZ due to pushblock and movement alone.

The only big thing in DBFZ's favor there are that you generally have to land at least 3 clean hits in neutral to win.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I never heard of Brawlhalla, wanted to play a smash bros style game for a while, but never had the console to do so.

Just watched some videos, I really liked what I saw, so I'll try this when I get home this week end. Let's just hope the online and matchmaking are decent.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I never heard of Brawlhalla, wanted to play a smash bros style game for a while, but never had the console to do so.

Just watched some videos, I really liked what I saw, so I'll try this when I get home this week end. Let's just hope the online and matchmaking are decent.
Hell its getting guest characters. I think yooka laylee and maybe dead cells? Can't remember . Think brawlhalla is good you should try Rivals of Aether. It's gettin Shovel Knight. No clue when mega crossover Bounty Battle will finish up...or its quality.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
UMVC3 East Coast vs West Coast is now live https://www.twitch.tv/kbradjstorm

I'm so upset Wesker will never be in a fighting game ever again. He's one of the most beautifully translated and animated fighting game characters I've ever seen.

Also I forgot how fun the hit confirming is in 3. I wish DBFZ had more unique hit confirm routes.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken season pass gonna cost 2800yen/25 dollar

Currently talking about it on the Tekken stream at the Tokyo Tekken Masters tourney

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Update will add a simple auto combo

added a gauge for better visibility when you rank up

Balance chances etc.

Update also on Sep 6th. Tekken World Tour will use the update. Did not expect this to happen so soon. This will be so sick

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that Tekken is rebalancing the game and adding new mechanics in the middle of the World Tour.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Knee wins Tokyo Tekken Masters with Lili against Qudans
2015-08-24-762844.jpeg

He completely dismantled Qudans with Lili

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Knee was labbing so hard during EVO just to bring that to the table.

He is far away the best player in the world right now.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Knee ate Qdans for breakfast. Imagine being good enough to do that to one of the best players in the world.

He is the best in the world, no way around it

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Knee just put on a clinic. That was the most insane movement to shut down a top tier character ever in a fighting game. He moved Qudan to the wall without pressing any buttons.