• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
What's the best fighting game I can get on the switch?
Old or new. Interested in sfii but not sure.

Oct 25, 2017

If you want something a bit different, I'd recommend Blade Strangers and SNK Heroines.

Blade Strangers is beginner friendly and I really like it a lot but the online is kind of dead. If you do manage to get a game, it's most likely going to be some crazy fella from Japan who'll KO you in 5 seconds.

SNK Heroines, despite all the perviness, is a pretty decent fighter with some really experienced developers behind it. I think the online for this one is kind of dead too.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Since DOA gets no love in here I bring goodies from the DOA6 Beta:
All the Character Costumes:

A few matches with the princess:

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that the consensus is that the 5th franchise to be added to BBTAG (if they haven't decided to drop support of the game while no one was looking) will be Senran Kagura, but after seing Sakura Taisen teased and then added to the Star Ocean gacha, I suddenly want ST in BBTAG. Fan-service from the 90s fighting fan-service from 2010! After all, if they are indeed pushing for a ST revival in 2019, it might make more sense than SK marketing-wise?
ST being Sega also means less bureaucracy, since Persona is already in...
(This is all with the assumption the game is actually not dead).

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
4pd15to.gif

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Arc sys is doing too much shit combined with being terrible with coverage of their games, so nobody knows. I don't think even they know

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the verge of buying Blade Strangers, I know that I'm not going to play it that much, but I always try to buy fighting games, specially those who are doomed to be ultra niche.

Which is the consensus of the game?

Oct 25, 2017

You've got some good options all round really.

I would personally say DBFZ over SF Anniversary. The controls are a fair bit more lenient and permissive in DBFZ if you're playing in portable mode.

I've personally enjoyed playing DBFZ on Switch more than Anniversary Collection, despite being a big capcom fanboy. I've had a chance to play the games in Anniversary Collection enough times, whereas DBFZ feels comparatively fresh.

Neither SF or DBFZ have much of an online community on Switch.

If you're into Smash or want something accessible that you can play locally with friends, get Smash.

MK is out in a few months if you like MK.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
What is happening with all those tiers lists coming up 1 month, sometimes 1 week after release / balance patch... I thought we needed much more time to flesh things out...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A 1 month tier list for a balance patch doesn't seem that outrageous, unless the change list consists of a huge revamp of the core mechanics of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I know that the consensus is that the 5th franchise to be added to BBTAG (if they haven't decided to drop support of the game while no one was looking) will be Senran Kagura, but after seing Sakura Taisen teased and then added to the Star Ocean gacha, I suddenly want ST in BBTAG. Fan-service from the 90s fighting fan-service from 2010! After all, if they are indeed pushing for a ST revival in 2019, it might make more sense than SK marketing-wise?
ST being Sega also means less bureaucracy, since Persona is already in...

If they add Sakura Taisen's characters in, I want Sumire's attacks to consist of sarcasm, scorn and the ojou-sama laugh.

I'm on the verge of buying Blade Strangers, I know that I'm not going to play it that much, but I always try to buy fighting games, specially those who are doomed to be ultra niche.

Which is the consensus of the game?

I had fun with it. Great fun for mashers as well as people who put effort in. Story mode is surprisingly decent.

Online seems kind of dead BUT there are people still playing and (as I previously mentioned) they'll probably KO you in 5 seconds. There's plenty of colours to unlock per character but some are unlocked after hitting a certain rank in online matches (which may be tough as the online isn't cross-platform).

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Huh, guess Anakaris wasn't that bad in VH?

I cannot think of any other FG that could even match Vampire Saviour's speed and pace @_@

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was bad.
The higher half in Hunter1 were Bishamon and Sasquatch, then Phobos, Aulbath, Pyron, then Gallon, Phobos, Zabel.
Morrigan was extremely strong but was very match-up dependant. Her main strength was that she was good against Bisha and Quatch, and was often considered one of the 3 main top characters for this reason.
Donovan was mediocre. The bottom tiers were Anakaris, Dimitri, Leilei and Felicia. Victor was a disaster.

But like Savior1, the tier list of 20 years ago only made sense when you had dedicated players still keeping their skill of the game at the absolute best. Which is why you see mid characters like Gallon winning Savior1 now, or people not thinking Zabel is absolute top in Savior1 anymore: because the competition is less fierce, and the training required to play the more difficult characters is too demanding for game you'd play once in a blue moon.

Anyway, when in doubt, don't think too hard and pick Sasquatch.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot of Darkstalkers and Vampire Hunter last year. That series is such a graphical feast of over-the-top animations with plenty of hijinx. At the very least i hope we'll see another rerelease of the trilogy, or better yet Darkstalkers Chronicle from the PSP.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
He was bad.
The higher half in Hunter1 were Bishamon and Sasquatch, then Phobos, Aulbath, Pyron, then Gallon, Phobos, Zabel.
Morrigan was extremely strong but was very match-up dependant. Her main strength was that she was good against Bisha and Quatch, and was often considered one of the 3 main top characters for this reason.
Donovan was mediocre. The bottom tiers were Anakaris, Dimitri, Leilei and Felicia. Victor was a disaster.

But like Savior1, the tier list of 20 years ago only made sense when you had dedicated players still keeping their skill of the game at the absolute best. Which is why you see mid characters like Gallon winning Savior1 now, or people not thinking Zabel is absolute top in Savior1 anymore: because the competition is less fierce, and the training required to play the more difficult characters is too demanding for game you'd play once in a blue moon.

Thanks for the input. I rather like playing Sasquatch in VS :P

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
New MK 11 stuff looks super good. Seperate meters for offensive/defensive tools. A short hop mechanic as well as a perfect guard mechanic as well. Fatal Blows are available once I think you're below 40% health and remind me of Xrays cept not all show Xray type stuff. Lots of customization. From brutalities to weapon skins and character parts and a lot of their moves. Seems like you can mix and match instead of just one of several loadouts like in 10.

Gonna buy this thing for sure. Digging the new time based fighter and the return of Skarlet.

Also neat but meh Power Rangers fighting game with simple inputs coming for $20 with season pass stuff. Will slum it up just for the Drakkon skins.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
He was bad.

Thanks for the info, I've never played Hunter. I dream of a Darkstalkers 4 with the entire cast in the base roster every night, or at least representation in a future versus title that isn't Morrigan/Felicia/Lei Lei.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
No clue if people are still into Street Fighter X Tekken, but I am, so here's a Youtube channel that streams high level sets from Japan. Lately its been happening on a daily basis. All new matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbZ7An1Fb6M&ab_channel=mugenhazama
Cool! The game was a perfect storm of problems but by the end with all those patches it was a pretty fun game. Too little too late, but that tag system of double heavies to tag combo was great fun to use. Plus a great roster to enjoy. It, SFV, and honestly MVCI are all a testament that you shouldn't rush a product out onto shelves. Potential was there but forcing things before the content was in good enough shape, ideas were fully tested, balanced and ready just resulted in great big messes all around for all those titles.

Thats really been Capcom's downfall lately with fighters. Impatience. They need longer dev times.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God I am so missing Juri's fireballs after seeing this stream of SFxTekken. :(

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Frosty Faustings fun for folks here.
Some folks on the TVC forum helped me find the stream archive for TVC. All in HD glory for once given how much the setup has improved for streaming it and how much ubershaders and such have improved the look of TVC via dolphin.

3hr 2 min mark is Tatsunoko vs Capcom Top 8 and its a stellar bracket this year with a lot of old legends showing up.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/366417920

Also KOF 14 was before it so enjoy.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of timerscam tactics, for those that missed it in the MK11 talk Geras is a new sands of time themed character with a unique tool that looks more than a little busted in pre alpha stuff so far.

GERAS CAN REMOVE TIME FROM THE CLOCK.
Check this current timer scam folks came up with.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of timerscam tactics, for those that missed it in the MK11 talk Geras is a new sands of time themed character with a unique tool that looks more than a little busted in pre alpha stuff so far.

GERAS CAN REMOVE TIME FROM THE CLOCK.
Check this current timer scam folks came up with.

Holy shit 30 seconds. I heard about the time shenanigans but didn't think it could be that crazy

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit 30 seconds. I heard about the time shenanigans but didn't think it could be that crazy
Lol. Yeah no way they keep it in its current state. It had to be just to make a splash with players and make them notice he had this tool as something new. Folks wont forget it now after moments like that i'm certain.