• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Can you explain what you mean by this?
I haven't played DBF, but I thought they functioned the same as MvC2/3. Did you mean Infinite?
Or do you mean the fact MvC characters had 3 assists that you could chose from before the fight allowed for some level of variation (even though most characters had 1 assist that was absurdly better than the other 2)?

Like Sandbox said, it's better for a character to have one assist that was overwhelmingly better than the other two options over just having one assist that's not even good at all. And even in Marvel you have a few characters that had more than one good assist like Dr.Doom.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yeah personal bias aside, perhaps DBFZ is a strong choice for at least starting out (the only bad habit you might build up is how controlling time/space works— it's just not there due to global Vanish/Superdash). Smash Ultimate - you just can't go wrong with that one. You'll build solid fundamentals and the gameplay is solid. The online can definitely be janky. It's probably easy to get people to play locally with you in Smash though. The base roster blows away everything else and the value is just massive.

Edit- DBFZ is weird, just buy it and you'll see. You definitely don't want to be put into a bad position (like the corner). Controlling space is just not how the other fighting games work

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I am not even sure DBFZ is a great choice to hop into right now… The DBFZ community thread only gets hyped when new characters are incoming and then goes back to being dead again.
DBFZ has somethings holding it back from uber greatness:
  • Lack of any sort of ragequit system. Like, all I want is to be awarded my win when the opponent decides to bounce but ASW can't even be bothered to add even this. Something so basic, all non-anime fighters handle to some extent. This is why I have zero hype for future ASW games. I'm planning to skip them unless it's Dragonball
  • Superdash has not been tweaked at all. So unlike every other FG, this game lacks a strong neutral game (footsies). Even pros these days seem to backdash rather than 'jump' forward.
  • Character assists are one dimensional. Unlike BBTAG, Skullgirls, and MvC, character assists are locked in. There is only one assist per character and you cant change it. BBTAG is wayyyy better in this regard
  • The net code is somehow inferior to BBTAG. BBTAG, I can't recall any match not being smooth. I can't ever recall my inputs feeling like it got dropped.

Outside of these gripes, the game is really good. I find it healthy to play this game in short bursts. Like once a week or so. Beyond that, it gets frustrating fast and I find myself needing to take a break to play other FGs.

edit- Honestly, and this coming from a dedicated DBFZ fan, the gameplay is much better in BBTAG. But BBTAG is way less populated.

On the netcode- I think the netcode is very similar in quality to BBtag or Xrd, but BBtag and Xrd seem to play significantly better online. The reason is a ton of DBFZ revolves around reacting to things just within the threshold for normal human reaction times. Universal overheads, vanish, dragon rush, and superdash (the biggest offender) can be reacted to offline semi-reliably, but become very hard to deal with even on a solid connection (2F-3F). If your goal was to design a game to completely fall apart in the smallest amount of lag, you'd probably come up with something like DBFZ.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to guess that DBFZ also has way more people around the world with an average connection worse than the BB/GG player base.

If anything, the larger playerbase should mean DBFZ offers better connections on average. It'd be god awful if it had the Xrd levels of online players.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I've had difficulty finding anyone with a playable connection in Rev2 since last year, but other than having an extremely small pool of players remaining, they seem to be concentrated in the West Coast. Definitely much better luck with DBFZ for me.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
New tweet from battle from the grid confirms Goldar , RangerSlayer, Kat Manx,and Mastodon Sentry in Power Rangers Battle for the Grid baby!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT THE POWER RANGERS GAME LOOKS SUPER FUCKING LEGIT NOW?! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Yipes, Clockwork, Justin Wong all on stream goin super god damned deep on combos, systems, setups, mixups, and running sets and its so fucking Mahvel it hurts.
https://www.twitch.tv/nway_games

And god damn at the alt colors. Red Ranger with Black diamonds and red visor, Green Ranger with silver shield armor and black gloves and boots...my heart cant take all this awesome. And so much shit from the Grid storylines in the comic that has been better than it ever had any cause to be. Broken trophy room stage from Lord Drakkon's palace with snapped red ranger sword and such on display. Playing the flute to summon missiles from the Dragonzord for a super. Some crazy undisclosed thing they select that puts either Goldar, Dragonzord, or Megazord icons up for some reason (undisclosed mechanics? comeback maybe?)

THIS GAME LOOKS SUPER FUCKING GOOD NOW! Even the graphics!

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
HOLY SHIT THE POWER RANGERS GAME LOOKS SUPER FUCKING LEGIT NOW?! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Yipes, Clockwork, Justin Wong all on stream goin super god damned deep on combos, systems, setups, mixups, and running sets and its so fucking Mahvel it hurts.
https://www.twitch.tv/nway_games

And god damn at the alt colors. Red Ranger with Black diamonds and red visor, Green Ranger with silver shield armor and black gloves and boots...my heart cant take all this awesome. And so much shit from the Grid storylines in the comic that has been better than it ever had any cause to be. Broken trophy room stage from Lord Drakkon's palace with snapped red ranger sword and such on display. Playing the flute to summon missiles from the Dragonzord for a super. Some crazy undisclosed thing they select that puts either Goldar, Dragonzord, or Megazord icons up for some reason (undisclosed mechanics? comeback maybe?)

THIS GAME LOOKS SUPER FUCKING GOOD NOW! Even the graphics!

Yo I was getting ready to call you out for some blasphemy trying to compare this to marvel... but then I watched the VOD for like 10 minutes and we may just live in a world where this Power Rangers game is the most legit marvel successor on market. It is a strange world indeed.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I watched the VODs for the Power Ranger stuff. Wasn't really feeling it, tbh. Different strokes and all that.

Hope there is a demo so I can play for myself.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know much about the Power Rangers characters, but so long as I'm given a character that plays like Thor or Haggar, then I'm down. Maybe Goldar will be that.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope we get some White Ranger and Gold Ranger goodness in this game at some point. Its obviously super western targeted so more Saban's than sentai.
My knowledge ends after the early years. I dont know spd or mega force or much anything but the stuff from early years Tommy., but it looks like they had folks like me in mind so yay!

Gotta say those green ranger combos and drakkon combos looked legit . That drop kick into divekick looks so fun plus I dig anyone with a fireball you can run In behind to close gaps. Eager to see what the word stuff is cuz its gott be the comeback option.

God damn I'm still hype for this.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I don't know much about the Power Rangers characters, but so long as I'm given a character that plays like Thor or Haggar, then I'm down. Maybe Goldar will be that.
Goldar is looking to be one of the comeback mechanics in some way. There were two icons on the screen, one for each side. They seemed like comeback mechanics.

Two of the ones we saw were MegaZords, and the third one was Goldar.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kusaregedo would be a great addition if they can manage to do his grotesque design justice in 3D. It's tough to choose honestly since SamSho has so many great characters.

Shin_okita

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Guys! I'm looking into getting into a new fighting game! I got sf 30th anniversary thinking i would manage some online fun, but it serms pretty dead! (EU/UK). I love 3rd strike but it would be cool to get into a new game!! I tried fighterz! It's fun but once you get punished/ or punish it takes a while untill you're back to neutral! Plus the block strings sometimes are looong! Do you guys recommend any other fighting game with an active online playerbase! Sfv seems cool but compared to 3rd strike, feels a bit off! Maybe i havent tried hard enough!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed how Nakoruru defaults to "nice nature princess who hates violence but has to resort to stab people unfortunately".
SS and SSS Nakoruru was RUTHLESS. They shouldn't have spun off that side of ther personality to Purple Nako.

Oct 25, 2017
Kusaregedo would be a great addition if they can manage to do his grotesque design justice in 3D. It's tough to choose honestly since SamSho has so many great characters.

Heh, SamSho wasn't my first fighting game, but it may be my first one on arcades from all I can remember. He missed Shiki in NGP SamSho though!
Going to disagree on Rasetsumaru and Rera, since their moveset is pretty different and unusual.

Also, imagine not liking Kyoshiro. Imagine living that life. SMH

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hey Guys! I'm looking into getting into a new fighting game! I got sf 30th anniversary thinking i would manage some online fun, but it serms pretty dead! (EU/UK). I love 3rd strike but it would be cool to get into a new game!! I tried fighterz! It's fun but once you get punished/ or punish it takes a while untill you're back to neutral! Plus the block strings sometimes are looong! Do you guys recommend any other fighting game with an active online playerbase! Sfv seems cool but compared to 3rd strike, feels a bit off! Maybe i havent tried hard enough!
SC6 and Smash Ultimate feel like they carve out their own unique genre. Dragon FighterZ can be awesome in short bursts but if you encounter someone that is a *lot* better it's time to pull out the popcorn. I just made a gif yesterday of a combo SonicFox did to someone and it went over 25 seconds and posted in the dbfz community thread. That's bout half a minute his poor victim got to spend holding block in vain. So if you play DBFZ, you basically want to always queue for "Same Rank" and/or "Same Color" til you get used to the longer combos and characters dying in 1-3 "touches". Knowing the full range of your normals is important in any FG but even more so in a Versus game that lacks a combo breaker like DBFZ

Man I hope we get some White Ranger and Gold Ranger goodness in this game at some point. Its obviously super western targeted so more Saban's than sentai.
My knowledge ends after the early years. I dont know spd or mega force or much anything but the stuff from early years Tommy., but it looks like they had folks like me in mind so yay!

Gotta say those green ranger combos and drakkon combos looked legit . That drop kick into divekick looks so fun plus I dig anyone with a fireball you can run In behind to close gaps. Eager to see what the word stuff is cuz its gott be the comeback option.

God damn I'm still hype for this.

That game does look pretty good. Esp the cross play support for PC/Switch/Xbox.

Shin_okita

Oct 27, 2017
C6 and Smash Ultimate feel like they carve out their own unique genre. Dragon FighterZ can be awesome in short bursts but if you encounter someone that is a *lot* better it's time to pull out the popcorn. I just made a gif yesterday of a combo SonicFox did to someone and it went over 25 seconds and posted in the dbfz community thread. That's bout half a minute his poor victim got to spend holding block in vain. So if you play DBFZ, you basically want to always queue for "Same Rank" and/or "Same Color" til you get used to the longer combos and characters dying in 1-3 "touches". Knowing the full range of your normals is important in any FG but even more so in a Versus game that lacks a combo breaker like DBFZ

Yeah smash it's quite fun! But i just got a stick, so looking for games in the veins of Sf! That samurai showdown looked fun in the trailers we'll see. I did what you said with dbfz much better experience!! And it didnt took a long time to get a game! I'm wondering hows the playerbase for xrd or blazblue! If its quite easy to get matches as well!!! Might try playing some dbfz players from here might be cool as well

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really dig the look of this (obscure?) fighter:

Heh, SamSho wasn't my first fighting game, but it may be my first one on arcades from all I can remember. He missed Shiki in NGP SamSho though!
Going to disagree on Rasetsumaru and Rera, since their moveset is pretty different and unusual.

Also, imagine not liking Kyoshiro. Imagine living that life. SMH

Too true, they would all make a solid addition to the roster.

Both of Kyoshiro's looks are great, the old one is goofier and the new one is badass.

snk-kyoshiro2.gif

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Power Rangers game looks pretty good!

TMNT needs to step it up, get Netherrealm to work on a full game, not just guest appearances.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah smash it's quite fun! But i just got a stick, so looking for games in the veins of Sf! That samurai showdown looked fun in the trailers we'll see. I did what you said with dbfz much better experience!! And it didnt took a long time to get a game! I'm wondering hows the playerbase for xrd or blazblue! If its quite easy to get matches as well!!! Might try playing some dbfz players from here might be cool as well

Have you heard of UNIST? It's a lot of fun and is on sale at PSN now. Despite the anime aesthetic it's not too crazy.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Kyoshiro's original sprite is indeed goofy, to the point you'd think he's a joke character.
Then you get his redesigned sprite and you realize thi is a kabuki you don't wanna mess with.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
You probably just want to get on Discord for the average anime fighter and ping people for matches. DBFZ has surpassed other anime FGs in that regard.

UNIST discord has a lot of chatter & activity. I wouldnt be surprised if you can get matches for that (what I mean is I would guess matchmaking works). Maybe bbtag on ps4 might see some activity in Casuals but I'm working right now so can't check

I own thse anime FGs but havent been active. I want to take a break from dBFZ and force myself to give this other anime FGs a go

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid event archive is up on youtube now for those that missed it.

Also the character page on the official site updated. Confirms Magna Defender, Kat Manx, Mastodon Sentry, Ranger Slayer AND GOLDAR are all playable cast. Guess that means Goldar is both playable and related to that comeback thing with the zords that hasn't been shown.
https://battleforthegrid.com/pages/characters

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not a full price game, but boy does that game have too few characters for a team fighter. This is one of those things that hurt Skullgirls.

Oct 26, 2017
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid event archive is up on youtube now for those that missed it.
Also the character page on the official site updated. Confirms Magna Defender, Kat Manx, Mastodon Sentry, Ranger Slayer AND GOLDAR are all playable cast. Guess that means Goldar is both playable and related to that comeback thing with the zords that hasn't been shown.
https://battleforthegrid.com/pages/characters

I'm gonna laugh if Kat Manx is a grappler, because she's from Power Rangers: SPD.

I'm going to guess that the comeback thing with the Zords and Goldar is something like MvCI's Infinity Stone system. Something you activate that gives you specific buffs.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna laugh if Kat Manx is a grappler, because she's from Power Rangers: SPD.

I'm going to guess that the comeback thing with the Zords and Goldar is something like MvCI's Infinity Stone system. Something you activate that gives you specific buffs.
I'm betting it involves cinematic fighting as giants. Maybe like the Injustice wager where one hits it and you can let em get it or activate your own zord and fight it out as giants somehow to try to block their comeback thingy. No.clue if itd be a wager or just damage move that's unblockable and causes a knockdown or stun or what but I'd more than bet its gonna be giants in a city fighting if it shows both zord and goldar as options.

Shin_okita

Oct 27, 2017
You probably just want to get on Discord for the average anime fighter and ping people for matches. DBFZ has surpassed other anime FGs in that regard.

UNIST discord has a lot of chatter & activity. I wouldnt be surprised if you can get matches for that (what I mean is I would guess matchmaking works). Maybe bbtag on ps4 might see some activity in Casuals but I'm working right now so can't check

I own thse anime FGs but havent been active. I want to take a break from dBFZ and force myself to give this other anime FGs a go

Thanks for this!! I'm
Getting blazblue/unist and checking if it's a morr balanced experience than fighterz!! I'm
Doing ok on fighterz atm but it all seems the game runs around trapping your opponent on loops! Even though inwould hate to pick this team it seems like cell/ vegeta is way too good for setting a loop! Maybe i'm wrong but can't shake the feeling the better the loop, less defensemoptions you have!! I'm Taking a break of fighterz i think i'll see if I can find other games! Plus sfv its def a no for me! Decided to try again for ibuki! Came out empty handed they striped all her moves to fit the game : /! My hope its on blazblue atm!