• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like the dude replying to the GoW dev is using "systemic game" as shorthand for something else, considering the examples he mentions.

On top of that I'm not quite sure what those three games have in common in regards to what he's describing.

DMC5 is the most Fighting game type game of the three for obvious reasons but GOW and Sekiro don't really adopt that mentality.

Oct 25, 2017
On top of that I'm not quite sure what those three games have in common in regards to what he's describing.

DMC5 is the most Fighting game type game of the three for obvious reasons but GOW and Sekiro don't really adopt that mentality.
I used his tweet more because of the last statement about 3D/high budget games tbh (makes sense to me in a way), but I think his point there is that those games have a focus on gameplay and mechanics interactions that remind him of the freedom/mechanics of fighting games, unlike other big titles that are, I dunno, more narrow, in that sense?

I haven't played GOW for instance, but there are combo videos and weird tech regarding the shield and throw axe mechanics that kinda fit on what is being mentioned, while I never saw anything similar for the Assassin's Creed titles.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I used his tweet more because of the last statement about 3D/high budget games tbh (makes sense to me in a way), but I think his point there is that those games have a focus on gameplay and mechanics interactions that remind him of the freedom/mechanics of fighting games, unlike other big titles that are, I dunno, more narrow, in that sense?

I haven't played GOW for instance, but there are combo videos and weird tech regarding the shield and throw axe mechanics that kinda fit on what is being mentioned, while I never saw anything similar for the Assassin's Creed titles.

Ah gotcha

Oct 25, 2017

1678.jpg

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the last Steam Sales of the Heisei era, I'm looking at some fighting games I would never have considered full price.
Question: anyone knows how the Umineko fighting game is, considered strictly as a fighting game?

There's quite a few things at good prices, like Arcana Heart Six Stars, Uni[st]... Some DLC are also on the cheaper side, notably to complete BBTAG before the new batch of characters arrive. FLEX is unfortunately not discounted.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think Melty is the most updated version of a game with the best discount (as always).

Infinite World? Isn't that Budokai?

I don't like Melty steam port, for some reason it doesn't recognize my xinput controller, and also I discovered that the hardcore players still use the doujinshi version with the third party client to play online

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking wild, indeed I never heard about it.
Representing the last title for the PlayStation 2, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World combines the best elements from the previous Budokai and Shin-Budokai series, as well as the recently released and much-admired next-gen Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, to deliver the definitive DBZ experience on PlayStation 2. But no Dragon Ball Z game would be complete without its fair share of spectacular battles. Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World uses a simplified battle system taken from the recently released next-gen Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit for thrilling hand-to-hand fighting on the ground, or flying leaps and aerial combat in the skies. In addition, new ideas have been added to the battle system. Defeat your opponent by blasting damaging Ki attacks from the sky or by diving into him and launching an explosive smash attack. The game features over 40 unique characters, not counting the different forms that each character can transform into which multiplies the playing potential. On top of characters, fighting techniques and battle stages, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World also includes selected drama scenes from the previous games all presented using beautifully refined effects and shading techniques.

Not sure if using a next gen game as advertising/features for your late game is weirder than the DB live action fighting game being a PSP exclusive though :thinking:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Melty steam port, for some reason it doesn't recognize my xinput controller, and also I discovered that the hardcore players still use the doujinshi version with the third party client to play online

BEcause the third party client is a lot better than the official netcode (which I think is Arcsys standard but not 100% sure on that)

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Evo ranking update

Sad about SC being so low. Samsho so high is crazy but pretty cool even if I think many are signing up for it as their 2nd/3rd game. Really expected MK to be higher. I wonder if the tournament variation stuff is hurting people's interest a bit

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did SC6 and SamSho.

Going to suck not being able to play SamSho until EVO (I'm PC only now)

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Which of those games do you have the most confidence in?

I'm just joking man, lol.

But on the reals, not going 0-2 is the goal. It was has happened before and shall happen again though.

I think I will do the best at SFV. I've stopped practicing T7, as MK11 is taking all my non SFV time now. I might get sick of MK11 soon. Or not. We shall see.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just joking man, lol.

But on the reals, not going 0-2 is the goal. It was has happened before and shall happen again though.

I think I will do the best at SFV. I've stopped practicing T7, as MK11 is taking all my non SFV time now. I might get sick of MK11 soon. Or not. We shall see.
Tekken and SFV got time on them and alot of people entering
Watch as you perform best in SamSho

Also

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it myself, but gist I got from other people was that it's got really clever and detailed adaptations of the characters into FG movesets, but isn't fun to play competitively because it's got low damage and extremely long combos.
I've played this and this is pretty accurate. There's some pretty wacky loops and damage scales pretty hard for long combos. Doesn't help that guard cancels and bursts are pretty plentiful thanks to them being tied to meter and partner availability instead of round-limited resources.

It does some pretty interesting things as a 2v2 team game though. Rather than individual characters having health, the whole team shares a health bar that is based on the vitality of the characters used. There's no assist mechanic, but you can quickly swap point characters mid-combo / blockstring. Individual characters on a team have their own super meters, and the point character builds meter for the reserve character. In addition to moveset and mobility considerations, each character provides unique passive buffs to the team, like defense up, health regen, guard meter damage up,locking out the opponent's partner, etc.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh god, I thought I could use the D-pad but I didn't account for how awkward it is to jump by trying to press upper right diagonal... That's it I'm using a stick.

If you are equally interested and able go get both, I say to go for the one with characters you are more interested in.

In the end I went with Under Night because I want to learn the game before EVO so I can follow the matches. This would be my first EVO that I follow live.

(But man, GGXrd is so much prettier lol)

Oct 25, 2017
It really is lol
Though I would argue that the character design (from a visual language standpoint, not an aesthetic/art standpoint) in UNI is better than in Xrd. ASW really dropped the ball coming from X2 to Xrd.

Hope you enjoy it, UNI is is a really well thought game!

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I've been playing it for a few days and it really is.
My only contact with the game until now has been via BBTag, and unsurprisingly, the originals are so much better than the quick copy and paste. Makes me worried for Arcana Heart characters...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It really is lol
Though I would argue that the character design (from a visual language standpoint, not an aesthetic/art standpoint) in UNI is better than in Xrd. ASW really dropped the ball coming from X2 to Xrd.

I'm taking my time getting used to the inputs.

I had some fighting game experience from playing (more like stumbling around) GGX2 a million years ago, but the input time frame for linking attacks in UNIST seems a lot more tighter than I thought. The combo comes out but I still failed what the tutorial ask of me.

(This is the beginner's tutorial)

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I'm taking my time getting used to the inputs.

I had some fighting game experience from playing (more like stumbling around) GGX2 a million years ago, but the input time frame for linking attacks in UNIST seems a lot more tighter than I thought. The combo comes out but I still failed what the tutorial ask of me.

I think you made a good choice! I've been grinding out UNIST since January now and I'm convinced this is the best 2D fighter on the market. Don't worry about being perfect, take your time and learn at your own pace. There will always be something to improve upon, so take it one step at a time. UNIST is a chain game, so you should be able to enter them in quick succession for the most part, until you get to combos where they ask you to delay stuff, which is usually jumping moves.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combo comes out but I still failed what the tutorial ask of me.

Could it be the moves where you need to hold the button? I remember a simple combo with Wagner that never registered even though I did what was required, until I understood they wanted me to hold the button for a second after the quarter circle to make a stronger version of the charge.