• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
wait. you didn't like reload???
I said that was the last one I did like (I didn't like the XX games that came after it). Part of why I liked the Xrd games was because they used #R as their base.
It's Justin Wong and CvS2, MvC2 and SFxT are all games where playing lame is S-tier. Those seems like honest picks, dude love this style of gameplay. And outside the games he mained/played extensively, J Wong always had a horrible taste, just check any of his anime/waifu/wrestling lists or preferences. ;p
Hm, guess I hadn't really looked at lame play as being as viable in CvS2 or SFxT (thought roll cancels, Blanka, and ShoShoSho above all else with CvS2, ignored post-patch SFxT), MvC2 it goes without saying though. Certainly makes sense why he'd hate DBFZ though, not much room for laming in a game with next to no neutral game.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it a bit more, I don't believe that Team Gorby and the over half a year patch wait alone killed BBTAG. Cross combos in general being as unga as they are likely did plenty to burn people out on it, though of course certain combinations are still worse to fight than others.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
MK11, SamSho and Power Rangers as the fighting games roster for Stadia
Niiiiiiiiiice.
The thing that has me curious is they say it works best with a stadia controller but can use any compatible controller. I need to know more there. I have sticks I'd like to test this on. I'll start with base and try something with it since I give no fucks bout destiny 2 freebies. If it holds up well I'll build up slowly on it.

Tech-Hit

Jun 7, 2019
It sucks that because PSP is not really a tournament-accessible system, some great fighting game versions like Alpha 3 MAX and Vampire Chronicle are not tournament standard.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just wish the scene would evolve already on the hardware side. Years ago folks didn't rock sound canceling headphones to help focus during tournies. They sat there with a crowded room getting shat on by the crowd. Now they all rock headphones for focus for the most part and no one cares. Folks got fight sticks because they allowed for faster inputs and dash options not really performable without a ton of effort on most pad styles and they had cleaner directional inputs than many dpads because not all had microswitch goodness. Now folks are finding all buttons is fine. If the dude had showed up rocking a keyboard I wonder if they'd have gotten mad? Folks have used that for ages too. Hell I learned to play via emulator in 2000 Last blade on keyboard which meant I used it with directions input with my right hand and attacks on my left!

I think the whole allowing some DP and tools to work more aggressively than on other tools is fine. No one is unable to buy or make one themselves. Literally just put buttons on you stick with a brook board and wire to the directional pins instead of using the port thats plug and play for sticks to be installed.

This is just another case of folks yelling nerf when they should be yelling evolve IMO. Hitboxes are fine. Only thing that was an initial issue was actually coded out on the official hitbox boards nearly a decade ago when they initially allowed for simultaneous left/right inputs to negate crossups by hitting both to block, and as Skullgirls pointed out it should be on the devs of a game to code bettr for that shit anyhow but whatever the stick boards do it for you now anyhow.

Free the hitboxes.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017

1455457745813.png

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Hitboxes are fine. As long as your can't have 2 directions held at the same time.

I love all the different control methods.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Is there precedent for emulator tournaments?
I wish. I got several picade and pandoras box products. Ones a 2 player plug n play and its got XMEN COTA and every Darkstalkers arcade thing on it plus good ol Twinkle Star Sprites and a shitload of vs puzzlers. I'd absolutely enjoy bringing it to some tournaments and setting up a small retro tourney for whatever things had enough players down to compete.

Really shocking how good pandoras box and Pi stuff have come. Emulators these days can match or even outperform original hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish. I got several picade and pandoras box products. Ones a 2 player plug n play and its got XMEN COTA and every Darkstalkers arcade thing on it plus good ol Twinkle Star Sprites and a shitload of vs puzzlers. I'd absolutely enjoy bringing it to some tournaments and setting up a small retro tourney for whatever things had enough players down to compete.

Really shocking how good pandoras box and Pi stuff have come. Emulators these days can match or even outperform original hardware.
Emulating arcade games is always a complicated thing in terms of accuracy, but as far as I am aware, the PSP games run perfectly well. I can see companies not being happy at tournaments "promoting" emulation though.

Tech-Hit

Jun 7, 2019

I know people at locals and tourneys use FB Alpha a lot, so I wouldn't say COTA and the CPS2 Capcom fighters are rare.

Emulating arcade games is always a complicated thing in terms of accuracy, but as far as I am aware, the PSP games run perfectly well. I can see companies not being happy at tournaments "promoting" emulation though.
Well, most PSP games that are ports of arcade games don't mix well with emulators due to "an emulator within an emulator" so most require software rendering, which means you have to have a pretty powerful machine to hit 60fps.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in Crystal Crisis since its been showing up at WNF and at a few tournies and getting some great stream time from some fighting game folk I made an OT for it. If you liked Puzzle Fighter you'll be in for a treat. The bursts in this game are insane so some of the super moves are all over the place. Just remember if you have a top notch Burst check the drop pattern for the trash on that character. Many top bursts have patterns that drop huge clusters of the same color which means they often beg retaliation from the opponent the moment the timers on the trash reach zero. At first I thought Astroboy was garbage tier because he has weak bursts till i noticed he had a complete scatter on his drop pattern making him able to be aggro without the need for combos. Course...its hard to pass up a character who can swap grids at full meter.

Enjoy the thread if you wanna read up on all the bursts and patterns. I highly recommend it for vs puzzle fun. Deserves some serious Esports exposure IMO.

Crystal Crisis |OT| Puzzle Fighter Too

Last edited:

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
SNK need to port the Tales of Ash Saga games to PS4 already, i especially want to to play KoF XI ; ; ... my only option is pcsx2 and i hate it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
SNK need to port the Tales of Ash Saga games to PS4 already, i especially want to to play KoF XI ; ; ... my only option is pcsx2 and i hate it.
On hong kong PSN for the PS3 you can get KOF 11. Its in english still. I got it and I think the address I used is a tea shop or something on that account. Seriously. Log out of playstation store. Do a search and you'll find it. It doesn't take too long to fumble through and setup an account for that region. Their are guides online for it. Its pretty nice having KOF 11 on that console honestly. Got most of the KOF series there now. Just remember though if you use stick any ps2 ported SNK fighters got that shitty thing where you need L3 and R3 as well as touchpad button options because those are the very first things your gonna run into. You gotta hit one of those at the "press start" screen for some reason or you can't get into the game. No problem if you're a pad warrior but it meant I had to design more buttons on my gear eventually.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Rimururu trailer out for Samurai Showdown now. Enjoy some ice powers folks. She looks like she's got some unique tools.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's Rimu. She looks good. Wonder how she'll turn out, along with her sister... Short range characters have rarely been great in this series.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dunno about you chaps but I'd settle for a Mahvel collection announced during E3.

60+ mins. of Vampire Hunter/Darkstalkters' Revenge

1 Hour of Capcom vs. SNK 2

1 Hour of King of Fighters 2002 UM

King of Fighters '98 matches

Garou MotW Matches

1 Hour of Melty Blood

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good feels that it's in the works after that MSH/COTA/Punisher 1up cab. Come back to us MvC2.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
It sucks that because PSP is not really a tournament-accessible system, some great fighting game versions like Alpha 3 MAX and Vampire Chronicle are not tournament standard.

I remember really enjoying Alpha 3 Max even with the bad PSP-1001 d-pad and useless square button. Shame it never got a home console conversion.

Can you remind me how Vampire Chronicle differs from the PS2 Vampire Collection or Saturn VSAV with the complete blended Savior 1 and 2 character rosters? There was a weird Donovan/Dmitri headswap character, right?

Tech-Hit

Jun 7, 2019
Can you remind me how Vampire Chronicle differs from the PS2 Vampire Collection or Saturn VSAV with the complete blended Savior 1 and 2 character rosters? There was a weird Donovan/Dmitri headswap character, right?
The Donovan Demitri headswap is Dee and he is only in the Secret Versions of Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Savior 2 inside Vampire Collection for PS2.

Vampire Chronicle is basically an Edition Select game, kind of like USF4, where you can choose between Vampire, Hunter, Savior and Savior 2 versions of every character. There's all the characters from Vampire Savior 2 + Aulbath, Gallon and Sasquatch.
The game is based on Vampire Savior 2 and picking different editions of the characters changes their moves and some of their abilities, for example, characters in Vampire and Hunter mode won't have Pushblock, but they will have air-unblockable DPs (which is kinda weird since DPs were not air unblockable in Hunter).
The game is built around Vampire Savior 2 and one thing that people give this game shit for is that some nerfs to the movement from this version are not reverted when you pick the Savior version, dash attacks stay nerfed and you still can't do jump chains. Another reason people give this game shit for is that it kept the changes from the latest versions of each game, which sucks for the Vampire versions of characters since the latest version of that game was not tournament standard. The cr.HP crab claw overhead from Vampire Aulbath doesn't hit overhead, for example.
There's some cool stuff in the Edition Select though, for example, Felicia has her old animations from Vampire and Hunter if you pick these versions, and the BGM for characters is the version from their respective games.
The PSP Version of Chronicle, Chaos Tower, has some bug fixes. They fixed Aulbath's Psycho Crusher hitting high from the Dreamcast version, for one. It also has a Tower mode that puts you in an endless amount of fights, each with a special quirk (no punches, no special moves, increased damage, for example). Every dozen of fights, there is a boss fight, which will unlock an illustration in the art gallery.
One thing I miss from the Dreamcast Version is being able to change the intro of the game, and one thing I like from the PSP version is the training mode which has Record and Playback functions. Also, being someone that's against dash and mash shenanigans, I like the nerfs to dashes and am glad they are universal. One thing from Vampire Collection I wish was in Chronicle is Command Lists for the characters.