• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm in the mood to try a fighting game, but as I'm not following the news closely, are any of those games 'done' and without a future ?
Tekken 7
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Soul Calibur VI
King of Fighters XIV
Street Fighter V
Cross Tag Battle
Fantasy Strike
Dead or Alive 6

Not big on fighters so that's probably not an issue but I would prefer to play something still relevant.
Any big popular games here ?

On a related topic, what are the 2019-2020 games announced ? I can only remember Granblue and just read that there is a new KOF.

No MK11?

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
So far, I've resisted playing DBFZ but watching Evo Top 32 is making me change my mind. I'm not playing any fighters at the moment so I'm getting that itch but I also hate jumping into a game this late. Is the game still worth purchasing and do you think it will be a main game for next year's Evo? Which version is worth grabbing?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So far, I've resisted playing DBFZ but watching Evo Top 32 is making me change my mind. I'm not playing any fighters at the moment so I'm getting that itch but I also hate jumping into a game this late. Is the game still worth purchasing and do you think it will be a main game for next year's Evo? Which version is worth grabbing?

I suck at fighting games, only game I intend to really play online is tekken 7. But I wil get a few for SP. DBZ might be one of them

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding grievances to be had in Dragon Ball FighterZ, but single-player content is not one of them. It actually has one of the stronger single-player components in the genre, even if it's dragging somewhat.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm in the mood to try a fighting game, but as I'm not following the news closely, are any of those games 'done' and without a future ?
Tekken 7
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Soul Calibur VI
King of Fighters XIV
Street Fighter V
Cross Tag Battle
Fantasy Strike
Dead or Alive 6

Not big on fighters so that's probably not an issue but I would prefer to play something still relevant.

On a related topic, what are the 2019-2020 games announced ? I can only remember Granblue and just read that there is a new KOF.
T7 and SFV are the healthiest out of that list, even with Capcom's scatterbrained "new way of doing things" for this season and making Fight Money even more irrelevant. DBFZ has been waning with a weak S2 pass and gameplay balance/mechanics that have grown rather stale. SCVI is active on PS4, but Bamco treat the game like a redheaded stepchild and didn't even bother with a trailer for the final DLC character in the season pass during the game's top 8 at Evo (Sony had to leak said character when updating the season pass info on the PS Store). KoF XIV is largely dead online and XV is scheduled for next year. BBTAG still has people playing it on PS4, but it has no future beyond this Evo thanks to Arc going radio silent for sixth months and then taking another four after that to update the home versions because they wanted to prioritize the Japan-only arcade release. DoA6 is a half-baked, lazy excuse for a game with plenty of recycled assets from 5: Last Round and somehow managed to downgrade its visuals in many ways, coming across more as a weird non-expansion for 5:LR with uninspired DLC (that can't be bought individually for anyone minus the KoF guest characters on NA/EU PS4, the largest userbase) than an actual sequel; this one hurt, because I loved DoA5:LR and was really looking forward to it after getting to play it at Evo last year.

Don't know anything about Fantasy Strike.

SFV, SCVI, and T7 would be the best choices out of that list I'd say. Going by the beta, Granblue Fantasy Versus should be a great choice when it launches next year, and the newest version of Under Night In-Birth will also be out next year.
I'm finding grievances to be had in Dragon Ball FighterZ, but single-player content is not one of them. It actually has one of the stronger single-player components in the genre, even if it's dragging somewhat.
Disagreed, I felt that DBFZ's single-player content was awful. Story mode couldn't have been more of a chore, and its arcade mode is filled with garbage input-reading AI opponents.

Of course, I'd personally say that single-player content is weak in all current fighters except for SCVI.

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
So huh, just been linked an Unlisted trailer for Crosstag 2.0. which add 4 new characters (with 4 yet to be unveiled) it's thread worthy but...i'd probably botch it and i'm not sure if I should even make one?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So huh, just been linked an Unlisted trailer for Crosstag 2.0. which add 4 new characters (with 4 yet to be unveiled) it's thread worthy but...i'd probably botch it and i'm not sure if I should even make one?
Your call. Top 8 for BBTAG starts in less than six hours, so it'll be shown soon enough either way.

EDIT: I'm late, I see it over there now minus the since pulled trailer. November 21st? Feeling optimistic for some reason, aren't you Arc?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Your call. Top 8 for BBTAG starts in less than six hours, so it'll be shown soon enough either way.

EDIT: I'm late, I see it over there now minus the since pulled trailer. November 21st? Feeling optimistic for some reason, aren't you Arc?
I just wanna hear the crowd reaction to Blitztank, haha.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people will cheer the fact that you can play a tank, but only like 50 people will actually know the character and game that Blitztank comes from.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 7
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Soul Calibur VI
King of Fighters XIV
Street Fighter V
Cross Tag Battle
Fantasy Strike
Dead or Alive 6

KOFXV comes out next year, so KOFXIV isn't going to last too much longer.
Fantasy Strike isn't doing well even with crossplay.

Everything else should have a scene. Soul Calibur players will stick with the game even if Namco doesn't.

I would avoid buying UNIST- because the next UNIST will be a standalone game. Not a knock on the series, it's not dead at all, but will be a new disc. (If you're PC they usually give a discount for owning the older game)

The most important thing is what do you want in a fighting game, and how much are you willing to struggle with execution?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, it's too late for that. D:

Just caught that too, but it seems they took the trailer down pretty quick and we at least already knew that Blitztank was in that datamine list

But out of all characters, the fact that they picked that one is giving me some newfound respect for BBCTB lol

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught that too, but it seems they took the trailer down pretty quick and we at least already knew that Blitztank was in that datamine list

But out of all characters, the fact that they picked that one is giving me some newfound respect for BBCTB lol
Honestly, considering who's in the roster I think Blitztank is a perfect fit for BBTAG. Even if he's most likely in for his meme status. I wonder how many people will be exposed to Akatsuki Blitzkampf following the release of 2.0. For a lot of people Akatsuki is just some character in UNIEL.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
As of today I own 4 more fighting games, haha.
Power Rangers (Swtich), FighterZ (PC), SC:V (PC), KOF XIV (PC).

I only play fighting games casually and I am already having a blast with the Power Rangers story and arcade modes, that is one fine little game.
From all the above, which one is the most technical one? I am guessing KOF?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

I only play fighting games casually and I am already having a blast with the Power Rangers story and arcade modes, that is one fine little game.
You guess correctly sir lol. It is however one of the most wonderful series ever. Enormous amounts of characters for the series and every game is a gem.

Definitely read up on the button hold trick and input shortcuts though otherwise you'll fumble fuck forever like I did with those long inputs thinking that's truly how folks entered moves.

Word of advice. In kof if a long move input begins or ends in a motion another move requires its telling you to either precede or follow that move with the one that has part of its input motions because you can buffer one moves inputs with another. It's like a clue hidden in the input notation on where you combo link options lay.

Best look in the kof 14 thread for this topic. We went over it really well and it helps.
Also congrats on discovering how amazing power rangers is. Game is incredible.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Haven't played KOF14 specifically but judging by the series as a whole, probably lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I would just like to ask if this is the general thread for fighting game players?

Because I'm looking at getting back into Tekken 7 which I haven't played since around launch, but I need help and assistance learning the basics of it, and combos for my main Josie Rizal who I mained back then as well. I'll buy the Season 2 pass for my game today as it's on sale, but I already know I want to stick to my Josie.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I would just like to ask if this is the general thread for fighting game players?

Because I'm looking at getting back into Tekken 7 which I haven't played since around launch, but I need help and assistance learning the basics of it, and combos for my main Josie Rizal who I mained back then as well. I'll buy the Season 2 pass for my game today as it's on sale, but I already know I want to stick to my Josie.

Tekken thread is over here:

Josie Rizal video guide is here:

Quick reference mini guide for season 1 Josie is here:

If you're still keen after all that then you can catch up on her changes in season 2 here:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You guess correctly sir lol. It is however one of the most wonderful series ever. Enormous amounts of characters for the series and every game is a gem.

Definitely read up on the button hold trick and input shortcuts though otherwise you'll fumble fuck forever like I did with those long inputs thinking that's truly how folks entered moves.

Word of advice. In kof if a long move input begins or ends in a motion another move requires its telling you to either precede or follow that move with the one that has part of its input motions because you can buffer one moves inputs with another. It's like a clue hidden in the input notation on where you combo link options lay.

Best look in the kof 14 thread for this topic. We went over it really well and it helps.
Also congrats on discovering how amazing power rangers is. Game is incredible.
Haven't played KOF14 specifically but judging by the series as a whole, probably lol

Thanks a lot. I will save it for last, need to come back to the FG groove a bit first.

edit:
Is there, somewhere on the internet, an explanation of the most commong fighting game franchises?
Like how complex are the sytems and how do they play - what inputs are needed, friendly to beginners etc. etc.

For example Guilty Gear always looks so neat but I have no idea how to play it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know what? I haven't played Tekken in years. Not since 4 really.

However now that I know I can play as Hellpockets in his future IpMan glory I will pick this up.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm excited for Evo Japan 2020. Already planning my trip around it.

I feel like they stole my idea, lol. I always thought they should do it at Makuhari Messe in Chiba. To get out of Tokyo proper, but still close enough to it (relativity, maybe still an hour on the train). To keep the cost down. Chiba is still a big city. Close to the water and parks, Aeon mall, 2 arcades.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot. I will save it for last, need to come back to the FG groove a bit first.

edit:
Is there, somewhere on the internet, an explanation of the most commong fighting game franchises?
Like how complex are the sytems and how do they play - what inputs are needed, friendly to beginners etc. etc.

For example Guilty Gear always looks so neat but I have no idea how to play it.
You won't really find something centralized that has all games, but each game has its resources explaining what you want.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know what? I haven't played Tekken in years. Not since 4 really.

However now that I know I can play as Hellpockets in his future IpMan glory I will pick this up.

Tekken 4 is considered by Namco to be kind of a knee-jerk mistake (especially since they took out Korean Backdashing in Tekken 4 which is THE signature Tekken mechanic), Tekken 7 plays absolutely nothing like T4 haha

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 4 is considered by Namco to be kind of a knee-jerk mistake (especially since they took out Korean Backdashing in Tekken 4 which is THE signature Tekken mechanic), Tekken 7 plays absolutely nothing like T4 haha
Why do you think I stopped at 4? Most i did after that was poke 6 for a day I think to see who Lars was and enjoy a brief moment with Dragunov.
I did enjoy me some Steve Fox back on 4 though. I used to play Lei Wulong or Eddy because I'll main anyone with Drunken Boxing or Capoeira but something about Steve's dodges and power were fun for me. No surprise I loved Godhand later. Something bout point blank pressure and point blank dodges I find awesome.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Drink in the greatness that is K'. God I love his corner carry. Dis my boy.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Whoops wrong thread. But ya know what? Fuck it. K' is awesome. Glad I posted in the wrong window.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Okay from the games I bought a day ago KOFIV is the most interesting to me. It seems execution is key and that's the part I am the worst in. I own a fighting stick but quick inputs for combos and cancels and whatnot are beyond my skill. For example I can't to the super cancel tutorial lesson.

Gonna grab a character with strong normals (Hello Terry?) and start from there. I think the jumping and normal game is pretty strong in KOF?
My casual brain always make me go special move, special move, special move :D This game will teach me the fundamentals better I feel like.

edit: forgot your hints for hold and shortcut tips shaowebb. I guess that will help me :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Okay from the games I bought a day ago KOFIV is the most interesting to me. It seems execution is key and that's the part I am the worst in. I own a fighting stick but quick inputs for combos and cancels and whatnot are beyond my skill. For example I can't to the super cancel tutorial lesson.

Gonna grab a character with strong normals (Hello Terry?) and start from there. I think the jumping and normal game is pretty strong in KOF?
My casual brain always make me go special move, special move, special move :D This game will teach me the fundamentals better I feel like.

edit: forgot your hints for hold and shortcut tips shaowebb. I guess that will help me :)
Yeah, KOF is a bit tighter than most modern games in execution, gotta do it fast and clean, but it's nothing absurd :)

The trick with super cancels and whatanot is that you can use the previous input for the next move. So, in the super cancel tutorial, game asks you to do:
forward, down, down+forward (aka a Dragon Punch motion) into down, down+forward, forward twice (aka double quarter circle forward)

Look at the motions broke down like that and see that the DP motion already "has" a quarter circle in it. So all you actually have to do is DP > quarter circle. Hit the punch for the quarter circle while the DP attack is making contact with the opponent and boom.

Also, KOF has those super motions that are quarter circle then a half circle, like Kyo's qcb, hcf+LP+HP. You can just do a pair of quarter circles instead - qcb, qcf+LP+HP in this case.