• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

SKD discussing two different styles of dynamics a fighting game can take, that he names "establishment" (Granblue VS, Blazblue CF) and "application" (Blazblue Tag, Dragonball).

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring

SKD discussing two different styles of dynamics a fighting game can take, that he names "establishment" (Granblue VS, Blazblue CF) and "application" (Blazblue Tag, Dragonball).

that's a p nice video. not the clearest, but pretty articulate at getting the point across. and gives me interesting things to think about my playstyle in FS and where it is and isn't working in that game, and where those habits fit and don't fit (mostly don't fit) in UNIST for example. also somehow manages to get me even more hype for GBFVS (please let it be on pc day one).

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
lol that snake thing was still messed up
can't believe it went down like that
now if he is the guest of season 3....

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I bought Blazblue on sale. I really want that tag battle. $50 for deluxe, idk if I want to jump on that price...

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, so I grew up playing a lot of fighting games, right into the PS2 era.

But these days, having no one in real life to play with sucks. Still, i try to compensate it with online playing.

I main my Switch, and I already have DBFZ, Arms, SSBU, Fantasy Strike and Xenoverse 2.

DBFZ is kinda brutal
Xenoverse 2 versus is not really my thing
Fantasy Strike although fun has a bug that makes online play full with stuttering (dev says a fix is coming...someday)
Arms and SSBU are mad fun, but i'm looking for something more traditional

From what I've seen the other worthy fighting games on the Switch are Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 11, Blazblue, Guilty Gear and (surprisingly) Power Rangers.

There are two versions of both Blazblue and GG, but I don't know which is more current and best.

Is Power Rangers THAT enjoyable? Ins't the online dead? The same question kinda applies to the rest of the games...!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

But these days, having no one in real life to play with sucks. Still, i try to compensate it with online playing.

I main my Switch, and I already have DBFZ, Arms, SSBU, Fantasy Strike and Xenoverse 2.

DBFZ is kinda brutal
Fantasy Strike although fun has a bug that makes online play full with stuttering (dev says a fix is coming...someday)

From what I've seen the other worthy fighting games on the Switch are Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 11, Blazblue, Guilty Gear and (surprisingly) Power Rangers.

There are two versions of both Blazblue and GG, but I don't know which is more current and best.

Is Power Rangers THAT enjoyable? Ins't the online dead? The same question kinda applies to the rest of the games...!
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid is indeed fucking amazing.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

DBFZ is kinda brutal

The versions of Blazblue on Switch are Central Fiction, the most recent and final chapter in the Blazblue storyline, and Cross Tag Battle, which is a spinoff tag fighting game featuring BB, UNIST, P4A, RWBY, Arcana Heart, and soon to be Senran Kagura and Akatsuki Blitzkampf characters.

If you want a normal anime fighter, get Central Fiction, if you want a tag fighter, get Cross Tag. Central Fiction is finished in terms of post launch support, while Cross Tag just recently announced a 2.0 version coming this November.

The Guilty Gear games on switch are both PS1 ports, but only Accent Core +R has online functionality, so get that one.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really?! What makes it so good?
Multiple things. For one it's got fighting game legends in on its game design and balance. Clockwork, justin wong ....hell the first stream had yipes and a few others show up too.
The story mode is based on the comic book which won awards and is so popular it essentially pushed a huge resurgence in the og crew popularity lately.
It also is made by a company with a huge roster mobile game based on power rangers. That means many rough models and assets are available to polish up for this and as such has resulted in rapid fire roster additions since launch only a few months ago.
Also the amount of continuous support from devs is great. They've beefed graphics, added voices, added hit sparks like on the shows, addressed infinites all super fast and they are very responsive to the public.

Main thing is gameplay. You got 3 attack buttons for light medium or heavy and one button for specials. Special Inputs are like smash bros....just push a direction. Each attack butto. Can be mashed on hit for auto combos to have nice easy hit confirm options in flurry situations but unlike dbfz these auto combos are far from optimal.
Plus since you have otg, ex moves, jump cancels, special cancels, and assists you have tons of options for combos/mixups/pressure.

It's like a sandbox for creativity for the players and largely the dev let's cool shit rock instead of overly restricting good tools. Whole rosters play style is super varied as well and the zord mechanic means once you are outta assists you can use the zord for a short period like an assist to do attacks so you never end up completely removed from options in a pinch.

Entire game is just well made entertainment and feels easy to learn and super deep.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
which games have the best netcode right now?
SFV's can be a hit or miss situation but when it hits, it's really pleasant.

Killer Instinct, Injustice 2 and MK11 of course have VERY good netcode.

Tekken's is great on PC if you have players near you but 4 or 5 bar connections are the only playable ones. Less than that, it's just a game of "who pressed buttons first" cause you're not gonna be able to react to most things. I personally wouldn't count it in the "great netcode" category.

BBxTag has surprisingly good netcode actually, just make sure to let the intros play out as the game is still synchronizing when that's going on.

There are other games too with great netcode but sadly some of them are not played all that much anymore.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys get back into a fighting game after a loooong break? I'm trying to play BBTAG again and I've pretty much forgotten everything. I hate looking up combo videos because they tend to be more flashy than practical but at the same time, I'm useless without them. The same thing keeps me away from Tekken and to a lesser extent SCVI.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys get back into a fighting game after a loooong break? I'm trying to play BBTAG again and I've pretty much forgotten everything. I hate looking up combo videos because they tend to be more flashy than practical but at the same time, I'm useless without them. The same thing keeps me away from Tekken and to a lesser extent SCVI.
I focus on how to land a hit and block more than combos. I do that and then I can just use whatever is consistent. You can always expand on that later. Ain't no use practicing some combo if you cant even get the confirm to start it or know how to block and punish folks with anything your grinding.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I focus on giving up after 10 minutes and going back to whatever I started playing after the last time I abandoned SF5.
I'm so sorry Poison, I swear my feelings for you are true.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I focus on how to land a hit and block more than combos. I do that and then I can just use whatever is consistent. You can always expand on that later. Ain't no use practicing some combo if you cant even get the confirm to start it or know how to block and punish folks with anything your grinding.

Emphasizing fundamentals is more important that attempting to emulate combo videos.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best one free
61y6PtM.jpg

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Hey guys, for the people who went to the EVO finals in the arena.

Do you like the new stage config from the past 2 years or the one before?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I bought so many fighting games welp. Now I'll be trash at all of them because I don't play one too hard

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Battle for the Grid update added wavedash and plink dashing. This shit was already crazy. The fact we got hidden missile assist means we bout to get real intense. Think it needs to be time for another stream of exhibition matches soon from nway.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Fighting ERA. I've been frustrated recently because I've been trying to get into Blazblue Cross Tag and also to a lesser extent Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2 how many of you just use pads for these games? Cause I feel like I'm "almost" getting into these games but I've kept wondering if buying a stick would make some execution stuff easier.

My only problem is like I don't wanna dump a bunch of money into a really expensive stick and then be stuck with a hunk of plastic and wires I never use. Is there a good quality PS4 stick out there that also doesn't break the bank?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Fighting ERA. I've been frustrated recently because I've been trying to get into Blazblue Cross Tag and also to a lesser extent Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2 how many of you just use pads for these games? Cause I feel like I'm "almost" getting into these games but I've kept wondering if buying a stick would make some execution stuff easier.

My only problem is like I don't wanna dump a bunch of money into a really expensive stick and then be stuck with a hunk of plastic and wires I never use. Is there a good quality PS4 stick out there that also doesn't break the bank?
I only use pads for those two and every other fighter I play, but that's me. If it's not on an arcade cab, which couldn't be a rarer opportunity for me these days, I pretty much never play stick.
Idk I find SFV really slow. Maybe I'm not used to it but that's just my initial impression when playing it
SFV is anything but slow. There was just a discussion in the OT rightfully lamenting it being geared toward rushdown at the expense of every other playstyle as a result of viewers/consumers finding every other approach boring.

If anything, nearly every fighter this gen that isn't Granblue Fantasy Versus or SamSho is exceptionally hyper.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I keep waiting for the collectors edition of power rangers to go on sale but it hasn't yet. Realize it's only $40 but I'm especially bad at tag fighters and money's tight atm

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, came back to SF5 and I just suck. I can't handle the weird, super specific timing in many combos. I don't like that it feels so unintuitive. Tap, tap, tap - this should work, this should activate the move and go into combo but noooooo 0,0000001 second too early :P Which character would you say is the most forgiving combo-timing-wise?

Also, I play on Dualshock 4. But the d-pad is sometimes stupid and just by pressing left or right it also presses up or down... Which gamepad would you say has the best d-pad for FGs? For PS4 or PS4/PC.

(I've tried arcade stick and my skills have not improved so I went back to gamepad after couple of weeks)

Jun 22, 2019
Can somebody post a hype high-level match from that Power Rangers game?
I'm intrigued but also very put-off at the same time from what I saw on this page somehow...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, came back to SF5 and I just suck. I can't handle the weird, super specific timing in many combos. I don't like that it feels so unintuitive. Tap, tap, tap - this should work, this should activate the move and go into combo but noooooo 0,0000001 second too early :P Which character would you say is the most forgiving combo-timing-wise?

Also, I play on Dualshock 4. But the d-pad is sometimes stupid and just by pressing left or right it also presses up or down... Which gamepad would you say has the best d-pad for FGs? For PS4 or PS4/PC.

(I've tried arcade stick and my skills have not improved so I went back to gamepad after couple of weeks)
This is part of why I play Ibuki. Her inputs feel far less rigid to me, her target combos also helping with this. Just make sure you use VT2 and nothing else like the rest of us who play her, no tactical advantage at all to VT1 and it winds up introducing execution complications that aren't there with her otherwise. The twitchy precision required for playing characters like Karin is the major factor in why I don't care for playing her in this game, other reasons being her rekkas being locked to VT1 and her counters to VT2 as well as missing being able to air throw off of a launcher, or even at all anymore with her (Kolin wound up being closer to what I was hoping Karin would play like in this, and even then I still neglect her).

No ideas regarding alternative pads, though. Dual Shock 4 typically works fine for me, the only real problem I've observed in SFV specifically being the game's control buffer tending to lead to accidental supers for certain characters (particularly if performing a DP and they have a QCFx2 input for their CA).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody post a hype high-level match from that Power Rangers game?
I'm intrigued but also very put-off at the same time from what I saw on this page somehow...
Since the patch with wave dash and Zedd literally just hit like a day ago theres no tourney stuff yet to showcase all that. It shows up a lot though and I think wnf does it now too.

Edit
Oh hey heres Barfights. Forgot about this. Really good shit here. Fun fact, in finals Clockw0rk shows up dressed as Black dino charge ranger. Skip to the end to see them show the players for the full glory of Super Sentai Clockw0rk.

Also a dude streaming after Zedd patch so day 1 new stuff with movement but the crazy wavedashing aint kicked in full yet imo

Last edited:

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
tbh i've gotten a bt too hype for GBFVS, to the point where if it's not coming day one to pc (which there is still a bit of hope for seeing the way cygames has been talking about platforms), this will be the game that gets me to finally buy a switch.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
tbh i've gotten a bt too hype for GBFVS, to the point where if it's not coming day one to pc (which there is still a bit of hope for seeing the way cygames has been talking about platforms), this will be the game that gets me to finally buy a switch.
There's been nothing said about a Switch version of GBVS either, though. And even if there were, the community of that version would be pretty much guaranteed to be much smaller/fade much faster than on PS4 going by past multiplatform fighter releases.

Unless you meant the Power Rangers game, in which case never mind me.

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
There's been nothing said about a Switch version of GBVS either, though. And even if there were, the community of that version would be pretty much guaranteed to be much smaller/fade much faster than on PS4 going by past multiplatform fighter releases.

Unless you meant the Power Rangers game, in which case never mind me.
i was almost 100% sure i had heard some official news of a switch version of Granbue, but looking around i guess that was probably wishful thinking. and in 2019 i couldn't imagine a game that relies on a community of players in multplayer not having crossplay, but thinking back, ArcSys never does crossplay (and Sony are still jerks about it), so again, wishful thinking at best. there's nothing that will get me to get a ps4 tho, i have nowhere to put it and no screen to hook it up to. i guess i really do need to temper my hype seeing as in retrospect i'll probably never get to play it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This just dropped on gamespot youtube. Clockw0rk and Persia goin in on the new1.4 Power Ranger Battle for the Grid patch and playing. Should be some good stuff.