• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Man...
I have so much trouble grappling with the mental gymnastic involved in fighting games. I'm not talking about the mindgames and such but rather, how one perceive taking L's or seeing how badly they can perform and so on. This is by far the hardest part for me in any fighting games. Whenever something's wrong I venture in unhealthy, self-critic/self-loathing territory and I'm aware all that shit I say about myself isn't true but I can't help it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Man...
I have so much trouble grappling with the mental gymnastic involved in fighting games. I'm not talking about the mindgames and such but rather, how one perceive taking L's or seeing how badly they can perform and so on. This is by far the hardest part for me in any fighting games. Whenever something's wrong I venture in unhealthy, self-critic/self-loathing territory and I'm aware all that shit I say about myself isn't true but I can't help it.
Chris G is that you?
Seriously though that sorta thinking is an echo chamber of negativity that only trains you to fall apart immediately after a single.mistake. and as Chris G proved back when he was trapped in that "I hafta play perfect " mindset it's nothing but a trap that holds you back. The moment he stopped worrying about L and mistakes was the moment he started enjoying himself and performing better more consistently at a pro level and that's in an environment where you win or go hungry.

As a casual player, as someone whose doin it online or just locally because it's what you love theres no reason to let these things hold you back. Learn to laugh as you make mistakes. It's about seeing your progress more than never taking an L.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Chris G is that you?
Seriously though that sorta thinking is an echo chamber of negativity that only trains you to fall apart immediately after a single.mistake. and as Chris G proved back when he was trapped in that "I hafta play perfect " mindset it's nothing but a trap that holds you back. The moment he stopped worrying about L and mistakes was the moment he started enjoying himself and performing better more consistently at a pro level and that's in an environment where you win or go hungry.

As a casual player, as someone whose doin it online or just locally because it's what you love theres no reason to let these things hold you back. Learn to laugh as you make mistakes. It's about seeing your progress more than never taking an L.
I tend to be alright with taking L's but it depends. There's time where it's the usual where you do your stuff but it didn't score you a win, I can...deal with that. Then there's matches where you get completely stomped and it makes you feel like you're completely new to the game. Like, the match where everything you attempt seem to be in vain and at that point it build up and up and up and yeah I fall into that awful mindset and as it build up I obviously end up even more trash and so on.

Do know, I don't really lash at my opponents if I did there'd be a more serious issue at hand but I do end up going the "bah, that's a cheap move" (when it clearly isn't and so on) but never verbally attacking folks, gosh no. (i'm thankful for that)

Sometimes though it's like...why bother but here I am probably back to it about a day later. That's definitely an area of myself where I hope I can improve upon in 2020 but it's very...difficult.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For those that missed out on Dai Shi for power rangers battle for the grid heres a how to a member of the discord community did that breaks down the options and building blocks of all his combo work. The character had huge damage potential and mixup potential as well so enjoy.

These things bring back good memories of maximilian educating marvel 3 folk with breakdowns.

Discord link for those eager for a very active community that's helpful as well as a place the devs chat and take feedback while leaving sneakpeaks at things they're adding.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Ahhh! The feeling you get when you're slowly crawling into someone's mind in a fighting game is priceless.

I was playing KI exhibition with someone random and he was 5-0 on me. I started figuring him out and got to 5-3. He then went into panic mode and started making the worst mistakes. After I won my 4th match, he left and messaged me "ggs". This 5-4 set is more satisfying then any 10-0 win I get.

After playing Hisako for sometime I am seeing her shortcomings. She does not have any good wake up attacks. Her down HP anti air is only good in some situations as it is way too slow. Her worst matchup is Riptor as it is super hard to get out of her pressure because of the mentioned weaknesses. Also Hisako's grab reach is ridiculously bad as you have to be french kissing the opponent to grab him. Nonetheless, I think she is super fun to use. Her parry is amazing.

I think it's time I move on to another character. Not sure which one yet. Maybe Sabrewulf or Thunder. Both are not too complex and fit my playstyle.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh! The feeling you get when you're slowly crawling into someone's mind in a fighting game is priceless.

I was playing KI exhibition with someone random and he was 5-0 on me. I started figuring him out and got to 5-3. He then went into panic mode and started making the worst mistakes. After I won my 4th match, he left and messaged me "ggs". This 5-4 set is more satisfying then any 10-0 win I get.

After playing Hisako for sometime I am seeing her shortcomings. She does not have any good wake up attacks. Her down HP anti air is only good in some situations as it is way too slow. Her worst matchup is Riptor as it is super hard to get out of her pressure because of the mentioned weaknesses. Also Hisako's grab reach is ridiculously bad as you have to be french kissing the opponent to grab him. Nonetheless, I think she is super fun to use. Her parry is amazing.

I think it's time I move on to another character. Not sure which one yet. Maybe Sabrewulf or Thunder. Both are not too complex and fit my playstyle.
Well if you like throws and Anti air Thunder is your guy lol. Hell his AA is even great for footsies. Beats l and m and trades well with heavies.

Looking at vids confirmed something. Cr hp into command grab seems like a setup that is used a lot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I love about KI so much. Every character has a large list of shit you look at and it makes you think "holy shiy that's overpowered and broken!"

The great thing is though that the games core mechanics are so well built that they can get away with the whole roster having crazy overpowered stuff. Breakers, counterbreakers and shadow breakers mean it dont matter how good they are at opening you up or racking up damage if they arent good at reads and use flowchart combo patterns. You'll break em or counter break them and all that damage is gone because it's all potential damage only till you cash out your combo with an ender.

I cant even imagine what that sorta system would've done to other games given how repetitive some games combos are. Odds on it would force just about any title to start over on movesets and combo options otherwise the bottlenecks they put in place to prevent infinite stuff and loops in their current forms would force the game to stall out and suffer breakers every other moment. I'd imagine if you just slapped it on one at random youd see a ton of timeouts occur right off the bat lol.

KI design is from the ground up to let you have fun like this. It needs to come back.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's what I love about KI so much. Every character has a large list of shit you look at and it makes you think "holy shiy that's overpowered and broken!"

The great thing is though that the games core mechanics are so well built that they can get away with the whole roster having crazy overpowered stuff. Breakers, counterbreakers and shadow breakers mean it dont matter how good they are at opening you up or racking up damage if they arent good at reads and use flowchart combo patterns. You'll break em or counter break them and all that damage is gone because it's all potential damage only till you cash out your combo with an ender.

I cant even imagine what that sorta system would've done to other games given how repetitive some games combos are. Odds on it would force just about any title to start over on movesets and combo options otherwise the bottlenecks they put in place to prevent infinite stuff and loops in their current forms would force the game to stall out and suffer breakers every other moment. I'd imagine if you just slapped it on one at random youd see a ton of timeouts occur right off the bat lol.

KI design is from the ground up to let you have fun like this. It needs to come back.
Amen to that.

Once you've passed the execution stage, the difference between you and a good player is mind game. All characters are viable in KI. I saw Domi beat people in tournament with Killgore and it was glorious

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Amen to that.

Once you've passed the execution stage, the difference between you and a good player is mind game. All characters are viable in KI. I saw Domi beat people in tournament with Killgore and it was glorious
Oh my god I remember the killgore wins folks dhad on some streams. No one knew he was even an idea then suddenly a whole extra character is out. Folks were so hype seeing if hed overheat or clutch out the win first.

God help me but I love playing Eyedol. Dudes a trip with the stance floppon constantly but every move he has feel so damned strong. I probably played better with my Thunder or Aria though.

I lo e the entire roster though. So much to do. From Spinals mixups and pressure from the skulls he gets from shieldcounters, to Aganos bein a big body with huge hitboxes who can shrink the screen with walls to force you in then put you through those walls for damage, to Omen having a million projectile tools it's all exciting.

Just look at this roster. Its amazing.
Charselect-1.png

I strongly feel footsie loving 1v1 folks chose the wrong title if they weren't playing this.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Oh my god I remember the killgore wins folks dhad on some streams. No one knew he was even an idea then suddenly a whole extra character is out. Folks were so hype seeing if hed overheat or clutch out the win first.

God help me but I love playing Eyedol. Dudes a trip with the stance floppon constantly but every move he has feel so damned strong. I probably played better with my Thunder or Aria thoigh.
Remember when people were saying how Eyedol was too boring and broken in the old games to salvage him. Then they showed his trailer with the split head and stance change. I thought it was a brilliant idea eventhough I never liked stance characters. I need to play him more.

My least favorite characters in the game are Combo and Tusk. I cant for the life of me play with them. Kanra also, for me, requires too much micro management.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people were saying how Eyedol was too boring and broken in the old games to salvage him. Then they showed his trailer with the split head and stance change. I thought it was a brilliant idea eventhough I never liked stance characters. I need to play him more.

My least favorite characters in the game are Combo and Tusk. I cant for the life of me play with them. Kanra also, for me, requires too much micro management.
The moment you see a good Kanra though. God damn is that scary. It feels like nowhere is safe but like you cant afford to slow down or you know itll only get worse with the traps. There was a season or two where he was prominent as hell in top 4.
That real scary shit though is Raam. I hit the ground so damned hard after his shit beat me down online I was left in the Yamcha pose. Hes so hard to read with them bats and shit and I kept ending up in lockout giving up free damage.
I still wanna meet a good Rash. Battletoad never matches up with me.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey zoodoo, I want to play more matches against you.

Does anyone wants to play KI? I feel that the game is more alive than logs of newer releases.

Btw, played some BBTAG with KaneBlueriver, he kicked my ass but convinced me that the game is super fun, I want to learn more from it

I dont know if my team of Orie and Neo is good, or wherenI could learn their tricks

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hey zoodoo, I want to play more matches against you.

Does anyone wants to play KI? I feel that the game is more alive than logs of newer releases.

Btw, played some BBTAG with KaneBlueriver, he kicked my ass but convinced me that the game is super fun, I want to learn more from it

I dont know if my team of Orie and Neo is good, or wherenI could learn their tricks
I'll be playing later today. I'll invite you.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This is known issue or whatever, with some majors not having the audience/hall mic'd up correctly.

But I am reminded again, after watching the Chargers/Chiefs and 9ers/Seahawks games this weekend, the energy from the crowds was electric. I could feel the energy from my couch. It was great. You also get this with big college games as well.

Getting the energy of the venue where the competition is happening out to the viewing audience is a great thing.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019

God help me but I love playing Eyedol. Dudes a trip with the stance floppon constantly but every move he has feel so damned strong. I probably played better with my Thunder or Aria though.

I lo e the entire roster though. So much to do. From Spinals mixups and pressure from the skulls he gets from shieldcounters, to Aganos bein a big body with huge hitboxes who can shrink the screen with walls to force you in then put you through those walls for damage, to Omen having a million projectile tools it's all exciting.

Just look at this roster. Its amazing.

I strongly feel footsie loving 1v1 folks chose the wrong title if they weren't playing this.
It's really insane the varying playstyles in this game. I'm still sad I jumped on this game so late.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I think what throws people is some of the stuff in the game like auto doubles linkers manuals openers and enders.

Folks get combo breakers, and shadow counters since it's just a counter. Folks get shadow and instinct stuff in general as it's just sorta extra mechanic normalcy. Ita the core that they lose to in conversation as they don't get what those terms mean in combos.

Openers start combos. Typically these are specials and maybe a few normal moves

Autodoubles/manuals are just normal buttons done after an opener. Which comes out depends on timing. Autodoubles are easy to time and hit more but you can only use one and it's easier to time a breaker on. Manuals have tighter timing but are harder to break and you can string multiple together on combos.

Linkers are just specials done mid combo. They actually come out and tell you which ones work in combo in this game is all.

Enders are special moves you end a combo with that use the Heavy attack button. This is how you cash out to get full damage and these often gain new properties they dont have when just done raw dog out of combos.

Tada. That's it. The terms arent standard though so it throws people. It's honestly NORMAL combo structure but they straight tell you in this game with those terms where each move fits in combo structure to help you. They even have the scaling under your combo meter so you know when the combo will drop and know when to cash out with an ender.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, with the new year upon us I gotta say this year I've definitely noticed a lot of self improvement when it comes to fighting games. Now, a good chunk of that year was spent on various series but a whole lot was invested in various KOF games via fightcade and XIV on PS4 but my execution and understanding improved for sure. My executions is still lacking but I grasp the concept of input buffering a lot more, like say a basic combo where it's like cr. C, qcf + A/C, qcf 2x + B/D doesn't really give me trouble, I used to input those sort of motions 3 times and failing 90% of the time due to bad execution. Now I understand the practicality of changing that to cr. C, qcf + A/C, qcf + B/D which also helps me in other fighting games.

Sounds dumb but the process behind it eluded me for a long time, until I began looking into "input buffering", while my executions still require a lot of work I can focus on timing as well. I'm looking forward to improve my fundamentals and such in 2020, especially with the new games coming out/that have yet to be announced.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Played some KI. My wife always loves Aria. She finds all the character designs cool.
I then showed her the alt on Retro Riptor that dresses her like a cheerleader. Yes the dinosaur cyborg.

She now has a new favorite lol. Best dino alt.
Her exact quote between laughing was "Objectively Aria is obviously best waifu, but Riptor is MY waifu because she is the most Kawaii."
Fuck I love that woman. :D

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Played some KI. My wife always loves Aria. She finds all the character designs cool.
I then showed her the alt on Retro Riptor that dresses her like a cheerleader. Yes the dinosaur cyborg.

She now has a new favorite lol. Best dino alt.
Her exact quote between laughing was "Objectively Aria is obviously best waifu, but Riptor is MY waifu because she is the most Kawaii."
Fuck I love that woman. :D
I really like that Riptor outfit too. First time I saw it I remember getting a good laugh at it.

Best waifu for me is Maya. They managed to take the most boring character of KI2 and gave her an incredible design in this game. Hisako is a close second.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So was playing MK XL on ps now and I actually like it more than MK11? I think the speed makes it much more appealing to me. I feel like MK11 is pretty slow.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played a 35 matches set with someone in KI online. I lost 30 - 5 and it was one of the best set I have ever played. The player was really good. He played Mira and I played Hisako. The mind game from both side was insane. That was pure KI fun. Damn this game is sooo good.

I could not find the player in my recent player list. I guess its because he was playing on pc. His gamertag is Scars.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I played a 35 matches set with someone in KI online. I lost 30 - 5 and it was one of the best set I have ever played. The player was really good. He played Mira and I played Hisako. The mind game from both side was insane. That was pure KI fun. Damn this game is sooo good.

I could not find the player in my recent player list. I guess its because he was playing on pc. His gamertag is Scars.
O_o
Did you just play the same scar that was in grand finals mk all the time? Lotta mk dudes play ki.
Either way congrats on the gg. It's awesome when you find someone that you learn from. The L's mean more than the W's.