• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, one of most interesting potential of return to me is the Orochi team with Shermie, Chris and Yashiro. Admittedly, i'm very curious how they'll handle the roster. Like sibarraz said there's a lot of characters that are 100% sure to come back so...just gotta wait patiently for news to roll out.
If the Team New Faces makes it back in, I hope they sneak their Orochi versions in somehow as well (even if it has to be as like, an install super or something).

Orochi Yashiro is mad fun to play but Vanilla Yashiro is zzzzzzzzzzz

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Combo Breaker 2020 venue got announced.
combobreaker.org

COMBO BREAKER

Live From The Midwest! COMBO BREAKER is an annual gaming festival dedicated to competitive fighting games. Our renowned event takes place over 3-days each spring and showcases a vast number of tournaments, community activities, exhibitors, vendors, visiting artists, and more! Key Info News And...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows where I could find an updated tier list for KOF 2002 UM? I have seen lots of tournaments where even though the use of Nameless/K'/Kasumi, but also I have seen lots of characters that seem to fare well in tournaments.

Actually I like how balanced is 2002um, even if KKN are annoying as fuck, they are not invincible at all

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like this years EVO Japan has very little umph behind it. Its like, yeah its happening, and I'll go but there is little hype.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Blazblue Central Fiction tourney at Frosty Faustings is awesome. Got a pair of BULLET mains actually doin cool shit. LTL and Candle in the stream keeping hope alive for butt floss mains.

My mains were in order Platinum, then it was Bullet then finally Mai once they was out. Im seeing 2 out of 3of those in top 12 now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The yearly TVC tournament is back at Frosty Faustings and this is THE major that they all play. The unofficial championship for the game itself and this year it has KBEAST back in action!

5pm central (6 est)
BRACKET IS UP!

Last edited:

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid finally starting. I think I had it an hour off again. Anyhow here come the first Pro League tournament on the circuit for BFTG!
League Points getting awarded here.
DR2DygL

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is Fighting Ex Layer dead? I don't hear about this game anymore. Is it any good? Is the online playable?

I really like the art style of this game but the animation is still stuck in the 90s. I wish KOF 14 looked like that.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I never felt there was much hype for Evo Japan anyway, at least from a western point of view.
pretty much. There's hardly any western players going. It seems like it's hyped up from the Japan point of view at least since they had to put a cap on Smash with the crazy amount of people signing up for it.

Japan in general seems to be really, REALLY bad about making people aware of events in their scene. Even after moving here I hardly ever hear about events until a few days before or when they are already happening. Now with their esports push I figured it would be a bit better but nope.

EVO this year has the same place as TGS and feels like even less hype which is odd.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Seth in February, but otherwise next couple of months'll be quiet far as Fighting game news go...WHERE SAMSHO ON PC AND SWITCH, SNK1??!?!?!?!!?

2+ Hours of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

60+ mins. of Vampire Hunter/Darkstalkers' Revenge

5 Hours of Melty Blood

60+ mins. of Ultra Street Fighter IV

90+ mins. of Garou MotW

2+ Hours of Puyo Puyo

2+ Hours of Street Fighter III 3S

3+ Hours of Capcom vs. SNK 2

60+ mins. of Super Street Fighter II Turbo

An extra 2+ Hours of Street Fighter III 3S

An extra 7+ Hours of Melty Blood

Oct 25, 2017
Seth in February, but otherwise next couple of months'll be quiet far as Fighting game news go...WHERE SAMSHO ON PC AND SWITCH, SNK1??!?!?!?!!?
You don't think there will be any fighting game news at EVO Japan? Which is happening this week. Or was the fighting game news specifically talking about Street Fighter? Also, February 25th for samsho switch release. PC still MIA.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
You don't think there will be any fighting game news at EVO Japan? Which is happening this week. Or was the fighting game news specifically talking about Street Fighter? Also, February 25th for samsho switch release. PC still MIA.
Didn't know EVO Japan is this week, neat.
PC sitll being MIA even after so many months is some BS =_=

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd repost this archive from Matchstick Melee from Frosty Faustings since it has a lot of great games on it usually not shown from Day 2. Its all one clip since they're still clipping for youtube, but the weekend was awesome so heres a nice way to catch up on some of these.

FROSTY FAUSTINGS XII
  • TOUHOU 12.3 HISOUTENSOKYO
  • POWER RANGERS BATTLE FOR THE GRID Pools to Top 3 (2hr12min mark)
    *top 3 jumped to low kick esports stream*
    TOP 3 BFTG UPLOADED HERE
  • PUYO PUYO TETRIS (4hr 22 min mark)
  • TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM TOP 8 (5hr 22 min mark)
  • MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 TOP 4 (8hr 29 min mark)
  • KILLER INSTINCT TOP 4 (9hr 25 min mark)

Bonus FROSTY FAUSTINGS XII DAY 1!

JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE TOURNAMENT

KOIHIME ENBU RYO RAI RAI

FIGHTING EX LAYER

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Also because I mentioned LowKickEsports who were kind of enough to guaranteed host Top 3 BFTG before they had anyone to even stream pools I'd like to give you some good shit from Frosty Faustings XII from there youtube channel because they hosted a lot of other awesome games on their stream as well.

FROSTY FAUSTINGS XII

MARVEL VS CAPCOM INFINITE TOP 8

BLAZBLUE CROSS TAG BATTLE IN ITS GLORIOUS 6hr + ENTIRETY

BBTAG POOLS

BBTAG TOP 24

BBTAG TOP 8

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Figured I'd repost this archive from Matchstick Melee from Frosty Faustings since it has a lot of great games on it usually not shown from Day 2. Its all one clip since they're still clipping for youtube, but the weekend was awesome so heres a nice way to catch up on some of these.

FROSTY FAUSTINGS XII
  • TOUHOU 12.3 HISOUTENSOKYO
  • POWER RANGERS BATTLE FOR THE GRID Pools to Top 3 (2hr12min mark)
    *top 3 jumped to low kick esports stream*
    TOP 3 BFTG UPLOADED HERE
  • PUYO PUYO TETRIS (4hr 22 min mark)
  • TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM TOP 8 (5hr 22 min mark)
  • MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 TOP 4 (8hr 29 min mark)
  • KILLER INSTINCT TOP 4 (9hr 25 min mark)

Bonus FROSTY FAUSTINGS XII DAY 1!

JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE TOURNAMENT

KOIHIME ENBU RYO RAI RAI

FIGHTING EX LAYER

Thanks

I was looking for those

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Evo Japan is probably gonna have an announcement or two.
Plus there is Granblue Fantasy Versus coming out next month (in Japan at least, where the hell is the western release date?). Also, Byleth is releasing in a week for SSBU. So there's a bit more going on then just Seth in the coming weeks in terms of Fighting Games.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why do tag fighting games rely so much on repeated combos? I was watching the Power rangers tournament and one of the players was using Quantum ranger and doing a 3hit combo in the corner over and over until the opponent was dead. Is that intentional or an exploit? And the opponent has just to sit through it and can't do anything?
I'm a scrub when it comes to MvC or any 3v3/2v2 fighting games that's why I'm asking

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Why do tag fighting games rely so much on repeated combos? I was watching the Power rangers tournament and one of the players was using Quantum ranger and doing a 3hit combo in the corner over and over until the opponent was dead. Is that intentional or an exploit? And the opponent has just to sit through it and can't do anything?
I'm a scrub when it comes to MvC or any 3v3/2v2 fighting games that's why I'm asking
Quantum Ranger has an install super that gives him new moves and removes restrictions on combos. He has no damage super so he has to use ex to end it. Though he does get the ex for free during install so that he can try to get some damage for all that meter if he screws up and has to chase folks down before it runs out. In other words that 3 hit loop he did was his gimmick and his alone...he does that super and he let's all players for a very limited time enjoy Infinites. That's how you get damage for all that meter. Hes good to tag into to finish stuff and to style on folk. Otherwise he runs and guns like Cable. During Install watchout. He gets huge normals with a sword, and essentially becomes like MVC3 Zero mixed with Vergil stuff.

Others run into combo scaling and limits on moves. For example Green has repeatedly had to have his drill kick reigned in as well as his other specials because they'd loop or infinite too easily without restrictions. Gold is about to be reigned in similarly for an infinite that recently became possible.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Quantum Ranger has an install super that gives him new moves and removes restrictions on combos. He has no damage super so he has to use ex to end it. Though he does get the ex for free during install so that he can try to get some damage for all that meter if he screws up and has to chase folks down before it runs out. In other words that 3 hit loop he did was his gimmick and his alone...he does that super and he let's all players for a very limited time enjoy Infinites. That's how you get damage for all that meter. Hes good to tag into to finish stuff and to style on folk. Otherwise he runs and guns like Cable. During Install watchout. He gets huge normals with a sword, and essentially becomes like MVC3 Zero mixed with Vergil stuff.

Others run into combo scaling and limits on moves. For example Green has repeatedly had to have his drill kick reigned in as well as his other specials because they'd loop or infinite too easily without restrictions. Gold is about to be reigned in similarly for an infinite that recently became possible.
But his combo went on for a long ass time and did like 80% damage. That's op.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
But his combo went on for a long ass time and did like 80% damage. That's op.
Lol. That's. The. Character.
Hes got the trickiest combos in the games, few starters and is only good at running till you got meter for install super. Then he completely changes. That's the gimmick.

Anyone in this game can get damage. Everyone has stuff. None of its guaranteed and even at top level folks drop shit alllll the time. Dude still has to run you down and cant really survive without meter. Most use snapbacks to force him into mixups the second they drill a point character with a combo because he falls apart under pressure up close. He let's you feel powerful in install because honestly you earned it. You can also armor the shit out of him with ex or folks like trini or magna.

Seriously dont take training mode combo vids or legends like Dacidbro as what you should expect to see after a hit lands in any fighting game man. I play online a lot and live in the discord and you see flowchart combo guys failing because they dont use resources right in neutral. Once the game is played full pace with assists and rapid tag and swap combos long combos fall apart off a touch even at high level because you cant calm down. Quantum install combos are a relief valve in those moments to blow off steam but he make it tough for folks in such fast play given his problems under pressure once they get in. Drakkon is arguably the worst in the game and I've seen him frequently slaughter folks trying to fish for quantum shit and online hes in the top teams on the leader boards all the time because his pressure makes players start fumbling their shit.
If you come up with something grimly and bullshit in bftg it let's you generally enjoy it because all the cast got stuff. It's a sandbox that let's you do all kinds of shit. Theres enough offense and mobility in the game it balances out. They only stop true infinites and loops that go too far. It's fun how marvel is fun that way.

Hope that explains the play environment of this game at various levels and why it all good and you shouldn't worry bout this shit so much.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hes got the trickiest combos in the games, few starters and is only good at running till you got meter for install super. Then he completely changes. That's the gimmick.

Anyone in this game can get damage. Everyone has stuff. None of its guaranteed and even at top level folks drop shit alllll the time. Dude still has to run you down and cant really survive without meter. Most use snapbacks to force him into mixups the second they drill a point character with a combo because he falls apart under pressure up close. He let's you feel powerful in install because honestly you earned it. You can also armor the shit out of him with ex or folks like trini or magna.

Seriously dont take training mode combo vids or legends like Dacidbro as what you should expect to see after a hit lands in any fighting game man. I play online a lot and live in the discord and you see flowchart combo guys failing because they dont use resources right in neutral. Once the game is played full pace with assists and rapid tag and swap combos long combos fall apart off a touch even at high level because you cant calm down. Quantum install combos are a relief valve in those moments to blow off steam but he make it tough for folks in such fast play given his problems under pressure once they get in. Drakkon is arguably the worst in the game and I've seen him frequently slaughter folks trying to fish for quantum shit and online hes in the top teams on the leader boards all the time because his pressure makes players start fumbling their shit.
If you come up with something grimly and bullshit in bftg it let's you generally enjoy it because all the cast got stuff. It's a sandbox that let's you do all kinds of shit. Theres enough offense and mobility in the game it balances out. They only stop true infinites and loops that go too far. It's fun how marvel is fun that way.

Hope that explains the play environment of this game at various levels and why it all good and you shouldn't worry bout this shit so much.
Thanks for the info. My issue is when you reach a certain level in the game that situation will happen where you get 80% of your health taken by a 3hit repeated combo. And that's frustrating. Hoping people drop a combo is not a mechanic.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017

With all due respect you can see why people wouldn't like a gimmick like that, though. I like to play the game casually and I'm not a fan of Eric's loops in his install super even though I'll use them myself, lmao.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. My issue is when you reach a certain level in the game that situation will happen where you get 80% of your health taken by a 3hit repeated combo. And that's frustrating. Hoping people drop a combo is not a mechanic.
Yeah...at this point my advice turns into the same I give many folk. Turn off the stream and actually play it more. Or maybe watch a casual play stream to see what normal folk play like ?

Your take aways from what you watched and what you got paired with will differ. If your good enough to be hitting 80 percent damage consistently or even killing with 1 bar consistently you'll be paired with folks that can keep up. If you fear that stuff youve likely put it on too high a pedestal and I'm betting you wont get slapped with it in match pairings at the level of play where that intimidates. It's only scary if you dont have shit like that consistent of your own and if you aint got that you wont be paired up with it.

Seriously. Play more. Base things off that. It's good and you'll see it's fine and your basing too much on streams and clips. What your fearing is high end shit and why be afraid of the distilled top play If you ain't a part of that or for that matter why fear it if you are in those leagues?

Seriously ...if you ain't equipped to face that stuff yet dont worry. You wont make it out of your ranking and Bracketing in game to have to face that shit until long after your equipped to join in on it and its not so scary then because at that level its like all other damage you give up. Just something you know how to get back readily enough if you land a hit. If your afraid of the distilled top play you've spent too long studying it instead of playing it and there is a big difference in watching this game on the pro tour and experiencing it first hand. You can try quantum yourself as anchor with the meter and see how far it lasts online before you find yourself chasing that install constantly all match and struggling. Even with Quantums easy infinite gimmick you'll have to improve even with 80 percent 3 hit loops on his character. Youd be burning through his meter constantly using ex for armor to get people off you.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$20 deal on Powerline adapters via Newegg. I've got a different model from this company that's been perfect for me-

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah...at this point my advice turns into the same I give many folk. Turn off the stream and actually play it more. Or maybe watch a casual play stream to see what normal folk play like ?

Your take aways from what you watched and what you got paired with will differ. If your good enough to be hitting 80 percent damage consistently or even killing with 1 bar consistently you'll be paired with folks that can keep up. If you fear that stuff youve likely put it on too high a pedestal and I'm betting you wont get slapped with it in match pairings at the level of play where that intimidates. It's only scary if you dont have shit like that consistent of your own and if you aint got that you wont be paired up with it.

Seriously. Play more. Base things off that. It's good and you'll see it's fine and your basing too much on streams and clips. What your fearing is high end shit and why be afraid of the distilled top play If you ain't a part of that or for that matter why fear it if you are in those leagues?

Seriously ...if you ain't equipped to face that stuff yet dont worry. You wont make it out of your ranking and Bracketing in game to have to face that shit.

If your afraid of the distilled top play you've spent too long studying it instead of playing it and theres a big difference in watching this game on the pro tour and experiencing it first hand. You can try quantum yourself as anchor with the meter and see how far it lasts online before you find yourself chasing that install constantly all match and struggling. Even with Quantums easy infinite gimmick you'll have to improve even with 80 percent 3 hit loops on his character. Youd be burning through his meter constantly using ex for armor to get people off you.
I guess I'll have to try him then

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll have to try him then
I think you'll have a lot of fun in this game. At all levels its good, but yeah even discord is confirming at Platinum levels they aint even the only thing around. Game just moves too fast to not drop technical shit. They tend to go for resets more than lengthy shit because its easier to end in a setup for a new combo and learn smaller combos than one big one that drops under pressure. Many honestly dont get past using Quantum's blasters and running full match because that stuff Dacid does outside of install is so hard since he doesn't have good starters or easy timings.

Besides the next update is granting everyone in the game more health as well and less meter. 30% meter nerf and 100pts HP across the board. They dont like taking away stuff and typically find ways to let people enjoy stuff that makes them feel cool once they earn it but they dont want the game to progress to the point of sitting back and watching a film once something optimized comes up thats easy enough to kill because that leads to all teams focusing on that. That means folks will have even less emphasis to fish for lengthy shit and will instead try to end in setups and reset stuff more.

I suggest joining the discord. Theres a ton of exciting options on every character in BFTG and they've polished it up really well with updates the past year. They'll help you learn how to do stuff and deal with stuff and since the inputs in this game never get harder than push forward, down or backwards with a button its easy to put together stuff even if the technical shit is still there with advanced timing and execution if you wanna perform training mode combos like Gadget Guru (who is inhuman and insanely impractical to emulate the combos of in real matches lol).

Last edited:

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a maintained list anywhere of Steam fighters with rollback netcode? I tried looking and I found some older, incomplete pages, I've been trying to put together a list for myself. What I have right now, from what I understand these all have rollback:

Fantasy Strike
Fight of Animals
Fight of Gods
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Injustice 2
Killer Instinct
The King of Fighters '97 Global Match
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Metal Revolution
Mortal Kombat X
Mortal Kombat 11
Pocket Rumble
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Punch Planet
Samurai Shodown V Special
Skullgirls
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Edition (?)
Street Fighter V
Them's Fightin' Herds
Umineko: Golden Fantasia

Am I missing any? I've also gone through and tagged all these games on Steam with rollback netcode (except the ? games because I'm unsure of those ones), I don't know if others would be interested but if enough people tag them I think it shows up on the page, and then you could just easily see on Steam itself what has rollback if that caught on.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Is there a maintained list anywhere of Steam fighters with rollback netcode? I tried looking and I found some older, incomplete pages, I've been trying to put together a list for myself. What I have right now, from what I understand these all have rollback:

Fantasy Strike
Fight of Animals
Fight of Gods
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Killer Instinct
The King of Fighters '97 Global Match
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Mortal Kombat X (?)
Mortal Kombat 11
Pocket Rumble
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Punch Planet
Samurai Shodown V Special
Skullgirls
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Edition (?)
Street Fighter V
Them's Fightin' Herds
Umineko: Golden Fantasia

Am I missing any? I've also gone through and tagged all these games on Steam with rollback netcode (except the ? games because I'm unsure of those ones), I don't know if others would be interested but if enough people tag them I think it shows up on the page, and then you could just easily see on Steam itself what has rollback if that caught on.
Injustice 2 does as well, and there's no need for a ? on MKX. They removed the delay netcode and replaced it with rollback.

Although it's still in development, this game too.

store.steampowered.com

Metal Revolution / 金属对决 on Steam

Metal Revolution is a new generation of fighting game. The minimalistic controls, deep gameplay, and the cyberpunk robot theme are designed to bring a fresh battle experience. For the fighters who never flinch in the face of furious combat, welcome to Metal Revolution.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 does as well, and there's no need for a ? on MKX. They removed the delay netcode and replaced it with rollback.

Although it's still in development, this game too.

store.steampowered.com

Metal Revolution / 金属对决 on Steam

Metal Revolution is a new generation of fighting game. The minimalistic controls, deep gameplay, and the cyberpunk robot theme are designed to bring a fresh battle experience. For the fighters who never flinch in the face of furious combat, welcome to Metal Revolution.
Thanks, forgot about IJ2. Wasn't sure if PC MKX would have had the netcode change because I feel like I remember it not having parity with consoles or something like that, or some sort of issues. I don't really keep up with NRS games so I'm out of the loop with it.