• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Stunning.

I'm worried about the price, though. :/

Edit: Wow, only 18k yen? That...doesn't seem so bad?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly just stick to exclusives now. They're still expensive, but at least they have a better chance of retaining their value and increasing in worth, and not hit the bargain bin like standard release figures tend to do. These things are getting too damn costly.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
It's out of control. I know I've harped on it before, but I really am starting to think I might only have a year or two tops left before I throw in the towel.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm down to bishoujos and the occasional Skytube/Rocket Boy lewds. I'm done buying anything else.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm being killed with prices, the figures I want in no way justify their insane prices.

One of them doesn't even look like a figure that couldn't have been released a few years ago.

My only solace is that I recently narrowed down the scope of figures I'm hunting for.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My only solace is that I recently narrowed down the scope of figures I'm hunting for.
This is what a lot of us are doing. It's just not sustainable to buy everything that catches your eye when so many people are already being priced out of the hobby. I'm just thankful that Kotobukiya has managed to keep prices comparably low.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
It's out of control. I know I've harped on it before, but I really am starting to think I might only have a year or two tops left before I throw in the towel.
I can't imagine if you're someone who buys two or three scales a month. Since '16 or so I'm lucky if I'll buy two scales a year.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in the days, 15-17k seemed expensive, and that was for the 1/4 scale figures. How times have changed.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, pricing wasn't as horrid when I started back in 2013. You rarely had to pay more than 12k or so for something high-end.
2013 is about when I started as well. When I first started collecting, I was buying up shit that I was even mildly interested in just to fill out my collection. Now I've become picky as fuck after selling off a lot of my collection a couple of years back. If I'm not frothing at the mouth to have it, it isn't getting bought. Amazing how much less you buy when adopting that rule set lol.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the big ¥ crash did a lot of damage. Then manufacturers jacked up all their prices, but never dropped them back down after the exchange rate normalized again.
Yeah, that likely had something to do with it. Oh well, these higher prices made it easier for me to throttle back a bit on my figure-spending, so it was probably for the best anyway.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
2013 is about when I started as well. When I first started collecting, I was buying up shit that I was even mildly interested in just to fill out my collection. Now I've become picky as fuck after selling off a lot of my collection a couple of years back. If I'm not frothing at the mouth to have it, it isn't getting bought. Amazing how much less you buy when adopting that rule set lol.
I think this is just the natural evolution of collecting anything. At first you're in a hurry to build a collection so you're grabbing everything in sight. Then when you have a room full of figure boxes, you realize you need to tweak your purchasing habits a bit.

Yeah, that likely had something to do with it. Oh well, these higher prices made it easier for me to throttle back a bit on my figure-spending, so it was probably for the best anyway.

Yeah, but still... I'd prefer to have become more picky on my own rather than because the prices are bananas.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Get a job you lazy bums!
It seems all conversations go back to how expensive figures have gotten ;-;

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
You guys know that feel when something amazing looking shows up at a show then disappears for a couple of years then has a miraculous reappearance where it looks great and all you could have ever hoped for then you see the price tag and go WTF? Happened to me first with the Max Gokin Big O and now this, the Volks Gothicmade Kaiserin.

14-5.jpg

13-8.jpg

22-3.jpg

23-2.jpg

15-4.jpg

While I think it looks gorgeous I'm not sure it's 80,000.00 gorgeous.

I've been putting away some of my figures to make space for books. Feels bad. Keeping my all time favs up though.

...books?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone interested in the eva 01 metal build? I preordered it on Amazon for around $260 but I don't think I'll have the funds to pay it.

If anyone wants it let me know and I'll change the address and credit card to yours. Deadline is this Thursday cause I really don't want to be charged for it.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
You all shall laugh at me one day when I move, and I shall suffer for it, but I chuck all my boxes. Can't have like a damn dedicated room for the things.

Also, I WOULD slow down my purchases... IF they would stop poking at my weak point of video game related nendos and figma. I am weak...

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
No box cuts down on resale value quite a bit in case interest in that figure wanes.

I keep them in the closet, and for me that's easy as I don't have too much in the way of clothes, and don't use that for anything else.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I just make clothes out of the cardboard boxes the figures come in. It sucks when it rains, though.

SigmaCloud

May 8, 2018
Kotobukiya announced the ARTFX Artist Series. I hope this line extends past Star Wars cause I really dig the art style.

Siona1555008675.jpeg

Agon1555109767.jpeg

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
how do you guys display your figures? I'm looking for a decent sized shelf for games and figures but I'm having a hard time deciding

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
how do you guys display your figures? I'm looking for a decent sized shelf for games and figures but I'm having a hard time deciding

Like Kewl said, Ikea Detolfs are some of the better cheap options around, though you might consider something else depending on what kind of figures you have. Also consider getting some risers to better make use of the back space.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Wow that sucks (and was certainly not a "Good Time"). That's like, a horror scenario for figure collectors. But like, playing with the toys is one thing, that kid left a disaster and somehow ruined DVDs and other stuff too? Sounds destructive >_> (I was snoopy kid and liked exploring and looking around, but knew better than to play around with stuff at other people's homes...)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
it's a joke article fyi

Seemed real enough. I see enough bad parenting out in public on an almost daily basis :/ Plus there was that recent legal story on Reddie of the kid that stole his uncle's Boba Fett figure and the parent didn't see what the problem was since it was opened and stuff.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
To be fair, pricing wasn't as horrid when I started back in 2013. You rarely had to pay more than 12k or so for something high-end.
I remember back in the days, 15-17k seemed expensive, and that was for the 1/4 scale figures. How times have changed.

I remember when I started all the way back in 2006, the typical 1/8 scale was only around 4800 yen. In 2008 when Max Factory announced their 1/8 Another Blood PVC (from Demonbane), I thought they had completely gone insane with their 6800 yen price tag. Oh man, if only I knew what awaited us all.

At my peak collecting, I was getting three to five scale figures every month. Now it's more like four or five figures a year, and even that's feeling too expensive now that 1/8 scales are creeping up to $200 "standard price".

You all shall laugh at me one day when I move, and I shall suffer for it, but I chuck all my boxes. Can't have like a damn dedicated room for the things.

Also, I WOULD slow down my purchases... IF they would stop poking at my weak point of video game related nendos and figma. I am weak...

I stopped keeping the boxes ages ago. From experience I can tell you moving is a tremendous pain in the ass, but I don't regret my decision. It's nice having closet space again!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I started all the way back in 2006, the typical 1/8 scale was only around 4800 yen. In 2008 when Max Factory announced their 1/8 Another Blood PVC (from Demonbane), I thought they had completely gone insane with their 6800 yen price tag. Oh man, if only I knew what awaited us all.

At my peak collecting, I was getting three to five scale figures every month. Now it's more like four or five figures a year, and even that's feeling too expensive now that 1/8 scales are creeping up to $200 "standard price".
Figure technology has come a long way, and sculpting technology has improved tremendously. But the current prices are still pretty crazy, even accounting for inflation.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Figure technology has come a long way, and sculpting technology has improved tremendously. But the current prices are still pretty crazy, even accounting for inflation.

Oh, for sure. An "impressive" PVC from 2006-2009 is nothing compared to what's coming out these days. The paint quality, the amount of detail on outfits, the poses, complex bases/dioramas becoming more common, etc. It's pretty wild seeing how things have changed over the years.