• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered Alter Yuzuruha. Can't wait to have all of the Muramasa ladies. I had to send Kongiku back and ask for a replacement though because she had a pretty bad pain chip on her collar.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered Alter Yuzuruha. Can't wait to have all of the Muramasa ladies. I had to send Kongiku back and ask for a replacement though because she had a pretty bad pain chip on her collar.
I never got around to picking up Okoi. I think I may be out with that series. I bought the Onsen versions from Hobby Japan and like those quite a bit.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Rin from Catherine Full Body is painted.

Agon1557800679.jpeg

Not bad, but I feel like the colors they went with make her look a little bland. Easy pass on this one. If they make Katherine, that'd be a different story.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow sales of figure companies but yeah, that seems really bad. Would love to see how companies like Good Smile Company and Alter are doing.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow sales of figure companies but yeah, that seems really bad. Would love to see how companies like Good Smile Company and Alter are doing.

I think GSC is definitely being affected. We can see it in the small number of new scales revealed this past WonFes and the stronger focus on the cheaper Nendoroid line.

Alter is probably doing alright since they now CHARGE 20,000¥ PER FIGURE LMAO

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
T-T-TRIPLE POST

Q3 sales results not so good for Kotobukiya

I'd be surprised if other figure makers weren't seeing similar sales slumps. Prices are so out of control that a lot of people just straight-up stopped collecting.
Eh, GSC still has nenderoids and figmas to keep them afloat, both of which are still reasonably priced. They also have partnerships with Blizzard, Marvel, DC, and Disney, though same can be said for Kotobukiya when it comes to Marvel and DC.

I would be shocked if Alter wasn't affected though. When I think of overpriced, Alter comes to mind first, though I'm bias due to being a Tales/Vanillaware fan.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
though same can be said for Kotobukiya when it comes to Marvel and DC.
Don't forget Hasbro. The new MLP and GI Joe bishoujo lines should do them some good.

I would be shocked if Alter wasn't affected though. When I think of overpriced, Alter comes to mind first, though I'm bias due to being a Tales/Vanillaware fan.

Alter can't be beat in terms of quality and sculpt, but their pricing seriously needs to be reconsidered.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
Rin from Catherine Full Body is painted.

Agon1557800679.jpeg

Not bad, but I feel like the colors they went with make her look a little bland. Easy pass on this one. If they make Katherine, that'd be a different story.
That figure looks quite nice. I think the light subdued colors help to give an innocent vibe. I haven't played the game though, so I'm not ordering it for the moment.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
bishoujo Michael Myers came in today. Hoping they announce more entries for the horror bishoujo line soon.
probably my favorite of the horror line so far

Man it just dawned on me how dead this thread is compared to when it first started. Wonder how much of it is just people saying "Fuck figures" because of the steep rise in prices. Even the MFC thread doesn't get much traffic anymore.
I'm slowing down because of the lack of room for it. Boxes take up so much space

Last edited:

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I've been getting a bunch of small trading figures just to stave off me going after the scales, but I just finished getting all of the ones I wanted(all of the Alicesoft&Fire Emblem ones ever released), so it's back to this.

In a few months time I'll be getting Leaf(Pokemon), Masou Shizuka(Rance10), and Uesugi Kenshin(Rance10). Until then, I'm just trying to refrain from purchasing more.

While new ones are expensive, past figures have gotten cheaper, so I might start going more in that direction. There's a few I want that now demand ridiculous prices, but the fast majority are $80-$120. Reminds me of the good old days.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was in one of the glass case stores in Kyoto yesterday. Didn't find anything I was after but I'm glad that I don't collect love live. Had Alters line of the OG members at 20+k each. They looked amazing in person though

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just got my Tsuyu from MHA figure in. Looks okay. I've just been stuffing them in my closet while I try to figure out where to put them (in a case) eventually. I've got about four scale figures so far and a few more preordered.

I can see why sales are down from the above posts. Shit is way too expensive and if you miss one of them, you're pretty much screwed in most cases unless you can find them in good condition used. It makes you feel compelled to buy/preorder them.

I think once I get the two I'm getting in September, I'm done buying these for awhile. Borderline $200+ per figure when you factor in shipping. I'm lucky that I have an okay amount of expendable income so I can afford these but it's starting to seem like a bottomless pit if I wanted to try to get every figure I liked. Not sustainable. Lol.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Think I might wind up getting the new Bishoujo Sakura after all. Saw some new pictures and her face looks much better than I thought.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm weak so a lot of Nendoroid and Figma stuff is still getting me. Well, I mean, I guess if a few each month it seems counts as a lot. They've been targeting my weakness with too much videogame stuff...

Also, the Re-ment Terrarium stuff, which I just cannot resist. I wish they were just a touch higher quality in how they fit together, but they're just so damn adorable that I can't help but get all the Kirby and Pokemon ones! And I actually don't think I'm alone in my love of them as the last couple of times I've shown off my stuff to someone new, THOSE are what catch their eyes rather than the actual expensive, high quality stuff, haha!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm weak so a lot of Nendoroid and Figma stuff is still getting me. Well, I mean, I guess if a few each month it seems counts as a lot. They've been targeting my weakness with too much videogame stuff...
RIP

With scales not selling as well now, I think that's where GSC is going to put the bulk of their efforts since those are cheaper and easier for people to justify to themselves from a financial perspective.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm going to Osaka tomorrow. Will be doing most of my shopping in Tokyo but are there any recommendations for figurine and/or gunpla shops? My wife would love to find some Atelier or Tales figures

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's a Morgana Nendoroid on sale on eBay, brand new, for $14.50. Seller says they don't accept returns. They've sold 17 and have 2 remaining.

Should I go with my gut and assume it's a scam or bootleg? Seller has 100% positive feedback.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There's a Morgana Nendoroid on sale on eBay, brand new, for $14.50. Seller says they don't accept returns. They've sold 17 and have 2 remaining.

Should I go with my gut and assume it's a scam or bootleg? Seller has 100% positive feedback.
Of course it's a bootleg. No Nendo is that cheap besides some 10-year-old ones like Nanoha and Milky Holmes. Especially not an in demand one from a popular IP.
Plus ebay

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah if someone is selling a figure for $100 under its current value, I personally wouldn't even bother looking up if it's legit or not.

I'd just avoid it.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Oh man. Did I fuck up?

I preordered the Uraraka figure from My Hero Academia on Amiami back in October.

It was just ready for payment/shipping this morning. I noticed my payment method was set to PayPal for some reason. I changed it back to my credit card with modify order and now it needs a new invoice sent during business hours. It's no longer awaiting payment. Ugh.

I personally don't care about the figure if it got canceled because of this. Another company revealed a second one coming out in September that looks way better. I'd just preorder that one. I'm more worried about my account getting banned or something since I've heard Amiami does that.

I've still got two figures preordered for September so I'd be pissed if my account got banned. 😭

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Is this through AmiAmi? If so they'll just send you a new payment request.

Yeah, it's Amiami. That's a relief. Thanks.

I was just worried the order was doomed because I modified the order so close to the shipping/release date and they'd just give it to someone else.

My one friend said Amiami is super strict and your account standing can go south pretty easily with them (especially if you cancel orders). I only recently got into buying these so I wasn't very sure.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Yeah, it's Amiami. That's a relief. Thanks.

I was just worried the order was doomed because I modified the order so close to the shipping/release date and they'd just give it to someone else.

My one friend said Amiami is super strict and your account standing can go south pretty easily with them (especially if you cancel orders). I only recently got into buying these so I wasn't very sure.

I nearly thought of cancelling an order from AmiAmi but decided to ask them if they can extend the payment deadline so I can make use of my credit card weekend cashback.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Well I got the second confirm payment email from Ami and then decided to risk it even further by combining it with a keychain order that became available yesterday too.

Hopefully that's not pushing it. I might as well save some money since importing a keychain remains one of the stupidest things I've ordered. You end up paying 3.5x the price of the keychain for just the shipping. I didn't think that one through. Lmao.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Yeah, Kotobukiya needs every cent.

If there's one figure company we need to save, it's Kotobukiya. Sure, their quality ain't the greatest, but they're like the one company that hasn't gone completely batshit insane with their pricing.

So what's everyone NOT buying these days?

PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING. Seriously, at this point I've almost been priced out of the hobby. I'm shifting my focus to grabbing stuff from the past I missed.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING. Seriously, at this point I've almost been priced out of the hobby. I'm shifting my focus to grabbing stuff from the past I missed.
You mean you aren't jazzed about dropping nearly $200 on a single scale? Some hardcore fan you are!

I've been collecting on and off for nearly six years and yeah, prices are nuts. Right now I'm dipping my toe back in after a multi-hiatus because there have been some figures I've seen I just can't say no to. Luckily those come far, few, and in between so it's not too bad on the wallet. I feel awful for people who still cop multiple scales at a time though.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one figure company we need to save, it's Kotobukiya. Sure, their quality ain't the greatest, but they're like the one company that hasn't gone completely batshit insane with their pricing.
They are also one of the few Japanese companies releasing high quality figures for older or less popular franchises, stuff you can't really expect from Alter and the like. I mean, they are even releasing a Prof. Oak figure. But maybe that's one of the reasons they are having trouble lately.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Kotobukiya is cool. When they release a character that another company, like Alter, has released, it's always worse. But as you said, the price is way better. Both company's Velvet Crowe are good examples.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
MASS QUOTE TIME -

To be honest I love Kotobukiya. I've never had issues with their quality.

I've always had a soft spot for them since a lot of my earliest scales were Koto ones. Still, even in my collecting infancy, I immediately noticed the difference between my Kotobukiya figs and my first Alter (their super old 1/8 Hikaru from Peace@Pieces).

Getting your first Alter scale's an eye-opening experience, I tell you what.

You mean you aren't jazzed about dropping nearly $200 on a single scale? Some hardcore fan you are!

The plastic gods will never forgive me for my sin!

They are also one of the few Japanese companies releasing high quality figures for older or less popular franchises, stuff you can't really expect from Alter and the like. I mean, they are even releasing a Prof. Oak figure. But maybe that's one of the reasons they are having trouble lately.

This is very true. A big reason I'm not collecting as much (aside from costs) is that I'm not keeping up with what's popular with the youngsters, so I don't know or care about many of the characters getting figures these days. I mean... not that that's stopped me in the past, but it's harder to justify buying a $200+ figure of a neat-looking character you know nothing about as opposed to a $100 one.

Kotobukiya is cool. When they release a character that another company, like Alter, has released, it's always worse. But as you said, the price is way better. Both company's Velvet Crowe are good examples.

Man, Kotobukiya's Velvet and Mikleo look like complete ass compared to Alter's. It's kinda sad since Kotobukiya used to be THE Tales figure company back in the day. The One Coin blind box figure sets, the Tales of Phantasia scales...