• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Is mandrake THE site to search for garage kits? I've never really been into asian figures, but I randomly found a kit that I would pay any amount of money for, but from all the searching I did I couldn't find any evidence of it ever being for sale. But I'm totally new to this, so maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.

That or Yahoo Auctions I guess :p

Such garage kits are most of the times just sold at events like WonFes directly so unless you're actually there you won't be able to get it. Unless somebody resells a kit they've bought at such event of course.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Is mandrake THE site to search for garage kits? I've never really been into asian figures, but I randomly found a kit that I would pay any amount of money for, but from all the searching I did I couldn't find any evidence of it ever being for sale. But I'm totally new to this, so maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.

This is the one I'm looking for: https://myfigurecollection.net/item/101230
Like MikeHattsu have said, Yahoo JP auction and Mandarake are the the better places to search for garage kits from Japanese events like WonFes. If the figure is something way too niche or too popular, it will become difficult to find. So it is entirely up to luck if you can encounter the one you want on those sites afterwards.

In your case, as this is a kit done by Chinese sculptor, I also check TaoBao but have no luck finding it. The kit is called 浮云姬 云初音.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I should wait it out. I had Pyra pre ordered and i got the payment request for her on the 24th of december with a release set at 31 december prior to that. So in my experience it's just gonna be a last minute thing.

I also have Mythra ordered so i'm in the same boat.

Amazon JP took my money and shipped Pyra around the same time you mentioned. They did send me an email more towards the beginning of December though to let me know it would be shipping around then, so there was good notice ahead of time. That's what prompted my question here about Mythra, since I have not seen that type of notice from them yet. Would be cool if it ends up being a last minute thing though. Looking forward to completing the set! :)

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
My order is confirmed!!! Holy shit I cannot believe this. I finally got my hands on her! Literally jumped up from the chair.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
That or Yahoo Auctions I guess :p

Such garage kits are most of the times just sold at events like WonFes directly so unless you're actually there you won't be able to get it. Unless somebody resells a kit they've bought at such event of course.
Like MikeHattsu have said, Yahoo JP auction and Mandarake are the the better places to search for garage kits from Japanese events like WonFes. If the figure is something way too niche or too popular, it will become difficult to find. So it is entirely up to luck if you can encounter the one you want on those sites afterwards.

In your case, as this is a kit done by Chinese sculptor, I also check TaoBao but have no luck finding it. The kit is called 浮云姬 云初音.

Wow, thanks both for the info and especially for that Chinese title, I guess that's my best way of searching for it. Though I see it's a pretty old kit, so I guess my chances are slim.

Man, I've been browsing some of the more commonly mentioned sites and almost all of the stuff I really like turns out to be GKs. Looks like the Asian market is incredibly strong in that part, but worldwide accessibility is pretty poor.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Nishikino Maki from LoveLive sculpted by French Doll. He sculpted the entire original LoveLive set and all of them are beautiful works. But only Maki gives me the feeling of love at first sight. The paint job will require a ton of work and skills, but I really need to get my hands on her. She is downright stunning.
https://myfigurecollection.net/item/324644

So pure. Can't wait to see work on it done after you finish the hexagear.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been browsing some of the more commonly mentioned sites and almost all of the stuff I really like turns out to be GKs. Looks like the Asian market is incredibly strong in that part, but worldwide accessibility is pretty poor.
Haha, not really. There are not many sculptors working on anime figures outside Japan. In most cases, garage kits = works that are not mass produced by companies. Artists need to get licenses from IP owner (eg. manga writers, publishers) to sell them at these events, so basically they are fan works. Usually they are sold in small number like 20 per event. These artists can reproduce the same figure for multiple events, but the IP owners can always reject the request for license, and there is also a rule (for WonFes at least) that the same figure cannot be sold for more than 4 times.

As they are limited, some people may resort to sites like e2046. These sites purchase the original kit and reproduce them without the consent of both artists and IP owners, so this is purely piracy. You may be able to find your kits on these sites, but I would not recommend them for obvious reason.
So pure. Can't wait to see work on it done after you finish the hexagear.
Ah man, actually I am working on multiple projects. My current top priority is to learn how to sculpt a figure. It is something I have been working on for a year, but it is no easy task. I build Voltrex for leisure so the progress is really slow. Hopefully I will get to paint her soon.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Most people just want a finished figure to display. Almost all garage kits are unpainted and/or unassembled so you'll need to glue/sand/paint it yourself which wouldn't exactly look good if you don't know what you're doing. :P

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, I'm aware, and even though I did dabble a bit in sculpting and painting, I'd prefer to get a finished piece as well. But there just aren't any for the stuff I really like :)

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA

This is the one I'm looking for: https://myfigurecollection.net/item/101230

manofrefinedtastes.jpg

I see that one every time I'm looking through the Miku's picking out what to put on my wishlist, it's an amazing figure. Good luck on your hunt!

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone have any good sources for led lighting on figure displays? I'm a little new to it and I want to find something that can work in my Besta bookcase without causing too much heat or looking too dim. I also have some detolfs but that isn't as much of a priority.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FIGURE-046388.jpg

19,250JPY

Fuck this planet. The Tales tax is real.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alter's fuckin trippin on this one. I see them trying to justify Yuri's price considering he comes with Repede, but this is just super blatant bullshittery.
Only remote justification is that she comes with an additional daemon claw option, but it's not worth fucking 20k. I'm out, until I drunk buy it on biginjapan or something.

It's 17990 on BiginJapan. Hmm...

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
This might be an odd question, but does anyone know if Bring Arts figure heads are generally removable without causing damage? I know Nenderoid ones can be, but I got the Neku Bring Arts Figure and while I typically keep a lot of my figures boxed, Neku's head was disconnected. I don't know if its normal or actually damaged and don't particularly want to remove the figure to find out. I'm not super familiar with them outside of a couple.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Mythra is officially delayed from February to March.

Delayed from February 2019 to March 2019
Good Smile Company - Mythra (JAN:4580416940580)

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Damn it AmiAmi, why are your pre-owned prices so irresistible on harder to find scales, when I know getting 6 of them at once will make for outrageous shipping?

.......I mean I still placed my order but you know.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Living life dangerously here... I placed an order for two expensive figures off ebay, the Capcom Figure Builder Creator's Model figures for Mizutsune and Glavenus. I got into the line at the end of last year, and I just really, really needed those guys, enough to say screw it. They're coming from Japan, in the right price range you'd expect, from what look like reputable sellers, so hopefully it'll all go alright, but yeah... not super fond of doing things this way.

(They're doing reprints for the line recently, but those two are fairly recent figures anyway and feel currently more game specific rather than franchise wide monsters, so I wasn't certain they'd make it to reprints, and even if they do, it'll likely be a good long while. Gore Magala and Brachydios, though, are primed for rerelease I'd say and hopefully will come soon, as I really want those guys, but I'm not ebaying like MSRP $100 figures for over $400.)

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, I just got a couple disney ones and I think they're really great. I mean, I never really bought any prize figures before, but for $25 shipped a pop they seem hard to beat.

EVc3GB5.jpg

DpgD7PB.jpg

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nishina Saki by A+ is up for pre-order. Lewd, so no pictures or links.

She's going to be 1/6 and about 30 cm high, so I expected her to cost close to ¥20k... but HS has her for ¥15k.

Shocking+truth+_0ea5d3_5294691.gif

Also, Japanese product descriptions always crack me up:

We faithfully reproduced the flesh of the buttocks and thighs that were just broken!
Wat.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Ended up caving and POed that Pop Up Parade Miku, I really want that new Seaside/Japanese Garden display GSC announced and I didn't have anything else coming out in June to justify the shipping.....so in the box goes Miku.