• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pepper Lunch is a Japanese style restaurant. We have them here in Australia, but it's much cheaper in Philippines.

Dinuguan is probably my favourite Filipino dish. It's the best when it doesn't include the pork fat though.

Sisig is a treat if you can try it before learning of the contents. Then after you have acquired the taste for it, you won't mind.

Fresh buko juice is also awesome.

Sisig doesn't contain any ingredient that can be considered weird to eat. I'm talking about the classic recipe of pork sisig of course, not a derivative sisig recipe.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I though sisig is made from pig face?

I'm not Filipino, so it was strange to me when I was there :)

A lot of countries that cook whole roasted pork eat the meat on the pig's head, like the face and ears, so I don't think that's weird lol.

And yes, sisig is basically the meat and skin of pork face and pork ears that is chopped and diced after grilling.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I see that PBS Frontline has released their episode about Duterte's war on drugs. It's called "On The President Orders" and has gathered a bunch of praise in the international press.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of countries that cook whole roasted pork eat the meat on the pig's head, like the face and ears, so I don't think that's weird lol.

And yes, sisig is basically the meat and skin of pork face and pork ears that is chopped and diced after grilling.

It is delicious. I think the times I had it was cooked with coconut oil, so it gives it a distinct taste.

Something I didn't try, but I might just make myself is kwek kwek.

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I talked about two posts up. It's pretty good.

Ah sorry. I'm getting confused when I saw this. PBS has a condensed version that runs 54 minutes. When I searched for it, the documentary that its based on appeared and it supposed to run 70+ minutes. I wonder what they took out?

But I'm currently watching it. So far it seems kinda centrist? Showing both sides kinda thing hopefully it delves deeper into the problems the war is causing. But OMG the cinematography is sooo good albeit artificial when its focusing on individuals

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been waiting ages on this Pixar Short Story that is made by Filipinos and feature Filipino characters. About a dad and his son. It's called Float, and apparently it comes out with the launch of Disney+.

Ah sorry. I'm getting confused when I saw this. PBS has a condensed version that runs 54 minutes. When I searched for it, the documentary that its based on appeared and it supposed to run 70+ minutes. I wonder what they took out?
Oh, I did not know it was a condensed version, that's unfortunate.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here living in Luzon, especially the southern part near Taal volcano? Stay safe.

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
One my friends is a teacher in Manila and is currently looking for a new job, but their current (and first) employment was only found through direct application so they don't know how to look for another job. Can anyone recommend agencies or websites for job listings that i can send to them?

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
Had a good time in the Philippines. Lots of red horse (0 places that listed foreign beer had any in stock, always red horse and sanmig), tried some local craftbeer (fat pauly's from Iligan), lots of malls everywhere. Karne plate at Boy Zugba was great... went multiple times to the one in ayala centrio mall in CDO. That chorizo with cheese in it, oh my. :O

I had lechon a couple of times and I am sad to say that I really don't get it. It is definitely not for me.

Oh, saw this post on reddit about a filipino game in development... not much to see yet but I dig the vibe in the short video and the description. Not sure about scrolling through facebook feeds in a video game though.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you had a decent time visiting our little island here down south, although you still have to visit Davao and some of our beaches here. :)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Uuugghh, the peanut butter here is terrible. The roasted peanuts are great, why can't they just grind those up and not put tons of sugar in it?

Oct 30, 2017
Grabe, ngayon ko lang ito nadiskubre: https://www.lascasasfilipinas.com

I'm surprised it's not up there compared to the usual tourist spots like Intramuros or Boracay. It looks a lot better than, let's say, Calle Crisólogo in Vigan, albeit less "authentic"—I say this since apparently these houses were dismantled, transported, reassembled, and restored. Plus, they're mostly just glorified hotels. But it still looks like a good place to stay and explore, while still having that feeling of "I'm in a Hispanic town but in Asia."

Haven't been in the Philippines since 2011, and I'm kind of planning to go again later this year or earlier next year with a friend or two. But discovering Las Casas kind of makes me want to go there sooner. Haha.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
i realize this thread isn't very active, but i figure i might as well cross-post this here:

this is gonna be a major stretch, but are there any filipino sneaker heads on here that live on the islands? woke up the other morning to a w on the white sacais from commonwealth... not realizing the raffle had been held by their branch in the philippines and they only ship within the country 😂

i considered finding a reshipper but after checking out the rates to send stuff out of the country even without that additional cost... oy vey

so i tried to explain to cw what happened and i don't think they understood lol bc they just sent me an invoice. they don't have my cc info, so it's no loss to me if i don't pay, but if anyone actually in the philippines is interested, i can forward you the invoice and they are yours! no finders fee or anything. just gotta act quick bc it expires on the 12th.

sorry for the novel about my dumbass mistake but i figured it was worth asking here :)