• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to plan a trip for next June. I am very happy about all the details you've told me about on the last page. It will come in handy when I prepare next summer.

My plan then is to do as was said on the last page, to get used to the public transport and jeepneys. I plan on just walking around Metro Manila and see where the different jeepneys take me, and how their routes work. It will come in pretty handy going forward I can imagine.

Man, I miss Philippines like crazy. And my family a whole lot. I'll just visit my lolo and lola's graves next June too.

Oct 27, 2017
We're in the pal lounge waiting for our flight back to Canada. I wanted to thank folks who recommended restaurants earlier in the thread. In the end, there weren't many meals where we could pick restaurants, due to having a lot of family to visit who were always feeding us, but we took a bunch of people out to Manam a couple of nights ago and enjoyed it a lot. Thanks John Marston for suggesting it. The sisig and sinigang were so good!

I'm pretty sad to be leaving. Things I learned this visit: even repellent doesn't help me deter mosquitoes. Also, I am never booking any Cebu Pacific flights ever again. The two flights we booked with them were both cancelled, one when we were waiting at the gate, and the other five hours before departure. They just suck. Luckily we were able to get our connection, but if PAL didn't have room we would have had to get a 12 hour bus and adjust every other flight on our list.

It seems like they have a rep for being super unreliable. Wish I'd learned it before but now we know!

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
How was Christmas for everybody there in the Philippines?

Here there's been a lot of reporting about a typhoon, and a bus in the North that was in an incident.

My love and thoughts goes out to all of the affected families.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some bad/tragic news during the holidays. The typhoon in the south, the bus/jeepney accident in the north (very likely it's the jeep driver's fault based on what I've seen in the news - overtaking/high speed and some are saying even drunk), and the Mall fire in Davao where 30+ call center employees got trapped and died.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me when me and my mother took a jeepney in Ilocos Norte, and the young driver decided to race through the traffic so we ended up driving two wheels (one side only). Everybody asked to leave the jeepney and get their money back. It was disrespectful putting all of us in danger like that.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually busy playing with my Switch and Sleeping that I didn't even hear about those news. My deepest sympathy to those who are affected.

I don't usually mingle with relatives so I just enjoyed the food.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I actively dread our annual family reunion. I just feel like going home and sleeping after like 10 minutes making small-ass talk with strangers I have nothing in common with.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit I haven't kept up with what's been going on since November. Is anything new going on in my beloved Philippines?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017

I want to discuss actually the future of eSports and how drug testing should be incorporated like other sports, but sadly the thread devolved into one of the "F Duterte" threads.

I thought you said in the other thread you'd rather let this topic stay dead.lol

"Rather than discussing mudslinging politics"

It's ok to discuss politics, but if it devolves in just mudslinging quotes and sarcastic remarks, then I prefer it to be dead. For now, I just want to say hi.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I want to discuss actually the future of eSports and how drug testing should be incorporated like other sports, but sadly the thread devolved into one of the "F Duterte" threads.
This forum is still technically Neogaf, the moment you mention that name some people are just incapable of looking beyond that.

Oh and the train tax law is on its way, so yeah.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
This forum is still technically Neogaf, the moment you mention that name some people are just incapable of looking beyond that.

Oh and the train tax law is on its way, so yeah.

Yeah I fully agree that this forum is not at all different from Neogaf. I didn't participate on that thread because I know how it would boil down.

As for the Tax law, it's 9% good, 91% bad. Excise tax for oils is the most damaging one.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I wish more people would realize (particularly foreigners) when talking about the drug situation in the Philippines, is that one of the reasons why Duterte's drug war still has support from a lot of Filipinos, is the criminality caused by drug users (theft, rape, murder, abductions, etc.). Due process and upholding the law is definitely important though.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked for us to be featured on the Community OT list, and to get a Spotlight as well.

Did we have a new OT title for our community that I could ask them to change as well?

How's my fellow Filipino brothers and sisters doing in the new year? :)

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Same old, same old. Dreading the approaching summer. Looking forward to the Jollibee tuna pie every Lent.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know there's a pinoy centric forum here, happy to make this a home. I don't really like summer here, it's basically sauna without aircon

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Jollibee arrived in Lucban finally. It saddens me as the only big corporate garbage tainting my wife's town was Seven Eleven (eh just one, its cool) and one Duncan donuts. Oh and of course Buddy's but Buddy's is FROM Lucban :)

My poor niece is eating too much Jollibee now :(

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this on the recent Duterte post on the EtcetEra. I know we also had a Filipino thread on the old forum, and I used to post there until my busy schedule got the better of me. Anyway, nice to meet you all!

I dread summer if it's already this hot this early in. :/

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
What a sad time for Metro Manila and Cebu ride sharing community. Uber leaving SEA market means higher fare for the riders and harder to earn for the drivers.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Beer Capital of the World
Hello Filipino ERA

I'm heading over to Cebu City, Bohol, and Bacolod next month. Is there anything I should check out in particular? I've never been to the region. Usually, I'm in the south, I was there last year during the Mall Fire and Typhoons.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
The whale sharking is a question of morality, but ... I mean... I enjoyed it. That's such an obvious one that you undoubtable already read of it though.

Kawasan Falls is also not all that far away from cebu city, went there for a weekend with my work and enjoyed it. For a cool hangout spot at night in cebu, iamik's Chicken & Beer is very chill and cool guys working there, at tres borces street in mabolo. decent cheap food, cheap alcohol and just a great atmosphere.

In Bohol there is also all the obvious, take an atv and drive around the chocolate hills and so on. Also if you visiting any of the touristy beaches, there is lots of local guys offering to take you out on boat so some pretty special small islands around bohol.

Never went to Bacolod.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Did any of you notice the Philippines in the new Avengers: Infinity War movie?

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
The whale sharking is a question of morality, but ... I mean... I enjoyed it. That's such an obvious one that you undoubtable already read of it though.

Kawasan Falls is also not all that far away from cebu city, went there for a weekend with my work and enjoyed it. For a cool hangout spot at night in cebu, iamik's Chicken & Beer is very chill and cool guys working there, at tres borces street in mabolo. decent cheap food, cheap alcohol and just a great atmosphere.

In Bohol there is also all the obvious, take an atv and drive around the chocolate hills and so on. Also if you visiting any of the touristy beaches, there is lots of local guys offering to take you out on boat so some pretty special small islands around bohol.

Never went to Bacolod.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out, well maybe not the whale shark thing.

Did any of you notice the Philippines in the new Avengers: Infinity War movie?

Nope, but thanks for mentioning it. I had to look it up after I saw it today.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Era members in the Philippines, doing a bit of research on local delivery websites (Mcdo, Jollibee, Food Panda, etc.). Which websites do you use most often? Any standout website features or very evident problems? Thanks!

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's dead, bury it. Lol.

I'm not keeping up with Filipino news anymore cause it frustrated me to no end.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
me and a friend are looking to stay in cebu for 3 weeks or so around christmas and new years eve. been almost 3 years since I have been in the Philippines at this rate, so can't wait.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
me and a friend are looking to stay in cebu for 3 weeks or so around christmas and new years eve. been almost 3 years since I have been in the Philippines at this rate, so can't wait.

I wish I had more time in Cebu during this last trip. Definitely some good food and drink over there. If you're into craft beer, Turning Wheels and Baguio Craft Breweries satellite tasting rooms were spot on, unlike my last trip through Davao. I wasn't able to hit Cebruery due to time constraints and I thought it was far away lol. Restaurant-wise, I did the trifecta of Lechon places there with Rico's, Zubuchon, and CnT. Got to say I liked Rico's the best, but CnT wasn't bad either for what it was. All of them were better than the Lechon I had in Bacolod for sure. The best restaurant though was Anzani for sure. Excellent steak and wine and if you're earning in ¥€$ it's priced relatively cheap in that sense.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
I lived there for some time (with the friend I am going with), so we have visited most of the recommended places there. Anzani is indeed great. But our favorite is still iamiks chicken and beer. The food is ordinary, but the atmosphere and cheap booze makes up for it.... and that's really what we are going there for mostly, having a good time with friends in the area we haven't seen for a while.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Oh ffs.

7mPKKA8.jpg

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Terrence Romeo doesn't have a lot of brainpower going on. That's been pretty clear for a while now. I was actually watching the game but tuned out during the 2nd quarter since Gilas was already down 30 lol.

But then that brawl in the 3rd, WTF. Such a terrible look for Gilas Pilipinas. Can't support that shit. And all of the other things going on behind the scenes/before the game/during warm-ups aside and just focusing on the main incident alone, the whole thing was really instigated by RR Pogoy's shoving/elbow to one of the australian players in the 3rd, w/ that Kickert dude retaliating and all hell breaking loose. And coaching staff/other Gilas personnel, instead of pacifying the situation even joined in on the fight! Fucking morons. You can compare this to the Australian staff which really prohibited their players from going to the court.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
What have people in the Philippines been saying after this basketball incident?

offcast

Oct 28, 2017
I just found out that Popeye's used to be in the Philippines and there was a branch fairly close to where I live. I know the fried chicken game here is strong, but it still hurts :(

Pogi

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all, any of you know some PC part sellers in 'Pinas that are not ridiculous with RAM stick pricing, I bought my 8GB RAM DDR stick at 2,500PHP back in 2016 and it still fucking 5K in my city. I just want at least 4k max for this thing. I tried everything TipidPC (can't because NCR-centric, and if I Manila I don't have time to stroll across NCR to meet up), local Facebook Groups (can't because fucking shits flood me with gluta and networking posts, and the moment somebody posts reasonable RAM for sale it is sold in a minute). Or do I have to wait?

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really thinking of just buying a ticket to the Philippines without even thinking about it. Just do it impulsively. I need 2 weeks vacation.