• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Notice: Remember to add this thread to your Watchlist, so we don't forget about each other and our community.

I didn't know where to place this, but seeing as Asian Era has set its roots down in Hangouts, I'll do the same. On the old forum I know there were plenty of Filipino people or posters with relations to the people or country itself, so I am hoping most of those guys has set foot on Resetera, because there's plenty to discuss and talk about.

I've been studying the Swedish OT and it seems like they are posting in their own language, so feels free to converse in Tagalog, Visayan or any other dialect of our country. Creating this community thread, I can't help but mention our new president, Rodrigo Duterte, who currently takes up much of the discussion, but there's also many other things to discuss. Are you preparing a trip to the Philippines? Ask away for advice or planning and I'm sure somebody will help you out, are you feeling inspired to taste some new delicacies, then there's plenty of rich dishes around here. Also, I can't help but mention Jollibee, best fast food chain there is! And it's also available in some US states.

I know there's a lot of movie buffs in Film Era and in the weekly Box Office threads, well I hope you'll find time to check out some of the Filipino movies as well. Norte: The End of a History is a 4 hour monster that is critically praised for its cinematography. Other popular romantic films are Barcelona: A Love Story and The Breakup Playlist. Are you looking for something a little bit more unique visually at least, there's Saving Sally currently playing on Channel 1; it mixes cartoon visuals with real actors. If we are looking to the future there's Dark is the Night which follows a family during the Duterte regime, and the Avengers spoof, The Revengers, which stars a handful of comedic celebrities and no other than Miss Universe 2015 winner Pia Alonso Wurtzbach as a superheroine.

Talking about Pia Wurtzbach, she's currently still the big thing in the Philippines, and has landed some attractive contracts and is also the first ambassador of the Miss Universe organisation. She got plenty of work and you can follow her on various social media like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. You can also participate in supporting our "Queen" and be part of the Pianatics who are some incredibly dedicated and amazing people. She also appeared in the music video "So Long" by Massari, unfortunately I am not in on the musical scenes and can't recommend any. Is football (soccer) more your thing, then fans all over the country is working hard to get more people interested in the sport, and showing real passion for the sport. Unfortunately the broadcasters seem to fail the league a bit at the moment, and interest is low. Hopefully that changes.

What else is currently happening in the Philippines? Do you have experiences to share? Then this is the place!

Maraming salamat!

32psar.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I live there and it ain't really fun.
Yeah, it was probably a dumb thread title on my part and I apologize. Just thought I would use the country's official slogan, but seeing the current political landscape, and those damn EJK's, it can't be much fun living there in certain parts of the country. I hope you are okay, and my heart goes out to you and all of your relatives and everyone in the Philippines.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was probably a dumb thread title on my part and I apologize. Just thought I would use the country's official slogan, but seeing the current political landscape, and those damn EJK's, it can't be much fun living there in certain parts of the country. I hope you are okay, and my heart goes out to you and all of your relatives and everyone in the Philippines.
It's cool, lol. You could just edit it later on. I couldn't think of anything clever either haha.

With all the things that are happening here, it's still fun here in Metro Manila (severe traffic aside). To be honest, I still feel somehow safe. Media always make it appear worse than it is.

Also, I don't like Jollibee except for their fried chicken. lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey maybe this is the place to ask. I'm going to be headed over to visit family in early November (mom's side of the family is Filipino).

I remember reading somewhere that Duterte was going to enact a smoking ban in public spaces. However, I have not really been able to get details about what these entail and the rules I should be following to avoid getting into trouble. If any of you can elaborate that would be really helpful! Seriously I have a bit of anxiety going there at the moment; the last time I visited was a bit before he was elected.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool, lol. You could just edit it later on. I couldn't think of anything clever either haha.

With all the things that are happening here, it's still fun here in Metro Manila (severe traffic aside). To be honest, I still feel somehow safe. Media always make it appear worse than it is.

Also, I don't like Jollibee except for their fried chicken. lol.
I know that family members of mine that live in Cavite, Makati etc. feel safe too. Didn't the police force operate more in the slums? That's my impression at least. And I heard Duterte took them off the "drug war" recently and put some other force on it, and they're already saying they don't have the staff to handle it. I also read that the president wants to modernize the jeepneys and all drivers must update theirs before January. Is that something that could help the traffic in some ways?

And about Jollibee, I can eat anything they serve there. I even love their normal burgers more than what we got at McDonalds and KFC here. Last year I even learned you can order take-out anywhere and they'll deliver no matter where you live, although I would rather just go there myself.

Btw, talking about "Metro Manila," I watched that movie (from 2013) a few days ago and it was very interesting. Basic plot really, but it's so relatable when it's about a farmer who has to move his family to Manila to find a place to live and a job. It's too close to heart, and was a little tough to watch at times but I still recommend it, decent movie.

Do you mind me asking which part of the Philippines you're from?

Hey maybe this is the place to ask. I'm going to be headed over to visit family in early November (mom's side of the family is Filipino).

I remember reading somewhere that Duterte was going to enact a smoking ban in public spaces. However, I have not really been able to get details about what these entail and the rules I should be following to avoid getting into trouble. If any of you can elaborate that would be really helpful! Seriously I have a bit of anxiety going there at the moment; the last time I visited was a bit before he was elected.
It depends what part of the Philippines you are going to visit. There's still very safe places there, but as you know, also places that aren't so lucky. Meanwhile I'll ask my family about the smoking ban.

Last edited:

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017

If you're going to Metro Manila, there are designated smoking areas (if you're going to smoke in public), they're quite rare though, you can usually ask the locals or mall security guards if there's one around. They're usually strict if it's a public place especially if it's a mall or park.

I know that family members of mine that live in Cavite, Makati etc. feel safe too. Didn't the police force operate more in the slums? That's my impression at least. And I heard Duterte took them off the "drug war" recently and put some other force on it, and they're already saying they don't have the staff to handle it. I also read that the president wants to modernize the jeepneys and all drivers must update theirs before January. Is that something that could help the traffic in some ways?

And about Jollibee, I can eat anything they serve there. I even love their normal burgers more than what we got at McDonalds and KFC here. Last year I even learned you can order take-out anywhere and they'll deliver no matter where you live, although I would rather just go there myself.

Btw, talking about "Metro Manila," I watched that movie (from 2013) a few days ago and it was very interesting. Basic plot really, but it's so relatable when it's about a farmer who has to move his family to Manila to find a place to live and a job. It's too close to heart, and was a little tough to watch at times but I still recommend it, decent movie.

What part of the Philippines are you from if you don't mind me asking?

It depends what part of the Philippines you are going to visit. There's still very safe places there, but as you know, also places that aren't so lucky. Meanwhile I'll ask my family about the smoking ban.

Yeah, they usually operate in the slums, sometimes in higher class areas (I'm thinking that happens only if the authority did not receive any cut or something). So I think you should be safe if you're not involve with drugs or not an asshole in general.

I think their other stuff is a bit too sweet (like the mayo in their burgers). Fastfood restaurants here usually have a delivery, some of them even operate 24 hours with delivery. Ubereats will launch soon as well.

Haven't watch that but the title sounds indie which is probably good because mainstream stuff here are most of the time sucks.

Metro Manila, specifically Paranaque. But I my work is in BGC (Bonifacio Global City) in Taguig. I usually hangout in Makati since some of my bestfriends are in there. I technically grew up their since I studied there from kindergarten to college.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I asked a mod about the OT title, and we need to come up with a substitute and then they'll happily help us change it.

Haven't watch that but the title sounds indie which is probably good because mainstream stuff here are most of the time sucks.
Oh, by the way, that leads me to a question I've been pondering on for a while. Do you happen to know how one can import Filipino movies if I live abroad? I find that I have to travel to the Philippines and then buy my movies in local stores and take them with me home, and me and my mother really miss watching Filipino movies together sometimes, but have no way of buying them from Europe, unless family members are travelling home which is rarely.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the responses! :)

I'm going to be spending time in Northern Luzon for a couple of weeks too, with relatives who can advise me, and it's pretty safe there I believe. But my sister and I will be on our own in Manila, so I just want to be careful.

And as for fast food, I seriously love how all fast food chains in the Philippines have fried chicken & rice meals. I love it all. Except for the spaghetti, lol

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses! :)

I'm going to be spending time in Northern Luzon for a couple of weeks too, with relatives who can advise me, and it's pretty safe there I believe. But my sister and I will be on our own in Manila, so I just want to be careful.

And as for fast food, I seriously love how all fast food chains in the Philippines have fried chicken & rice meals. I love it all. Except for the spaghetti, lol
We are from Northern Luzon and it is safe there, and wonderful for a trip.

If you want a movie to check out before you travel, I believe the film Norte: The End of History (or "Hangganan ng kasaysayan" in Tagalog) is shot in Northern Luzon.

Asian Mexicans or Home of the Chicken Joy. lol
Why Asian Mexicans? Now I'm just curious lol.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, by the way, that leads me to a question I've been pondering on for a while. Do you happen to know how one can import Filipino movies if I live abroad? I find that I have to travel to the Philippines and then buy my movies in local stores and take them with me home, and me and my mother really miss watching Filipino movies together sometimes, but have no way of buying them from Europe, unless family members are travelling home which is rarely.

I actually don't have any idea (legally). Not sure if movies are available via streaming services but TV shows are there for sure.

Why Asian Mexicans? Now I'm just curious lol.
Mexicans and Filipinos really look similar lol. Both share Spanish culture too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's true, there is a similar taste in melodramas/telenovelas and a lot of remnants of that Spanish colonization in the food and in cultural attitudes between Philippines and Latin America, I think.

As a side note about northern Luzon, one thing I always miss is when in other areas of the Philippines is the longanisa style that is made with vinegar. Elsewhere it seems that the style is very sweet and so I want to eat longanisa with suka every day for breakfast when we're there lol.

Love Filipino food.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I wish I could have a relationship with my Fillipino cousin. She lives all the way in California and I haven't seen her since she was baby. It's a shame she's only 11 and she doesn't know anyone from her father's side of the family.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Mexicans and Filipinos really look similar lol. Both share Spanish culture too.

Yeah it's true, there is a similar taste in melodramas/telenovelas and a lot of remnants of that Spanish colonization in the food and in cultural attitudes between Philippines and Latin America, I think.
Can't say I've ever noticed this. But I don't know much about Mexican culture.

As a side note about northern Luzon, one thing I always miss is when in other areas of the Philippines is the longanisa style that is made with vinegar. Elsewhere it seems that the style is very sweet and so I want to eat longanisa with suka every day for breakfast when we're there lol.

Love Filipino food.
Longanisa is the best food ever, it's been my favorite food for years. I like the sweet ones, can't say I've tasted the one with vinegar.

Oct 27, 2017
Longanisa <3

The vinegar kind is great, it has more of a savory thing happening. The major seasonings are the vinegar and garlic, which as we know from adobo is a killer combo.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017

Love Filipino food.
Vigan longanisa, bruh. It's salty and meaty.
images

I don't like the sweet style longanisa too.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
JOLLIBEE! Great OT Pachi.

As I've mentioned to some before including Pachi, I'm not Filipino, but I'm a high school teacher in Hawaii where there is a larger Filipino population (I also used to live in SoCal where quite a few lived as well). I have many Filipino students, and I would love to learn more about the culture and more from this thread as well as my students. Maybe I'll be able to better connect with them! Anyways, I hope to participate in this thread as well as learn a thing or two.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Thugnificent!

I would also like to learn more myself.

I was born in Canada, and when I was little there was only a small community of Filipinos. We had a decent group and would perform folkdance and run food kiosks for community events, so I still remember how to dance tinikling and singkil from back then.

Now my mom is in poor health and moved back there to be close to the clan. So my sis and I have been going for visits every year or so. We stay a while in the province and then usually spend a few days in Manila to shop and decompress. I love hanging with the family, but damn, they are true drama hounds!

If anyone has recommendations for things to do or eat in Makati near glorietta mall I am all ears.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Thugnificent , never thought I'd see someone with a Jollibee avatar! :)

I actually like the smoking ban. Really can't have people smoking anywhere that they want to. General rule as another member has mentioned is that only smoke in designated smoking areas.

Hi Thugnificent
If anyone has recommendations for things to do or eat in Makati near glorietta mall I am all ears.

Oh man, so many places to visit and things to do in Makati. For the Glorietta/Greenbelt area, I'd recommend eating at:

Chilli's
Pepper Lunch
Conti's
Pancake House
Manam (amazing Filipino food in here).

Places to visit:

Ayala Triangle (park)
Ayala Museum

Go to century Mall too (just take an Uber from Glorietta) and eat at Early Bird Breakfast. Absolutely amazing Filipino food.

I asked a mod about the OT title, and we need to come up with a substitute and then they'll happily help us change it.

Filipino ERA | Is it More Fun in the Philippines?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Hey there, cheebdragonite here! I was born and raised in Malabon and Davao, but I've been living in Georgia in the United States for quite some time now. Last time I've been in the Philippines was a family vacation back in 2011, and it was great, despite it being hot and humid. I can speak fluent Tagalog and a little bit of Spanish, Chavacano, and Bisaya. Sa Internet lang ako gustong 'magsalita' ng Tagalog imbes na sa totoong buhay—nahihiya ako kasi! (I prefer to 'talk' in Tagalog in the Internet rather than in real life—I get embarrassed when I actually speak it!)

Speaking of food... I want me some lumpia. :)

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I was born in Canada, and when I was little there was only a small community of Filipinos. We had a decent group and would perform folkdance and run food kiosks for community events, so I still remember how to dance tinikling and singkil from back then.
Oh man, you brought up some memories. Here in Scandinavia we also danced tinikling in high school and showcased it to all the parents. I was so good at it but haven't danced it since being a child lol.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not filipino, and I'm not very familiar with the place and culture. But damn, Freddie Aguilar - Anak is so great.
I guess much of the world agrees, heard it randomly in a small bar in Hong Kong, after that in a recent korean movie. Then my thai gf said "this sounds just like a Carabao song" - turns out they were heavily inspired by it.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is from the Philippines and I've been there several times. It has been a few years now. Two questions.

Is that bullet in the backpack at the airport thing still going on? Last time I went it was a huge deal. We had to wrap up all of our luggage in Saran Wrap and going through the airport was one of the most nervewracking experiences I've ever had, just worrying about being falsely accused and thrown in jail.

Does anyone still like Al-Dub? Is it even a thing anymore?

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is that bullet in the backpack at the airport thing still going on? Last time I went it was a huge deal. We had to wrap up all of our luggage in Saran Wrap and going through the airport was one of the most nervewracking experiences I've ever had, just worrying about being falsely accused and thrown in jail.
They took care of that and it's no longer an issue. Thankfully.

I'm not filipino, and I'm not very familiar with the place and culture. But damn, Freddie Aguilar - Anak is so great.
I guess much of the world agrees, heard it randomly in a small bar in Hong Kong, after that in a recent korean movie. Then my thai gf said "this sounds just like a Carabao song" - turns out they were heavily inspired by it.
I'm gonna have to give this a listen. I know too little of Filipino music. The only times I've been listening to it is when my cousin listens to the radio while we drive around in the car.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Good thing "laglag bala" is over. That stuff was fucking ridiculous and out of control. Also a total embarrassment for the PH gov't and also its citizens.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that whole thing about the contraband being inserted into luggage was such a huge scandal and source of stress last time I was there. It was like all over the news to the point of being parodied and stuff but it was still actually happening. Glad to hear it isn't a problem anymore.

Oh man, you brought up some memories. Here in Scandinavia we also danced tinikling in high school and showcased it to all the parents. I was so good at it but haven't danced it since being a child lol.

I challenge you to a duel! (I probably can't last through the really fast parts at the end anymore lol)

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is from the Philippines and I've been there several times. It has been a few years now. Two questions.

Does anyone still like Al-Dub? Is it even a thing anymore?

1. That's over. I haven't heard any new victims so far. Yeah that was crazy.

2. I think the craze is over but I don't really watch TV. My grandmother is a superfan.

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there, Kabayans!
Moved with my parents and siblings to Canada 6 years ago, but even in that short time, I've gotten so out of touch with Filipino pop culture and general trends!
Looking forward to the eventual trip where I'd feel like a foreign tourist in the place I was born and raised in.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just thinking if there is this group here, and bam! There is.

Hello people. Kamusta?

edit:

As for OT title suggestions:

- We Bring ChickenJoy to the World
- Home of Crispy Pata and Crispy Memes

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a hard time finding Tagalog movie, no matter how hard I try. I tried the Pinoy Box Office membership on Amazon but some of the movies don't have English subtitles. I really want to watch A Secret Affair, it has such lovely music and it stars Anne Curtis.

There's so many Tagalog movies I want to see. Like The Mistress, Saving Sally, Manila etc.

Last edited:

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Local movies are mostly crap in my opinion, always catering to the lowest common denominator. At least there are a few movies here and there with actual substance and coherence and not just intent on making the audience "kilig" with every scene.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Local movies are mostly crap in my opinion, always catering to the lowest common denominator. At least there are a few movies here and there with actual substance and coherence and not just intent on making the audience "kilig" with every scene.
Can you name these movies? I would be interested in them.

Done!

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
^Try Kita Kita and Heneral Luna. Both are critically acclaimed and did good commercially because of good word of mouth.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
^Try Kita Kita and Heneral Luna. Both are critically acclaimed and did good commercially because of good word of mouth.
Thanks. I already got Heneral Luna. But I'll see if I can find Kita Kita somewhere.
It's actually not that important to me if the movies are good or bad, as I primarily watch as part of me learning the Tagalog language, but of course it'll improve the experience if the movies are good. I just happen to like anything with love or comedy in it, it just gets me in a good mood.