• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Film Comment is a noted and prestigious American film magazine. Every year they poll their critics and contributors for the best films of the year. These are the results.

1. Zama
  2. Burning
  3. First Reformed
  4. Roma
  5. Western
  6. Shoplifters
  7. Let the Sunshine In
  8. The Other Side of the Wind
  9. Happy as Lazzaro
  10. Hale County This Morning, This Evening
  11. Sorry to Bother You
  12. If Beale Street Could Talk
  13. The Rider
  14. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  15. Support the Girls
  16. You Were Never Really Here
  17. Monrovia, Indiana
  18. Personal Problems
  19. The Favourite
  20. BlacKkKlansman

You can visit their site for some articles, reviews, and interviews on these movies to learn more.
https://www.filmcomment.com/best-films-of-2018/

And, for reference, this was the previous year's top 10:
  1. Good Time Josh and Benny Safdie, USA
  2. A Quiet Passion Terence Davies, U.K./Belgium
  3. Personal Shopper Olivier Assayas, France
  4. Get Out Jordan Peele, USA
  5. Nocturama Bertrand Bonello, France
  6. Ex Libris: The New York Public Library Frederick Wiseman, USA
  7. The Death of Louis XIV Albert Serra, France/Portugal/Spain
  8. Faces Places Agnès Varda and JR, France
  9. The Lost City of Z James Gray, USA
  10. Lady Bird Greta Gerwig, USA
And, if anyone didn't see, here is a thread on Sight & Sound's best of 2018.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sight-sound-best-films-of-2018-countdown-currently-20-11.86136/

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Solid list and great to see Zama getting some love, absolutely amazing film. Surprised to see The Favourite being out from many top 10 lists, considering all they buzz.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
Solid list and great to see Zama getting some love, absolutely amazing film. Surprised to see The Favourite being out from many top 10 lists, considering all they buzz.
I wonder if people are slightly disappointed in it since it's a normal movie and not the bizarre outing that is typical from Lanthimos.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if people are slightly disappointed in it since it's a normal movie and not the bizarre outing that is typical from Lanthimos.
That's what I'm thinking as well. But for a period piece it's certainly not normal. Mary Queen of Scots is this years "straight" period movie. Kinda funny how nobody is talkng about it, poor Saoirse Ronan :(

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Some great choices in there. Haven't even heard of Zama and there are still a bunch on that list I've yet to check out.

First Reformed was one of the most idiotic, backwards and rushed films I've seen in a ling time.
Don't quote me.
mGhxaFc.gif

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'll have to try to catch up, I've only seen BlacKKKlansman on this list (missed Sorry to Bother You in theatres and keep putting off renting it). Hoping there are a few on Netflix/Prime since that makes seeing them a no-brainer. Sadly don't see Zama on Prime Video in Canada.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost impossible to see some of these films unless you live in a major metropolitan area. At the same time, I think I see a couple on that list that are actually funded by streaming services? The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was Netflix, wasn't it?

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Watched First Reformed a few days ago after hearing all the buzz months ago.

Its OK. Not the Oscar contender I thought it would be though.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen 19 of these (no Hale County This Morning, This Evening here until January)... Mostly good picks.

My top list for the year (not counting 2017 World premieres like First Reformed):

1. Support the Girls
2. Her Smell
3. The Sisters Brothers
4. Burning
5. The Favourite
6. The House That Jack Built
7. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
8. Damsel
9. Free Solo
10. The Image Book
11. Leave No Trace
12. Thunder Road
13. BlacKkKlansman
14. Hotel by the River
15. High Life
16. Infinite Football
17. The 15:17 to Paris
18. In Fabric

Technically 2017 films that would have made this list: Golden Exits, Let the Corpses Tan, The Rider, Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc, First Reformed, Gemini, The Wild Boys

Most likely to make the list among films I haven't seen yet: The Mule.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I loved You Were Never Really Here. Last good movie I saw this year, though I dropped off the films yearly in the year. I have yet to see Zama but the FC feature was excellent in hyping me for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very surprised Lean on Pete has gotten no shine in these year-end discussions. I understand the similarly equestrian-themed The Rider was good too, if not more naturalistic, but Andrew Haigh deserves better.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I get that everyone else loves the Coens etc etc but personally I was completely turned off with the volume of racism to indigenous people on display in Ballad, and I don't know if I'm going to support the brothers' work going forward considering this was the content in a passion project of theirs

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very surprised Lean on Pete has gotten no shine in these year-end discussions. I understand the similarly equestrian-themed The Rider was good too, if not more naturalistic, but Andrew Haigh deserves better.

its a top 10 for me, the lead kid was so good in it. and thankfully it was much more than just a "boy and his horse". depiction of poverty was pretty grounded. definitely went underlooked. if it came out later in the year maybe more people would have mentioned it? You Were Never Really Here also got pretty lost in the shuffle although its good to see it in this list

they got last year's number 1 right, definitely will check out Zama. Burning, Shoplifters, Beale Street and Support the Girls were already on the watchlist for me. will get to them when I can.

hope Ethan Hawke doesn't get overlooked for a nomination for First Reformed.