• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Just trying to think it through... What exactly does Daniel Ritchman think is unethical?

His original article is completely unsourced -- he doesn't even attempt to give any context as to where the date came from. Not even a "source familiar with the matters in Marvel Studios" or something. I'm not sure if 'SupeBroMovies' is supposed to be reputable -- but, like, it's a Wordpress.com site.

Is he just angry that the Twitter account interfered in his attempt to reap in those sweet, sweet clickbait ad dollars?

The bolded seems to hit the nail on the head.

If he tried to make this argument to my j-school prof, the reply would be "Write better headlines."

It's like the YouTubers who complain that YT isn't an easy mode money making machine anymore.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Good thread and followed that account

Are there any good sites? Everything I know and use is flagged lol

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Been following the account for a while, if the sites didn't post bullshit as fact then we wouldn't have this problem in the 1st place.

like I have seen click bait headlines related to Avengers Endgame and filmbait pointed out it wasnt a FACT it was taken from a fricking theory a fan had on Reddit.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
What a bunch of fucking tools. Maybe stop making clickbait and you won't be featured on an anti-clickbait account.

I've been following that account for a while now and it's great being able to get the info I want without having to click through to a site that takes a couple paragraphs to get to the point, which is often nothing but loose rumour half the time.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Been following the account for a while, if the sites didn't post bullshit as fact then we wouldn't have this problem in the 1st place.

like I have seen click bait headlines related to Avengers Endgame and filmbait pointed out it wasnt a FACT it was taken from a fricking theory a fan had on Reddit.

It's all so deliberately disingenuous-and the fact that this "Daniel" character (who lists himself as an "influencer" on his Twitter profile) is so upset means that it's good.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck them, too much of this clickbait trash comes up on my phone that I end up just blocking, Heroic Hollywood is the most recent one to show up with their garbage of making lazy "news" stories from bad Reddit fan "theories" and fan art.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying enough to knowingly click on a clickbait article, and instead of it giving you what it promised, it's 3 to 4 long paragraphs of setup. If you remove all the unnecessary fluff crap and just seek the answer you wanted from the article, usually it is like three sentences long found in 5 full paragraphs in the body. Get better at writing, then maybe something like this wouldn't exist.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I guess I would panic too if I realized my annoying business model could be easily destroyed by some person tweeting.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've followed the account for years, it's hilarious. I've also been banned by the Slashfilm twitter account for pointing out a couple of its extra clickbaity headlines

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I like the account's response because the tweet that was showing which websites had been most impacted by the actions of the Twitter account seemed totally oblivious to the fact that not every website has the same editorial standards. It's like saying firefighters suspiciously focus on the houses that are burning and ignore everyone else, so they must have a hidden intent.

Holy shit this is the best, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
This...isn't even news
BFgX2U8.gif

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I know generalizing isn't a good thing to do but holy hell, I will never stop thinking that fan theories are incredibly fucking stupid and the fact that some sites rely on that bullshit kinda proves my point.

I mean, it's fun to think what Kevin McAllister's dad work is or whatever, but when the theory isn't canon and the stupid fans react negatively towards that, it's when it pisses me off.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

This article perfectly sums up what is wrong with these trash sites. The title of the article is about a fan poster, which is then shown in the page itself.

But this is the text of the actual article:

The Avengers will have the fight of their lives in the upcoming film, as they still have to contend with Thanos who still holds all of the Infinity Stones. Actor Josh Brolin spoke about his character's drive in the series, pointing out why he feels so right in his effort to eliminate half of all life across the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"He's trying to fix the universe," said Brolin. "He's trying to balance the cosmos, and by doing that he's having to destroy a lot of things. So, there's the warrior Thanos, and then there's the Thanos that you see in the hut. I personally like the hut Thanos because it's much more real. He's perfectly and totally satisfied having accomplished what he set out to do."

Avengers: Infinity War co-director Anthony Russo praised Brolin's performance while speaking with the Telegraph.

"He's such an amazing performer and so uniquely suited to Thanos," said Russo. "What we were looking for in the character of Thanos is the strongest, most intimidating figure in the universe. While at the same time we wanted to tell a story about a character with a really complex and empathetic interior life. There are not a lot of actors that can give you both of those things.

"Josh Brolin is perhaps the best example that you can find where you have somebody who has a physical presence and brings that level of intensity and threat, while at the same time having another layer always at work underneath that, which is a very complex inner life and a lot of emotional depth and texture."

The entire article is randomly as fuck about Josh Brolin's performance as Thanos.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Fine with this.

I'd be throwing a shitfit if sports news became as rampant with click bait nonsense as comicbook news has these days.

"YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHO'S INTERESTED IN BRYCE HARPER AND MANNY MACHADO!"

At least most sports reporters/outlets have the decency to just tell you in the headline what the crux of the story is, inviting a click for more details. Of course that tends to mean those articles have some level of substance, which this date release rumor shit is hollow.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
FilmClickbait doing God's work. lol I've followed the account for awhile and the amount of clicks it's saved....

The meltdown over the weekend was hilarious though.

He's so lucky that Ultimate Alliance 3 was announced at the VGAs, since he was clearly trying to hint at Square Enix Avengers being shown.

Motherfucker straight out told someone it was the Avengers game. lol He had no clue.

Dude throws enough shit at the wall that eventually something has to stick.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that DanielRPK guy the same dude that was guessing when the new Avengers trailer would drop, get it wrong, tell everyone his sources misunderstood or higher ups wanted to keep things fresh, then start all over again?

Yeah fuck that guy. Maybe spend time trying to collate real sources rather than guessing at reddit threads and he wouldn't need to resort to clickbait.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why are the film bloggers so certain that it's a colleague/one of their own running the account? This looks like something anyone can do, it's just commenting on posted tweets.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
All their conspiracy says is that those sites have a ton of comic clickbait lmao. Master sleuthing there.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This guy is basically ad block for click bait.

Is there a Twitter account that does this for recipes that cuts out the random ass blog paragraphs?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Title for this thread should have been:

"@FilmClickBait saved people a click, you won't believe what happened next"

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if their bosses knew what they were up to? The amount of them not giving a fuck would be incredible, they'd so quickly not fire them or do anything.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is CBR has been garbage for a few years. It's all clickbait garbage now.
I know, right?! It's so fucking annoying it's actually the first "source" of "news" that I banned from my Google Feed.

If you run a clickbait site and you're reading this: You want my clicks, right? Well, I don't click if you have a shitty clickbait title, you nincompoop!