• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Re-opening.
This topic is about the FilmClickBait account. Please focus the discussion on that and avoid dogpiling over unrelated arguments.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Click bait is shit and annoying. Nothing wrong with what this account is doing. The push back to expose the person is gross though.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the content of your article can be summed up in a tweet then maybe you're not on decent ground for this argument.

I have no sympathy for all these blogs that do nothing but post slightly reworded versions of press releases.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The point the film site dudes have is this is like if a Fox News anchor started a fake account to trash CNN or MSNBC. That's where they're coming from.
That's an idiotic place to be coming from, this is nothing like that at all.

If this dude worked for Variety, or whatever, so what?

And lol @ all the dweebs in Daniel's mentions acting like this is something that matters at all or Daniel is some arbiter.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck click bait, the reason half of the decent websites I visited are just click bait now because the new bosses need hits or go away and it's fucking stupid. Fandom is just shit now because of this. I think gaming sites are just escaping clickbait

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Comicbook reporting, especially comicbook adaptation reporting, is objectively the worst kind of reporting. That it manages to be worse than videogame reporting is an epic feat.

At first I was annoyed, but now I'm kinda jealous that people can make a living doing this. Like, you don't need talent or work ethic or anything really.

Nobody cares about legit comic book journalism. For some reason the types of articles you want these type of sites to write about don't pull-in clicks. Black Nerd Problems and Comicosity are the only comic sites that aren't clickbait, and that's cuz they maintain a small staff of writers.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
CBR shows up in algorithmic news feeds for me all the time and a huge proportion of the titles are very clikbaity. If the shoe fits...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Lol jesus. I think it's funny these people think anyone cares about who this person is besides the people and sites writing clickbait.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm sure these writers have mouths to feed and I understand why they'd be upset at losing ad revenue.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there one of these for youtube videos at all?

I think I've seen enough video content that takes a single off hand comment in an interview and stretches it into a ten minute discussion piece with the headline "thing definitely happening".

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there one of these for youtube videos at all?

I think I've seen enough video content that takes a single off hand comment in an interview and stretches it into a ten minute discussion piece with the headline "thing definitely happening".
Poor person the one that has to check hundreds of 10:01 videos just to see if he sees anything interesting.

At least, FilmClickbait can just scroll fast through the articles and see if they say anything.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
What happens when your skill set is 80% on how to write a clickbait title and 20% actual research. No sympathies.

Oct 29, 2017
FilmClickbait is a global treasure, especially considering all the other awful shit on Twitter. I'm not surprised that these fly-by-night, rumor regurgitating "news" sites hate it.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the original account is taking this nonsense in stride:

What say you, Era? Is this just a cruel joke or is it really about ethics in comic book movie twitter rumor clickbait?
Hey those are the sites with the most clickbait titles. Of course they're going to be high on the list. Ending lesson here? Don't make clickbait titles. It's as simple as that. Interesting but not surprising those from those sites would get mad at this and refuse to address their own writing.

Last edited:

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just trying to think it through... What exactly does Daniel Ritchman think is unethical?

His original article is completely unsourced -- he doesn't even attempt to give any context as to where the date came from. Not even a "source familiar with the matters in Marvel Studios" or something. I'm not sure if 'SupeBroMovies' is supposed to be reputable -- but, like, it's a Wordpress.com site.

Is he just angry that the Twitter account interfered in his attempt to reap in those sweet, sweet clickbait ad dollars?

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I follow quite a few Disney pages mainly related to theme park news etc

Saw an article promoted by one recently 'Everything we know so far about Frozen 2'

The actual content of the article amounted to pretty much 'we actually know nothing about Frozen 2'

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I follow quite a few Disney pages mainly related to theme park news etc

Saw an article promoted by one recently 'Everything we know so far about Frozen 2'

The actual content of the article amounted to pretty much 'we actually know nothing about Frozen 2'

There is a large cottage industry out there pumping out articles of the nature of "Here's what we know about [UNRELEASED PRODUCT]!" the second said product is announced -- or even rumored.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your site can't survive without shitty clickbait headlines then I don't really care if your site survives

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I know who currently runs the account and honestly it is neeeded. It is not just comic book sites being called out. If you run clickbait as of this year your site if big enough willl make The list.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CBR, comicbook and screenrant are garbage. I stopped checking my google chrome feed for news because I kept getting clickbait trash from those sites.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Da gawd. Did he ever make it to era

FilmStage had some pretty decent opinions

I think not.

At some point all he did on gaf anyway was post his monthly movie threads where he stealthy promoted his website. He did it for years and nobody noticed lol.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point the film site dudes have is this is like if a Fox News anchor started a fake account to trash CNN or MSNBC. That's where they're coming from.

The only problem with that is how dumb it is. Nobody at Fox News needs to hide their identity to say shit about their competitors, and even if they did it anyway, it wouldn't take much to see which of the big three is getting the least criticism.

I'm not sure what's worse: Richtman's tweets, or how you apparently thought retweeting them would make you look like a reasonable person.