• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will post a better post in Feb's Film Era but

Phantom Thread is 10/10 in my books and its PTA's best film imo.

DDL is amazing.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
So far, out of the nominees that I have seen, my ratings are as follows:

GREAT:
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Blade Runner 2049

VERY GOOD:
The Shape of Water
Lady Bird

GOOD:
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
The Post
I, Tonya
The Disaster Artist

WTF:
Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Still need to see Call Me by Your Name and Phantom Thread and a couple of others. I think we got a good crop of movies last year with a couple of standouts.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 2017 felt like another 2012, which is a really good thing.

In fact, I'd say the last several years have been very solid in general, although 2013 felt like an odd limbo for blockbuster cinema.

EDIT: Scratch that. On closer inspection, mainstream blockbuster cinema was kinda shite in 2013.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturnal Animals: very impressed by this movie, it has one of the best endings I've seen in recent memory. I love how it takes something mundane and overused like
the cliché scene of someone getting stood up + timelapse
, but making it hit like a brick because there's so much history behind it. I felt like it did the frame story structure justice and both narratives were just as strong. It's been a full day since I've seen it but I'm still thinking about it.

I'm curious about Ford's other movie (A Single Man) now.
I genuinely think the idea behind the film should have been executed in a 6-8 episode tv series, something longer than 2 hours.

The number of unexplored facets of the story, like her daughter, the friends, some more development about her relationship with Edward, lead me to believe Ford should have chosen to film it as a miniseries. There are a lot of potentially interesting characters that just show up for less than 5 minutes that could benefit from an expanded runtime.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
th

Straight Story.

Was not expecting sudden random freight trains of emotion. Gees i must have suddenly teared up like at least 3 times watching this. Really weird, a David Lynch movie produced by Disney. Never saw it before but this was really heartfelt and emotional.

mrnobody.jpg

Mr Nobody

This movie is nuts. It was over 2hrs 30mins, great cast, lots of vfx, clearly money was spent, and you will barely understand it. In the end you basically get it, but god damn is it all over the place. With that said, if you treat it as like a montage of scenes, its surprisingly romantic and well done. I enjoyed it, but i imagine a lot of people might tune out after a while because it sure does go in every direction possible.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Call Me By Your Name: Lyrical, low-key, and perfectly captures both the slow (maybe too slow?) laconic summer vibes, and tortured growing pains of a complicated relationship and sense of self. I was a little surprised at how carnally Elio and Oliver's relationship is depicted, and haven't really decided whether its to the benefit of the film or not. On the one hand it feels refreshingly real for a seventeen year old's summer fling, but on the other hand is Sufjan Stevens waxing poetic on the soundtrack the most honest artist choice for a relationship that mostly amounts to lots of sex with the perfect Hollywood playboy? I'm leaning towards "yes" because it certainly worked in the moment, and it fits with the adolescent melodrama that a 17 year old would be filtering all this through.

Timothée Chalamet defintiely is deserving of an oscar win for his performance in this (that ending), but I say give it to DDL. Give Chalamet something to keep busting his ass for, he's too young and talented to get to the Nicolas Cage phase of his career yet.

The Fearless Vampire Killers: It looks and sounds amazing as you might expect from a Polanski film (and thanks to collaborators Krzysztof Komeda and Douglas Slocombe) but ultimately this is a comedy that's just not funny. Outside of the subject material itself this feels decidedly un-Polanski (up until the very Polanski ending). Its mostly a super broad, slapstick comedy that doesn't really say much about anything, and the jokes just don't land. The timing of the humor is all off, nor is it shot well for humor, and it feels pretty badly miscast.

Fortunately Polanski must have realized his blunder and course corrected quite hard with Rosemary's Baby the next year, because that represents a perfect synthesis of black comedy and horror.

Oct 27, 2017
Fam, how is Rockwell winning everything over Dafoe? I love Sam, he has an inherent charisma that always wins you over, he's a really entertaining guy. I don't hate that he's getting all this award season love, but yeah. Florida Project is being robbed left and right. It's going to age like fine wine.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Swoon Here's my reviews for the pick 3 thing.

City Girl (1930)
It was okay. My siblings watched it with me and we enjoyed how some of the scenes played out. It was really interesting how they used dialogue in the 1930s, considering the technological conditions during the period.

Playtime (1967)
My first French film. I kind of liked this one, especially once it got to the restaurant.

Modern Times (1936)
Probably the best out of the three. I've heard of Chaplin, but have never seen any of his films. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Overall, thanks a lot for the recommendations! To be honest, I probably would have never seen them otherwise.
Can't wait for next month's pick 3.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jumanji wTTJ

I don't quite get how this is the monster smash that it is. I laughed a bit and its entertaining enough. But I kept thinking, there has to be more? A servicable fun flick but nothing more. The OG jumani was a lot more fun (in my mind). Jack Black is the star here and I quite liked the

erection joke + the fact that she didn't end up with the guy - that scene at the end was quite wistful but horribly ruined by the casting of Colin Hanks.

Also, I like the fact that the trailers didn't reveal the
fifth gamer - I'm guessing its a jonas brother? No idea.

6/10

Godzilla: Monster Planet: Godzilla finally goes anime, and the result is decidedly back-loaded. For at least 70 minutes, this film meanders as it introduces one entirely uninteresting character after another, delivering all manner of science talk filled with silly words that work in no language and motivations that cross well past the threshold of rational behavior. There is so much setup involved here that you have to wonder if the script had been largely written before the screenwriters were gifted with the Godzilla IP, as you could replace every instance of the word "Godzilla" with something else like "eldritch pancake" or "spiders of no unusual size" and lose nothing. Thankfully, the extended action sequence towards the end of the film brings the goods as far as over-the-top coordination and pyrotechnics are concerned, and one gets the sense that divorced from the endless exposition that the filmmakers here are grateful for the chance to show off what they can do after having to be in first gear for such a long time. And then the last 10 minutes or so happen, and holy crap, it almost made the slog to get to this point worth it for the craziness that ensues, giving us another great spin on the big guy himself so soon after the excellent Shin Godzilla rewrote the playbook and hell of a great cliffhanger pre- and post-credits that is bound to get anyone excited for the next film that's planned to release in a few months. Truthfully, I don't care much for pre-planned trilogies as they often sacrifice self-contained storytelling for the sake of telling a larger story, making me wonder why they didn't just go ahead and make a television series where that would play much better, but as a Godzilla fan, I can say that their efforts to get me hooked worked wonders. Still, they really should have put a lot more effort in getting something interesting done in the first vast majority of the film, because if it could have been as exciting as its finale turns out to be, we really could have had another miracle for Godzilla so quickly after the last one. As it stands, it's hard not to see this as ultimately a very, very, very long trailer for a better film to come, but it does leave me with hope that the sequel will deliver big time.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saw Call Me By Your Name last night. I thought the overall story and performances were good, but there was quite a bit I felt was clumsily executed. There were a few moments of dialogue and interaction between Elio and Oliver that were kinda ridiculous. The "Are you telling me what I think you're telling me?" scene in the courtyard is nonsense. No one talks that way. It almost felt like it was headed for a sitcom trope of them thinking they know what each other is talking about but they're actually talking about two different things. And there were some very strange and awkward edits throughout the movie that happened so much it almost felt like it was an intentional stylistic choice. But if it was, I think it was a bad decision. It just made certain scene transitions feel really amateurish.

Seeing The Post tonight, then I will have seen all the Best Picture nominees. After that I'll be moving on to catching up with other major categories. My local indie theater is playing all the nominated short films, animated shorts, and documentary shorts this month. So this may be the first time ever that I actually pull off seeing every Oscar nominated film before the show.

With all the Best Picture nominees, I think Get Out is the only one I've truly and unequivocally liked. There are certainly lots of good elements among all the other nominated films, but they all have pretty big flaws in my eyes.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched Dunkirk the other day and im still thinking about it.

I really like how they played with the concept of time. It was almost a character in itself brought to life by the music.

Hopefully we can trend towards more war movies like this and less like hacksaw ridge.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Saw Call Me By Your Name last night. I thought the overall story and performances were good, but there was quite a bit I felt was clumsily executed. There were a few moments of dialogue and interaction between Elio and Oliver that were kinda ridiculous. The "Are you telling me what I think you're telling me?" scene in the courtyard is nonsense. No one talks that way. It almost felt like it was headed for a sitcom trope of them thinking they know what each other is talking about but they're actually talking about two different things. And there were some very strange and awkward edits throughout the movie that happened so much it almost felt like it was an intentional stylistic choice. But if it was, I think it was a bad decision. It just made certain scene transitions feel really amateurish.

Finally got to see this film yesterday. I felt the clumsiness was just typical of new relationships, especially one that had to be closeted. Though, now that you mention the sitcom trope, that scene could've come from Three's Company. I'll have to watch it again as I didn't notice any funky editing, but I did notice an overreliance of soft focus in a number of scenes.

The best character in the film was the father: he had the most important dialogue and his talk with Elio at the end was incredibly powerful. Overall, I thought it was an excellent film.

And Armie Hammer dancing to 80s music is the funniest thing I have seen in my life.

(Oh, and maybe this is one for the comics peeps: When the father was talking about the way male figures (statues) were cast in strange angles brought to mind the "brokeback" trend of drawing women in impossible contortions. Just a weird connection I had.)

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched this last night and whilst I didn't hate it I can't help but feel like quite a lot from the trailer below (exploding house, could've saved them line, bear trap) were not in the film and I have to say this annoyed me quite a bit. I know this probably happens a lot, but they also seemed to be what could be interesting scenes from the film.