• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Rewatched Michael Mann's Heat. Kinda forgot how amazing this film is.

De Niro and Pacino crushed it, the supporting cast is pretty good, the movie on a whole is pretty damn gorgeous (save for that one obvious use of green screen), and the action is well filmed. 170 minutes of crime drama bliss, whew

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I want to write the review for Mute!
No one has quite called it yet but I know for a fact pachi is super excited about mute. he is the one that reminded us of it. So I am not sure what his plans are but I will at least wait for his response.

Anyway thanks to midnight cowboy I am now in the mood for for more wender films

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Call Me By Your Name. Wowwwwww. So beautiful. That ending 1-2 punch of
the father's monologue and then the engagement and Elio crying by the fireplace
Amazing.

I know Luca Guadanino is saying he wants to do a sequel but I wish for the movie's sake they don't.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
1. Definitely wouldn't work as OT. Too niche for what you are going for. A thread would work.

2. we can definitely make a dedicated sci-fi month here for February. The thing is it needs to be specific. We already have the pick three, and monthly bad movie watch. Oh and can't forget the top 10 to watch in February. What you bring has to stand out amongst though.

3. Shoot your ideas here or through pm and I am sure we can get something ready within the week.

Of course the site is always available for the good stuff.

I don't have anyone writting reviews for altered carbon, mute, or annihilation.

I'd like to call dibs on Annihilation or do a counterpoint if we have someone else step up.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Beasts of No Nation

What a slap in the face !!! Never heard of that movie, saw a trailer, yeah look interesting. The act 2 of this movie is just insane good and intense, i mean this is the perfect exemple of how a movie don't need to be "historical" or base on real fact to get into. The final act was a little too long for my taste, that movie could have been like 30 minutes shorter, easily... but wow if the story of a children soldier interest you, this is a much watch.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Mulholland Drive

I was so sure I knew what was going on. Until Club Silencio, I thought it was just some abstract treatise on finding yourself in a city of corruption and greed where acting becomes an escape from real life or some shit. Pretty standard but presented in a unique way with some non-sequiters for the sake of doing so.

After that... what the fuck lads. Time travel? Dreams? Alternate realities? What's the deal with the ugly lady? What's the deal with the different Camillas? What's the deal with the fucking terrifying old fuckers?

Who the fuck cares? I kinda loved it anyway.

It was all a drug-fueled dream. She was depressed because her lover had died and she blamed herself. Upon awakening she has hallucinations from the drugs and commits suicide.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
ViewtifulJCs post about it is more or less what I got from the movie, and whenever people would ask for it to be 'explained' I would always link that post

Refine that and get it published as an article lol

Also what an amazing experience that movie is. One of my GOATs

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, with the release of both Altered Carbon and Mute next month, and the overwhelming positive response to Blade Runner 2049, I kind of want to make February a celebration of science-fiction. With that I mean, I don't want the usual "recommend me a great sci-fi movie" or "your favorite sci-fi films?" threads but instead make a seudo-OT that not only lists great sci-fi films, but also directs our community toward written pieces that explain these films plots and go in-depth, so that we can also guide each other and help each other understand these plots and subplots and maybe also create more awareness toward lesser known movies of the genre. This community undoubtedly hold it very dear, and I know as an example that there are numerous great pieces that explores Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival to name a few. We could even link to stuff these films were inspired by like books (ex: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep). We could make a header or graphics or a highlight for each movie (not all movies though). Or is this just some dumb and useless idea?

[edit] Never mind, I think it's bad idea, since topics with a general theme most often are forgotten about and ends up inactive.
I started a dedicated sci-fi OT in November but it's pretty dead unfortunately
https://www.resetera.com/threads/science-fiction-ot-a-speculative-era.5201/

luca

Oct 25, 2017
No one has quite called it yet but I know for a fact pachi is super excited about mute. he is the one that reminded us of it. So I am not sure what his plans are but I will at least wait for his response.

Anyway thanks to midnight cowboy I am now in the mood for for more wender films
Just let IceMan do it. Maybe I can write up a smaller "second opinion" or nothing at all if I got no time, cause that's around the time where some changes are gonna happen in my life.

I started a dedicated sci-fi OT in November but it's pretty dead unfortunately
https://www.resetera.com/threads/science-fiction-ot-a-speculative-era.5201/
This is what I was afraid of, that it would become inactive. It happens all the time with threads that has a general theme. It's a beautiful OT you did there though More_Badass.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Yea people are always making Ots that could fit into a bigger one so they end up dying or becoming niche.

I think we are going to run with your idea pachi unless everyone is on board with doing valentine themed stuff?

Pachi you could always do a top 10 sci-fi films or something similar as a writeups and post it as a thread

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
HGS15.gif

also her owning that house is pretty something.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
This movie is complete and utter madness. I loved every second of it. Yuasa has had one hell of a 2017/2018, between this, Devilman Crybaby and Lu Over the Wall.

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
it stand out to me because it's such long dumb scene and like the only thing mann is good at is visuals

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Early Man (2018) - 6.3/10. I tend to find most of Aardman's animations to be quaint, forgettably harmless little movies and this really isn't much different. I didn't pay too much attention to the advertising but they clearly downplayed the football element to appeal to a broader audience I guess.

The voice acting is fine, it looks nice enough, but the rather broad humour and conventional sports movie formula had me tuning out on occasion. It's also a shame the best moment, involving a cockroach and a pair of sunglasses, happens in the first minute of the film.

It's barely 75 minutes sans credits so at least it won't eat up a ton of your day.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective: This was a good movie, with Jim Carrey just having fun with his role. It's like Sherlock Holmes if he was a total goofball.
Then it goes completely transphobic. Yeah, uh, *tugs at collar*

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
Early Man (2018) - 6.3/10. I tend to find most of Aardman's animations to be quaint, forgettably harmless little movies and this really isn't much different. I didn't pay too much attention to the advertising but they clearly downplayed the football element to appeal to a broader audience I guess.

The voice acting is fine, it looks nice enough, but the rather broad humour and conventional sports movie formula had me tuning out on occasion. It's also a shame the best moment, involving a cockroach and a pair of sunglasses, happens in the first minute of the film.

It's barely 75 minutes sans credits so at least it won't eat up a ton of your day.

How do you differentiate between 6.2 and 6.3?

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective: This was a good movie, with Jim Carrey just having fun with his role. It's like Sherlock Holmes if he was a total goofball.
Then it goes completely transphobic. Yeah, uh, *tugs at collar*

On the subject of Carrey, rewatched I Love You Philip Morris the other day. Bit of an underrated gem I reckon.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Amélie. I admit, I have to rewatch it to fully understand every element of it. But it was cute, adorable and creative. It was a feel-good film with visual flair and interesting ways of framing its subplots. I don't think I've quite seen a movie like this one, it went far and beyond the standard cinematic landscape and created something fiercely authentic, pure and real. It's an experience that grabs you by the throat and makes you relate to the littlest of detail.

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched The Polka King on Netflix. It isn't very remarkable. Not really that interesting of a story (at least not in the way it is portrayed in this film) and it isn't very funny either. Wouldn't really recommend watching it unless you really want to see Jack Black or are just a bit bored. It isn't offensively bad either.

Anyway, I was kind of wondering something while watching it. It feels like it is one of the many films that, in my eyes, can be traced back to The Wolf of Wallstreet. A film about a true story about a crappy person doing something insane and horrible. I've just seen Molly's Game recently which is exactly a Wolf of Wallstreet film. I, Tonya seems like one of those. I've also seen American Made which did the same thing. And probably a couple of more that try the same thing as Wolf. I'm not going to lie. I love these kind of tales. I will line up for any of these kinds of films day one. But at what point are we truly celebrating these horrible people and their acts? I know there was a big discussion about Wolf around this topic. Which Scorsese and DiCaprio tried to explain away by the fact they tried to show the horribleness by making it ridiculous and over the top and let people come to their own conclusions about what that truly meant. Which is debatable if they achieved their goal but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I feel like these Wolf inspired films don't try to 'teach' the audience. It's there for the thrills and the insanity of the real events. Celebrating the criminals since they are always portrayed as the heroes. With little of no moral lesson. And I don't trust the average audience member to actual form a proper opinion about the events they see on screen to be honest. But also the fact that these people will most likely get well paid for their stories. It makes it all a bit icky.

Celebrating criminals in media has been going on for the longest time. The stories are inherently interesting. With films we've been there with all the mafia movies. And criminals writing books about their tales has also been a cash cow. But these recent (amazingly fun) Wolf inspired films feel very light on message about the actions of the characters.

TL;DR: Are criminals being celebrated too much with the recent influx of Wolf of Wallstreet inspired movies?

Excuse my ramblings.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I forgot to add to that Tomb Raider roundtable. Anyway, it's not like I would have added something new.

I grew up with Tomb Raider and remember Tomb Raider II and The Last Revelation fondly. I think I was exposed to it mostly on PC when my father bought the entire collection. I always found them to be rather difficult but I got the farthest in The Last Revelation which is why that one is the fondest memory I have. I loved that jeepney segment in the desert, it was just so much fun. Then I got into Chronicles and thought it was cool how we went down memory lane , and then Angel of Darkness came by. Unlike most, I loved this edition, and remember progressing in it, not because I was smart and solved a puzzle, but because a glitch let me through the fence. And then the first one I would go on to complete was Legends. I found Crystal Dynamics had streamlined the franchise and made it more approached but also more linear and less clever, making it more straightforward to get through. The 2013 reboot was the one I completed in one sitting on a quest sunny Sunday with maybe two toilet breaks. I was consumed and sucked into this survivalist life on an abandoned island, because this was the Tomb Raider I had envisioned and dreamed of since my childhood. I loved it, and that's probably why the upcoming reboot movie is gonna speak to me.

I am going into it with caution and lowered expectations though. As so many others have noticed, it's profoundly based on the 2013 video game down to single set pieces, equipment and costuming so it's hardly original, and they've managed to combine the worst of the two video game storylines for the main plot and premise of the film, so it doesn't bode well.

Thankfully they've got a capable cast, and I've liked Alicia Vikander ever since Ex Machina, and I see her fit for the role, something her dedicated workout and hard physical training backs up, but here I hope the writers doesn't botch it and have given her something competent to work with, although it doesn't seem so based on the trailers they've served us but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

After all, I'm not going into this expecting a deep experience that's smart about its choices, and the film won't expect me to think thoroughly about their work or the execution of it. This is gonna be a spring blockbusters that's gonna give you some hard action, simple one liners and fun traps our hero will need to overcome. Kind of like it's predecessors. And at no time did the movie promise us more than that.

What'll be most interesting to me besides Alicia's performance and delivery, is if the cinematography will compare to that of Tomb Raider and The Craddle of Life that elevated the sense of a grand adventure with pretty scenery and choreographed action, or if it will fall flat with shallow visual effects and flat set design and lighting.

Here's hoping for a decent Tomb Raider.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Nocturnal Animals: very impressed by this movie, it has one of the best endings I've seen in recent memory. I love how it takes something mundane and overused like
the cliché scene of someone getting stood up + timelapse
, but making it hit like a brick because there's so much history behind it. I felt like it did the frame story structure justice and both narratives were just as strong. It's been a full day since I've seen it but I'm still thinking about it.

I'm curious about Ford's other movie (A Single Man) now.

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
20th Century Women was good; lovely performances all round, a real sense of earnestness and personality behind the film, and some very funny moments. Bit twee and quaint, but enjoyable.

^ watched a Single Man yesterday; found its direction a tad obnoxious and its script a little unsubtle, but Firth is wonderful.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Watched these two over the weekend and sent my reviews over to the FilmEra site Flow has but I will share a little here.

Invasion of Astro-Monster or Godzilla vs Monster Zero
This was a pretty cool entry in the Godzilla series. Basically Godzila, Mothra, and Ghidorah end up under alien control and start wreaking havoc on Earth. Overall it was a fun watch.

GodzillaVsMonsterZero_pic2.jpg

The Fall
How the hell isn't this more known? The guy that directed the Cell directed this and funded a large part of it to make his dream but for some reason it wasn't promoted very well or at all by the studio and got buried. If you've never heard of this and want to see a visual spectacle, watch it.

the_fall1.jpg

4c497bff6b9945371b422766e81ad8e3.jpg

thumb-350-486061.jpg

a736a056c73cf61d7250747f46974b51.jpeg

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Beasts of No Nation

What a slap in the face !!! Never heard of that movie, saw a trailer, yeah look interesting. The act 2 of this movie is just insane good and intense, i mean this is the perfect exemple of how a movie don't need to be "historical" or base on real fact to get into. The final act was a little too long for my taste, that movie could have been like 30 minutes shorter, easily... but wow if the story of a children soldier interest you, this is a much watch.
Definitely one of those movies you only watch once and never forget. It's riveting.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Watched these two over the weekend and sent my reviews over to the FilmEra site Flow has but I will share a little here.

This was a pretty cool entry in the Godzilla series. Basically Godzila, Mothra, and Ghidorah end up under alien control and start wreaking havoc on Earth. Overall it was a fun watch.

The Fall
How the hell isn't this more known? The guy that directed the Cell directed this and funded a large part of it to make his dream but for some reason it wasn't promoted very well or at all by the studio and got buried. If you've never heard of this and want to see a visual spectacle, watch it.

the_fall1.jpg

thumb-350-486061.jpg

The Fall is excellent, good to hear you've watched it! And for how forgettable his next movie was overall, Immortals has some incredible visual flair that a lot of action movies are missing.

Whale Rider (2002): Midway through watching this I realized that Rachel House, a mainstay of Taika Waititi's filmography, was in this too in a minor-ish part. She's the secret weapon for Pacific Islander breakout features (she was also in Moana). The young Keisha Castle-Hughes is excellent here in the lead role. The film around here is at times a bit on the shaggy side. For instance, there's a lot of time early on dedicated to her non-relationship with her father, but then that ends up being unimportant for the final two-thirds, with a perfunctory return appearance that seems like it's meant to add catharsis the film hasn't really earned. But there's a lot of good stuff here, and the scenes with the whales are done quite effectively for what I imagine was a fairly low budget endeavor.

Make Way For Tomorrow (1937): Often cited as one of the biggest tearjerkers of Golden Age Hollywood in cinephile circles, and was an inspiration for Ozu's famous Tokyo Story some years later. It's not without flaws -- in particular, the final third suggests a sort of comparison between the way strangers treat the central couple and the way their own children do that is rather disingenuous; it's easy for strangers to humour these people for a few minutes -- but it is indeed an emotionally affecting piece of work. Beulah Bondi, a regular supporting player in 30s/40s cinema, gets a rare lead role here, playing a 70-year-old woman when she wasn't even 50 years old yet, and doing it remarkably well (good makeup work too). It's a poignant look at an era when retirement security was way less of a thing than it is now (not that we're without such problems today either).

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I finished rewatching Ex Machina, and ultimately came away liking it a lot more than my first go around back in 2015. I couldn't help but create a thread on it, not because I particularly want my own impression to be in the spotlight, but rather because I hope discussion can come of it, and that other interesting perspectives will come forward. And also because I believe more people will come out of the bushes if the topic is contained to this one subject. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've even created a thread for a single film, I usually don't do that, but I'm in the mood for science-fiction and discussion.

Let's discuss Ex Machina (open spoilers)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Mudbound gets dark, I wasn't expecting that

I found that Mudbound felt kind of disjointed in the first act, but once the various plots came together and we get to follow Jamie and Ronsel's friendship, the movie finds its pace and footing and really comes together as an effective and powerful drama.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man, Mudbound gets dark, I wasn't expecting that

I found that Mudbound felt kind of disjointed in the first act, but once the various plots came together and we get to follow Jamie and Ronsel's friendship, the movie finds its pace and footing and really comes together as an effective and powerful drama.
I agree with this.

The initial bombardment of inner monologues was a bit irksome as a clear holdover from being an adaptation, but once it finds its footing, the movie is powerful and finds a distinct identity in the literal muddying of its characterization.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA

The Fall

the_fall1.jpg

thumb-350-486061.jpg

Amazing! and I have you and Iceman down for reviews next month.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
78/52

A wonderful documentary on Psycho but, more specifically, that infamous shower scene. Its impact, its brashness, its absolute unseen carnage, all laid to bare here with talking heads of Elijah Wood and the Spectrevision crew, Guillermo Del Toro, Eli Roth, Oz Perkins, Leigh Whannell, Jamie Lee Curtis, Peter Bogdanovich, Danny Elfman, Richard Stanley (he's popping up a lot lately)... but the absolutely most riveting one is Walter Murch, breaking down the cutting and editing decisions in such a wonderful way that it's just as compelling as the scene itself. It offers a neat look into Hitchcock's career and everything that led up to this point and beyond, but it's the breakdown of this iconic scene that's the most impacting part. Very highly recommended!