• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I'm back from vacation, so it's back to movies!

Ingrid Goes West: A stalker movie where the stalker may not be the worst person in it? This film walks a very, very thin and hazardous line in terms of generating sympathy for a group of people competing to be the biggest sociopath and making it a far, far closer race than might be comfortable for some, but it rather bravely and pointedly maintains its balance the whole way through, leading to some strong characterization for each of them that can feel sad, hilarious or horrific at times, and occasionally all three at the same time. I really have to admire the filmmakers for presenting such an unflinching look into the kind of people social media can create when they're effectively conditioned into this sort of behavior, without feeling like it's finger-wagging the concept of social media the whole way through. Helping it along is a very game cast that's unafraid of the material, with Aubrey Plaza throwing herself into her role as the title character to tremendous effect, and all of them manage to avoid coming across as too quirky to ensure that the material works in all its darkly-tinged glory. A low-key release that has a surprising vibrancy and relevance that could see it age very well in the years to come as more and more people come to grips with social media and all the good and bad that it can create. For now, though, this is a rather strong way to depict the latter effect!

Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill!: "How bad could a movie called Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! really be," I asked myself as I glanced at its icon on Hulu, knowing full well what the answer would be long before pressing play. For a film like this, being terrible is a foregone conclusion, so it mainly comes down to a matter of degrees of just how close it approaches being truly unwatchable. This is a task the film is more than happy to attempt, as between the ugly visual makeup for the film that features painful attempts at proper blocking and camera effects that are bad even for bad camera effects, audio quality that makes most everything sound like it's underwater and largely unintelligible and an editing philosophy that may as well have been sticking footage into a blender and pressing the "fuck my shit up, fam" button, it's already doing plenty on a technical level to turn off even the most hardened of horror buffs. But what makes this film truly odious is how it's able to balance two extremes: the film is too vile in its gleeful depictions of brutalizing women every which way it can while also rendering them emotional idiots that culminates in a moment in which the attempted rapist of one of the group is deemed more suitable to live just a bit longer than another member who is constantly reminding them of what happened, and it is also lacking in the imagination and execution of far more interesting nasty pieces of work that gives them the few merits that they can use to justify their existence, leading to be an ~80 minute Saw knockoff of interminable length in which the only remarkable elements to it is that it could afford the services of both Richard Greico and the voice of Dave Mustaine (B-movie starlet Sara Malakul Lane is also in this as the heroine, sort of, but like many things she's been in, the filmmakers go out of their way to highlight her chest in every shot long before she disrobes in a decidedly icky manner). Those are the kinds of details that one would ordinarily find by looking at the IMDB pages, and if you're a smarter person than I was, you'd be wise to leave it at that. Dreadful from beginning to end with no redeeming qualities to speak of, this is only for the people with steely constitutions to see just how bad bad can get, and even then, you might find yourself wishing you could get some kind of refund and apology for the experience.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Darkest Hour was pretty much exactly what I expected, but at least it had some style. Oldman did a fine job and the makeup effects were fantastic. A bit longer than it should have been.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Gonna watch 3-4 nominated films today. Time to catch up on 2017.

After the storm is my most eager to watch film.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Raising Arizona for the first time this weekend. It was fun but I can't say I understand the people who say it's the best Coen Brother film, it's not even in my top 5.

Also was there a voting thread for films for 2017? Or did Era Just not do that

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Three Billboards a second time with a new audience (thanks Golden Globes for re-releases!). This audience was really into the movie and laughed at almost every "joke." I don't know if it was because of the audience reaction, or it being my second viewing, but I really came down on the movie as a whole. When I saw it the first time, the theater was quiet and I never really found it funny, so I found the humor to be really dark and pathetic in its way. This time, especially with the audience laughing, just undercut a lot of what I liked about the movie the first time. And, knowing where certain plot lines were going, it just fell through. A major emotional turn isn't a tragedy or dramatic, but a laugh factory. And so I kind of shrugged, even more frustrated, wondering what the hell the movie was trying to say and its entire point. A lot of it just collapsed on a second viewing.

The biggest is Sam Rockwell, not just his character but his performance. His turn is just left of field and very much unearned, and yet totally sympathetic. I didn't fully buy it the first time, but I sort of gave it a pass. The second time, I was exceedingly frustrated, looking for any sort of redemption or arc, and not finding it. It is just hogwash.

Meanwhile, I saw Phantom Thread a second time, with a similar audience laughing for much of it, and it was a much more rewarding experience. That movie is enriched in a repeated viewing knowing where it goes and why, and a lot of the humor is so pronounced that I'm a bit miffed at myself that I didn't see it the first time (the near end sequence in the kitchen, her pouring the water, her hand lifts so high as to hit the lamp shade well above the table). What a joy PTA is at crafting these movies.

Last edited:

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
The Blood and Crips monologue from Three Billboards is the first time I've felt a massive disconnect from my audience. Everyone laughing around me while me and my mate shrivel under the deluge of overwritten, forced, unrealistic dialogue that was just excruciating painful. It doesn't hold up at all. Excited to see Phantom Thread again, hope I fix my niggles from the campy third act.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Thought so.
Yeah, coming as a big In Bruges fan, I was surprisingly confused of as to what to think of 3 Billboards...

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BRAD'S STATUS

an odd inwardly looking middle aged drama starring ben stiller. There's a lot of inner monologue and its always accompanied by this sad violin. It's quite strange but it grows on you and by the end of this odd movie, I came around on it. Some of the latter scenes were quite funny to me.

7/10

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Pachimari are you doing this sci-fi thing for Feb or nah?

lol looks like Film Era got fans
https://www.resetera.com/threads/film-era-presents-the-2018-avn-awards-results.19799/#post-3936326
2fHA0BJ.png

why do we always attract the weirdos.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
lol@that.

Mute Trailer when now? Actually I might not even watch it, release is so soon anyways :>

itspapagreg

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Lady Bird for the second time last night.

This movie is just the best. Absolutely loved it. Think it was even better the second time

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I've seen all the Oscar nominated performances so time to rank them

Chalamet
Day-Lewis
Ronan
Metcalf
McDormand
Rockwell
Robbie
Dafoe
Harrelson
Streep
Manville
Plummer
Hawkins
Kaluuya
Jenkins
Oldman
Janney
Bilge
Washington
Spencer

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017

yah know the drill. post your thoughts on the newest film from A24. few sentences or more if you want your impression on the site.

our last one
https://www.film-era.com/single-pos...m-Era-is-approaching-Tomb-Raider-with-caution

That trailer looks amazing! I like the dollhouse and am hoping that isn't just glossed over in the full movie. As the trailer wore on, it seemed that the focus became the little girl which is ok but that dollhouse with the miniatures really piqued my interest.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Paddington 2, more like Raddington 2 (GOAT-ington 2).

Almost Studio Ghibli-esque in visuals, and has a bigger heart than most movies would dream or even consider to have.
I'm glad it wasn't a soulless cash grab.

And the trailers before the movie (targeted at children), were absolutely terrible. Lots of children's movies leaning and relying on fart jokes. It was like one trailer after the other!
It was so entertainingly horrific to watch them.
Note to people who make children's movies, you DON'T have a fart joke worth a damn. Please stop thinking that you do!

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved Phantom Thread and could have turned right back around and watched it right there. Love the score & Daniel Day-Lewis meticulous performance. I'll happily see it again soon.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Mudbound just literally surprised me. It was beautifully told and easy to digest. The cinematography was great, and the plot was nicely set up. It played with my emotions, as I was angered by some of these characters looking down at black people, but I was relieved and happy about the Jamie character and the ending in general. I thought the war story was nicely interwoven with what happened at the farm, and it didn't take away, rather it added to the family bonding. Great movie, and it's the best one I've seen out of Netflix. I'm glad the cinematographer got nominated for an Oscar and I'm happy she is on Black Panther.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Lady Bird

movieposter.jpg

Almost the entire path this movie walked along was ground that others had already tread for its story and its setting. Yet, by the time the end credits started rolling, I had fallen in love with it and even nearly shed a tear. Greta Gerwig doubles--no, triples--down on the genuineness and affection of the film's execution and she succeeds with flying colors. It's clear she is opening up and flooding her entire childhood into this film, both in memory and emotion. So much so that it undoubtedly captures and resonates with what many that have experienced around the same age--even if just a little bit. There is very rarely a moment that doesn't feel like it's setup with tender care and straight from the heart, whether comedic, charming or tragic. Almost nothing feels too ridiculous or too frustratingly cynical; it's just about right. All this accompanied by equally nostalgic visuals and soundtrack, but most of all, the flawless performance on behalf of Saoirse Ronan, backed up by Marion McPherson. For me, this is officially the bar set for any coming of age film this decade.

A

Scinbed

Jan 14, 2018
I watched Requiem for a Dream last night for the first time.

The movie was a journey for sure. It had some scenes that will stick with me for a while, which isn't something I can say about most movies. Pretty standard Hollywood "larger than life" characters, but the narrative arc for them was interesting for the most part.

Seven heroin shots out of ten.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Lady Bird

movieposter.jpg

Almost the entire path this movie walked along was ground that others had already tread for its story and its setting. Yet, by the time the end credits started rolling, I had fallen in love with it and even nearly shed a tear. Greta Gerwig doubles--no, triples--down on the genuineness and affection of the film's execution and she succeeds with flying colors. It's clear she is opening up and flooding her entire childhood into this film, both in memory and emotion. So much so that it undoubtedly captures and resonates with what many that have experienced around the same age--even if just a little bit. There is very rarely a moment that doesn't feel like it's setup with tender care and straight from the heart, whether comedic, charming or tragic. Almost nothing feels too ridiculous or too frustratingly cynical; it's just about right. All this accompanied by equally nostalgic visuals and soundtrack, but most of all, the flawless performance on behalf of Saoirse Ronan, backed up by Marion McPherson. For me, this is officially the bar set for any coming of age film this decade.

A
"Like the movies they make, Gerwig and other directors within the movement seem purposefully unwilling to say anything of worth, instead choosing to tell stories about themselves, as if their stories are unique or haven't been heard before. But they have, which is what makes Gerwig's film so unbearable in its self-congratulation. Calling it lazy would be incorrect, it is not a lazy film. It is clearly the work of someone who believes passionately in the story, but that is ultimately the most unforgivable aspect: that Gerwig genuinely believed this was a story worth telling when it is most clearly not." - some letterboxd review

posted in the last film ot. still makes me angry/laugh

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Like the movies they make, Gerwig and other directors within the movement seem purposefully unwilling to say anything of worth, instead choosing to tell stories about themselves, as if their stories are unique or haven't been heard before. But they have, which is what makes Gerwig's film so unbearable in its self-congratulation. Calling it lazy would be incorrect, it is not a lazy film. It is clearly the work of someone who believes passionately in the story, but that is ultimately the most unforgivable aspect: that Gerwig genuinely believed this was a story worth telling when it is most clearly not." - some letterboxd review

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Watching desert hearts. MidnightCowboy how many pick three films you got left? I just started

• 427747-katt-williams-great-america-0-70-0-105-crop.jpg

Katt Williams: Great America 2018
    ★★★

8/365

Always great when comedians mention locations you are familiar with but when it comes to political commentary other comedians did it better. Solid watch if you are a fan of Kat, otherwise skip.

• 1458-samurai-cop-0-70-0-105-crop.jpg

Samurai Cop 1991

Film Era Viewing Party #3
    7/365
    Honestly this film beat out the room when it comes to bad acting, and line delivery. I actually think quite a few of the cast members were doing drugs between scenes. Would recommend as a torture tool.

• 366189-first-they-killed-my-father-a-daughter-of-cambodia-rememb-0-70-0-105-crop.jpg

First They Killed My Father 2017
    ★★★★

6/365
    I am so glad Angelina Jolie decided to direct and produce this gripping film. It is very rare a non horror film makes me turn away from the screen. It was so unsettling how the brutal actions in the film contrasted with the natural beauty of the land, and production of the film. Definitely a must watch.

• tcNniniS4rfqrLH0oORikJfnIwY-0-70-0-105-crop.jpg

Call Me by Your Name 2017
    ★★★★½

9/365

It is always a great feeling when a film you have been dying to see actually delivers, Call me by name deserves all the nominations. Timothée Chalamet is gonna be an actor to watch after this stellar performance, and Armie Hammer just flowed with charisma. My favorite scene is definitely the dancing scene where Hammers steals the show. The film is beautifully shot, and the score is memorable. Definitely a top 10 film.

Last edited:

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Lady Bird starts off good then mutates into tropes, caricature, predictable endings and nauseating sentimentality which clashes thematically with the rest of the film. It's fantastically (Metcalf!) acted, scored and shot but the film doesn't ever hit the emotional peaks it thinks it does. These issues are particularly pertinent since its a coming-of-age film, where cliche and predictability are so deadly since its such a well-trodden formula that is supposedly universal. All in all, the movie manages to weather these flaws due to its technical wizardly and is the fourth best BP nominee this year - deserving directing although. However, I think criticism is legitimate and I hope people don't devolve in film twitter hivebot mindset where TLJ detractors are all 4chan misogynists and it is more important to listen to the zeitgeist then be honest (e.g.3BB with everyone giving it 4 star reviews then windmilling when the racism accusations where made).

Anyway

Handmaiden - Great visuals and thought the story was great but a little long
Columbus - Amazing visuals, acting etc. but less than the sum of its parts. Too boring maybe?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Feeling pretty ambivalent about Phantom Thread. It's one of those movies that is undeniably well made that just did absolutely nothing for me personally. Though the dinner scene is a standout and really fantastic. Wish the rest of the movie had that kind of dynamism.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling pretty ambivalent about Phantom Thread. It's one of those movies that is undeniably well made that just did absolutely nothing for me personally. Though the dinner scene is a standout and really fantastic. Wish the rest of the movie had that kind of dynamism.
diffrent strokes
the tension... and the buildup of his what is essentially resentment towards her... and then the end. i thought it was all great.
i'm pretty mixed on everything PT since Boogie Nights, but it was good.

i feel like the crowd you saw the movie with might sway you one way or the other. the crowd i was with laughed at ever single tiny little dry humor slight. and i feel like a lot of other review i've read had the same experience. it changes it to not be such a drab movie

also P.T. (Anderson)..... P.T..... Phantom Thread.
COINCIDENCE?
NO WAY

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
However, I think criticism is legitimate and I hope people don't devolve in film twitter hivebot mindset where TLJ detractors are all 4chan misogynists and it is more important to listen to the zeitgeist then be honest (e.g.3BB with everyone giving it 4 star reviews then windmilling when the racism accusations where made).
I can't really see any other film outside that franchise or genre devolving into that.

I mean, yeah, it could, but not to the level it has with SW. There is just crazy amount of viewership from all walks of life for that franchise that it becomes very easy to immediately point to terrible criticisms on the internet rather than engaging with valid ones (which more people should regardless of their feelings). That, and the criteria for what makes a "good SW movie" gets needlessly complicated and put on an entirely different realm for many thanks to its huge function in pop-culture and sci-fi. Thus, resulting in this massive hodgepodge of libel and cynicism from either side.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
lady bird is great but it does hit fall into some of the classic coming of age/teenage tropes. Kinda hard to avoid every cliche possible.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Three Billboards on my flight. I found the idea of film walking on the edge of redemption/moving on is especially interesting when all the characters were different shades of shitty.

What do you guys think of the ending?

Double

Nov 1, 2017
When was that?
Watching Phantom Thread today, consider me eeeeexcited!
Phantom Thread appealed to me on a personal level to a surprising extent, growing on me every time I think back on it. A really authentic depiction of a difficult relationship, embedded into this beautiful cinematography and score. It even added to my appreciation of the movie that I had kind of an argument with my wife earlier that day. I could very much connect to the asparagus scene :D

Want to watch with my wife in OV at some point (she had to stay home for our little girl).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest is Sam Rockwell, not just his character but his performance. His turn is just left of field and very much unearned, and yet totally sympathetic. I didn't fully buy it the first time, but I sort of gave it a pass. The second time, I was exceedingly frustrated, looking for any sort of redemption or arc, and not finding it. It is just hogwash.
There is no redemption, that's the point of his character. He starts off an asshole and at the end of the movie he's still the same asshole.
But instead of being prone to racist violence, he's focusing on vigilante justice to satisfy his violent urges. McDormand's character is in many ways the same as Rockwell's, she also is a very angry, violent person who has serious problems letting go of stuff and blames everyone except herself.