• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Any thoughts on that?

Sure, Summer Hours is hard not to get invested in. You're right about the globalization theme with the family that started at the estate now spread all over the world and the place of their legacy being discarded. I liked the analogy to the sketchbooks, which no matter to whom they're sold to, the only condition is that they have to stay together, something that's impossible for the siblings.
With a rather large family myself, many memories of gatherings in a place that they no longer own and myself having moved away from my place of origin it was easy to feel attached to the themes. I think there'll be something familiar to latch on to for almost every viewer.
It impressed my how effortlessly it went along. It's a very light film that I didn't really want to end, but leaves with a perfectly bittersweet scene. Very good.

I'm kicking myself for not taking the time to watch this earlier along with Miyazaki's older films. At the very least I have to watch Mononoke and Nausicaä

Holy... yes you do. These two and Totoro are the ones I've rewatched and shopped around to anyone who'd sit down and watch them with me the most. Get on that, they make a great double feature.

Oh right, I saw IT recently and found it rather unremarkable. Not a bad one, but far from deserving to be the most successful horror movie ever. The kids were alright, Pennywise was nicely done, but the structure didn't do the character dynamics any favours. When it came time for the damsel in distress plot device I pretty much gave up the rest of the goodwill that hadn't yet evaporated. Also too much cgi for my taste and another example of jumpscares that don't work because they never took time to set them up properly. Overall I was just bored quite frankly.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend have Halloween off so we might binge some horror flicks. Rented You're Next, saw both Conjuring movies were on HBO, maybe go for a classic like Scream/Halloween.

You guys care for The Strangers at all?

BaronLundi

Oct 25, 2017
Paris
Moonlight
I probably don't have much to add to what many others have already written. This is a remarkably sad and considerate and generous movie. Visually stunning, extremely well-acted (even by the younger cast which is in a feat in itself) it is also rare in how it trusts silence: when words are spoken, however softly, they resonate, they fracture our expectations, they matter.

I can count at least 4 different scenes that would be amongst the most poignant I've ever watched. An immensely engaging tale even if you are like me and probably shouldn't have a lot to relate to (I must admit the complete lack of white people was refreshing to say the least). It's not perfect though, my biggest gripe would be that the first two acts lose quite a lot of eloquence by how descriptive and exegetic they are, especially compared to the splendid and flawlessly moving third act. Still, a true work of art.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody see this great movie map that was shared on Reddit yesterday? Here it is.
jmqqav1dmuuz.jpg

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I've hit 31 horror movies this month as well (which I honestly didn't think I'd manage given my schedule compared to last year), but I'm gonna squeeze in some more to finish out the month...and then probably spend some time in November finishing up leftovers as well because I went a little crazy with recording TCM's horror lineup this month.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
27. Hausu

House-a-thon part 2 belongs to this often described haunted house film on acid. You wanna know something? That's a pretty good description. Hausu is one of the more unique movies I've seen this month, but is it any good? That's a big yes. The effects are completely original for better or worse. There are scenes where they work and others where they don't. Either way, it still adds to the atmosphere. I wish I was more familiar with Japanese culture and tropes because I believe the film will work better when having that familiarity. There is also more under the surface than just haunted house gags. An example being a commentary of the atomic bomb and war in general. There will be plenty more to unpack on future watches as well.

Also, Kung Fu was the shit!

Verdict: 8/10

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017

I too enjoyed Okja very much. It's a fascinating homage to the Spielberg family movie formula with more adult themes. The bond between our main character and the creature is so palpable I couldn't help but root for them all the way. Throw in some Tilda Swinton goofiness and other great supporting cast members like Paul Dano and I could absolutely see how someone might pick it as best of the year. It really plays well with Hollywood movie tropes while adding very unique elements and a message I can definitely get behind.

Oct 25, 2017
27. Hausu

House-a-thon part 2 belongs to this often described haunted house film on acid. You wanna know something? That's a pretty good description. Hausu is one of the more unique movies I've seen this month, but is it any good? That's a big yes. The effects are completely original for better or worse. There are scenes where they work and others where they don't. Either way, it still adds to the atmosphere. I wish I was more familiar with Japanese culture and tropes because I believe the film will work better when having that familiarity. There is also more under the surface than just haunted house gags. An example being a commentary of the atomic bomb and war in general. There will be plenty more to unpack on future watches as well.

Also, Kung Fu was the shit!

I'm not sure if I'd call it a good movie, but it's certainly an entertaining and unique one.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
this is the monthly movie thread right? Awesome. I'll try to partecipate as much as I can if time permits

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The Invisible Man
Luckily for me Shudder added some Universal films to its catalog so I get to enjoy some of the OG horror flicks I've never watched, especially now that I'm pretty much done with my 31 days list. So pretty much the first thing that came to mind was:

ca1e82814fbabf4703590d43509c7f4c2c1ce2403a1e634162043cef0a894c7f.jpg

The Invisible Man explores exactly what you'd expect an invisible dude to do...try and take over the world. He'd have succeeded too if it wasn't for all the insanity.

What was interesting to me was that this was shortly after the days of radio productions and this kind of felt that way with Claude Rains performance. He was pretty much never in the film. Maybe under the bandages at points but largely his character was simply read. Most of the effects were decent but simple although the invisible man parts are still pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's quite fun to see Jamie Lee Curtis go HAM on Michael, and Halloween H20 might be the best of the direct sequels, but ugh, it is still mostly garbage. At least it felt like they were kind of trying this time around.

One more!

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's quite fun to see Jamie Lee Curtis go HAM on Michael, and Halloween H20 might be the best of the direct sequels, but ugh, it is still mostly garbage. At least it felt like they were kind of trying this time around.

One more!

The last twenty minutes are worth the price of admission. Michael is about as threatening as a kitten though, but Jamie Lee Curtis makes up for it.

I got bad news about the next one.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I'll take the opportunity to introduce myself, as suggested by the OP.

Favourite movie - The Dark Knight. It saddens me that I might never experience that kind of high coming out of a theatre again. But I live in hope.

Favourite director - If you'd asked me two years ago I'd have said Christopher Nolan without hesitation. But Denis Villeneuve is on such a role right now that I'll go for Denis.

Favourite actors - Maggie Gyllenhaal, Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood and Rebecca Ferguson spring to mind.

Favourite genre - Science fiction, so it's been nice to get Blade Runner 2049 recently.

Favourite performance in film - This is a tough one. I do like the joint performance of Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan in Drive.

For a proper view of my film tastes you can see my Top 100 films on Letterboxd here.

I'm just back from a business trip to Athens which involved quite a lot of time travelling. So I took the chance to catch up on a few movies that I wanted to knock off my list but had no expectations about being great. I watched The Dark Tower, which wasn't that bad. I'm just glad I never read the books so I didn't have that point of reference.

Baywatch was unfunny and overly long. The Founder features a good performance from Michael Keaton but thats about it. The story is told is such a straightforward fashion that it becomes boring around the mid-point. Transformers The Last Knight is just utter trash. If someone could remove Michael Bay's attempts at humour it might merit at least one star.

Just rewatched Thor last night with my son. We both enjoyed it.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
28. Under the Shadow

The scenario is very common for the genre, mother with a child who claims the place is haunted....etc. What makes Under the Shadow stick out is from making great use of its setting and its pacing. The Iran locales gave me a setting I'm not familiar with and along with the Iran/Iraq conflict provided a sense of dread that ran throughout the films runtime. I didn't know whether to brace myself from the characters being attacked from supernatural forces or actual bombs. There is also a social theme concerning a woman frustrated at having to play a role designated to her by a society ran by men. I swear I've written that statement a couple of times this month.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hey everyone,

didn't post here at all in the old place but this seems like a great time to!

I got the 1001 Movies To Watch Before You Die book for my birthday so I've been working through that. I also have spreadsheets that I (somewhat) use to keep track of films and 'best-of' lists. Just watched the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy and Cabin in the Woods. The trilogy was absolutely amazing.

Anyway, here are the intro questions.

1. What's your favorite Movie?

Boyhood.

2. Who's your favorite director?

I feel like I'm loving anything Richard Linklater does so ... yeah, gotta be him.

3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?

Those that come to mind are Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton, Ethan Hawke, Christian Bale, Tom Hanks.

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Honestly I watch anything, even horror; I just like to try and consume as much as possible.

5. What's your favorite performance in film?

Ethan Hawke was brilliant in Boyhood for me - he played that father figure perfectly, particularly as the movie went on.

Last edited:

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the Linklater love. Boyhood and the Before trilogy are some of my most favorite movies of all time. Before Sunrise is probably the best of those. Also, Ethan Hawke is a treasure.

I've only seen those four movies of Linklater's, so I've got a question for Linklater veterans - are any of his other movies similar? That is, are there any more movies of his that are just about the lives of normal people with a strong focus on (Seinfeldian) dialogue?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the Linklater love. Boyhood and the Before trilogy are some of my most favorite movies of all time. Before Sunrise is probably the best of those. Also, Ethan Hawke is a treasure.

I've only seen those four movies of Linklater's, so I've got a question for Linklater veterans - are any of his other movies similar? That is, are there any more movies of his that are just about the lives of normal people with a strong focus on (Seinfeldian) dialogue?
The Before trilogy and Boyhood are his masterpieces, but Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! have what you're looking for. And, I assume, Last Flag Flying is also similarly in that vein.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Finally ResetEra approved, been looking forwards to jumping into this thread.

Alternates between Paris, Texas (1984), Blade Runner (1982) and The Red Shoes (1948)​

Nicolas Roeg​

Paul Newman, Gena Rowlands, Jack Nicholson​

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Anything besides musicals​

Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence (1974) or Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia (1962)​

I'm currently staying with friends in an historic stone brick ex-monastery for a Halloween break in the Forest of Dean and tonight is Evil Dead trilogy night, what could be better?

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll check those movies out.

Fingers crossed that Last Flag Flying is going to be good. The cast is fantastic.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to do this

Paris, Texas, In A Lonely Place, and Tampopo are up there.

All time? Not sure. Current working is Denis Villeneuve, Woody Allen, and Jane Campion

Way too many to list but Ryan Gosling is current bae #1

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Sad white guy movies, Movies involving food, action films, slice of life, and musicals.

Humphrey Bogart - In A Lonely Place

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
uset letterboxd. to keep track. let's you make list too.

Thanks, yeah having spreadsheets is great but can becoming confusing. I've been using them for each year as I work through the films, but that's gonna becoming unmanageable at some point.

Yeah Before Sunrise is genuinely incredible; I was also impressed with Before Midnight too and how there was a different take on their relationship slightly (don't wanna give too much away).

The Before trilogy and Boyhood are his masterpieces, but Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! have what you're looking for. And, I assume, Last Flag Flying is also similarly in that vein.

Yep I'd agreed here. Dazed and Everyone are both very good; I actually prefer Everybody Want Some!! cause it did a great job or just capturing what your typical athletic college 'lads' are like. It did that great Linklater move thing of making you want to be there imo.

And I haven't seen Last Flag Flying ...

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So the 24 hour horror film marathon in Philly was a bit of a disaster. At around the 7th film mark, water started leaking from upstairs (which houses international college students for, I think, UPenn) and into the lobby. It seemed everyone was fine with the flooding until someone of real importance came in at 6am and evacuated everyone from the building. At 8am they said they were shutting it down.

In case anyone's interested in what was shown...

1. Anguish
2. Pumpkinhead
3. The Changeling
4. The Mist
5. Cemetery Man
6. It Came Without Warning
7. Satan's School For Girls
8. I, Madman
9. Trick or Treats
10. Super Inframan
11. The Unseen (played for about a minute or two before the fire alarms went off)

Edit: all films were 35mm prints with the exception of Satan's School For Girls which was 16mm.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
So the 24 hour horror film marathon in Philly was a bit of a disaster. At around the 7th film mark, water started leaking from upstairs (which houses international college students for, I think, UPenn) and into the lobby. It seemed everyone was fine with the flooding until someone of real importance came in at 6am and evacuated everyone from the building. At 8am they said they were shutting it down.

In case anyone's interested in what was shown...

1. Anguish
2. Pumpkinhead
3. The Changeling
4. The Mist
5. Cemetery Man
6. It Came Without Warning
7. Satan's School For Girls
8. I, Madman
9. Trick or Treats
10. Super Inframan
11. The Unseen (played for about a minute or two before the fire alarms went off)

Edit: all films were 35mm prints with the exception of Satan's School For Girls which was 16mm.
damn bruh that sucks. What did you guys eat during all of this

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
damn bruh that sucks. What did you guys eat during all of this
Yeah. I took part of Without Warning off because I saw that same print at an event somewhat recently and grabbed some pizza. There was a Wawa nearby so we were stocked up on caffeine and snacks. It actually wasn't that bad trying to stay up. Rested my eyes a bit during Inframan too. Funny thing is after waiting outside for 2 hours (it was beautiful out) we grabbed bagels and went back to my friend's apartment and watched a movie before getting some sleep.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Yeah. I took part of Without Warning off because I saw that same print at an event somewhat recently and grabbed some pizza. There was a Wawa nearby so we were stocked up on caffeine and snacks. It actually wasn't that bad trying to stay up. Rested my eyes a bit during Inframan too. Funny thing is after waiting outside for 2 hours (it was beautiful out) we grabbed bagels and went back to my friend's apartment and watched a movie before getting some sleep.
damn dude. I couldn't do it. least yah had Wawa. that is my favorite gas station

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
damn dude. I couldn't do it. least yah had Wawa. that is my favorite gas station
I thought I'd be ready to bail after like the 4th film. The most I've done in a theater before that was 5 full + 1 short. Although I recently did Friday the 13th Parts 1-8 straight through with some friends and Jason Takes Manhattan was brutal.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I thought I'd be ready to bail after like the 4th film. The most I've done in a theater before that was 5 full + 1 short. Although I recently did Friday the 13th Parts 1-8 straight through with some friends and Jason Takes Manhattan was brutal.
good lord that sounds brutal. I am sure it is better with friends though

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to the You Must Remember This podcast and Longworth is covering Legosi and Karloff. One of the movies she mentioned was Mark of the Vampire starring Legosi and it sounded really interesting, but she did say it's also not very good. But I thought the idea of one of the earliest self-aware (meta) movies about horror tropes would be a good watch.

It popped up on TCM for October so I checked it out, it's only about an hour, and yeah...tirelessly dull and uninteresting other than one twist. It doesn't even look good visually, which is the biggest disappointment because it's Tod Browning (Dracula, Freaks) directing it and he could really capture tense atmosphere incredibly well. Bela is used minimally, which is fine it's technically not his movie, but all the characters and the plot at hand is just uninspired plotting trying to force a mystery just so it can get to that one twist. No investment in the characters, no sense of pace to the story as it rushes through it's 60 minutes, the dialogue is explaining everything more than feeling natural. A complete waste of time to watch and one of the worst horror films from the decade that was known for them.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Planet of the Apes (the original)

Wow. As soon as the apes show up it's all killer no filler. The underlying commentary is great, the makeup and camera work is great, Charlton Heston is badass. Thoroughly entertaining. One of those classic movies that makes me wish I was alive at the time of its release.

Oct 25, 2017
Planet of the Apes (the original)

Wow. As soon as the apes show up it's all killer no filler. The underlying commentary is great, the makeup and camera work is great, Charlton Heston is badass. Thoroughly entertaining. One of those classic movies that makes me wish I was alive at the time of its release.

Guess it finally made a monkey out of you.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I recently saw the new trilogy, other than that I've only ever seen the OG Planet of the Apes, are any of the 70s sequels worth a watch?

Just thought of asking this as well. I heard somewhere that they're mostly worth watching except for one of them. James Rolfe from Cinemassacre has a short video on the subject I believe. Any opinions here?

Guess it finally made a monkey out of you.

No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

Idk if I'd call any of his dialogue Seinfeldian—they're both "about nothing" but in actuality Seinfeld is a tightly written sitcom, where linklater better approximates truly discursive rambling—but I would vote for Dazed or Slacker next. Not thatEverybody Wants Some!! is lesser but it's him revisiting his older work basically, with Dazed being the original article (and his best film). Slacker is more experimental but sounds like what you're looking for too.

And watch School of Rock if you haven't, it's his most conventional movie and is so so good

Oct 27, 2017
I think Before Sunset is easily his best, but Dazed and Confused is for sure the most watchable movie he's made. I could watch it every night for a week and not get bored.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of Linklater, I left out Ethan Hawke and his performance in Boyhood out of my intro post, damn. That's gotta be the GOAT dad performance imo. something about Linklater and the family dynamic that he gets so well, he's probably one of the most naturalist directors I've ever seen, right next to people preceding him like Ozu and Cassavetes imo.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
speaking of Linklater, I left out Ethan Hawke and his performance in Boyhood out of my intro post, damn. That's gotta be the GOAT dad performance imo. something about Linklater and the family dynamic that he gets so well, he's probably one of the most naturalist directors I've ever seen, right next to people preceding him like Ozu and Cassavetes imo.
Ikiru is better at the top of head. that flashback

Status
Not open for further replies.