• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster games are getting very positive reviews on Steam, where only legit owners of the games can add reviews.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster is currently getting review bombed on Metacritic, seemingly for its lack of console releases. The first game in the collection sits at a staggeringly low 0.7/10, with the next two games in the series reaching 0.8 and 1.9respectively.

Only one of these many negative reviews is accompanied by text. User ddddz, who scored the game a zero, says: "The game is not available on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Square Enix says that the console version of the pixel remaster Final Fantasy depends on demand. I express my interest in the console version."

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FF1 only has 17 negative user reviews. The article makes it sound like a bigger deal than it is. Not like its some mass movement.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not in the least bit surprising, given the overall maturity of your average, capital G "Gamer." Completely unnecessary too as I imagine the delay is only so the individual games can be consolidated into one complete $59.99 package.

The pixel remasters are fantastic so far, but the way. They completely exceeded my expectations.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It is utterly stupid they aren't on consoles yet though. Part of me thinks SE is afraid they won't sell because they are "old" and look "old" so no one will pay the asking price on a PS4/5 generation device.
Though why there is no Switch version announced baffles me. Seems like the place a company like SE would think they could get away with "old" looking games.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It is utterly stupid they aren't on consoles yet though. Part of me thinks SE is afraid they won't sell because they are "old" and look "old" so no one will pay the asking price on a PS4/5 generation device.
Though why there is no Switch version announced baffles me. Seems like the place a company like SE would think they could get away with "old" looking games.

SE's decision making is baffling.

Chrono Trigger is on Steam/PC and mobile but not on consoles.

The Last Remnant got remastered on PS4 but didnt get the Steam/PC port for it - while delisting the original version on Steam....

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

The Last Remnant got remastered on PS4 but didnt get the Steam/PC port for it - while delisting the original version on Steam....

SE is truly one of the more mysterious game companies. Not because they hide their projects for years like Valve or do weird teases like Kojima, but because they make baffling business decisions. It's made all the more annoying/mysterious when they have atrocious account/support systems for their MMOs that actively turn away people TRYING to throw money at them.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Square Enix: "Please demand these games for consoles"

*People start demanding these games for consoles*

Other People:
giphy.gif

Seriously, what do ya'll expect people to do?

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Square Enix: "Please demand these games for consoles"

*People start demanding these games for consoles*

Other People:
giphy.gif

Seriously, what do ya'll expect people to do?

Ask for the games in normal channels, not throwing a tantrum using reviews to portbeg? I mean, asking your average gamer to do anything with maturity is asking a lot but...

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Review bombs suck. Capcom Arcade Stadium is the worst reviewed game in my steam account of almost 1000 by far, worse than any of the shovelware and meme games I haveā€”all because of how they sell it. Since you can't buy the games individually, but likeā€”you can't get NG master collection w/o NG3RE or DMC HD collection without DMC2. I'm worried it will affect sales and capcom porting more arcade titles as dlc to the collection.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Genuine question here, but can anyone explain to me why it always matters that anything gets review-bombed on Metacritic of all places? Like, who even cares? It's one website. I see so many articles every year about Metacritic review-bombing and I can never understand the concern.

I understand the concern when games get review-bombed on Steam since it's sometimes a sole distributor for some games, but why does it matter so much when it happens on Metacritic?

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I wonder if they are making sure all these are released the right way first on pc then the console owners could possibly get a complete pixel remaster collection with all 6 for $60? I mean i would wait just for that

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Genuine question here, but can anyone explain to me why it always matters that anything gets review-bombed on Metacritic of all places? Like, who even cares? It's one website. I see so many articles every year about Metacritic review-bombing and I can never understand the concern.

I understand the concern when games get review-bombed on Steam since it's sometimes a sole distributor for some games, but why does it matter so much when it happens on Metacritic?

Historically, dev team bonuses have been tied to a game meeting a required metascore.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm against bombed reviews.. especially in Pixel Remaster editions case because there was a good amount of efforts put into them ( minus the bad font ).

But this what SE gets for trolling the fans by not releasing these beloved games on consoles at release and we all know they are planning to do so in the future and get the extra money from double dippers.

This is really an insulting move by them and they just asked for this by upsetting the fans.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

MC matters to a lot of peole, usually the ones signing the bonus checks too.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

- The review-bombing resulted in at least one article being written about it, and it will probably be reposted on many other gaming blogs if it hasn't already.
- The articles generate threads on forums like this one.
- Now we're here posting about it.

Saying "it's one website" doesn't really reflect how news spreads when you have networks of sites that are desperate for content and they can get away with just reposting someone else's story with a minor rewrite and a link.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
The critic score though, not the user score

True, true.

I'm still opposed to metabombing generally. I'd prefer people to use the correct user feedback channels to make their point explicitly.

Contacting customer support or filling out a questionnaire where you can actually say you want the console version is far clearer than giving a game most of the reviewers haven't even played a bad score.

Metabombing just gives the wider impression that the game is of low quality or not worth purchasing at all, which isn't the case. It's more likely to hurt the chance of console ports than help it.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop paying attention to user reviews. They are beyond useless on Metacritic, and unless they can institute a system similar to Steam where it has to confirm that you own the game and can display the amount of time you've spent playing it, they would be better off nuking them from existance.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
- The review-bombing resulted in at least one article being written about it, and it will probably be reposted on many other gaming blogs if it hasn't already.
- The articles generate threads on forums like this one.
- Now we're here posting about it.

Saying "it's one website" doesn't really reflect how news spreads when you have networks of sites that are desperate for content and they can get away with just reposting someone else's story with a minor rewrite and a link.

Right, but as we've already established, it doesn't exactly affect the game in question's 'success'. TLOU2 for example was review-bombed like crazy, yet it still went on to break sales records and win awards.

Besides which, I'm pretty sure Opencritic has well and truly overtaken Metacritic in terms of a review aggregator that people really pay attention to, thus it makes even less sense to me that people pay attention to pointless review-bombing.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Some Steam user reviews are pretty good, thou.
I feel like Steam is the exception to the rule. Limiting it to only people who own the game prevents review bombing and then displaying how long a person has played the game provides needed context so you can see if someone is actually complaining about something in the game or just being a little shit. Hence why the rest of my post says that only by instituting a Steam-like system would Metacritic make user reviews worth a damn.

Uzzy

Gabeā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
A whole 17, damn. That'll tip the scales.

Games should be everywhere to be honest, I'd love a world without any exclusives. Hopefully these come to consoles soon (and hey, can we get FF7R sometime this decade?)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

They are certainly one of if not the most ass backwards company when it comes to releases of games and what those releases entail.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Square Enix makes no fucking sense. I will never understand why they aren't releasing all of their games on every platform, there is no excuse.

No wonder the FF fails to grow while other JRPGs and IPs from JP are thriving currently.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean... maybe we'd expect them to not negatively review games that they neither own nor have played?

I dunno, it seems like a legit complaint when this company withholds ports (and refuses to even comment on them) to maximize the frequency that their audience double or even triple dips on their products, thinking that their preferred platform may never be supported. It's an inherently anti-consumer practice.

Review bombing is petty, but you know what would have avoided this? Proper communication. That's it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap a whole 17 negative user reviews what a massive movement this is turning out to be

GuaranĆ”

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I feel like Steam is the exception to the rule. Limiting it to only people who own the game prevents review bombing and then displaying how long a person has played the game provides needed context so you can see if someone is actually complaining about something in the game or just being a little shit. Hence why the rest of my post says that only by instituting a Steam-like system would Metacritic make user reviews worth a damn.
yep, agreed

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Square Enix makes no fucking sense. I will never understand why they aren't releasing all of their games on every platform, there is no excuse.

No wonder the FF fails to grow while other JRPGs and IPs from JP are thriving currently.

Isn't FF like the biggest traditional JRPG by like a massive margin?

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Correct. I'm mostly talking about growth of the single player games. They keep selling it to their core group (or maybe not in this case) and aren't being consistent in expanding or growing to new audiences.

For example, porting some of the older FF games to mobile is a great idea. But not porting the same games to modern consoles makes zero.

At the same time, some of these JP IPs and JRPGs that were once not super popular globally are now super popular because they are putting the games on literally every platform possible

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I dunno, it seems like a legit complaint when this company withholds ports (and refuses to even comment on them) to maximize the frequency that their audience double or even triple dips on their products, thinking that their preferred platform may never be supported. It's an inherently anti-consumer practice.

Review bombing is petty, but you know what would have avoided this? Proper communication. That's it.

There are situations where review bombing is understandable. The developer added in MTX after release? I can see review bombing. Same for things like failing to apply updates and bug fixes to all platforms. Or maybe the developers showing themselves to hold hateful views. All of those are things that potential buyers might actually want to know. And I absolutely understand people being angry over games being released in shitty, double-dipping-encouraging ways. But all this is doing is kicking up dust and making it impossible for anyone who actually wants to use the player review score as a metric of potential quality to do so.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is, but not on every platform.
On Steam, it gets outsold by much smaller series like Tales of or... Nier, also from Square Enix.

Recently, Guilty Gear Strive had a stronger opening than any Final Fantasy ever had on the platform.
Guilty Gear outsold Final Fantasy.
Guilty Gear.

Of course their absolutely dismal releases does not justify review bombing.
The dismal quality of their ports though...

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There are situations where review bombing is understandable. The developer added in MTX after release? I can see review bombing. Same for things like failing to apply updates and bug fixes to all platforms. Or maybe the developers showing themselves to hold hateful views. All of those are things that potential buyers might actually want to know. And I absolutely understand people being angry over games being released in shitty, double-dipping-encouraging ways. But all this is doing is kicking up dust and making it impossible for anyone who actually wants to use the player review score as a metric of potential quality to do so.

I think if gaming media did better reporting on bad ports and tight-lipped, capricious port information practices, people wouldn't feel compelled to resort to this kind of review score obfuscation. Unfortunately no one holds their feet to the fire so they just move on while people feel burnt and then occasionally a small handful like these feel no other recourse than to try (and often fail) to hurt their bottom line.

"Planned to come to consoles this fall/winter/early 2022" would have completely upended the parallel discussions surrounding this game and allowed the steam/iPhone versions to build hype for console releases, while absolving the company of any hard release dates. But we know why they don't - because they want people to buy it on Steam and then also buy it on Switch. They see the JRPG audience and know those suckers will buy DQXI three times if they play their cards right.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Of course their absolutely dismal releases does not justify review bombing.
The dismal quality of their ports though...
This, and SE's pricing/availability in various regions doesn't help either. Felt like a dice roll and shrug if SE was going to release a PC port here in Japan for years until more recently. (NamcoBandai too for that matter)

On topic though, I guess this is the kind of show of demand SE wanted? This is what happens when you make statements like that with no way for them to officially do it. Next time make a twitter poll or something.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Can't say I'm bothered. It's not harassing devs on Twitter, it's just using a popular website to say that you want console ports, which we ALL do.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least it's easy enough to just plug in a switch controller to your pc and play them that way, but it really is strange that they're not on console.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they are making sure all these are released the right way first on pc then the console owners could possibly get a complete pixel remaster collection with all 6 for $60? I mean i would wait just for that

There's no chance that it will be 6 for $60. Most we will get it FF1 to FF3 for $40 and the rest for $60.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Last time a SE product got review bombed, it worked great tbh. Don't think it's a similar case now but whatever.

Historically, dev team bonuses have been tied to a game meeting a required metascore.

Gamers cares so much for metacritics scores to the point some publishers started doing this. So i think the point stands.

It's silly to say gamers care for metacritics scores because of dev bonuses when it's the opposite.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think if gaming media did better reporting on bad ports and tight-lipped, capricious port information practices, people wouldn't feel compelled to resort to this kind of review score obfuscation. Unfortunately no one holds their feet to the fire so they just move on while people feel burnt and then occasionally a small handful like these feel no other recourse than to try (and often fail) to hurt their bottom line.

"Planned to come to consoles this fall/winter/early 2022" would have completely upended the parallel discussions surrounding this game and allowed the steam/iPhone versions to build hype for console releases, while absolving the company of any hard release dates. But we know why they don't - because they want people to buy it on Steam and then also buy it on Switch. They see the JRPG audience and know those suckers will buy DQXI three times if they play their cards right.

I absolutely agree that SE is fucking up with the release of these games, and they should be released absolutely everywhere, because it's garbage not to release them everywhere. I just think that review bombing in this case only serves to create confusion, rather than actually helping anything at all. If SE is planning on holding out and getting people to double dip, the negative reviews just serve as proof that people are thirsty for the game. If somehow that's not what they're doing, all it serves to do is discourage SE from making further games similar to these pixel remasters.

Oct 26, 2017
While I can't say I agree with this instance of review bombing, I can understand being disappointed at the lack of console versions and wanting to let that be known. TBH, we'll probably get them later on but it is baffling that it's not everywhere Day 1

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's even more baffling because they released versions of Dragon Quest I, III, and III on the Switch. I honestly don't understand anything the company does.

Even the release of these pixel remasters, which are being highly regarded by fans, remain poorly marketed and probably aren't selling too great. Which they'll probably use to justify for not releasing them on consoles.

And then there's still Chrono Trigger, or a bundle of FFT: WoTL (slowdown fixed) and Tactics Ogre.

They continually make no sense when it comes to their legacy.