• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
cefe3irdjpa71.png

Reddit

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had an 81 queue on faerie yesterday, most over ever seen on a non expansion or patch day

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if this is a case of codes running out or them artifically preventing more code purcahses to avoid overloading the server.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is a case of codes running out or them artifically preventing more code purcahses to avoid overloading the server.
It's almost certainly the latter. They talked about expanding the server capacity due to how overloaded it's right now with players.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They really didn't expect the burst of popularity to hit them this way. Last year they were prepared for the new players that would come from the enhanced free trial, but these WoW refugees basically sideswiped them.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't bode well for Endwalker launch week, or month even. They better upgrade their server immediately.

ZecHarth

Mar 17, 2021
They had to do this when ARR launched too, they didn't expect the re-launch to be as busy as it was and they temporarily halted digital sales of the game as the servers couldn't anymore new players. Crazy that this seems to be happening again now, not surprised with how busy the game has gotten lately though

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
We finally see the "World of Warcraft killer" ? :P

I think the WoW devs have been trying to kill it themselves for years, it just finally happened with the combination of them being shit at what they do and a game that is actually good and people like. I would imagine the free trial thing this game has till level 60? or whatever probably helps a lot of people get hooked as well.

plutoknight09

Sep 18, 2020
They really didn't expect the burst of popularity to hit them this way. Last year they were prepared for the new players that would come from the enhanced free trial, but these WoW refugees basically sideswiped them.

And even then, this is generally a "down" period for FF14 as we are in that expansion lull, so usually the population is a bit less than usual right now.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
idk what it's like trying to create a new character right now but despite the high load I haven't really had any issues. Last night I had a queue of 72 logging in to Excalibur - the highest I think I've seen - but it was still over in like 90 seconds.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Might be the biggest turnaround in gaming history, especially considering commercial success.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I've been loving Asmongold's streams as he gets into the game. It's kinda awesome to see this WoW vet go through content I did years ago, and just having a ball with it. Other streamers like Krojak and Quazi have been going through story, maybe dipping into normal raids, and then going ahead with the story. Asmongold seems to really be digging into the game as much as possible. It's very cool.

A digital copy sold out? What witchcraft is that?
Responsible selling. They don't want to overload servers (something that they faced at ARR release, because they underestimated the number of people that wanted to play).

Compare that to EA, who has no problem selling Titanfall 1 on Steam, despite the game being completely unplayable.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty wild. Especially since the game is in it's pre-expansion lull phase.

Endwalker is gonna be huge isn't it

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hate to be 'that guy' but does anyone know anything regarding an Xbox version? I heard murmurings....then nothing?
"There are no obstacles for developing the Xbox version. We were able to undertake development and provide our service thanks to the immense efforts that Phil has invested. For that we are truly grateful!

The sole factors are the workload and the order of steps. Now when it comes to the Xbox version, there's unfortunately not much I can say presently but just that we cannot work on all the steps simultaneously and need to follow the order for proceeding with these things. Since we're currently involved in the development of Endwalker and preparing the PS5 version to follow on from the title's service on PS4, it'd be appreciated if we can return to touch upon the Xbox version once things have settled!"

www.windowscentral.com

Square Enix: An Xbox version may still be coming for Final Fantasy XIV (update)

Square Enix says the MMORPG has enough content for another five years of expansions.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could love FFXIV like everyone else does, but I'm glad Yoshi-P and his team have found a lot of success.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was honestly a good move for Square Enix to make. Stop players from joining and scaling their services so that they can ensure they receive an optimal experience.

While normally I would ridicule companies that make digital games sell out (looking at you Nintendo), I think that in this case it's more than acceptable.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was honestly a good move for Square Enix to make. Stop players from joining and scaling their services so that they can ensure they receive an optimal experience.

While normally I would ridicule companies that make digital games sell out (looking at you Nintendo), I think that in this case it's more than acceptable.
Generally speaking, you can buy XIV right now elsewhere and for cheaper anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
"There are no obstacles for developing the Xbox version. We were able to undertake development and provide our service thanks to the immense efforts that Phil has invested. For that we are truly grateful!

The sole factors are the workload and the order of steps. Now when it comes to the Xbox version, there's unfortunately not much I can say presently but just that we cannot work on all the steps simultaneously and need to follow the order for proceeding with these things. Since we're currently involved in the development of Endwalker and preparing the PS5 version to follow on from the title's service on PS4, it'd be appreciated if we can return to touch upon the Xbox version once things have settled!"

www.windowscentral.com

Square Enix: An Xbox version may still be coming for Final Fantasy XIV (update)

Square Enix says the MMORPG has enough content for another five years of expansions.
Ah....I shan't hold my breath then =_=

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
That was the case several hours ago when that was first posted, you can buy the game fine on the storefront right now.

what gets me is that you can even check this yourself how lazy are some of y'all

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
One question for a MMO newbie. How do expansions on FF14 work? Would I need to buy the base game, and all dlc? Only the latest dlc? Can I just preorder the new one and be done with it?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
It's been crazy, had over 300 person queue logging in last night which on a Sunday on a content lull is insanity.