• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
During a recent hands-on preview event for the upcoming Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker expansion, director Naoki Yoshida revealed that Square Enix's popular MMORPG recently has surpassed 24 million players. Furthermore, it is the most profitable Final Fantasy game in the series.

Speaking to the press in a digital preview event, Yoshida revealed that the player count has hit 24 million players 11 years after Final Fantasy 14 was first released. In a chart Yoshida shared with the press, Final Fantasy 14's player count back in 2015 was 4 million registered players. That number hit 10 million by the time the third expansion, Stormblood, was released in 2017, before doubling in the next four years.

www.ign.com

Final Fantasy 14 Surpasses 24 Million Players, Becomes Most Profitable Final Fantasy Game In the Series - IGN

Final Fantasy 14 has become the most profitable Final Fantasy game in the series as the MMORPG surpasses 24 million players.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely well deserved and probably my favorite game ever. So happy for the team.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
crazy how a game that big doesn't even include spanish translation

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved, hopefully his studio carries the mantle of FF for years to come

interesting quote

"You all know just how hard things were for us with the original Final Fantasy 14," Yoshida says referencing the MMORPGs infamous launch. "Since then, we were able to transform the title into one that provides a major contribution to our company's profits."

Indeed, Yoshida says Final Fantasy 14 is the most profitable title in the Final Fantasy series. "It's perhaps unbecoming of me to say but in terms of our business, we've been able to achieve great success. Moving forward, we're going to spare no expense with our investments to ensure that this game continues to be one which our players can enjoy."

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well deserved, hopefully his studio carries the mantle of FF for years to come

interesting quote

f1cdf0b8-3630-4c58-9059-0b8ebe80b1d2

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
My Steam list is full of people playing it. Well deserved, and what a turnaround. I got it Day 1 and if you'd told me it'd eventually become this big I'd have never believed you.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully S-E gives them a bigger budget going forward.

There are some Areas in the game that needs upgrades. Engine upgrade to DX12 to support modern features like ray tracing and general upgrades that allow for bigger/seamingless zones, textures upgrades, improved shadow and way more customization for all races new faces and more slider in general if possible (or even a complete overhaul including a very detailed character creator?)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Good for them, especially after how the game launched. It's not a game for me after trying it multiple times, but it's still nice to see it be successful and to see another game in the MMO space finally give WoW a run for its money.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good. They should just let Yoshi-P be in charge of FF going forward, he knows whats up. FF16 is going to turn out incredible as well under his supervision.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best game in the series, so it's deserved.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Great job by Yoshi-P and the team!

offtopic: I think it's hilarious how Sakaguchi's twitter has become a FF14 fan account lol.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I remember logging in on the first day.
I was so confused.

But this is an amazing turnaround.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

There are some Areas in the game that needs upgrades. Engine upgrade to DX12 to support modern features like ray tracing and general upgrades that allow for bigger/seamingless zones, textures upgrades, improved shadow and way more customization for all races new faces and more slider in general if possible (or even a complete overhaul including a very detailed character creator?)

I created another thread but Yoshi-P said that they would "spare no expense going forward."

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Great turnaround for the game, wow!

This has to be lifetime players, right? I wonder what the actual current subscriber count is?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember logging in on the first day.
I was so confused.

But this is an amazing turnaround.

A while back I was telling my FC mates what 1.x was like and at one point said "Guys, understand that at one point Square put out an update that was basically 'We have quests now, with exclamation points above heads and everything!'

They thought I was making that up.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Glad they were able to turn it around. I've heard nothing but good things.

I want to get into this game but I can't get past the MMO grind. Still really cool to see it turn into the success that it has.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm only level 47 but really enjoying it. Can see myself playing for awhile if I can find a decent guild.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Yoshi-P has explained many times that the issues with upgrading XIV is not budget (they have enough for that), but finding manpower that:

- Understands japanese
- Has enough experience working in MMOs
- Can easily be onboarded

So what they usually do is onboard people from other divisions, teach them how their workflow works. They have an extremely hard time finding people outside of SE.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about FFXIV and haven't played it, but those fat chocobos are so good! :D

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Great job by Yoshi-P and the team!

offtopic: I think it's hilarious how Sakaguchi's twitter has become a FF14 fan account lol.
Yes! Hahaha it warms my heart following his tweets. This is such a big compliment to the 14 team, when the father of Final Fantasy is pretty much obsessed with their game (I mean he's already almost level 60 as of today). I also love how he chose a lalafell!!