• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
A quick look at the combat aspects like UI, shortcut menu attacks, special attacks and what gauges charge what. Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Cloud's Cross-Slash now called Punisher.

wtf.

I mean, it's Cloud's best punish move on opponents in Smash in many situations but... It's Cross-Slash.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Interesting, still I think its safe to say, the combat will be nothing to write about, just like ffxv. It is surely gonna fulfill its gameplay need, but its not gonna be that great.

Still gonna play it though.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Interesting, still I think its safe to say, the combat will be nothing to write about, just like ffxv. It is surely gonna fulfill its gameplay need, but its not gonna be that great.

Still gonna play it though.

So a lot like FF7's combat then. It's not like the gameplay/combat in the original was anything particularly special, and even as someone who loves easy games, it was never even remotely challenging.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This post has been edited to prevent more derailment. It was a bad one to make.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It would have been better if you mentioned mash/tap button for basic melee attacks since some people insist that this is basically XV system lol.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This game is destined to sell millions and have a high metacritic score. We're talking 90+. This game isn't doomed at all.
There is 0% chance this game flops.
LOL you're bad at evaluating game sales then
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
You should never, ever consider a position as a business analyst in the gaming industry.

For your own sake.

OK. Just don't say that I didn't warn you.

All I'm going to say, is that most people prefer things to be the way that they are originally.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
All I know is, is that this game will flop big if it has something like FF XIII or FF XV gameplay.

Not only will it flop, it will flop big?

How much you wanna bet on this?

Anyway looks good so far. I like the dedicated guard and guarding fills up your limit break (or whatever) meter.

All I'm going to say, is that most people prefer things to be the way that they are originally.

Most people aren't purists. A lot of the people playing this game also likely won't have played FF7, or much of it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is, is that this game will flop big if it has something like FF XIII or FF XV gameplay.
This game is the way it is precisely because FFXV was such a smashing success. And it's got the FFVII branding. It will sell literally 20 million copies lifetime.

We are stuck with this shitty Hold Button To Win action battle system now...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Good video, but i think they will probably overhaul the gameplay again, FFXV Duscae 1.0 is pretty much a different game, FF7R 2015 is quite different too from 2019, but the gameplay right now looks fine imo, so i hope they just leave it & we don't get another delay.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Dude, lol.
Even if FF XIII and XV weren't your style, they sold millions and have tons of passionate fans. Lol

Considering this is a remake of the most popular Final Fantasy, this game will sell on it's name alone. Plus the amount of marketing they're likely going to put into it, this game will sell millions. It will outsell FF XV, as well.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

wrong wrong wrong

you can just play the original game in that case, no point for a remake

RE2R changed the controls and movement and other gameplay mechanics, and it's a critical and smash success

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The battle system reminds me a little of the one in the very first trailer we got from FFXIII.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

I loved FFXIII's combat system, but hated the game series it was tied to. So I would be overjoyed if they brought it the FFVII remake. IF it is FFXV combat all over again, I will be pretty disappointed. FFXV's combat was interesting but was really a let down in a few areas.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
So a lot like FF7's combat then. It's not like the gameplay/combat in the original was anything particularly special, and even as someone who loves easy games, it was never even remotely challenging.

Thats true. People stayed mostly for the story not the gameplay. Still:
We are stuck with this shitty Hold Button To Win action battle system now...
I lile a turn based system more than that.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Tempted to screenshot just in case I see you in the OT saying something like, "You know what? I bought the game!" :P
Normally id honestly say you probably right, but jrpgs usually take longer to get into open up and get your money out of so im often a little more hesitant to throw another investment on the potential backlog.
When/if its finished in ten years with all the qol improvements over time and the complete edition releases I will jump in. I just dont have that much faith in square anymore, which is crazy to me as they've been one of my favorite developer most my life.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The hottest of takes smh lol but the same folks saying shit are the first to post in OT's saying " you know fuck it I'm going to try it. That's what I call the "not feeling left out" complex.

So let it out folks it's the same dance, year after year.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'm all for changing attack names because according to the dedicated work of fan re-translators a lot of those original names were just poorly translated.
Apparently for Cross-Slash something like Curse Slash would've been more accurate and Punisher feels more in line with the act of cursing someone I guess.
Climhazzard was a definite mistake, the theory is it was supposed to be "Crime Hazard".
You start to notice a theme of law enforcement here and it makes sense to me at least because Soldier were just cops for Shinra right?

More wacky translation stuff documented here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yAT4giTPeNmCR4TCaHAiXOLlU/edit#gid=1292658812