• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
So a lot like FF7's combat then. It's not like the gameplay/combat in the original was anything particularly special, and even as someone who loves easy games, it was never even remotely challenging.
That's part of what made it possible for the rest of the game to be so good and expansive, though. A lot of what you probably liked more about the original is likely to be cut down to achieve...half-decent new combat.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
The combat in this game could be candy crush with loot boxes on your mobile phone and I'd still get the ultimate extreme collectors edition

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
That was a short and sweet little analysis, not really liking what I'm seeing though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
OK. Just don't say that I didn't warn you.

All I'm going to say, is that I and thus most people prefer things to be the way that they are originally.
About that.....
mAFzmwg.png

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
All I know is, is that this game will flop big if it has something like FF XIII or FF XV gameplay.
Yeah, nope.
As much as I hated FFXV battle system, it was still good for most people and the game sold pretty well.Tthe game will not flop simply because it's not turn based, you may keep dreaming this will happen and send SQEX a message, but it simply won't. Plus: Just like kh3, Hype alone will sell FFVIIRE.
It's best to people to let go of turn based main Final Fantasy games, it's not happening again.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's FFXV combat after all, meh. It's fun and flashy, but very restrictive and repetitive.

What happens if you don't switch to the other party members? Are they going to be handled by AI?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is, is that this game will flop big if it has something like FF XIII or FF XV gameplay.
Yes, because as the millions of copies that were sold of each game have proven, those games were disasters that absolutely nobody enjoyed and spread positive word of mouth for.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So it's FFXV combat after all, meh. It's fun and flashy, but very restrictive and repetitive.

What happens if you don't switch to the other party members? Are they going to be handled by AI?
Turn based combat it's restrictive and repetitive... You simply select commands from a list. I like turn based combat but it's not like it's dynamic or non repetitive, it isn't.
And, no, it's not like ffxv combat.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have a problem with it not being turn based, I actually welcome it being close to KH styled gameplay. I'm one of the few people here that liked FFXV despite its flaws. (please have some battle tactics and actual button presses though)

One thing I am kinda secretly hoping for is when you get into random battles, it switches the field to a separate battle screen like Star Ocean does. I don't particularly like in some RPGs where you battle right then and there cause those types of games' environments are unneccessarily big and kinda empty to navigate to accommodate the extra space to fight in.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
seems serviceable to me so far

I appreciate its simplicity compared to FF15 so far. Hopefully everything translates into a fun and involved combat system

I prefer full control in action RPGs like how Souls/Monster Hunter does it personally but it doesnt look bad.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
"All I know is, is that this game won't be bought by me but still sell millions of copies and be a financial success if it has something like FF XIII or FF XV gameplay." - SpaceCrystal

Correct you are sir. Correct you are.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned a Final Fantasy with action gameplay automatically means it's FFXV. Sick.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
really excited for the sheer variety of unique fighting styles that each character brings (which is the main reason why im looking forward to Action Combat)

Tifa and RED XIII - i can't wait

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see commands menu in action, dammit!

I also want to know where the block button is mapped and if there's a dodge role.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned a Final Fantasy with action gameplay automatically means it's FFXV. Sick.

It's very frustrating. Also still have thread titles calling it episodic which makes people think the games are going to be bite sized even though Square Enix said they'd be full 40+ hour games just like their other mainline FF games.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Cloud's Cross-Slash now called Punisher.

wtf.

I mean, it's Cloud's best punish move on opponents in Smash in many situations but... It's Cross-Slash.

I think the video's slightly confused as to what's happening. Most likely, that IS Cross-Slash being used, and not Punisher. What they call the "Special Attack Gauge" is probably just the Limit Break Gauge, and Cloud's just used it. The bar is drained, after all.

My guess is that Punisher is probably a secondary attack with special properties, and using actions from the Command Menu drains the blue bar instead. It's hard to tell for sure tho, because there doesn't seem to be any indicator of Punisher being used, unlike with the standard attack.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's very frustrating. Also still have thread titles calling it episodic which makes people think the games are going to be bite sized even though Square Enix said they'd be full 40+ hour games just like their other mainline FF games.

Hopefully all this stuff is addressed in a month and we can cut down a lot of the speculation.
Hopefully *cough* it'll make VIIR threads a bit more tolerable.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see commands menu in action, dammit!

I also want to know where the block button is mapped and if there's a dodge role.

I wonder how much freedom you get or if its similar to FF15 where you feel "Tethered" to the opponent targeted

I mean there is definitely auto targeting going on to some degree

furikuri

Oct 28, 2017

We've also learned that it'll be "hold button to win", shallow, and that the game will be a "flop".

As I've said previously, I can understand the feelings of trepidation that some people have regarding the game's combat. What I don't understand is why they've written it off entirely despite knowing absolutely nothing about it.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Cloud whack an enemy without it reacting at all... Geez

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much freedom you get or if its similar to FF15 where you feel "Tethered" to the opponent targeted

I mean there is definitely auto targeting going on to some degree

Not to the same degree I'm sure. The nature of Clouds movements don't seem choreography reliant like Noct's were.

We've also learned that it'll be "hold button to win", shallow, and that the game will be a "flop".

As I've said previously, I can understand the feelings of trepidation that some people have regarding the game's combat. What I don't understand is why they've written it off entirely despite knowing absolutely nothing about it.

It's already evident that there's no "holding the button" going on when Cloud attacks.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

They were never going to be happy with any kind of action battle system most likely.

I can understand preferring turn-based, but when someone goes "the original combat/ATB was great" that's when I have to disagree. The combat is not what made VII a good game. The ATB has always been one of the worst turn-based systems around.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
wrong wrong wrong

you can just play the original game in that case, no point for a remake

RE2R changed the controls and movement and other gameplay mechanics, and it's a critical and smash success

That is an excellent counter-point, Bhonar. I think the crux is that Resident Evil 2 was really, really well done. So, if the Final Fantasy 7 remake's combat isn't excellent, it is going to invite a LOT of criticism. It is up to Square to prove that they can actually deliver. We will see.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking... better than I expected? FF7's greatness had little to do with the battle system to be honest.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be an hour-long gamexplain analysis but this is cool too