• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Female snapchat filter:
SWWGGGk.jpg
Sorry.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
They moefied her, like Faith from Mirror's Edge (remember that ?). Nothing new from a fringe of Japanese fans, we all have those.

aixwnQj.png

(source : https://kotaku.com/once-again-some-japanese-gamers-dislike-the-look-of-mi-512420010 )

I'll get everyone to agree and say they can model Aeris after cosplayer Enji Night
The Mirror's Edge thing is news to me, I actually really like the look of that, ahem, "moefied" Faith. (Edit: Just noticed the enlarged breasts. That's... fine, I guess. lol)

But FF7R's Aerith looks great as-is. Hope they don't change it, the longer face looks better.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It took me a while to even spot the differences in the pics in the OP. I'm not going to fault some Japanese fans for voicing concerns seeing as this design seems to have slightly more western facial features which likely isn't how they picture Aeris in thier minds. That's said there's a 400+ post thread here about Barret's voice and he has all of 2 lines in the trailer.

At least the internet's propensity for maximum complaining from minimum input is a universal language.

Though I'm really interested to see what they make Tifa look like, now.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I 100% believe no one would be complaining if this new edit was what we had the entire time.

The fan version is trash.
needs more moe blob face
That fan made one is really freaky looking tbh.
Are they kidding me with the scrunched up face?!

Fucking lol.

The irony is painful. You guys are literally the exact same as the people complaining about the original.

Its not some fucking insanely exaggerated proportions we're talking here. The difference is microscopic. Its like a fucking centimeter :|

The things people complain about. Too much time on their hands I guess.
You just described this entire thread lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm used to fan edits dramatically improving upon the original (see the edits for Sonic or the new TMNT movies), but this is a terrible effort. It is amazing that such a minimal adjustment can still be such a downgrade.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This fan edit is just one effort one person did. this thread is about the actual posts people are having about the design being ugly...and looking like a man or a gorilla...trying to defuse criticisms of stupid complaints isnt gonna work!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% believe no one would be complaining if this new edit was what we had the entire time.

The irony is painful. You guys are literally the exact same as the people complaining about the original.

Its not some fucking insanely exaggerated proportions we're talking here. The difference is microscopic. Its like a fucking centimeter :|

Changing a centimeter is a huge difference when working with a relatively realistic art style. Her facial proportions are spaced like a prepubescent but her skull size and ear placement wasn't really taken into account for the edit. Not saying SE couldn't make her face shorter but it looks weird/uncanny now.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Changing a centimeter is a huge difference when working with a relatively realistic art style. Her facial proportions are spaced like a prepubescent but her skull size and ear placement wasn't really taken into account for the edit. Not saying SE couldn't make her face shorter but it looks weird/uncanny now.
To be fair, it is a cheap fan edit. If changed by Square to give her proportions like that it would probably look better.

Edit: oh wait, you already said that. Now I feel dumb

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The reality of remaking a game whose character design always had some level of abstraction into a photorealistic cinematic endeavour is that you will not please everybody. People have had twenty years to visualise these characters in their minds, and that's gonna chafe for certain people.

Aerith's redesign is fine.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
People in the industry.. actually in all industries, need to stop listening to fans complaining.
idk. it's all about properly processing feedback. when working on things it's not uncommon to get tunnel vision. That being said fans can easily get hyperbolic and vocal minority is a thing cause you're more likely to speak up when unsatisfied than give praise when satisfied.

Design by committee and focus group opinions are a whole other thing though.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the remake design is good but I still prefer her design in advent children. Tifas too and Clouds.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
idk. it's all about properly processing feedback. when working on things it's not uncommon to get tunnel vision. That being said fans can easily get hyperbolic and vocal minority is a thing cause you're more likely to speak up when unsatisfied than give praise when satisfied.

Design by committee and focus group opinions are a whole other thing though.
99% of AAA productions have focus groups.

Oct 27, 2017
The Mirror's Edge thing is news to me, I actually really like the look of that, ahem, "moefied" Faith. (Edit: Just noticed the enlarged breasts. That's... fine, I guess. lol)

But FF7R's Aerith looks great as-is. Hope they don't change it, the longer face looks better.
The fanmade Faith looks ok but the original is fine, the is absolutely no need changing her. That's what pisses me off, prettying and making characters more moe for the sake of it.

SoldnerKei

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Racial Slur.
huh, I mean, she looks... fine?? but sure you could argue there are women who look a decade younger than their actual age, but c'mon, she shouldn't look around Yuffie's age, like yeah, sorry japs, but keep her as she is.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I think the new designs are a successful translation of the old anime designs to a stylized, yet more realistic style. The fan version looks a bit creepy, like an animated doll.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible. Her face looks more mature in the original.

Or is this image saying the left is more Western in appearance and the right is more Japanese in terms of appearance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mjolnir

Alt account
Banned
May 2, 2019
ugh, this is beyond ridiculous and it's already making me dread the actual release of this game.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I look forward to an endless amount of threads about FF7R beginning with the phrase "Some fans are complaining about ...."

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. People tend to forget that at 22, Aerith is one of the oldest FF female protagonists.
Not only that but I'd venture to say that at 22 she must be THE oldest female love interest to a main male character in JRPG history.

We've had older female main characters in JRPGs before but to have one that old and be a love interest I think may be unheard of.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... /facepalm

Aerith's new face is beautiful. She looks rather mature, and is still charming. I'll take that over any chickification attempt.

This "uproar" is utterly ridiculous.

Jesus, if some people are making a big deal over this (and I can't stress enough just how dumb I find this knee-jerk reaction), I dread to read the inevitable shitstorm upon Tifa's reveal over something stupidly minor (here, let's take a guess: some people will find her skirt too long or too short).

Let's make it a drinking game! Each time someone on the internet complains about FF7R (despite the fact this game is not yet released, and probably won't be for a long while), take a shot.
Please don't do that, you won't survive.

Last edited: