• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Cloud looks awfully similar to Noctis honestly, it's like they just swapped the wigs and made minor facial adjustments, if any.

I think they need to mix it up in art direction, even if just a little bit.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that but I'd venture to say that at 22 she must be THE oldest female love interest to a main male character in JRPG history.

We've had older female main characters in JRPGs before but to have one that old and be a love interest I think may be unheard of.
I'm fairly sure there's a 1000 years old love interest in a harem JRPG somewhere.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
1 trailer and we already have people complaining about Barrat not being black enough and Aerith not looking japanese enough. What a time to be alive, Someone take me back to 1997 please.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those times where I experience a visceral feeling of revulsion at otaku/weaboo culture(whatever you want to call it).

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh hey guys I'm here from the Barrett thread let me just get caught up here

ctrl+f "outrage culture"

Huh. That's, ah, interesting, shall we say. I wonder what the difference is.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Imagine thinking Aerith doesn't look absolutely perfect in remake. Hope they give Tifa a strong jaw just to spite this no taste motherfuckers.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ctrl+f "outrage culture"

People complaining about a nonexistant whitewashing of a black character is not the same as otaku whining about their beloved waifu not looking like a cute anime teenager (and she shouldn't). I mean theyre both dumb in their own way but for vastly different reasons.

Im not sure what youre trying to be quippy here about.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's nothing against the people posting in the thread; I think we almost all agree the model from the trailer is good. I just think it's interesting that people are only coming in with lots throwaway posts about outrage culture striking again in one of these threads, despite the complaints inspiring the thread being significantly more petty and pointless. Aerith looks good though I keep thinking she looks like my flesh-and-blood sister in an uncanny way.

(For the record I think Barrett's skin color probably hasn't changed, but I don't really like the way they modeled his hair.)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nothing against the people posting in the thread; I think we almost all agree the model from the trailer is good. I just think it's interesting that people are only coming in with lots throwaway posts about outrage culture striking again in one of these threads, despite the complaints inspiring the thread being significantly more petty and pointless. Aerith looks good though I keep thinking she looks like my flesh-and-blood sister in an uncanny way.

(For the record I think Barrett's skin color probably hasn't changed, but I don't really like the way they modeled his hair.)
Your sister looks like FF7R Aerith? Stealth brag!
Could I meet her?

Its okay to not like Barret's hair (although I'd argue its pretty consistent with his old concept art) but to say that his hair not being curly makes him less black just rubs me the wrong way (not saying its your case but others have said somethings like that).

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Not only that but I'd venture to say that at 22 she must be THE oldest female love interest to a main male character in JRPG history.

We've had older female main characters in JRPGs before but to have one that old and be a love interest I think may be unheard of.

FFXV had Lunafreya as 24 to Noctis' 20. Of course the time-skip fuckery rendered him older than her in the end...
How sad it is that it took that many years for SE to have another 20+ yr old FF heroine after Aerith is another discussion, though :/ Lightning is 20-21, but she doesn't get to have a love interest.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV had Lunafreya as 24 to Noctis' 20. Of course the time-skip fuckery rendered him older than her in the end...
How sad it is that it took that many years for SE to have another 20+ yr old FF heroine after Aerith is another discussion, though :/ Lightning is 20-21, but she doesn't get to have a love interest.

Actually when I said female protagonists I meant female playable characters. Luna is NPC.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda gone full 90s anime.
heV6d5Y.png

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Actually when I said female protagonists I meant female playable characters. Luna is NPC.

I didn't see your comment and wasn't replying to it. It hardly matters to make the distinction between a playable main character like Aerith and a non-playable main character like Luna. The same holds true either way - that it is too rare to see women over the age of 21 in a key role in a JRPG.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Fan remake is bad. Her face went from an adult woman to some pseudo teenage-like abomination, and it's pretty off putting for me TBH.

Japans' obsession with the child-like innocence of youth is really creepy sometimes.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ctrl+f "outrage culture"

I mean the two are of course varying levels of severity, but I just checked through the barret threads cause I was curious and in each thread only 1 person uses that term specifically. I wouldnt say its rampant in one thread and not the other.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
This line comes up a lot in some manga stories I've read, so I guess it's like an idiom or something.

Either that or Japan has really cute gorillas.

It's just a metaphor for being unattractive, which is funny considering that handsome gorilla the Japanese internet was going crazy over a while back.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kawakami in P5 must be around 26, 27.
I was talking to someone who said Aerith is a female protagonist (she is). Kawakami is most definitely NOT a protagonist. Shes not even part of the main party not is she playable. She may be an (optional) love interest but shes not a female protagonist/main character thats also a love interest.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Both are...fine? I don't get the people acting like the fan one is terrible just because it's slightly for anime-influenced.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
I think round faces are generally found more attractive in Japan, both in arts media (anime, manga, videogames etc...) and in reality.

People in arts are generally taught that to make a female figure attractive you have to soften the round lines (not talking about breasts, but everything from arms to shoulders to the face etc...)

To make a male figure attractive you instead have to accentuate angular lines.

If you google Anime Guy and Anime Girl you can get an idea.

I like the "long face" Aeris myself, hopefully they'll keep the design.

Looking forward to see Yuffie, I'm genuinely curious how they will render her.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only weird thing is that despite not looking anime she still acts anime: the weird bending over for no reason, the "blink and nod at the same time" head movement, the way she holds her flower basket with a twisted arm, etc.
She actually does this in the original and almost all appearances after so I'm glad they kept it.