• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 26, 2018
I think round faces are generally found more attractive in Japan, both in arts media (anime, manga, videogames etc...) and in reality.

People in arts are generally taught that to make a female figure attractive you have to soften the round lines (not talking about breasts, but everything from arms to shoulders to the face etc...)

To make a male figure attractive you instead have to accentuate angular lines.

If you google Anime Guy and Anime Girl you can get an idea.

I like the "long face" Aeris myself, hopefully they'll keep the design.

Looking forward to see Yuffie, I'm genuinely curious how they will render her.

She'll probably, completely reasonably, have facial proportions a lot like how those particular Japanese dudes want Aerith to have. Because she's the cute young SUPERHYPERULTIMAJAPANESE girl.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Right version looks like "generic jrpg woman #7284". The left version actually has a bit of character to her face.

Also, what is it with people trying to be backseat artists these days? Let the studio do their thing. People are acting as if they were the ones to come up with Aerith to begin with.

Oct 27, 2017
Aerith looks great, and squishing her head down into a circle in no way improves the design. I hope SE has the courage of their convictions on all these nickel and dime complaints. Make the game you want!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Nope she's absolutely fine.

They're just angry she looks like a 20 year old instead of a 16 year old.
Yeah this is the annoying part. She's older than Cloud (22 ->21) and they want her to look like she's still a teen.

One thing I like about the FF VII cast is that there are a variety of ages, with a lot of characters in their 20s and 30s. They should look the part. You have practically every other JRPG ever made if you want teen protags.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah this is the annoying part. She's older than Cloud (22 ->21) and they want her to look like she's still a teen.

One thing I like about the FF VII cast is that there are a variety of ages, with a lot of characters in their 20s and 30s. They should look the part. You have practically every other JRPG ever made if you want teen protags.
I liked this too even as a kid, yeah.

Although I'll forever find it hilarious that Cid is only 32 years old, yet looks and acts like a guy nearing his 50s or already there. This is even his description: "Cid is a tough talking, warm-hearted old pilot who hasn't forgotten his dreams..."

That's JRPGs for you I guess, you might as well be a corpse if you're over 20 lol.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As a designer fuck that re edit, her face was always considered to be long in her original design. Is Tifa who has a rounder face. They are both designs trait that work with their character traits.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

Although I'll forever find it hilarious that Cid is only 32 years old, yet looks and acts like a guy nearing his 50s or already there. This is even his description: "Cid is a tough talking, warm-hearted old pilot who hasn't forgotten his dreams..."

That's JRPGs for you I guess, you might as well be a corpse if you're over 20 lol.
Yeah it's funny, especially considering Barret is 35. Cid's age should have been at least 40 to keep some consistency lol.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Lots of talk about Aerith and Tifa when all I want to see is this suave motherfucker:
latest

Look at him. Look at his ridiculous outfit.
Yeah it's funny, especially considering Barret is 35. Cid's age should have been at least 40 to keep some consistency lol.
Fighting for the planet must keep you young!

Oct 25, 2017
I actually do think her face looks somewhat unnaturally long in the new design, but then I also don't like the look of any of the new / Advent Children era designs. They're just not at all what I pictured compared to how the original game designs made me feel, in terms of what character they seem to innately express. Honestly I just don't think the key traits of their designs were ever going to be adaptable to the realistic / hyperreal style sported by most current AAA games.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Some fans complained? Why I never. Did they make a petition too?

To be fair, the redesign looks good. But the original is also fine.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of talk about Aerith and Tifa when all I want to see is this suave motherfucker:
latest

Fighting for the planet must keep you young!

The double coat. I cannot.

I hope he gets an increased role though. I know Sephiroth is the established villain, but Shinra are still the villains for two thirds of the game.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Game isn't even out yet and people are nitpicking about the designs. It's not as bad as I thought, but I guess it's expected considering how much the game means to some people. I thought her design was great. I'm kind of tired or the doll anime face look of FF characters. So the more they distance themselves from that i'm good. The main FF XV characters were great because of this. With the exception being Young Noctis. He looked out of place until the older version.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The double coat. I cannot.

I hope he gets an increased role though. I know Sephiroth is the established villain, but Shinra are still the villains for two thirds of the game.
I'm quite worried about the quality of anything new they want to add, but you know what? I really want to see more of Rufus and Shinra as well. I always felt they were left behind way too quickly, even if they are one the "goals" of the party for a sizable chunk of the game.

It should be easy to expand on them too. Lots of room.

5c9c81a3aac1fd4f6eaefdb7b9d91d97.jpg

Same energy. (minus the gun)
Make this happen Nomura. I need more Japanese creators infatuated with the Mads.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i really dislike the fact, that "fans" are intermeddling when the Artists are creating their stuff.

seeing this so many times sucks.
if something serious is involved such as whitewashing or politics, this is something different, but cmon, it does not affect the game at all

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
the other one looks like an INFANT CHILD who is 8 MONTHS OLD like if you also have hyperbolic opinions about bad fan redesigns

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe by "old pilot" the wonky English translation meant "former pilot" or something

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
She looks like the non anime depictions of the past. It's fine.

Have to admit I've never liked the modern Cloud render but it's hard to translate cartoon anime style into fully modeled realistic face. I just feel he looks a bit stiff and serious, needs to be a bit mischievous or cheeky looking.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Maybe by "old pilot" the wonky English translation meant "former pilot" or something
Could be that too, actually.

Still, poor guy's rough life has taken a toll on him. I remember being very surprised when I found out (in the manual I think?) that he was older than Barret.

dude dresses like Michael Jordan
Lmao.

You're not lying. Down to the very damn pose even.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
She looks great, stop being silly Japan! If we have these reactions already it makes perfect sense why they're not showing Tifa lol.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Is that a long coat with a cuff under his jacket? lolol
It was the 90s man, don't judge smh.

Yeah, gotta say, wouldn't mind if they get rid of a layer of clothes, that lab coat underneath is ridiculous. Keep the jacket and the bagginess of the suit, though. Cloud's pants are still quite baggy and that's really cool.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I understand, I mean slightly more swagger or just tiny bit cooler looking.

2ivxzmL.jpg

He looks a bit mumsy looking to me. They've been consistent with it since going fully 3D. If people like the look then no problem. It's just never appealed to me since they unveiled it in the 2000s.
They've changed his look since then.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a dumb "controversy". Not only it's the same kind of people as ever that are doing that but they are on the minority compared to the gaming otaku in Japan who are defending the design when they saw those criticism. It's like people picked the minority of the side in shitholes like 5ch and some minor blogs to make some trending on twitter and youtube. And it's impressive at how they always pick on those to make it.

If otaku had their way, Aerith would be 12.
you can just say otaku to save time

Well, good luck finding japanese talking about games on twitter or internet which aren't gaming otaku my friend. You probably don't know but if you're on highschool and play games, you will be called otaku even if you don't consider yourself to be one. The "socially accepted age" in japan to be playing games is before highschool, otherwise, people will generalize you to be an otaku if they see you doing that or you admit it.

Also, it's ironic that you say that when the very otaku you talk about disagree with others and are defending the design that SE made. Interesting, no? It's such a fascinant concept how otaku have different opinions and visions with a group having more or less in quantity. Almost sound like they're human beings. :O

I guess to be clear, my ideal is that people should have their own ideas of beauty and not shit on other people, particularly women, for failing to meet it. If you wanna jack off to moeblob Aerith that's fine, but don't shit on the creators for going in a different direction. The culture of entitlement that surrounds a lot of weebdom is toxic as fuck.

How japanese even can be considered weeb my dude.

Ugh so it's a thing in Japan they complain about too huh? How is the official Aeris political correctness? She just doesn't look súper animeish (just a tad). Christ

Of course. Japan much like every country in the world has people on the politic spectrum. There's a reason for why ultra nationalists exists and why the government is pretty much dominated by the right for some time. And the japanese internet isn't that different than the english one in many aspects if you look at it, it's pretty similar.

People complaining about a nonexistant whitewashing of a black character is not the same as otaku whining about their beloved waifu not looking like a cute anime teenager (and she shouldn't). I mean theyre both dumb in their own way but for vastly different reasons.

Im not sure what youre trying to be quippy here about.

The same people defending the design and complaining about it are otaku. Which for the second, they're far on the minority and mostly on shitholes like 5ch and minor blogs out there.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Turtle neck > lab coat > jacket, my god
sounds pretty sweaty

PS they shrunk her head but not her ears. look at those big ass alfred e newman ears